• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Alex said:
Because it's a reboot, the few things that did make it in were all redesigned and a lot of the game systems were altered.

When they're trying to reel back in the pacing and importance of every creature akin to MH1, why would they go down a route that has them cramming things in ala MHFU
?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Please, it's Capcom, the reason shit like tougher color variants aren't in game is so they can be put into the inevitable G version that will come out in a year's time, along with the missing weapons.

Ughhh lots of fuck-ups in a little session we had XD. Including me being stupid and accidentally moving the wiimote and hitting a barrel, breaking it. The dude who planted it was like "Why did you do thaaat? Come on man" :lol

Fuck! My bad, seriously. It was a stupid mistake. And then of course right as we're about to trap it, and other people have died twice already, I go above the trap in the water in hopes to lure it, and then it starts the suction attack... RIGHT ON ME. :lol Oh man, that was pretty frustrating.

ashism

Getting pretty over trying to babysit the HR1's. At least learn some of the basics of SP before throwing yourself online and tackling 4 jaggis.

Alex

I dont doubt they'll return some prior elements, it would be senseless not to, but probably with greater design attention going by the old interviews and goals from the MH Tri interviews. It's not really how much they had in the end but how they managed it, which was poorly, and they seemed to get that, which is why Tri is more like MH1 with a bunch of streamlined elements from 2G.

MHFU was just a cornucopia of absolutely fucking everything, and while it was great, it was fun it was also really lacking in how it flowed compared to MH1, which is especially easy to say since I went right from MH1 to MHFU.

A majority of the equipment and creatures were glorified cameos, swaths of the mapping was meaningless and they didn't even attempt to really challenge you until 75% through the low-rank quests.

Kandinsky

ashism said:
Getting pretty over trying to babysit the HR1's. At least learn some of the basics of SP before throwing yourself online and tackling 4 jaggis.
Damn so sorry about that, never again:lol

MickeyKnox said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Please, it's Capcom, the reason shit like tougher color variants aren't in game is so they can be put into the inevitable G version that will come out in a year's time, along with the missing weapons.

They where creating a bunch of new content so they scaled the game back to be comparable to MH2. Dont be hatin.

I just hope they add frontier monsters for Tri G. PLEASE CAPCOM.

mclem

I'm really getting into the 4 Great Jaggi quest. Which is good, because I've got to do it at least one more time; no heads last time, and I still need one. I'm a long way behind the rest of you; only just unlocked Barroth offline, and still not on 2* quests online yet. I'm slowed down somewhat by the fact that my housemate's girlfriend really doesn't like violent stuff (Yeah, I know it's not that violent; I won't be playing Manhunt any time soon) so out of politeness I try not to play it while she's around, and she's been around a lot lately.

Out of interest, because no-one's complained but I often feel guilty when I do it: Running to homebase (if it's nearby) for a nap - fair game to avoid fainting or bad practice because it's leaving my buddies in the lurch?

markatisu

mclem said:
Out of interest, because no-one's complained but I often feel guilty when I do it: Running to homebase (if it's nearby) for a nap - fair game to avoid fainting or bad practice because it's leaving my buddies in the lurch?

Well it's better then fainting and costing your team money

mclem said:
I'm slowed down somewhat by the fact that my housemate's girlfriend really doesn't like violent stuff (Yeah, I know it's not that violent; I won't be playing Manhunt any time soon) so out of politeness I try not to play it while she's around, and she's been around a lot lately.

Solution:

1. Next time you see her drooling, run to the kitchen and leave some tainted meat on the floor. (Pro tip - drop the meat BETWEEN her and the fridge.)

2. After she has gone to the kitchen, eaten the tainted meat and is incapacitated by it, drop a large barrel bomb beside her.

3. Place a small barrel bomb beside the large one.

4. Leave the kitchen expeditiously.

5. Return to the kitchen, draw your weapon and go for the head.

d0c_zaius

so im about to finish offline and say goodbye to easy monsters forever.

any Uragaan tips?

after I complete this and the last fight, ill be online 3star+ forever, if anyone is looking to do some HR18+ stuff...

bigdaddygamebot said:
Solution:

1. Next time you see her drooling, run to the kitchen and leave some tainted meat on the floor. (Pro tip - drop the meat BETWEEN her and the fridge.)

2. After she has gone to the kitchen, eaten the tainted meat and is incapacitated by it, drop a large barrel bomb beside her.

