• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Uh so Gamestop charged the amount of the pre-order on my account on Sunday. Today, I looked at my balance and the charge wasn't there, but the game already shipped yesterday. Is the charge gonna come back on my statement or is this money mine now due to some glitch?! :lol

Got my copy and the controller separately. Apparently, EBGames told me that the bundle is a limited (as in, the 1st one) print only. o_O

I hope that doesn't end up being the case. :(

I want to get the bundle as a collector's item, already did that with Trilogy.

As I expected, the game came in that horrid shrinkwrap, hope the bundle's copy doesn't. Any Canadians get the bundle to clarify?

spangler

Picked up a non-preordered bundle at Gamestop this morning. They also had loose controllers if that strikes your fancy.

traveler said:
My shipment has the exact same current location and destination. :lol
Same current location as me too. Must've been from the same warehouse then. I live in the midwest so hopefully it doesn't really take 5-10 days to come. When my Newegg games' last location is KY, that means that they're a day or so away!

slaughterking said:
Hu? What can be so horrible about a shrinkwrap?

If you don't understand, I mean that wrapping that games have when they have a French manual on the back, or what stores like EB/GameStop use to reseal games.

It's horrible because it's much harder to open, but most of all because it causes the case to "morph", like the clear part of the case gets wrinkled.

McKeeverFever said:
Hey does anyone know if the EU and USA servers are intergrated, also what server would I be on if not I live In Ireland but have a USA Wii, would I be on the European server or USA server.
They are separate as far as I know which is abit rubbish as I used ot play with alot of US folk on the PSP.

Hero of Legend said:
If you don't understand, I mean that wrapping that games have when they have a French manual on the back, or what stores like EB/GameStop use to reseal games.

It's horrible because it's much harder to open, but most of all because it causes the case to "morph", like the clear part of the case gets wrinkled.
Oh yeah, I remember having one of those before. I didn't think much about it, though.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This will be my first foray into the MH universe (that isn't a demo). I'm picking up the bundle this afternoon.

Just ordered mine with white cc pro and wii speak from amazon. Hopefully it comes quickly! :D

sonicspear64 said:
Uh so Gamestop charged the amount of the pre-order on my account on Sunday. Today, I looked at my balance and the charge wasn't there, but the game already shipped yesterday. Is the charge gonna come back on my statement or is this money mine now due to some glitch?! :lol

It was probably just a hold which cleared and will charge you soon.

Haunted

manofmandango said:
DSC_0015.jpg
Sweet boxart, even with the stickers bullshit.

Another noob question: Now that I've learned that one is not restricted to one class, is it possible to switch weapons while out in the field?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm just wondering how the split-screen multiplayer works since my roommate got hooked on the demo and wants to play. I'm guessing it's co-op specific missions, but do you acquire loot that can be used in the single player? Does it look/run worse in split-screen?

Valcrist

just grabbed it, will be playing later.
What are the opinions on playing with the wiimote, will i need to get a ccpro?

why isnt there more excitement for this =[

Khezu

I am sure this gets asked a lot, maybe its even been asked in this very thread, not completely sure, but, why exactly does the CC have to be plugged into the wiimote? I know it kinda makes it wireless, but honestly it feels more like an anchor then anything. There are 4 perfectly good GCN ports on the top, and even two usb slots in the back. Mostly I just don't like that I still have to worry about using batteries, I guess I should just buy some rechargables and be done with it.

Amneisac

So I'm pretty excited for this, still a little concerned that I'm not going to be able to get past the controls, but we'll see. So here's a question:

Can anyone defend the controls being the way they are? I mean their 'clunkiness' and having to wait to finish animations, not being able to use items on the run/with your weapon out, all that stuff. Maybe it's bad of me, but I consider that to be common among a lot of the Japanese third person action games.

Wouldn't it be possible to pull something like this off with smoother controls and create a better game? I guess I don't understand much about game design, but bad controls just don't seem like something that should hold a game back in 2010.

Again, I'm getting this, very excited for the game, I love a lot of the concepts involved, just posing a question.

ShinNL

Amneisac said:
So I'm pretty excited for this, still a little concerned that I'm not going to be able to get past the controls, but we'll see. So here's a question:

Can anyone defend the controls being the way they are? I mean their 'clunkiness' and having to wait to finish animations, not being able to use items on the run/with your weapon out, all that stuff. Maybe it's bad of me, but I consider that to be common among a lot of the Japanese third person action games.

Wouldn't it be possible to pull something like this off with smoother controls and create a better game? I guess I don't understand much about game design, but bad controls just don't seem like something that should hold a game back in 2010.

Again, I'm getting this, very excited for the game, I love a lot of the concepts involved, just posing a question.
The attacks have a startup time, reach, movement and recovery time. Most games you are used to have only reach and startup time, but to me that feels very unrealistic and actually bothers me. Monster Hunter, like Shadow of the Colossus and Street Fighter, basically have physics applied to attack animations. Most Western folks actually don't appreciate it and just want quick action gaming. But the truth is, having more variables means you have to be more tactical about it. Monster Hunter is a real time tactical action game. It's not a stylish action game (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta).

All attack recovery animations can be canceled with a dodge (roll or step or hop, depending on your weapon type and direction), so this is the best way to play as smoothly as possible.

