• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

TheOddOne said:
Support is such a awesome class, got 16-0 today :lol

The nice thing is that I feel like all the classes have their moments and uses. Normally I eat up assassins but last night this one guy playing that class just kept wrecking me. No matter what I did he had a counter for it. I like that something like that can happen.

Dan Yo

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
The nice thing is that I feel like all the classes have their moments and uses. Normally I eat up assassins but last night this one guy playing that class just kept wrecking me. No matter what I did he had a counter for it. I like that something like that can happen.
Yes, I can't think of one class that is considerably worse than others, just classes that might take a little more learning and a change in play style to use effectively.

In some cases, an assassin might be the only counter to a dominant sniper. Having a good mix of classes is always for the best.

TheOddOne

Stoney Mason said:
Yeah, their all well balanced.

Dan Yo

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Yeah, their all well balanced.
Well there were a few issues with the support that they are working out. I think the sniper could use a little tweaking as well as a team of snipers can dominate a few of the maps without much repercussion if the opposing team doesn't have as many snipers.

Other than that, the classes are all pretty even.

Versus games always have some kind of balance problems but MNC is one of those titles where the balance straight off the bat is really good, extremely well balanced for launch.

Atomski

TheOddOne said:
Support is such a awesome class, got 16-0 today :lol
I went 44-2 using the tank. I often do amazing with him. Mostly cause theres like 3 assassins on the other team and I just mop the floor with them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dan Yo said:
Well there were a few issues with the support that they are working out. I think the sniper could use a little tweaking as well as a team of snipers can dominate a few of the maps without much repercussion if the opposing team doesn't have as many snipers.

Other than that, the classes are all pretty even.
Aren't Assassins were pretty much the Sniper counter?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
SapientWolf said:
Yeah, they own snipers... assassins for some reason don't like to jump over clear freeze mine choke points or evade shaveice (shaveice will fuck you up yo, sucks no one ever invests in them... they're probably the 2nd best base defense behind a lvl3 rocket turret)

Dan Yo

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I already mentioned assassins as the sniper counter, but snipers have freeze traps that are almost a little too effective at keeping attackers away. Also, often times I'm on a team that have neither assassins or snipers. Or at least any that are effective. If that's the case the sniper will have a field day.

Dan Yo

Banned
Atomski said:
I went 44-2 using the tank. I often do amazing with him. Mostly cause theres like 3 assassins on the other team and I just mop the floor with them.
That's extremely impressive. I think my record is 52-6 with the gunner. I got the 25-0 tag but that was with a very generous support following me around and for some reason that doesn't happen often for me. We won that game relatively quickly so I didn't get to see how far I could go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A day later I got my 200 points. It's fun, although if the teams are unbalanced, matches tend it end in a few minutes.

I take it that it's going to take ages to unlock all 5 custom classes though.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
Patch List is pretty great. My only suggestions...

1. Ice Trap is OP for snipers, either nerf it or reduce it to only 1 out at a time.

2. Sniper level 3 explosive rounds are a bit too much. Maybe have the explosion only affect bots and do normal damage on pros. You can kill a deployed level 3 gunner with 3 body shots.

3. Support can toss out air strikes like candy once they are level 3. They gotta reduce the timer on that.

I just know about these because I abuse the hell out of them as they are :lol

kai3345

Banned
AnimatorZombie said:
Patch List is pretty great. My only suggestions...

1. Ice Trap is OP for snipers, either nerf it or reduce it to only 1 out at a time.

2. Sniper level 3 explosive rounds are a bit too much. Maybe have the explosion only affect bots and do normal damage on pros. You can kill a deployed level 3 gunner with 3 body shots.

3. Support can toss out air strikes like candy once they are level 3. They gotta reduce the timer on that.

I just know about these because I abuse the hell out of them as they are :lol
wouldnt that let them throw them out faster :p

Dan Yo

Banned
Can you actually get the titles from private games? Someone invited me to a room with a bunch of people claiming they were going to go for the 6 kill multikill title. I left the room because I hate doing stuff like that for titles, but if it is possible, then I suppose getting the titles is less interesting to me.

Does anyone know how it works?

AnimatorZombie said:
Fuck it, give every class airstrike bombs.
wugspj.jpg

Mounted gunner is still too weak and pointless imo, you gain some crit from it but yeah as a sniper they are standing meat, same with a deployed tank.

