• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

forrest

formerly nacire
Managed to get my save file transferred and I'll be ready for online very soon. I just need to adjust to the differences in buttons with the x,y and a,b being opposite from the 360 pad.

Looking forward to some hunting with everyone!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bought the Jaggi Mask for 30000z. And the 1st Long Sword. I went from 50000z to under 10000. :,(

Owzers

i want to buy a jaggi mask and a long sword...and i have 50k too right now Xo.

Buttttt still need to know how auto-guard armor skill works and if it works if a weapon can't block.

ZeroAX

sillymonkey321 said:
i want to buy a jaggi mask and a long sword...and i have 50k too right now Xo.

Buttttt still need to know how auto-guard armor skill works and if it works if a weapon can't block.
You can only block if you have a weapon that can block, obviously.

If you're facing the monster and not attacking, it will auto-block for you. If you get hit form behind or are attacking it wont activate the block.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I burned out on Monster Hunter after 500+ hours in the very first one for the PS2...

I have to ask, is this one a little easier in the whole finding a team and etc.?

Seriously... that game burned me out when you could spend upwards of 2 hours just trying to find a suitable team for the harder quests :/

Poyunch

lsslave said:
I burned out on Monster Hunter after 500+ hours in the very first one for the PS2...

I have to ask, is this one a little easier in the whole finding a team and etc.?

Seriously... that game burned me out when you could spend upwards of 2 hours just trying to find a suitable team for the harder quests :/
There are a few times where it seems hard to find teammates but that's mainly because I hang out at the GAF established server/city. But when I go to other servers there are a lot of places packed with players.

Tytree

Neo Member
lsslave said:

Honestly, I barely have to look around much for a team. I flip through various city gates/cities looking for people at my rank and join. Most people have been down for whatever.

markatisu

just finished an epic royal ludroth hunt with some gaffers, the damn thing would not die

Jesus I have logged 10hrs online just this weekend :lol:

sfried

The first time I've fought a Gigginox: My team and I eventually took it down and trapped it after I've nearly depleted my supply of Mega Potions (10 of them) and regular potions (also 10 of them) from getting poisoned several times. We then proceeded with the farming mission when I returned back to the cave, and lo and behold Gigginox was free. Me team all start running to take it down once more. Holy crap I was completely out of potions and not a single ration left. I run back to camp only to consume the last remaining rations and rest, then go back to assisting it take it down. My God after getting swallowed and poisoned several more times and trapping it again, our only remaining crew with enough stamina left head back to camp. 3 Redstones left and 5 minuites ticking on the clock. We could barely run to camp and we just made it enough to finish on time.

So yeah, Gigginox. Crazy.

sfried

I Push Fat Kids said:
Gubol tips?
Look for frogs near the shore where you find Ludroths in D. Island. Use it near the lake in wetlands to fish Gobul out. Subquest complete.
lsslave said:

There is a Friend Rooster search. It makes it easier to finding your teammates especially when you can warp to their position.

Also if you don't have any Paintballs left, pressing plus and minus (+, -) comes very handy.

Kevtones

sfried said:
Look for frogs near the shore where you find Ludroths in D. Island. Use it near the lake in wetlands to fish Gobul out. Subquest complete.

I just said 'rad' aloud. Thanks :D

LOVE this game.

sfried

I Push Fat Kids said:
I just said 'rad' aloud. Thanks :D

LOVE this game.
It made me realize how repetative Phantasy Star Zero could get. At least the missions here have variety and you aren't always obligated to fight the boss.

Alex

All of my praise for the Bowgun redo is gone, in the end it just winds up wonky and worse off. I am so glad they're reverting it for Freedom 3 rather than trying to fix it when it was really never broken.

Parts are too limited, and the separation between them is just weirdly balanced. Everyone just tries to make Mediums and you wind up with even less selection than before. If you had the 18 hojillion fodder monsters from MHFU it might work, but this way I'm not enjoying it.

I'm also still annoyed over the Bow removal. Bows were underplayed but they were conceptually great. The game needs a second ranged weapon at least. They should really bring back Bows and H.Horns (and totally redesign horns) and put em all on Gunner armor.

