• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

Posting this on a new page to create awareness.

Do not jump straight to online!
I assume that almost everyone is new right now. Remember to add your Hunter ID in the online thread, but as sprsk is suggesting, it's better to learn the game before hopping online and ruining quests for everyone with 0 experience. People will lose money if quests fail. Play some single player first so you at least know the controls, the types of objectives, item usages etc. etc. etc.

Plus this is the only way to unlock some of the very important things in the game (including Long Sword and Switch Axe, which aren't unlocked from the beginning).

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

Share your Hunter ID with fellow GAF members.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Online is so much fun!!!

Big question though and I am going to be VERY disappointed if my assumption is correct.

I have a Wii Speak and when I connect online it turns on fine, I can go into my Online settings and I see it is picking up my voice fine, yet my friend can't hear me. My friend does not have a Wii speak but is using keyboard instead. He says that I have an orange Megaphone next to my name.

Trying to figure out what the issue is I popped open the instruction manual. In the manual it states "You and your friends will each need a Wii Speak accessory (sold separately) to use Mic Chat. Make sure you have one, or else you and your friends won't be able to talk." What the heck??? So if I understand this right because my friend didn't want to pay for a Wii Speak I can't use mine to talk to him? It didn't work like that in Animal Crossing, my friends were able to hear me fine.

This can't be the way it really works can it? Even if my friends can't hear me they could at least type back or even just coordinate with what I'm saying.
Can anyone confirm this? Shocking if true!

Bison11 said:
Also, is there any sort of game like this that I may have played so that I can get a better idea of what it is all about?
Think of Shadow of the Colossus + Phantasy Star Online.

gotee12

I'm three hours in and it's everything I was expecting (and then some!). See you guys online (after about 15 hours of solo)...

Alex

The tutorial is crazy good compared to the ocean of confusion they threw you into in prior titles. I played a ton of MH1 back in the day and getting back in for MHFU was the most confusing shit ever.

Bison11

Damnit.....I am most likely going to dive in tomorrow. I have a bunch of old stuff to trade in that will add up to fat cash.

Ridley327

It's funny; the last time I played Monster Hunter seriously was back when the PS2 game was out and I played it a fair bit into 2006. It's been practically 4 years since then and I had no issues whatsoever getting back into this one. I guess I played a lot more MH1 than I remember. :lol

Teknoman

rusashi said:
should I bother getting this if I can't really play online? Wifi doesn't work in my dorm so no wii online for me

Grab an ethernet adapter.

EDIT: I really hope that its just the other person has his microphone volume low in options (if there is an option). If not, that needs to be patched quick. Someone check/post a picture of the options menu.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, it kind of is. It's distracting to me.

Picture Settings -> Overscan: *YES*.

People still don't know it's an overscan related "problem"?
You aren't going to get bars/borders whn playing on 16:9 CRT TVs.
Which is what the Wii was built for, we've known for a long time now that the Wii situation is not ideal on LCD/Plasma HDTVs, seriously you can't still bitch about that after 3 years since it's not going to change.
Some games will have none, some will have a bit, some a bit more... on your tv.
How big they are changes from tv to tv, since it's tied to the tv's overscanning.

rusashi said:
should I bother getting this if I can't really play online? Wifi doesn't work in my dorm so no wii online for me

I have a not-really-reliable WiFi connection, thus I've bought the LAN Adapter (20Euros for the official one, but I know there are cheaper models from 3d parties like Datel) and it works like a charm.

I put like like almost 2000 hours into the original. I couldn't get into the Psp versions though. Did they put all the monsters in it? Should I try it...?

Game2Death said:
I put like like almost 2000 hours into the original. I couldn't get into the Psp versions though. Did they put all the monsters in it? Should I try it...?

I'm jumping in based on the fact that I only played the original and I'm really enjoying it so far.

VAIL

Loving it, got to rank 3 online.

Killed the Big Jaggi with 2 others, quite intense....can only get more insane from here.

Darn super saver shipping, and it's being shipped from NV for some reason. Oh well, I have German homework to do before the weekend anyways. Can't wait for the weekend.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just got done with the first couple of quests, so good... Also I can fully appreciate the new stuff after putting in a few hundred hours in MHF2 :lol Much better gameflow, gorgeous stuff.

jrricky

Banned
Gonna fire up this bad boy in a few minutes. I played for 6 hours straight last night; I went to bed at 5 this morning...its so freakin addicting. :O

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shipped! Then my order went from Virginia... to Maryland?

*scratches head, checks map*

Whatever. Should get here tomorrow!

Man. I really want to get my own Wii working properly again. :( Disc can't eject. I can play Rock Band forever, though.

fernoca

Wow..
Guess I'll stay in Single Player some more.. :lol

Did 2 online quests, completely lost "because of the lack of map", hungry and dying...

Ignoring that there was a chest at the beginning with a map and supplies (like food and herbs) for the mission.. :lol :lol (thought that since my name was red, the red chest was mine and the other player was blue, so the blue chest was his... :lol )

Oh well.. :lol

Amneisac

So, what's the deal with weapons? Like.. I have two swords here:

Bone Kris: attack 112
Hunter's Knife (starting weapon): attack 84

But the Hunter's Knife is more expensive. Are there stats I'm not seeing? Like speed or something that affect the cost?

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Game is sharper in the English ver due to the black border but it's an eye sore for me:/
Wait, you actually imported the US version? Why Ten why?
You should have gone PAL :p.

Amneisac said:

But the Hunter's Knife is more expensive. Are there stats I'm not seeing? Like speed or something that affect the cost?
Your overlooking sharpness I presume. Just remember it effects attack power and cutting ability.

red = 50% (damage)
orange = 75%
yellow = 100%
green = 112.5%
blue = 125%
white = 130%
purple = 150%

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Amneisac said:

That's what i thought when i look at the 2 big 2 hand swords. The one more powerful is less expensive... BUT it loses durability much faster. That must be the same thing with the one hand swords.

