• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

mclem

mugwhump said:
Wow, dis game's complicated ¯\(ºдಠ)

What's the gunner's pouch for? Can I put my shit in it?

Dung will go in any po... Oh, I *see*.

I believe that if you're using a bowgun, it'll use that pouch instead of the normal one, allowing you to not have to worry about grabbing huge piles of ammo each time you change weapons.

Reknoc

What the. I thought Royal Ludroth would be the biggest threat in this quest (Capture R. Ludroth) but it is infact Felyne Suicide Bombers.

dsister44

Fistwell said:
Attention EU players. I'll b in wisdom 1, gate 40, city 40. HR18+ wanted, but anyone's welcome!

I'm afriad i'll be out of the MH scene for a while, my place at uni has only got wired internet. However I will soon be ordering a nintendo USB thingy so I can jump bakc in. If anyone knows where I can get one cheap it would be much appreciated. Hopfully I won't fall too far behind. how much of the 3* quests have you done?

demonkaze said:
Anyone know how to go about capturing Gobul, and whats the best way to get its spikes?

I found that cutting off it's tail got me plenty of spikes. (Well...1 from carving the tail and 1 after in the loot screen)

Also...can anyone comment on the dual royal ludroth event quest?

Are there any strange/rare loots to get from it, or charms like the 4 Great Jaggi quest?

Fighting two of them in the water arena was kindof underwhelming and I'm not particularly excited about doing it more when I just opened up 2 star quests online and they seem WAY more interesting.

topramen

God Damn Save our Ship. My Ludroth's nail isn't doing shit.

I forged and upgraded to a Rugged Great Sword, is there anyway I can get fire to attach to that?

Also, how do talismans work?

oh oh and what exactly does a felyne bomb do? I hit ludroth with one in area 2 of flooded forest and the cats seemed to be attacking him, does this do any appreciable amount of damage

Owzers

Just tried out a great sword ( the jawblade one)...i don't think great swords are for me. Are they supposed to be really great at cutting off tails?

kinggroin

Banned
Went online this morning to try and find someone hunting a R. Ludroth (need it to get my next Hammer upgrade), but instead found myself in a quest hunting 4 Great Jaggi :D

Two guys left 2 minutes in, but me and the one other dude persisted until we finished it off with 7 minutes left.

Good times.

botticus

Alex said:
You can hurt him fine, early weapons barely have green anyway. Try to hit softer spots if you're concerned with the damage loss. Monsters have elaborate damage models, they aren't just one big target so it'll connect cleaner in certain areas.
Well I guess I'll give him a shot offline and see how it goes. I have the most powerful SnS I have access to at this point so if I can take him offline I'll probably wait for better gear there before taking him online.

kinggroin

Banned
Eyemus Lutt said:
so how can you trade items with other players?

In a quest, simply open up your inventory and use the "give" option for items under a certain Rare level.

Not sure how to go about trading items in the hub though.

JudgeN

Why and the fuck is there a mini game where a dragon just claws you with his feet/bites you and you can't do dick shit about it? In rage mode it can take 75% of your HP if you have a full bar (160 HP or something like that). Seriously shit like that wasn't needed in MH, the monsters are already cheap enough, fuck you capcom.

JudgeN said:
Why and the fuck is there a mini game where a dragon just claws you with his feet/bites you and you can't do dick shit about it? In rage mode it can take 75% of your HP if you have a full bar (160 HP or something like that). Seriously shit like that wasn't needed in MH, the monsters are already cheap enough, fuck you capcom.

It's a dragon dude.

ProTip - Stay AWAY during rage.

Tenbatsu

bigdaddygamebot said:
Also...can anyone comment on the dual royal ludroth event quest?

Are there any strange/rare loots to get from it, or charms like the 4 Great Jaggi quest
Jumbo Pearl and Jaggi Mask.

topramen said:
I forged and upgraded to a Rugged Great Sword, is there anyway I can get fire to attach to that?

Also, how do talismans work?

oh oh and what exactly does a felyne bomb do? I hit ludroth with one in area 2 of flooded forest and the cats seemed to be attacking him, does this do any appreciable amount of damage
Rugged Great Sword - No you cant. Its awakening element is sleep.
Talismans - Just equip them and mix and match around with your armor combination to activate the various skills.
Felyne Bomb - You can bomb the cats to make them dizzy or bomb yourself to prevent them from attacking you.

sillymonkey321 said:
Just tried out a great sword ( the jawblade one)...i don't think great swords are for me. Are they supposed to be really great at cutting off tails?
With the correct armor skills + charge attack, you can cut off some monster's tail in just one chop.

JudgeN said:
Throw a dung bomb and it will back off. Btw, all monsters in MH3 are so well tune that non of them are hardly 'cheap' at all.

JudgeN

Tenbatsu said:
J

Throw a dung bomb and it will back off. Btw, all monsters in MH3 are so well tune that non of them are hardly 'cheap' at all.

You can throw a dung bomb while your already getting mauled?

You probably say this about all the monster hunters :lol

bigdaddygamebot said:
It's a dragon dude.

ProTip - Stay AWAY during rage.

When you gotta fight something numerous times, you can't really stay away during rage mode, just takes too much time. When monsters are near death they tend to have a permanent rage mode as well. I was ok with 99% of the new moves but I just find this one ridiculous unless there is a counter.

Tenbatsu

JudgeN said:
You can throw a dung bomb while your already getting mauled?
You probably say this about all the monster hunters :lol
Yeah you can or you can also mash the buttons to free yourself. If you are playing with friends, they can help too.