I abuse the ice mines too and I think a nice tweak for them would be to not have the enemy completely frozen in place but reduce speed instead, level 1's will half your speed and instead of 2's and 3's holding you still they should just knock your movement to 1/4, level 3's drain skill too so they are powerful just to leave in choke points to stop assassins and other classes using skills.

Dan Yo

Banned
Diablohead said:
wugspj.jpg

Mounted gunner is still too weak and pointless imo, you gain some crit from it but yeah as a sniper they are standing meat, same with a deployed tank.

I abuse the ice mines too and I think a nice tweak for them would be to not have the enemy completely frozen in place but reduce speed instead, level 1's will half your speed and instead of 2's and 3's holding you still they should just knock your movement to 1/4, level 3's drain skill too so they are powerful just to leave in choke points to stop assassins and other classes using skills.
Either only allowing one mine at a time, making it a remote charge rather than proximity charge, having it reduce speed rather than completely freeze, allowing pros to shoot it and blow it up if they notice it before running into it, reducing the amount of time someone remains frozen, or making it so that the freeze only effects the one person who caused it to detonate rather than everyone that steps on it after as well .... all good solutions to the freeze trap problem.

Has anyone been experiencing a high amount of lag? 80% of the games i go into now lag like none other, to the point of being unplayable.

RadicalRad said:
Has anyone been experiencing a high amount of lag? 80% of the games i go into now lag like none other, to the point of being unplayable.

I've also had a lot of lag, but just figured it was my connection.

Palmer_v1

My biggest problems with the Sniper Ice traps are that "destroying" them actually just triggers them, so the Sniper still knows you're there, and is still safe since you can't walk through the ice, and that the cooldown resets even when all are placed, meaning even if you survive an ice trap, or blow it up safely from a distance, they can usually just toss another one down immediately.

I've gotten really good with Assassin recently. The key is just pushing the bot lanes, and only going after Pros if directly confronted, or if you see a really easy kill. I use Gold Rate of Fire, Silver Armor(most front grabs don't kill me this way), and Bronze Speed. It really comes together when you get Stealth upgraded to 3. After that, every shuriken you shoot should be a crit if you're doing it right. I only use my sword to kill groups of bots, and to kill turrets when I juice, which is often.

A full length match, I usually end around 20-10, with 50+ bot kills, 10+ turret kills, and 6+ Juices. I also use my mobility to grab the Ejectors and Annihilator pretty often, not to mention killing their Jackbot XL ASAP.

I only have issues with other Assassins, and Snipers to a degree. Assassins because I'm not playing very stealthily, and I'm an easy grapple kill when using my shuriken. Snipers because I can't get close enough to kill them thanks to Freeze traps. OTOH, my speed makes me hard to snipe, and I can usually hit them with enough Shurikens that they retreat.

Snipers have officially ruined the game for me... snipers are OP and the people that play them know it... so much ice mine abuse its stupid.

And why does a sniper's grapple to my front kill me right after he survives my frontal grapple with a katana?

Both sniper's grapple and ice mines are out of control. As people realize this you see a steep increase in sniper players. They need to fix it or soon everyone will be a sniper, just to be able to counter all the snipers.

Assassin's who should be the counter to a sniper are basically just free kills for a good sniper. Even smoke jumping over a sniper's mine (notice singular) doesn't stop you from getting frozen by the second they just threw down at their own feet or the fact that their grapple will one shot you from the front.

Palmer_v1

Other things I wish would be patched and/or balanced:

Assault Grenades should be able to be thrown farther. The Support can chuck their Air Strikes easily twice as far, and are much stronger as well.

Assault's grenade launcher would be more useful if it had a slightly larger explosion radius, so it worked better against groups of bots.

Gunner's grapple skill is almost completely worthless, as is the Level 3 Deploy upgrade. For the grapple, the only remotely useful thing to do with it is grapple stall someone who is juiced.

There's a list of things caused by lag in general too. Successfully jumping over Ejectors/Jackbots/Gunner Slams, shooting at smaller characters who are on the move, grapples failing, etc.

Also getting really annoyed at people jumping on top of the walls in various places.

Dan Yo

Banned
Waiting for this patch to come out is a excruciating. Still no ETA on it?

Anyone here get a chance to play the updated version at PAX? Any impressions?

