• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

Posting this on a new page to create awareness.

Do not jump straight to online!
Add your Hunter ID or remember to add it later in the online thread, but as sprsk is suggesting, it's better to learn the game before hopping online and ruining quests with 0 experience. People will lose money if quests fail. Play some single player first so you at least know the controls, the types of objectives, item usages etc. etc. etc.

Plus this is the only way to unlock some of the very important things in the game (including Long Sword and Switch Axe, which aren't unlocked from the beginning).

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

Share your Hunter ID with fellow GAF members.

Tiktaalik

Some folks at the office got this at lunch which makes me much, much more inclined to pick it up. Before I was going to sleep on the title.

The idea of using Skype conference chat as a chat tool has been floated as none of us have Wii Speak and its pretty unlikely that we'll get it just for this game.

Kinda surprising that this game comes out today but a few major sites still don't have their reviews up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I accidentally had my copy from Amazon shipped same day delivery to my parents house halfway across the country. :lol I'll see you guys this weekend I guess...

ShinNL

Tiktaalik said:
Some folks at the office got this at lunch which makes me much, much more inclined to pick it up. Before I was going to sleep on the title.

The idea of using Skype conference chat as a chat tool has been floated as none of us have Wii Speak and its pretty unlikely that we'll get it just for this game.

Kinda surprising that this game comes out today but a few major sites still don't have their reviews up.
If it's easier for you guys, then that's okay. But it should be an etiquette to not use that setup when playing with strangers, because then normal people will end up playing with silent people even if they did get Wii Speak so you can hear them, but not the other way around since you decided to use something else. Support the good cause. A good game got Wii Speak support, so use it instead of making it worse for the community by purposely avoiding it.

Tiktaalik

Soneet said:
If it's easier for you guys, then that's okay. But it should be an etiquette to not use that setup when playing with strangers, because then normal people will end up playing with silent people even if they did get Wii Speak so you can hear them, but not the other way around since you decided to use something else. Support the good cause. A good game for Wii Speak support, so use it instead of making it worse for the community.

Oh yeah sure that makes sense. I was only thinking about playing with the four of us. If I find myself getting really into the game enough that I'd be playing online with strangers then I'd probably get a Wii Speak.

I'm actually pretty interested to see how well the game handles old fashioned no VOIP chat. I recall playing through a chapter of RE5 with that games' ultra limited in game communication system when my bluetooth headset ran out of batteries and it was pretty funny. Pretty fun though at the same time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, how do you cook in this game? My hunter is already starving, his stamina bar is really small and i've barely done anything, and i've just wasted a raw meat by putting it on the ground when i wanted to eat it. :mad:

Teknoman

Just a reminder, if anyone in the Steam group wants to be an officer (read: mod) just send a PM or message and i'll get that set up. Dont want to have too many, but enough to keep things running smooth.

JRPereira

Bisnic said:
So, how do you cook in this game? My hunter is already starving, his stamina bar is really small and i've barely done anything, and i've just wasted a raw meat by putting it on the ground when i wanted to eat it. :mad:

Back when I first played MH on the PSP, I ended up doing that. Was pissed that I couldn't pick it up (5-second rule! cmon guys!)

oracrest

Bisnic said:

you need a BBQ spit to cook the meat on. otherwise, it's just raw bait for dragons.

fernoca

Got the game..got the 500 points (+300 I already had, got Kirby's Dreamland 3)..already had a Classic, might pick a Pro down the road...

So far, really like it..even more than the demo.

But cant' get online, every time I get online and watch the movie..when it ends it says the connection is not stable..and quits..

Oh well, migth try later..checking the router just in case I have a leech in my connection.. :lol

Mr_Guillotine said:
Alright guys I found an old wireless keyboard to use for now, I still can't find my ID where do I go for this information?
Right were you choose which character to use online..it says the name of your character, the the ID is below the name.

Mr_Guillotine said:
Alright guys I found an old wireless keyboard to use for now, I still can't find my ID where do I go for this information?
005.jpg

I think its the stuff in the top right corner. Sorry for blurriness.

