• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

epmode

fernoca said:
Then there was a message on the chat saying that Capcom doesn't allow modified content or consoles in the game and is banning anyone that does....
I don't like the sound of that. I only modded the system for a USB loader and SCUMMVM. Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass here..

People have been asking what this game plays like and the only game I can directly compare it (the single player) to is Rune Factory Frontier. Seriously, it's not even a stretch. Monster Hunter Tri is Rune Factory with a heavier lean towards monsters and a lighter lean towards farming (and no dating of course). But the questing..the gathering, the fishing, the general way you fight monsters, even the crafting to an extent is totally reminiscent of Rune Factory.

Anyone else here played the overlooked brilliance of Rune Factory Frontier?

VegaShinra

DragonGirl said:
People have been asking what this game plays like and the only game I can directly compare it (the single player) to is Rune Factory Frontier. Seriously, it's not even a stretch. Monster Hunter Tri is Rune Factory with a heavier lean towards monsters and a lighter lean towards farming (and no dating of course). But the questing..the gathering, the fishing, the general way you fight monsters, even the crafting to an extent is totally reminiscent of Rune Factory.

Anyone else here played the overlooked brilliance of Rune Factory Frontier?
Some people I know are comparing it to WKC.

Tenbatsu

I got an S rank with a friend in arena mode online yesterday. 2mins 50s fighting the bird. We are both using wiimote n nunchuk. Who says the control scheme is bad? :D

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Tenbatsu said:
I got an S rank with a friend in arena mode online yesterday. 2mins 50s fighting the bird. We are both using wiimote n nunchuk. Who says the control scheme is bad? :D

After using the claw on the psp, the wiimote was a great change of pace. I am interested in how the cc pro works. Can you control the camera with the right analog stick?

Just got done playing for a few hours with my friends. HOLY CRAPOLY THIS GAME IS AMAZING. We had so much fun and so many laughs that I would say the games purchase is already justified based off tonight alone.

Classic Controller Pro is also MUCH better than the standard CC. It feels comfortable, is better spaced out, has usable Z buttons, and does away with those lame analog R triggers. Anyone on the fence about it, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $10.
Soneet said:
Can anyone confirm this? Shocking if true!
Finally connected with another friend who has Wii Speak, we could hear each other. Yet my 3rd friend without Wii Speak couldn't hear either of us. :/ Sorry but that is just stupid and borderline useless to me.

To top it off Wii Speak sucks more than it did in animal crossing. I am not joking, only about 1/3rd of what my friend was trying to tell us was audible. The rest was broken up and muffled horribly. I don't think I've ever said "Sorry, can you repeat that?" so many times in just a few hours.

Between the incompatibility with anyone who didn't shell out $20 for Wii Speak, and the abysmal quality of it with those who did, I'm very much considering some sort of Skype alternative setup at this point. I'm ready to sell my Wii Speak.

DragonGirl said:
People have been asking what this game plays like and the only game I can directly compare it (the single player) to is Rune Factory Frontier
Dude, I love both Rune Factory Frontier and Monster Hunter, but they couldn't be more different

Tenbatsu

Parallax said:
After using the claw on the psp, the wiimote was a great change of pace. I am interested in how the cc pro works. Can you control the camera with the right analog stick?
Yap you are able.

KingHenrik30 said:
is it possible that the bundles are still available or did i miss out on them?
It's possible, you really just have to look around. They had some at the gamestop and bestbuy by me although limited supply. You can buy them separately though if you're really stuck but you don't save the $10. Amazon still has the $10 future credit if you buy it from them so it comes to $57 technically since you pay $67 but get $10 on future video game purchase plus no tax for most places.

Teknoman

How close was he to the mic? I really didn't have much of a problem in Animal Crossing...

That does suck about people not being able to hear you unless they have Wii speak as well.

Anymore Wiispeak MH3 impressions? :lol this thing has been sitting on my sensor bar forever, and I was looking forward to getting some extensive use out of it.

Teknoman said:
How close was he to the mic? I really didn't have much of a problem in Animal Crossing...

That does suck about people not being able to hear you unless they have Wii speak as well.
I had a lot less trouble in AC as well. People could understand me in that game and I could understand others.

It was bad on both ends. I eventually took my Wii Speak off the TV and set it on the coffee table right in front of me (3 feet away) and it didn't help. He still couldn't understand me and I couldn't him.

I'm open to the possibility we just had a bad night/connection but Wii Speak chat in MH3 isn't looking very hot right now.

Luigiv

Wolf Akela said:
Those are outdated sharpness multipliers. The attack multipliers from sharpness has been significantly nerfed in Tri. IIRC purple only gives 1.3x now.
Fair enough. Haven't actually looked at the Tri damage formulas yet.

Where do you get the iron ore early on in the game? I've looked all over that cave but I can't find anything that lets me mine it...

Luigiv

bigdaddygamebot said:
Grrrr...how do you just group up and kill shit? I'm in the city...I'm completely baffled.
Someone selects a quest, then the others need to go to the bulletin board and choose to join it.

Obtuse, I know. The system was designed for 8 player cities of the original MH yet for some reason they still leave it in for the 4 player gathering halls/cities of the PSP versions/western Tri.

d0c_zaius said:
which lobby are you in? ill come help you through the ropes

I think I made some progress but I'm still HR 1 and all the quests available are pants. :D

I'm going to grind, get to HR2 and then I will DEFINITELY hit you up. I also need to get my hands on a Wii Speak...or possibly get people to use ventrilo?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, what is everyone's ideal controller config? I have the new classic controller, and I've been playing with Classic 2. Is this the one you're supposed to use with the new controller? Swimming is a bitch because I have to take my finger off the move stick and use the dpad to orient myself. Other than that, it seems ok I guess...