Tenbatsu

sfried said:
You can find frog in flooded forest at area 2.

Alex said:
All of my praise for the Bowgun redo is gone, in the end it just winds up wonky and worse off. I am so glad they're reverting it for Freedom 3 rather than trying to fix it when it was really never broken.

Parts are too limited, and the separation between them is just weirdly balanced. Everyone just tries to make Mediums and you wind up with even less selection than before. If you had the 18 hojillion fodder monsters from MHFU it might work, but this way I'm not enjoying it.
Huh? Bowguns are awesome in MH3. You sure you doing it right? Maybe you can state an example.

Alex

Tenbatsu said:
You can find frog in flooded forest at area 2.

Huh? Bowguns are awesome in MH3. You sure you doing it right? Maybe you can state an example.

They play fine, better than ever due to the few tweaks, especially inate zooming. I'm probably ans close to expert level as I'll ever be at anything in this game at actually playing with them as I've been usin' em as a primary since the PS2 original, it's the system in making and customizing them that's needless and empty, it's actually forced me into a melee primary and its a bit sad for me.

It's supposed to grant more variety, you wind up with less in the end because everyone wants the exact same type of gun and there's very few parts to go around. Maybe it opens up in high rank but for now it REALLY sucks and I'm missing the old method of just buying the whole thing and sticking what upgrades I want on it.

Also, in the end it's a minor complaint, but why does an individual bowgun part cost as much, part wise, to make as an entire weapon. It's obnoxious. Like if I'm looking at a combo I was interested in, it'd take a plate, a maw, etc, just silly.

+new stat types
+inate zooming
+cool new ammos
-some old ammo could've used consolidating or tweaking in this type of reform
-low part variety
-high cost
-medium tier muckup
-should have handled rapidfire better with the reform

Tenbatsu

I see. Personally I love it but I do agreed about the lack of parts initially. It will open up later on.

Just like charms and armors, people will be wearing the same type of armor during low level, but once they figure out the system and have plenty of charms in their disposal, they will start wearing different combinations.

As for the cost factor, I think it is a way to prevent people from using the same gun combination just like the armor with the random charms. But people will have their way anw.

Btw the tail cutting bullet is pretty useless IMO. Takes way too much bullets to cut a tail and its not easy to aim at all.

Sprsk: The next time you see me I will be a gunner:D
V

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Alex said:

I'm also still annoyed over the Bow removal. Bows were underplayed but they were conceptually great. The game needs a second ranged weapon at least. They should really bring back Bows and H.Horns (and totally redesign horns) and put em all on Gunner armor.

Don't you think Hunting Horns we're redundant? I mean anyone can carry a health horn or whatever. All it really had on the hammer was distance. If they retooled it into something like the SNH where it was like a fast and weaker blunt weapon it would be cool, I think. A club, or maybe a morning star type.

I played Bow on MHF and I just found it super weak and no where near as cool as a bowgun. Made it redundant as well. Not to mention boring!

I agree in the end the bowgun retool has too many drawbacks. I was pretty disappointed by the amt of parts available. (And I've seen them all, even the ones that don't "exist") But tbh, the Lance is so perfectly tooled now I couldn't care less, lol.

Alex

sprsk said:
Don't you think Hunting Horns we're redundant? I mean anyone can carry a health horn or whatever. All it really had on the hammer was distance. If they retooled it into something like the SNH where it was like a fast and weaker blunt weapon it would be cool, I think. A club, or maybe a morning star type.

I played Bow on MHF and I just found it super weak and no where near as cool as a bowgun. Made it redundant as well. Not to mention boring!

I agree in the end the bowgun retool has too many drawbacks. I was pretty disappointed by the amt of parts available. (And I've seen them all, even the ones that don't "exist") But tbh, the Lance is so perfectly tooled now I couldn't care less, lol.

I really like bard type stuff, so you'll never get me to pan it! I think the idea of a centralized buffing class is still a great idea, but the H.Horn was just too clunky and the note system not fleshed out enough.