The sheath and unsheathing system is another layer of tactics. It's not just items: if you have sheathed your weapon you can do a dodge while running away from a monster (the funny running animation using twice as much stamina as normal running) and you'll do a diving dodge. This dodge gives you temporary invincibility and is an important part of the game. The reason why heavy weapons feel heavy isn't just because of it's controls and speed when unsheathed, but because sometimes there's no way to dodge something unless you do the dive dodge, and you'll realize that sheathing heavy weapons really feels slow and heavy.

Edit: woops, typo :lol

Sykotik

I adore the "clunky" animations, as it's what sets this game apart from the rest. I view the game as a sort of an old-school pattern memorization and risk vs. reward action game, combined with almost a feeling of turn-based split-second decisions. It all comes down to you having to think of what you're doing before you do it, and knowing what the boss can do before it does it, and making you're next move based on what is going to happen. This includes knowing how long it takes before the bosses animation is completing, as well as your own, and being prepared for what the bosses could do next.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's how I justify the way this game handles animations.

gotee12

Soneet said:
Monster Hunter, like Shadow of the Colossus and Street Fighter, basically have psychics applied to attack animations.
This alone makes the game worth the price of admission.

:lol

My answer for Amneisac's question is quite simply Demon's Souls. The very non-Western controls gave the game it's personality and flavor. DS's controls were not broken, simply very different from what most Western gamers were used to. And once you learned that difference, you discovered why the devs made the choices they did and the controls felt absolutely right for the game.

That's how MH is, IMO.

Dreavus

Well, I took about 45 minutes out of my day to get down to EBgames to see if they had the bundle i pre-ordered... and then was told that there was, in fact, a cut off for pre-orders on the bundle that they neglected to tell me about last week, and that they didn't know if they'd have one for me since I came in too late. (the bundles hadn't even arrived yet).

...So a bit later I walk into a Future Shop, pick a bundle up off the shelf, and get another 10% off because of some "VIP" promotion they were having. It literally couldn't have been easier. :lol

I hate to be "that guy" but I don't know why I bother with EB sometimes. :(

On an related note, I can't wait to get home and play this game. :D

This new controller feels SO FUCKING GOOD in my hands. Also i made my guy have the misfits face paint :D Still super early on gonna post in the online thread as soon as i get my ID set up/figured out.

kafka rock opera said:
This new controller feels SO FUCKING GOOD in my hands. Also i made my guy have the misfits face paint :D Still super early on gonna post in the online thread as soon as i get my ID set up/figured out.

Yeah, how exactly does one going about setting up the ID thing in this out of curiosity? I'd post mine but I'm not sure where to find it, also do multiple people share the same ID and all as I have my brother using the game as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I just picked up my preorder here in Ottawa. Didn't get my 5$ off or a 500 point Wii card.

SO my question is, was this promo available in-stores in Canada, and how can I prove it to the EBGames employees?

ShinNL

EmCeeGramr said:
Wait... I read that if you don't have Wii Speak, then you can't hear people who DO have Wii Speak.

Is that right?
Sounds wrong to me, where did you read that?

JKTrix

Picked up a white CCPro from Gamestop between classes, release-date delivery from Amazon for the game itself. Still got an hour before I can go home...

Played for 30 minutes so far. Game looks really good. Just wish the instruction manual was in color though. Classic controller feels the great. Probably the best controller I've held so far.

Got my bundle today and im loving it. Im seriously missing the fast text chat that i got on ad hoc party though because no one in the few matches i got into had mics and its just weird talking to yourself and getting no response text or otherwise.

Hiltz

Been playing for about 30 minutes so far. There's not much to say given how its' just the beginning of the game where you have to basically start from scratch. Currently, I've got some basic leather armor and a bone sword and shield. The graphics look very good especially in terms of the environments. Can't say much for the monsters yet given how the game only lets you hunt small creatures first.

The Classic Controller Pro feels real nice and works great with MH Tri in my opinion . I also think the game's boxart is among the best I've seen in quite some time.

I chose the "Elvis" hairstyle for my monster hunter character. By the way, I may have overlooked it, but where is the option to choose your gender at the character customization screen ?

So far, my only complaint about Monster Hunter Tri is that the text dialogue is kind of small especially when the background color of the text box is anything but black.

Teknoman

Gamer @ Heart said:
Got my bundle today and im loving it. Im seriously missing the fast text chat that i got on ad hoc party though because no one in the few matches i got into had mics and its just weird talking to yourself and getting no response text or otherwise.

Hmm so they dont have a wiispeak or a keyboard then? Or is there an in game keyboard menu for people who dont have either?

Teknoman said:
Hmm so they dont have a wiispeak or a keyboard then? Or is there an in game keyboard menu for people who dont have either?

Yeah. No one was talking at all in the lobbies i joined. For some reason the ingame keyboard is very weirdly separated and small. I hope there is a menu option in there somewhere to change it.

Still, the experience was smooth and im excited to play it with some gaffers once we start killing some big shit in a couple days.

Hiltz

Teknoman said:

If I'm not mistaken, there's an in-game virtual keyboard. I think it mentioned this in the game's instruction manual. I'll have to double check on that.

I'll definitely be going online as soon as possible and will use Wii Speak as well.

To all of those that have Wii speak, is it worth getting? I feel like it might be too loud and I won't be able to use it during the night, does it pick up everything in the room as well?

Phloxy

I want to pick it up but I have a 4.2 system with homebrew. Will playing this game cause my wii to brick or anything? Or is it safe.

Teknoman

You can edit the volume of wii speak transmission i'm sure. Also you just have to talk at normal conversation levels to be heard.

Top Bottom