Elixist

Dan Yo said:
Found some footage of the new free DLC map which was playable at PAX. Spunky Cola Arena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7YUG37Ob4

Dear God I can't wait for the update and new DLC. Halo Reach hasn't even been on my mind at all since I bought this game.

I know what you mean man, I'm still hella excited for Reach, but after playing a shitload of this I cant help but feel that I'm gonna be a lil disappointed with Reach's freshness factor. Awesome footage btw thank you. This arena looks really fun, hope they go out on a limb for future levels an change em up a bit. Like a level built into a mountain, with cool tunnels and their standard red and blue metal and glass mixed into organic rock. Also hope they add some more classes would be dope.

SInce they announced that huge title update i've not really played, waiting for all the fixes before I dip back in, having players quit one in two games was just annoying me enough to put the game to one side until it was looked at. Can't wait though it must be any day now unless it failed for some reason.

Dan Yo

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Yeah, map looks great, but they are starting to look.....samey.

I cant even name all of the to be honest.
Well they take place in arenas. That's the aesthetic of all the maps. The layouts are the main difference.

Palmer_v1

Mikey Jr. said:
Yeah, map looks great, but they are starting to look.....samey.

I cant even name all of the to be honest.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but in the "sports competition" context, it makes sense that they are similar in appearance. All baseball stadiums, football arenas, or hockey rinks look identical as well.

Dan Yo

Banned
I'm having a difficult time getting some of my friends into the game based on the demo. It doesn't help that half an hour is not sufficient enough time for some to grasp this game. 6 classes with multiple abilities + a fresh concept for how to play a class based shooter is proving to be an arduous sell with what little time they give in the demo.

Mikey Jr.

Atomski said:
Whatever happened to the title update and dlc? I started the game up today and still see no update :/.

@thekiko It's in MS's hands... has been for some time. :( 1:59 PM Oct 6th via TweetDeck in reply to thekiko
#

@red_scott It's taking way longer than it's supposed to. 12:12 PM Oct 6th via TweetDeck in reply to red_scott

@JKxZ thanks! 12:11 PM Oct 6th via TweetDeck in reply to JKxZ

We're checking daily on the Title Update but we don't have a specific date yet, it's in Microsoft's hands.

Basically, MS certification is poop. They gave it to them on September 16th.

Atomski

Ah ok. I check their website but didnt see any info. Real bummer, I have been hearing how ms is backed up on dlc stuff. Hope they get it out soon I kinda want to get back into this game but theres a few things in the current version that annoy me.

Such a shame that microsoft's cert time is whacked, I have been waiting for the update before I continue to play the game but it's been so long now :/ I feel sorry for Uber having to put up with it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I really can't wait to get back in to this. Reach has taken up all my MP time of late, but once that update hits I'm heading back in for reals.

*edit* yeah yeah i'm late :p will update the OP.

Update is out! and some juicy news:

mnc_celebrate_824.jpg

This calls for a celebration!

The Title Update is out now and will download next time you start up Monday Night Combat on Xbox Live. Along with a ton of fixes and gameplay balance, we’ve increased the Trial time to 60 minutes. If you already have the Trial and have used up your 30 minutes, guess what, you get 30 more. For those of you haven’t downloaded the game yet, you get a full 60 minutes of bacon goodness over Xbox Live and unlimited Local Blitz play.

Also, to celebrate this momentous occasion, follow http://twitter.com/uberent for lots of free code giveaways of full versions of Monday Night Combat for the rest of the week.

So what took so long?

Our general philosophy on Monday Night Combat is that it is a service based model of game. For a multiplayer game like ours to be successful, we need to adjust balance, fix exploits, and add new content based on feedback from our community and do it quickly. Unfortunately for the our first Title Update, which was handed off to Microsoft for certification over a month ago, got caught up in a perfect storm of software changes and tons of new games coming out. This caused our Title Update to get backlogged along with other smaller titles. They tell us this won’t happen again in the future so our first free DLC should be out sooner than later. We’ll have announcements of what’s in that DLC in the coming weeks.

List of changes and fixes in the Title Update

Following things were changed this morning:

-Sniper Grapple Level 2 and 3 damaged retuned
-Matchmaking adjustments, should help for laggy games (will continue to adjust this week)
-Ring outs pay $75 instead of $125
-Adjusted Tank death blossom damage (increased max damage with a full clip)

Trial Game
Extended trial time to 60 minutes from 30.