Poyunch

Is everyone already going online? I still want to grind 'till I can get my Switch Axe but I don't want to miss out on all the online fun. :(

Tenbatsu

PounchEnvy said:
Is everyone already going online? I still want to grind 'till I can get my Switch Axe but I don't want to miss out on all the online fun. :(
Switch axe is available online from the start.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Played online for a little bit. Quested with some people who had Wii Speak. Worked pretty well for me.. at leasy I heard them perfectly. Any Wii speakers up for some quests right now so we can test this thing out?

Skiesofwonder said:
Played online for a little bit. Quested with some people who had Wii Speak. Worked pretty well for me.. at leasy I heard them perfectly. Any Wii speakers up for some quests right now so we can test this thing out?

If you are still on in 45 minutes, lets meet up using this thread. I really want to test my wii speak out.

I wanna give this a go, but the investment is a killer. Gotta buy the game, then a classic controller since there's no GC controller support (WTF?), and Wii Speak to get some decent party play going.

Luigiv

riceandbeans said:
I wanna give this a go, but the investment is a killer. Gotta buy the game, then a classic controller since there's no GC controller support (WTF?), and Wii Speak to get some decent party play going.
GCN controller doesn't have enough buttons.

MightyKAC

Anyone know how the servers work?

If I'm in Japan and I'm playing an American copy of the game which server will they put me in?

Kevtones

Oh fuck. Totally addicted and I've played 3 hours.

My girlfriend watched about an hour and played for an hour herself... She's also addicted.

Hiltz

Spent some time online and experience was lag free. Although, I only spotted less than a handful of other players. Been having some trouble figuring out how to get Wii Speak to work in-game while playing online.

Did one quest (collect kelbi horns) with some guy either named Alabaster or Alaster. Couldn't figure out how to get my Wii Speak to work properly while in-game. Will post Hunter ID tomorrow.

Got my ass handed to me when a Great Jaggi suddenly appeared. Bit I did kill some of those medium-sized ones.

Killed a couple of sharks while wandering under water.

I'm a little over 5 hours in but have only completed one lousy level 1 quest.

Hiltz said:
Spent some time online and experience was lag free. Did one quest (collect kelbi horns) with some guy either named Alabaster or Alaster. Couldn't figure out how to get my Wii Speak to work properly while in-game. Will post Hunter ID tomorrow.

Got my ass handed to me when a Great Jaggi suddenly appeared. Bit I did kill some of those medium-sized ones.

Killed a couple of sharks while wandering under water.

I'm a little over 5 hours in but have only completed one lousy level 1 quest.

Dont start online. Play the singleplayer so you learn all the ropes.

Hiltz

Gamer @ Heart said:
Dont start online. Play the singleplayer so you learn all the ropes.

I'll definitely be going straight back to the single player tomorrow. Already spent about 3 hours in so far. I was afraid that the Monster Hunter experience would prove to be overwhelmingly complex at first ,but it's been surprisingly easy getting used to how things work. :D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamer @ Heart said:
If you are still on in 45 minutes, lets meet up using this thread. I really want to test my wii speak out.

I'll be on.

My info is:
Name: Skyefinn
ID: JK1GQB

Give me a heads up when you get on. I think you can message me through the server by typing my name in... not sure though.

Just spent a lot of time offline and looking to maybe play a bit online, I got to certain quest that made me run into a certain dragon and I nearly shit my pants when it ran at me.:lol

So far I really like this game. Done 3 one star quests so far. I like how it eases you in on the single player. Helps me out a lot since I was worried that I wouldn't get the game and be thrown in fighting some huge monster.

Hiltz

Insaniac said:
so how exactly does this online work? do i just seelct a quest and people can follow me?

I've only done one online quest with a stranger but the process is simple. You can go up to the NPC Guild guy and select a quest to begin on your own. Alternatively, once you start a quest, anyone else can walk up to a bulletin board and choose to join a party with you for that same quest. However, other players are free to start the same or different quests on their own as well as form a different party if they choose to.Also, the player who originally started a quest can limit the amount of potential players in their party (1-4).

You can be out in the field during the quest and then other people who signed up can join you outside in the field to help complete the quest. You can also wait for other potential party members while inside the online hub world. Although, it appears that you are free to roam around on your own or simply follow your party members.

I am also on the U.S. server.

john tv

MightyKAC said:
Anyone know how the servers work?

If I'm in Japan and I'm playing an American copy of the game which server will they put me in?
You'll be on the US servers. I'm in the same boat.

After putting little over an hour into Tri I can safely say that I am oh-so-happy that I no longer have to manipulate the camera with The Claw.

Hiltz

Anyone else notice that if you come to an edge of a cliff in certain parts of the environments, you can jump off and end up in another area under water?

Kevtones

Mr_Guillotine said:
Same here, wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. I've spent a good deal of it offline and I think I might head online for some good times soon.

Ditto. I want to get to the 10-15 hour mark for the sake of others... :lol

Hiltz said:
Anyone else notice that if you come to an edge of a cliff in certain parts of the environments, you can jump off and end up in another area under water?

Yeah. There are shortcuts like that all over the place. Those are labeled on the map through.

There are unmarked ones like the underwater passage in the island base that leads to the area right before the coast.

Top Bottom