Question : What's the point of the books of combos? I wasted 1000z on one, and its standing there in my bags and i dont know what to do with it! Can't even select the item with the L button.

I wish the bag was bigger. :( It gets full in a matter of minutes with all the crap i gather, and i have no idea if i should keep them or not, so they end up in my item box.

botticus

I'm starting to appreciate GameStop.com much more lately. Free shipping and the game will be delivered the day after release. Might even be able to get my friend's copy shipped to him by the weekend now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Amneisac said:

Usually, buying "premade" equipment is more expensive than making it trough crafting, so maybe thats why.

For the most part, its all about the balance of damage/sharpness and elemental damage. All weapons of the same type have the same speed, so dont worry about that (gauging different weapon types in relation to speed and damage is important though, a hammer that does 1000 damage is not as good as a long sword that does 900, since its easier to get hits in with the long sword, itll add up quicker)

gwiz210 said:
How much does online cost?

Its free (unless youre in Japan)

GAH. I feel stupid. I thought after you got to a 4 player city anyone could talk to each other but you need to friend request them which sucks.

I NEED FRIENDS DAMMIT.

Also, my attempts to send messages to the two peoples who's ID's i have dont go through. I must be doing something stupid. Can someone walk me through the process?

Shiv47

After sinking 200 hours or whatever into MHFU, it's completely weird having to start from scratch in Tri. I like what I see so far though. The kill reporting and resource allocation mechanic is an interesting change.

gwiz210

Raging Spaniard said:
Its free (unless youre in Japan)
YEEEEAAAAAAHHHH
THANK YOU

This is good, cause for whatever reason I can't access the wii shop channel, so in return I can't buy points.

Luigiv

Bisnic said:
Question : What's the point of the books of combos? I wasted 1000z on one, and its standing there in my bags and i dont know what to do with it! Can't even select the item with the L button.
Book of Combos is a passive item. It increases the chances of a successful combination by 5%.

d0c_zaius

Gamer @ Heart said:
GAH. I feel stupid. I thought after you got to a 4 player city anyone could talk to each other but you need to friend request them which sucks.

I NEED FRIENDS DAMMIT.

Also, my attempts to send messages to the two peoples who's ID's i have dont go through. I must be doing something stupid. Can someone walk me through the process?

I had the same issue.

I always hang out in widsom 1 in recruiting if you need help

Teknoman

Gamer @ Heart said:

I NEED FRIENDS DAMMIT.

Can you still talk to them inside an actual game?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm lucky enough to have a close group of friends to play with, and we're all pretty much Monster Hunter noobs (aside from some casual play of it back when the original came out). :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Luigiv said:
Book of Combos is a passive item. It increases the chances of a successful combination by 5%.

So i have to keep them in my bag all the time? I already have enough problems with it being full all the time. =/

Raging Spaniard

Bisnic said:
So i have to keep them in my bag all the time? I already have enough problems with it being full all the time. =/

Keep it in your box at home, and just combine all the items you need when youre back in the village :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't suppose there's any way to make an ISO of my disc, run it from a hard drive, and play online, legally? :-[

Teknoman said:
Can you still talk to them inside an actual game?

No. To hear you, they have to be friend requested and accepted. Granted, it only takes 3 clicks to do it and accept one, but i didnt want to have to fill up my friend list with mostly strangers.

tenchir

Going to start the game offline for a couple of days to build up my gears and items before going online. You just make more progress that way.

Luigiv said:

Your overlooking sharpness I presume. Just remember it effects attack power and cutting ability.

red = 50% (damage)
orange = 75%
yellow = 100%
green = 112.5%
blue = 125%
white = 130%
purple = 150%

Those are outdated sharpness multipliers. The attack multipliers from sharpness has been significantly nerfed in Tri. IIRC purple only gives 1.3x now.

Teknoman

Gamer @ Heart said:
No. To hear you, they have to be friend requested and accepted. Granted, it only takes 3 clicks to do it and accept one, but i didnt want to have to fill up my friend list with mostly strangers.

Hmm...guess they had to play by Nintendo's rules on that one. Well I guess it'll be back to voice chat with GAF/randoms that seem really cool, and text keyboard with everyone else.

Glad that logitech wii wireless keyboard was on sale. USB keyboards for cheap shouldnt be that hard to find these days, wireless or not.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:

red = 50% (damage)
orange = 75%
yellow = 100%
green = 112.5%
blue = 125%
white = 130%
purple = 150%
I am weak, I just cannot resist the temptation:(
Plus all of my hunting buddies bought the moment they heard that you can go online on a Japanese Wii thru homebrew channel.

fernoca

Something weird happened..when i was playing..
Some user joined the lobby.then left...
Then there was a message on the chat saying that Capcom doesn't allow modified content or consoles in the game and is banning anyone that does....

Unless that message appears in the chat every time you connect...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tenbatsu said:
I am weak, I just cannot resist the temptation:(
Plus all of my hunting buddies bought the moment they heard that you can go online on a Japanese Wii thru homebrew channel.

Wait, so you could go online through launching from a hard drive then?

jrricky

Banned
Man, the bag gets full really quick...could the bag be expanded later on in the game? I hate trying to substitute one item for another...

fernoca said:
Then there was a message on the chat saying that Capcom doesn't allow modified content or consoles in the game and is banning anyone that does....

What have you done? D:

Docpan

Do I need to do some stupid port forwarding shit, or is this game server-based (as opposed to XBL and PSN p2p-based) so I don't have to fucking bother?

Tenbatsu

fernoca said:

It will appear once in a while together with that long hours play warning.

Top Bottom