:lol

Boney

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Solution:

:lol :lol

Owzers

mclem said:
I'm really getting into the 4 Great Jaggi quest. Which is good, because I've got to do it at least one more time; no heads last time, and I still need one. I'm a long way behind the rest of you; only just unlocked Barroth offline, and still not on 2* quests online yet. I'm slowed down somewhat by the fact that my housemate's girlfriend really doesn't like violent stuff (Yeah, I know it's not that violent; I won't be playing Manhunt any time soon) so out of politeness I try not to play it while she's around, and she's been around a lot lately.

I'm not a pro and resort to running to heal...though i didn't think of taking a nap if the base is close. I always figure not dying > leaving party for 30 seconds.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Damn it I need a flint stone and I can't freaking get one. Should I trap the bastard?

botticus

I hope I'm not the only person who is completely useless (as opposed to mildly useless) when diving into the water. I'm fairly certain I could beat Royal Ludroth eventually, but not when I am only capable of exchanging one hit with him everytime we swim past each other. At least I cut off his tail and finished via subquest to pick up a couple Ludroth scales.

schuelma said:
Damn it I need a flint stone and I can't freaking get one. Should I trap the bastard?
I'd guess that would leave you with good odds, but the one time I've captured him after breaking his flints didn't net me one (even with my Jaggi mask!). Only one I've gotten so far was apparently at random during the 4 Jaggi quest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I just soloed Barroth successfully on my first try. Sleep Shot is a godsend for capturing.

Barroth is new to MH3, right? Seriously I just dig the design. Really unique with the whole "likes to get dirty" behavior, and just really seemed alive and intimidating. Those jaws are really impressive.

Owzers

Hawkian said:
So I just soloed Barroth successfully on my first try. Sleep Shot is a godsend for capturing.

Barroth is new to MH3, right? Seriously I just dig the design. Really unique with the whole "likes to get dirty" behavior, and just really seemed alive and intimidating. Those jaws are really impressive.

If you put the monster to sleep, do you still have to tranq it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sillymonkey321 said:
If you put the monster to sleep, do you still have to tranq it?

Yeah, you put to sleep and then lay the trap (you can essentially set the trap down right ON it and it won't wake up, then just kick him in the face and he'll be trapped immediately). Then you tranq (or tranq shot) as usual.

markatisu

going to go online in a bit, finally found a keyboard do I won't be so quiet

I am like HR5 so hope I won't be too much of a liability to whoever is on

Just got powned by Berioth (
saber cat monster
).

CANT THIS FREAK BITCH STAND STILL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

bigdaddygamebot said:
Solution:

:lol

Alex

The Gigganox is a way, way better monster than Khezu ever was (although I believe it's technically an evolved Khezu anyway). Khezu was never threatening, he was very slow, very predictable, very bland. I would agree that Khezu was creepier though, as it was more realistic (and that freaking scream, ugh) and the Gigganox is more exaggerated.

Teknoman

DragonGirl said:
So I fought my first Gigginox today (offline) and I must say that is the creepiest, nastiest, most unnerving nightmare fuel beastie in the game. I ultimately ran out of time and finished via subquest.

You think its bad offline, try fighting it with one of its ends (never know which is which) eating someone alive. Worse than the Rathian mauling.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If there is something i really hate about this game online is that you can't join a group that isn't full if they're already in a quest, i waste so much time trying to find a city where i can actually, you know, quest.

And what kind of quests actually improve your HR? The 4 Jaggis event quest improve my HR from 1 to 3, but the quest where you have to gather stuff underwater gave me nothing.

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
If there is something i really hate about this game online is that you can't join a group that isn't full if they're already in a quest, i waste so much time trying to find a city where i can actually, you know, quest.

And what kind of quests actually improve your HR? The 4 Jaggis event quest improve my HR from 1 to 3, but the quest where you have to gather stuff underwater gave me nothing.
HR levels are basically like levels. You earn "experience" from each quest obviously the more difficult quests yield more "experience". You can actually see after you complete a quest during the briefing how many points you've received from a quest.

Kad5

I love this game so fucking much! It's so addictive trying to get all the best armor and weapons!

This is hands down the best third-party Wii game and the best online Wii game.

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Agian, thank you for your help

I actually don't like how it looks at all, one of those armors I'm just biting the bullet aesthetically.