Insaniac

Just got it, and i have a question, how come when i attack (using the starter weapon) i keep diong this jump attack? its really hard to hit smaller monsters and I want to do the quick combo instead (using wiimote/chuck)

ShinNL

Insaniac said:
Just got it, and i have a question, how come when i attack (using the starter weapon) i keep diong this jump attack? its really hard to hit smaller monsters and I want to do the quick combo instead (using wiimote/chuck)
[While sheathed]
Shake or walk+[+]: Unsheath attack.

[While unsheathed]
Shake or [A]+Tilt remote up: Jump slash
[A]: Slash combo 1
[A]+Tilt remote left: Slash combo 2
[A]+Tilt remote right: Shield combo
[-]: Revolving slice

I think it was something like this but correct me if I'm wrong. You can also attack while guarding in different ways I believe.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lyphen said:
So, I just picked up my preorder here in Ottawa. Didn't get my 5$ off or a 500 point Wii card.

SO my question is, was this promo available in-stores in Canada, and how can I prove it to the EBGames employees?
:(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soneet said:
[While sheathed]

[While unsheathed]

I think it was something like this but correct me if I'm wrong. You can also attack while guarding in different ways I believe.

Those are some of the craziest controls I've ever seen. On the CC Pro I can just, you know, press buttons, right?

Soneet said:
[While sheathed]

[While unsheathed]

wtf.

This makes me reconsider the idea of getting a keyboard before I get myself a CCPro.

Van Owen

Banned
Do you start of SP with sword and shield? I think I started with a greatsword but can't equip it?

I'm a total noob. :lol

fernoca

Lyphen said:
:/... Sorry but...
Monster Hunter Tri
- Pre-Order Now
Place a deposit to pre-order* your copy of Monster Hunter Tri from GameStop today to get $5 off your purchase, and an exclusive Monster Hunter Tri-themed Nintendo Points Card™ worth 500 points. * US customers only. Pre-order offer not available in Canada.
Though Gamestop.ca does shows the game $5 less, maybe it was an online deal.

Found my code and posted in the online thread, so do I just input someone's code somewhere to locate that person?

BTW, I was told why Canadians never got that demo:

Because of the French law, they couldn't put French or anything in the demo or whatever, so the demo was cockblocked from Canada. :'(

Mafro

Tiktaalik said:
A lot of sites put their reviews up a few days ago e.g. Gametrailers, Eurogamer, IGN US & UK and Gamesradar

WTF @ those Wiimote & nunchuk controls, an attack is mapped to the - button? :lol

bounchfx

yeah I can't do this. I don't have the time. Just opened it, decided I shouldn't own this game, so i'm

SELLING Monster Hunter Tri. looking to get 50+shipping (whatever it'd be after tax for you guys, but a little cheaper). send me a pm if you're interested. it's perfect condition, only played for like 20 minutes.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
fernoca said:
:/... Sorry but...

Though Gamestop.ca does shows the game $5 less, maybe it was an online deal.
Thats a shame. I do hope the 5$ still applies in-store, because they're selling the game is 5$ more expensive than everywhere else. :lol

Teknoman

You guys could also say to meet up in a certain room/lobby, or designate a lobby where everyone should always go to start up games.

Dreavus

Soneet said:
[While sheathed]

[While unsheathed]

That control scheme seems downright arcane. It would definitely take some getting used to.

Teknoman said:
You guys could also say to meet up in a certain room/lobby, or designate a lobby where everyone should always go to start up games.

That'd be helpful.

For now, do two or more people just meet up in a certain room?

Like I just go to the Recruitment area and meet you guys there?

nyong

Banned
Broke out the ol' credit card for this one: $59.99 for the controller bundle at Best Buy. This is my first Wii purchase since.......Mario Kart? I still don't have Motion +, I'll put it that way.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd just like to post this here too.

Don't just jump into online. Play single player a bit first, especially if this your first MH. You'll just end up dying a lot and making people lose money.

Vizion28

Banned
I noticed on Metacritic most of the Monster Hunter games have mediocre to bad scores yet the series gets so much hype? What's the deal?

