• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

quinntendopower said:
damn that bomb run was awesome! i gotta try that

i was surprised at how fast it worked. did you have a bombardier skill, or pyro food skill?

spice up the commentary a little...

i don't know how people can play quiet, i've been playing over xbox live since it launched. there is a certain charm to it i suppose

Our bomb runs are on low level monsters so they go down pretty quick. These are strictly for the lol factor after all. Though we are working our way up the food chain.

As for commentary, I talked a lot more than what comes through as I lack anything as fancy as a headset. I was just using my laptop's built in mic and it was sitting too far away from me to pick up more than some unintelligible noises. I'll try to do better next time.

Nicktals

Banned
quinntendopower said:
damn that bomb run was awesome! i gotta try that

i was surprised at how fast it worked. did you have a bombardier skill, or pyro food skill?

spice up the commentary a little...

i don't know how people can play quiet, i've been playing over xbox live since it launched. there is a certain charm to it i suppose

I think I'll have a beer or 3 next time. That should spice up the commentary a bit =)

EDIT: Nice work though Znarf, they look and sound great. Really looking forward to doing that again.

How's this Sunday work for people?

Nicktals said:
I think I'll have a beer or 3 next time. That should spice up the commentary a bit =)

EDIT: Nice work though Znarf, they look and sound great. Really looking forward to doing that again.

How's this Sunday work for people?

I'll be there. Who knows, maybe I'll even splurge and pick up a cheap headset.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
I'll be there. Who knows, maybe I'll even splurge and pick up a cheap headset.

You should. I was really happy that my headset worked so well. I have a turtle beach one for my 360, and plugged it into my computer for the first time, and I think it worked surprisingly well.

EDIT: Znarf, you willing to do this again sometime sunday afternoon or evening (EST)?

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Znarf, you willing to do this again sometime sunday afternoon or evening (EST)?

Is that a trick question? Heh, of course I'm up for it. I'm still trying to work out the audio feedback problem when streaming to JustinTv while on Skype. I hope I can get it working properly by Sunday.

Alien Manobo said:
I'm still re-encoding the other sessions with Lance BP and will post here when uploaded.
Cool. I wish I had played better during our runs, heh.

I got caught on video carving from a corpse and then getting clobbered! :p

Awesome work with the videos, Znarf. Voice chat is such a welcome addition to our hunts. I'm glad I picked up a new headset for it. If wii speak ever gets plugged into my wii again, it'll be too soon. Guess we could add a bit more commentary during the fight though :p

Count me in for this weekend. Anytime is a good time for me.

Thanks guys, I was worried that the videos might look crap when I uploaded it.

Here are the last batch of videos that I will upload until we can show something more fun to watch.

A Very Loooooooong Rage Match Event Quest
with LBP, Jason and Nick

Burnt Offering with Nick and Lance BP My audio level was too low and it seemed like Nick was talking to himself.

Ian Los Mayhem VC with Nick, Jason and Khory

Sammy Samusu said:
I hate adrenaline, I'm always checking other people's heath, lol.

Oh, and nice lance skills. :)

Thanks, I think I just got lucky that time.

I'm pretty much an adrenaline noob and even with Guard +2 I keep on learning the hard way how risky this skill set is (Guard +2 Sharp+1 Adr+2).

I've been called an "epic fail O_O" by a random(?) 'coz of it. *sad face*

EDIT: let me pimp out GDorofu's YT channel. He/she's a GAF lurker and makes cool MH3 videos.

I have two suggestions for our hunting group this weekend. One is a bombing run on low Ura and/or Agna and the other is we all forge a weapon we suck at/have never used and go attack Jho. I have a rusted hammer I could upgrade. I've never used a hammer before.

DragonGirl said:
I have two suggestions for our hunting group this weekend. One is a bombing run on low Ura and/or Agna and the other is we all forge a weapon we suck at/have never used and go attack Jho. I have a rusted hammer I could upgrade. I've never used a hammer before.

What if we just use low rank un-upgraded armor and weapons on hi rank mobs? Or better yet, hunt with no armors, no chakra stuff.

Boney

Banned
there's zero chance of me being on this weekend, cause it's a crazy week the one that comes, so don't get burnt out dudes!

Alien Manobo said:
Ian Los Mayhem VC with Nick, Jason and Khory

I always try to land the last para shot on monsters like ian/los while they're flying so they squirm on the ground for awhile before being paralyzed/put to sleep. Luckily Khory cut the tail before he entered a fully paralyzed state. Poor Rathalos. It's always nice to paralyze a monster just before they roar as well. =)

A no armor hunt sounds like so much fun by the way.

DragonGirl said:

Bombing run on Lagi is something I have been really looking forward to as well. Underwater bombing with a monster who is very weak against bombs sounds like fun to me.

Chopper Dave said:
I always try to land the last para shot on monsters like ian/los while they're flying so they squirm on the ground for awhile before being paralyzed/put to sleep. Luckily Khory cut the tail before he entered a fully paralyzed state. Poor Rathalos. It's always nice to paralyze a monster just before they roar as well. =)

A no armor hunt sounds like so much fun by the way.

Bombing run on Lagi is something I have been really looking forward to as well. Underwater bombing with a monster who is very weak against bombs sounds like fun to me.

Oooh, I don't think I've ever done one underwater yet.

Little Green Yoda said:
That sounds AWESOME. I'd heard about this but I thought it was just a small sidegame people played; didn't know that there were Official Rules drawn up. Wonder how they fine-tuned these rules though. An Exciteshroom?
The last time I read the suggestions for how to play the game, it was still in its development/joke phase where the protectors might choose not to disclose their role to an unsuspecting group.

I'm not sure how practical the rules are when you can't verify that players' item inventories are legal. About the only thing you could check for are equipment restriction violations.