Connectivity and Multiplayer:
Reworked the way we handle parties in the pregame lobby to avoid splitting them up.
Fixed several issues where host migration would fail immediately.
Decreased wait time after a successful host migration.
Lobbies will now host migrate and not kick you back to the main menu.
If the host leaves during the end of match sequence, the host will migrate and players will return back to the lobby and not the main menu.
Optimized the time it takes to migrate hosts, shortening the time to migrate.
Improved weapon hit detection in high lag situations.
Fixed endorsements being incorrect after a host migration.
Fixed getting into private matches without an invite.

General Gameplay:
Fixed players being able to damage the Moneyball’s shields.
Fixed visual effects staying on the player after the effect has worn off.
Reduced the amount of increased damage the Moneyball takes in Overtime, thus reducing the effectiveness of “Juice rushing”.
Fixed Ringouts, Headshots and Grapple Kills not giving the proper amount of money. Balanced Ringout money to reflect the change. Message now displays correct total amount of money earned.
New “You Win!”/”You Lose!” UI for the end of a match.
Fixed juice benefits ending early if the player grapples during juice.
Fixed juice bar getting stuck full.
Fixed deploying on or near active jump pads.
Fixed controller sensitivity of 10 not saving.
Fixed messaging for kill streaks. Ultra and Uber streaks will now be named properly when popping up above your reticle.
Fixed an instance of the player’s skill pick UI going away unexpectedly.
Fixed an issue with bots walking by enemy turrets and bots without engaging them.
Fixed upgrading a turret that has been hacked to the opposing team.
Fixed turret collision not going away after being destroyed.
Normalized time between a grapple miss and the ability to grapple again for all grapples. The biggest change is the Assassin not having as big of a penalty for a missed grapple.
Fixed the "Team Leader" and "Team Player" highlights from being reversed.
Fixed players being able to mute themselves.
Fixed idle kicking when standing still but still looking around and/or shooting.
Fixed players who cheat and hack their profiles from being able to apply multiple gold endorsements.
Optimized main menu ticker for players with large friends lists.
Fixed HUD showing Moneyball shields as up during over time even though they are down.
Reduced announcer talking for kill streaks to help reduce the repetition of announcements.
Various performance optimizations.
Fixed players being able to switch weapons while in a grapple.

Support:
Reworked Support’s bot aura so that it doesn’t make the Jackbot appear overhealed.
Fixed Support’s Firebase skill from recharging while the Support is dead but the Firebase skill exists.
Fixed being able to use the Heal/Hurt gun while taunting.
Fixed some instances of the Support’s Firebase not appearing when thrown.
Fixed Heal/Hurt gun not being affected by rate of fire endorsements and reduced it’s overall healing/hurting ability to compensate for the change.
Fixed Supports being able to use their Hack skill through walls.
Fixed Supports being able to throw their Firebases through the wall.
Fixed Air Strikes sometimes damaging enemies under cover.
Supports can now only Hack enemy turrets at Hack level 3.
Increased the time to Hack enemy turrets.
Decreased duration of Hack on a turret for levels 1 and 2.

Assassin:
Fixed Assassins from being able to get permanent sprint and super speed.
Fixed Assassins getting a double smoke bomb allowing them to jump higher than intended.
Fixed Assassins being able to cloak during a grapple.
Fixed Assassins from being able to use her smoke bomb during a lunge.
Retuned damage done by dagger after a lunge.
Fixed Scramblers and Traps from draining the Sword and Shruiken Launcher alternate fire grapple.

Tank:
Tank’s Jet Gun alternate fire damage is now reduced depending on the percentage of ammo left in the clip. Increased the full clip damage to compensate.

Assault:
Fixed an exploit involving the Assault’s Fly.
Fixed Assault’s bomb audio lingering after bomb is gone.

Monday Night Combat Live Update System:
Pregame Lobby is now 45 seconds.
Min Number of Players to start Crossfire is now 6.
Increased player bot spawning from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.

globalBanner.jpg

Uber are pulling out all the stops and then some with the upcoming free DLC and update, so they are showing new content, wallpapers and update information every day over halloween.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

All looking rather sweet so far, huge list of changes and balances already, more then the first hotfix title update!

All-star allows you to "pristeige" more or less, reset your online rank but gain an emblem.

"Added many new Mickey Cantor announcements." :D woo

Top Bottom