They should retool it so you buff (add debuffs,please) by attacking the monster. And Harps might be a more unique method than a club like horn. I don't know. I just like bards and feel they should get more weapon classes on gunner armor.

The bow had great mechanics. I really liked how it was about charge levels and, and I thought it worked better mechanically, mobility wise, than a light bowgun. Bowgun wise I'm always about heavies, personally. It'd easy to tweak damage output on those.

The anti-Dragon Bows were super fun not to mention cool looking!

Bows in general are great looking in MH.

I was huge on Lance in MH1, but I kinda got sidetracked when all the new stuff came. My friend raves about it though, so I'm wanting to try it out again too.

Leezard

How does the elemental damage work? Is the elemental damage added to the physical damage or is the elemental damage part of the physical on a weapon? I'm asking since I have a Ludroth hammer that has about the same physical damage as my bone bludgeon, but it keeps the sharpness better. I'm about to attack a Gobul now though, and it seems to take no damage from water. Is it still worth it to use the Ludroth splashhammer on him or should I switch?

Luigiv

Leezard said:
How does the elemental damage work? Is the elemental damage added to the physical damage or is the elemental damage part of the physical on a weapon? I'm asking since I have a Ludroth hammer that has about the same physical damage as my bone bludgeon, but it keeps the sharpness better. I'm about to attack a Gobul now though, and it seems to take no damage from water. Is it still worth it to use the Ludroth splashhammer on him or should I switch?
It adds on top of raw damage.

Here's the damage formulas if you want more info.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Speaking of Bowguns, is there some way to control it through dual-analog? Had a go with one in the Arena, but using the D-Pad for "quck-aim" and then the left stick for scope aim just seemed like terrible control for me.

I wish more people would play with Bowguns. I think I've only encountered three Gunner in the circa 25 hours I played online and I found them to be a great help and probably the most constructive part of the team. I'm personally not a big fan of playing with the Bowgun myself, though.

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
Slice Ammo, going by description, though my friend told me WyvernFire also cut tails... hum.
Slice ammo cut tails only.

Lyphen said:
Speaking of Bowguns, is there some way to control it through dual-analog? Had a go with one in the Arena, but using the D-Pad for "quck-aim" and then the left stick for scope aim just seemed like terrible control for me.
Nope, thats the only option. Anw you will get used to it in a while.

slaughterking said:
I wish more people would play with Bowguns. I think I've only encountered three Gunner in the circa 25 hours I played online and I found them to be a great help and probably the most constructive part of the team. I'm personally not a big fan of playing with the Bowgun myself, though.
IMHO, bowgun is the strongest weapon in team play. They are sort of like a playmaker (or in soccer term, a midfielder) in the team.

Those record timing videos which I seen, the key usually lies in the gunner.

I hit my first slump yesterday and didn't feel like playing MH at all :(. After beating offline mode there is nothing to do, I really don't like how they tied high rank to online only.

All my freinds aren't into this game as much as I am and trying to pull together a group to go through online mode took a few hours yesterday. It's very frustrating. I'm really considering joining up with you guys instead of my freinds.
Tenbatsu said:
Both will have the same defence when fully upgrade.
wait..... what?

I upgraded my Ceadeus mail with my adv armor spheres and it said level 5 was the max. It's possible to go beyond that making the standard sets as def potent as the G sets? If I understand correctly that sounds awesome!

Tenbatsu

Yes, you are able to upgrade them when you reach high level quest online.

Nothing to play? I thought there are urgent duo monsters missions in offline mode after you completed the game?

Tenbatsu said:
Nothing to play? I thought there are urgent duo monsters missions in offline mode after you completed the game?
The duo quests do get unlocked but I don't see any benefit from doing except for the sake of challenge. Right now I'm in a "I wanna get stronger" mood.

I'll see if I can't coax my freinds into taking the game more seriously and work towards high quests.

Ridley327

Eteric Rice said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FV6hvORAcA&feature=player_embedded#!

Wut...

That's the first footage that I've seen of Rathalos in the game and I could be going crazy, but he looks bigger than he did in MH1.

Top Bottom