At least Monster Hunter Tri, at this time, is in the upper 80s. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Might sound dumb but, im at the beginning of the game, went to the village shop, where's long swords? Or switch axe.. ? Have to get them later?

Poyunch

Just picked it up. I'm going to play some single player for a while to get used to everything. I also used the 500 point card for Dark Void Zero. :lol

Brannon

Buggy Loop said:
Might sound dumb but, im at the beginning of the game, went to the village shop, where's long swords? Or switch axe.. ? Have to get them later?

You don't get them yet. Which sucked because I really wanted a Long Sword to play with, but there you go.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Brannon said:
You don't get them yet. Which sucked because I really wanted a Long Sword to play with, but there you go.

They get unlocked after you get to a certain point in the single player.

Bison11

Man, I am really interested in this game but I have never played one before so I dont know if I would like it. I wish I would have gotten that demo disc.

Also do you have to pay to play online? I remember reading a long time ago that you did, not sure if it is that way now.

Khezu

I'm conflicted with the controls, I like CC style 2 for combat because I am so used to the PS2 game, however, so far, its a lot easier to swim with CC style 1 because I can control the camera with the right stick.

Also is there a way to change the controls inside the game? The only place I have seen to do it, is during the character selection page.

ShinNL

Bison11 said:
Man, I am really interested in this game but I have never played one before so I dont know if I would like it. I wish I would have gotten that demo disc.

Also do you have to pay to play online? I remember reading a long time ago that you did, not sure if it is that way now.
Hmmm, it's surprisingly not written clearly in the OP. Online is free.

rusashi

Neo Member
should I bother getting this if I can't really play online? Wifi doesn't work in my dorm so no wii online for me

Online is so much fun!!!

Big question though and I am going to be VERY disappointed if my assumption is correct.

I have a Wii Speak and when I connect online it turns on fine, I can go into my Online settings and I see it is picking up my voice fine, yet my friend can't hear me. My friend does not have a Wii speak but is using keyboard instead. He says that I have an orange Megaphone next to my name.

Trying to figure out what the issue is I popped open the instruction manual. In the manual it states "You and your friends will each need a Wii Speak accessory (sold separately) to use Mic Chat. Make sure you have one, or else you and your friends won't be able to talk." What the heck??? So if I understand this right because my friend didn't want to pay for a Wii Speak I can't use mine to talk to him? It didn't work like that in Animal Crossing, my friends were able to hear me fine.

This can't be the way it really works can it? Even if my friends can't hear me they could at least type back or even just coordinate with what I'm saying.

Bison11

Soneet said:
Hmmm, it's surprisingly not written clearly in the OP. Online is free.

Nice, thank you. I am going to have to watch a bunch of videos.

Also, is there any sort of game like this that I may have played so that I can get a better idea of what it is all about?

Hiltz

Sunk in a bit more time with the game. Upgraded my weapons and bought some new armor. Currently working on the first guild quest for mushroom collecting.

It's going to take a while to get used to the underwater controls (using CC PRo 1) but that's not to say that its bad or anything. It's just part of the learning curve. Killed my first sea monster and went fishing with a harpoon against what looked like a giant version of a sun fish.

Anyone else like the look of the night time sky ? I thought it was quite beautiful.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Vizion28 said:
I noticed on Metacritic most of the Monster Hunter games have mediocre to bad scores yet the series gets so much hype? What's the deal?

At least Monster Hunter Tri, at this time, is in the upper 80s. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

MH games are unfriendly towards the typical video game critic. They have "bad" controls, and clunky conventions because almost all the effort in development - prior to Tri at least - went into the meat and potatoes of the core gameplay and the vast game world. And they're not games you can play for 5 hours, and write up a thumbsuck review that pretends you played the game for a week and "beat it". To the average game reviewer, they likely look quite boring and outdated.

The series gets so much hype because the core game underneath the dated conventions is impossibly addictive and the sort of thing people play for years. Tri is definitely better scores because its offline, single player aspect is more like a conventional RPG in presentation and easing the player into the game system. The Eurogamer review of it pretty much sums it up - MH has always been awesome but Tri is the first game in the series that invites newcomers with open arms.

Top Bottom