Poyunch

Boo I wanted to play with you guys this weekend but gotta go out with the family to celebrate my bro's bday. Next weekend (if you guys are up to it)?

I joined Lance and got an Uragann ruby. I can't believe it. Natually I need more because everything I'm forging needs something monsters hate to give me. Also, other than doing 6 star quests, is there a good way to get heavy armor spheres?

Tenbatsu

DragonGirl said:
I joined Lance and got an Uragann ruby. I can't believe it. Natually I need more because everything I'm forging needs something monsters hate to give me. Also, other than doing 6 star quests, is there a good way to get heavy armor spheres?
Nope. Either that or some of the event quests/5 Star quests. The rate is better for 6 star.

Hiltz

DragonGirl said:

There's a chance to obtain heavy armors from doing the following 5 star quests:
(you can also get them from doing the optional subquests as well)

- Rathalos Research
- Into the Danger Zone
- Rotten Fish
- Gigginox RX
- The Lost Expedition
- The Thrill of the Hunt
- The Molten Monstrocity (complete both subquests for better results)
- Agnakator Alert (complete both subquests for better results)
- [Advanced quests] Run Down a Rathalos, Lick a Lagiacrus, The Lost Expedtion, & Heroes Wanted
- Event quest "Fiery Skies, Frozen Fields" (Rathalos & Barioth)

The 5 star capture Agnakator quests appear to be one of the best ways to get heavy armor spheres by the way.

Hiltz said:
There's a chance to obtain heavy armors from doing the following 5 star quests:
(you can also get them from doing the optional subquests as well)

- Rathalos Research
- Into the Danger Zone
- Rotten Fish
- Gigginox RX
- The Lost Expedition
- The Thrill of the Hunt
- The Molten Monstrocity (complete both subquests for better results)
- Agnakator Alert (complete both subquests for better results)
- [Advanced quests] Run Down a Rathalos, Lick a Lagiacrus, The Lost Expedtion, & Heroes Wanted
- Event quest "Fiery Skies, Frozen Fields" (Rathalos & Barioth)

The 5 star capture Agnakator quests appear to be one of the best ways to get heavy armor spheres by the way.

Nice, it's easier to find randoms to do the 5 star quests than the 6.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:
So, who's going to be on tomorrow? I bought a headset and everything.

I will be. I'm tentatively planning on getting on around 1 PM eastern. So I can get some good hours in before dinner.

Things I've learned on Monster Hunter today

No armor hunts = Fun

No armor hunts with rusted weapons only = OMG why did we do this!?

Khory, you should have been there to talk us out of it. It was not pretty. Amazing hunts otherwise though

Chopper Dave said:
Things I've learned on Monster Hunter today

No armor hunts = Fun

Khory, you should have been there to talk us out of it. It was not pretty. Amazing hunts otherwise though
Heh, well at least you didn't throw rocks at it.

Hey guys, I think my wii is on its last legs, I'm experiencing occasional black screen flickering in game thus resulting in some dropped frames while recording.

It took a while to upload with my 1mbps connection, here are the videos as promised:

Bomb Run: Diablos
Bomb Run: Lagiacrus
Bomg Run: Uragaan

Naked Hunt on Ian with a non-GAF player

Just for the heck of it, The Failed Ala Cluster Gun Test.

Chopper Dave said:
So true!

DragonGirl said:
Heh, well at least you didn't throw rocks at it.
This is why rusted weapons while naked (bad upload, fixing link when upload is done) isn't such a good idea. I think we would've done better if we just threw rocks at it.

Peco and Ian Naked Hunt Fail: Why we should always listen to Khory.

The last two videos linked aren't listed in public, let me know if you want me to flip the switch to being listed. The nox gun test and 11+ minute ala cluster trial isn't uploaded, they're pretty meh, do you still want those?

As always, it's been fun hunting with you guys.

PS: Sorry I was late on Sunday, net was acting up on me again.

EDIT: Broken link fixed

Alien Manobo said:
Hey guys, I think my wii is on its last legs, I'm experiencing occasional black screen flickering in game thus resulting in some dropped frames while recording.

I'll get the shock paddles...

Alien Manobo said:
Peco and Ian Naked Hunt Fail: Why we should always listen to Khory.

Yes, because I am always right always.

In other news, our little gunning experiment urged me to do what I've meant to do for ages now: create a new character who's a gunner. I started a new game to learn gunning from scratch and have successfully killed small monsters with a medium bowgun.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I just started this game! It's fun. Seems like I have a lot to learn though, considering I can't even finish any Arena challenges yet... :c

Raide

SovanJedi said:
I just started this game! It's fun. Seems like I have a lot to learn though, considering I can't even finish any Arena challenges yet... :c

Did you jump straight into online? Brave!

Okay, I've got a gunning question. Other than looking at your ammo list, how do you determine what ammo a gun can fire? None of the stat screens at the forge seem to give any indication of this.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Okay, I've got a gunning question. Other than looking at your ammo list, how do you determine what ammo a gun can fire? None of the stat screens at the forge seem to give any indication of this.
Go to equipment and select the gun, there it'll appear how many bullets the gun can hold per load, if nothing appears, you can't fire it.

Also, if the number is inside a brown square, that means the gun has rapid fire properties regarding that shot.

Boney said:
Go to equipment and select the gun, there it'll appear how many bullets the gun can hold per load, if nothing appears, you can't fire it.

Also, if the number is inside a brown square, that means the gun has rapid fire properties regarding that shot.

So, this information is only available after I've already forged the weapon? I was hoping I could learn this sort of info before I spent money making the thing.

Edit: Also, I'll bite. Why is your dog upside down?

Top Bottom