The thing I don't understand about that charm chart is when these charms become available. I've never found a "Timeworm" class charm and I'm going to guess that I can't until high rank, which brings back my fear of this Ceadeus set getting outclassed def wise. It seems rather silly to me trying to mess around with a standard Ceadeus set when at that point in the game even the high rank leather armor has more def.
I think you missed out on some info in my post. Anw there are 2 types of the same armor, one g ver and one non g ver with different skills points distribution/slots/skills. Both will have the same defence when fully upgrade.

Teknoman said:
You think its bad offline, try fighting it with one of its ends (never know which is which) eating someone alive. Worse than the Rathian mauling.

Ugh, before I knew what it was capable of it got me twice with that ceiling maneuver.

d0c_zaius

yay I beat offline!

I think everyone should play all the way to the end offline once they get their character beefed up. Its worth it for the final fight and short endings.

now to get back to online and farming barioth :D

and dont forget to wait after the credits. Batoru means battle!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Losing a mission as a gunner is a really expensive proposition. Kinda getting sick of this shit. He's pathetic on land but I just can't kill him in the water.

edit: :lol screw it, I am completely out of potions, I'm done for the night. Requesting tips for soloing Gobul as a gunner here.

Tenbatsu

d0c_zaius said:
yay I beat offline!

I think everyone should play all the way to the end offline once they get their character beefed up. Its worth it for the final fight and short endings.

now to get back to online and farming barioth :D

and dont forget to wait after the credits. Batoru means battle!
There are duo monsters quests offline now. Good luck.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Hawkian said:
Losing a mission as a gunner is a really expensive proposition. Kinda getting sick of this shit. He's pathetic on land but I just can't kill him in the water.

edit: :lol screw it, I am completely out of potions, I'm done for the night. Requesting tips for soloing Gobul as a gunner here.

I used the Royal Ludroth gun and the Sub ammo. It took me 46 minutes to do it solo, bring every healing imaginable, buff stuff, as well as combine ingredients to make more ammo. To be honest, I would never do this guy solo with a bowgun again, it was hell.

Almost ready to go online, just want some tips from those who have been there.

I'm about to jump into the Barroth fight but wanna upgrade too the second switch axe first. Still wearing full Jaggi with (S) ATK Boost, Full Negate stun.

I played every MH, each about 3-400 single and coop, so Jaggi, Bird, and R. Ludroth were cake, first run kills. Haven't fainted yet :)
Being a Hammer and Long Sword user before has made me near untouchable since I never had to learn how to block.

So any suggestions before I go online, feel like I'm so behind now :(

In global news today, a Diablos in the Sahara Desert sneezed. This caused its tail to whip back and forth. Several cities hundreds of miles away were destroyed by the tail, and damage has been reported across the globe, including Asia and the Americas. All contact has been lost with the International Space Station, and military analysts believe that the tail may have hit the space station directly.

The United States launched several high-grade nuclear devices at the wyvern in response, taking away 0.01% of its HP. The Diablos reported laughed a laugh that would haunt men's souls, and its tail whipped so far that it went back in time and killed the grandparents of all personnel at the nuclear missile silos and at NORAD.

Also, one monster hunter reported "its tail went out of my TV and destroyed my house irl, i am now a hobo hunter hunting rats and other hobos please help"

More as it develops.

blackflag

Gigginox is annoying the first time or 2 you fight him but he rely has one of the easiest movesets to memorize and predict. I had to kill him 3 times to get a pale extract and by the 3rd time, be didn't hit me once. I went back and fought him again afterwards and got hit a few times but it really is easy.

Meesh

Hiltz said:
First of all, congrats on your purchase. You've just bought one of the best Wii titles. The game will get much better later on as the first couple of hour in the begining is basically just the tutorial mode to help ease you into learning the basic tasks of gathering items and slaying monsters and stuff.
The town will grow a little bit over time as you complete quests. Just don't expect too much from it. It's actually kind of a good thing so you can find everything you need in the town close by. I mean,you'll basically be using all of the npc shops so none of them are really useless except for perhaps the weapon sales woman who doesn't seem to offer much in terms of new stuff based on what I've seen.
I tried my n00b hand online, it was fairly easy to access :) and no friend codes!!?? Either I forgot, or I haven't played enough...not on gaf enough?? Anyways, going online opens things up quite a bit, between that and the single player mode...well it's hella fr@cking hoooooge!!! MH3 is definitely a rare treat. I can't stop playing...slowly....becoming.......addicted......

Top Bottom