I find that the monsters in MH3 are more 'fair' as compared to before like maybe 'Tigrex' in MHFU. Capcom really did a great job this time round. During my 700hrs of play for the japanese version, I only encountered like maybe 2 - 3 times of cheap movements. Hence I don't blame the game if I KO, but rather my lack of skills and understanding.

DarknessTear said:
Why is it so ridiculously hard to find people to play with? Meh.

Recruiting/Wisdom 1/Gate 40. Its where the pros go.

We wreck shit on the regular

mega shout outs to last nights crew. Valera(someday they will approve you for a gaf account!) Pancho, harlow, Ace, Trixie and so many more. That Barioth fight we did right before the end was the stuff of legends. I look forward to more hunts.

selig

Banned
Wow, beat my first Gigginox. Wtf, that one was harder to beat than the first Lagiacrus-quest offline. Took me forever. Really hate this guy. :/

And poison sucks

Meesh

Just picked up MH with the classic pro Friday...and it's good, real good. Initially, I thought I'd have a little problem with the camera but that's not the case, by Crom. (Yeah, it's not Conan, but whatever.) The town is a little barren...not a lot of npc's runing about, I'm kinda hoping that some will move in to the base camp? No? Everything looks good to me and the pro controller feels right, it's a worthy purchase. It's pretty much action rpg heaven :)

Anybody know what those "cats" in the cave are for? They dance like mad when you bring out the torch.

Hiltz

Evilink said:
Just picked up MH with the classic pro Friday...and it's good, real good. Initially, I thought I'd have a little problem with the camera but that's not the case, by Crom. (Yeah, it's not Conan, but whatever.) The town is a little barren...not a lot of npc's runing about, I'm kinda hoping that some will move in to the base camp? No? Everything looks good to me and the pro controller feels right, it's a worthy purchase. It's pretty much action rpg heaven :)

Anybody know what those "cats" in the cave are for? They dance like mad when you bring out the torch.

First of all, congrats on your purchase. You've just bought one of the best Wii titles. The game will get much better later on as the first couple of hour in the begining is basically just the tutorial mode to help ease you into learning the basic tasks of gathering items and slaying monsters and stuff.
The town will grow a little bit over time as you complete quests. Just don't expect too much from it. It's actually kind of a good thing so you can find everything you need in the town close by. I mean,you'll basically be using all of the npc shops so none of them are really useless except for perhaps the weapon sales woman who doesn't seem to offer much in terms of new stuff based on what I've seen.

If you want to see a big town, then head for city in the online much. It's much bigger than the town in the single player mode. There's also new NPC characters in it as well.

That cave place in moga woods is just a secret area.There's really nothing special about it.

I can't find 4 crystal bones to save my life. I can only find 2. WTF.

Edit: Finally find the rest after being on my last pickaxe... Some of this stuff is frustrating.

Boney

Banned
kafka rock opera said:

mega shout outs to last nights crew. Valera(someday they will approve you for a gaf account!) Pancho, harlow, Ace, Trixie and so many more. That Barioth fight we did right before the end was the stuff of legends. I look forward to more hunts.
Those were some amazing hunts dude.

mclem

I have to say, whenever I wander over to the EU Wisdom1/Gate40, I tend to either find no players, busy players, or players of much higher HR than me who I feel I shouldn't impose myself on. I need to hurry up and catch up a bit!

Having said that, I've only had one bad experience thus far when grouping with randoms; the community as a whole seems pretty good.

Reknoc

mclem said:
I have to say, whenever I wander over to the EU Wisdom1/Gate40, I tend to either find no players, busy players, or players of much higher HR than me who I feel I shouldn't impose myself on. I need to hurry up and catch up a bit!

Having said that, I've only had one bad experience thus far when grouping with randoms; the community as a whole seems pretty good.

Yea I had a look today and saw some on there but they were all like HR25 and stuff, and I'm still HR4.

forrest

formerly nacire
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I'm having an issue and have a question for the folks using homebrew. I have been playing offline on the Dolphin emulator and I'm ready to play online. The wii will not let me transfer my save file from the SD card to the wii. Someone mentioned using homebrew to do it and I recall some people in this thread using it. Any insight on the matter would be awesome and I'd love to continue in a pm or such. Thanks in advance!

*I've logged 50 hours and while it would hurt to restart I could if I had to. However, I'd love to continue my offline game on Dolphin and my online game on my wii and be able to just pass the save file back and forth.

Oh and thanks for the damage chart for the monsters, that's pretty damn helpful!

d0c_zaius

kafka rock opera said:

<trixie

yup good stuff!

Kinda crazy how the game can go from OMGWTF to HELL YA depending on group synergy.

We still need to take revenge on that Diablos, when we are ready :lol

edit: im getting ready to set a soft ban on that event jaggi helm

d0c_zaius said:
<trixie

yup good stuff!

Kinda crazy how the game can go from OMGWTF to HELL YA depending on group synergy.

We still need to take revenge on that Diablos, when we are ready :lol

edit: im getting ready to set a soft ban on that event jaggi helm

Very true. He was absolutely MASSIVE. But i think we did really well considering almost all of those 3star fights i had never seen before.

Most definitely gonna get down on some 3star quests later on today. But for now More ore farming!

koji

Picked it up yesterday, loving it so far.

Any advise for a Monster Hunter noob? Been doing the single player, still working to get my camp going. Read the OP, some nice info in there thx for that!

Now I`m wondering if I should carry on playing single player till I`m a bit more accustomed to the game and the mechanics etc or just dive in multiplayer? Is SP a waste of time?

Anyways, I`ll put my info in the `online section` will be playing tomorrow.

dsister44

koji said:
Picked it up yesterday, loving it so far.

Any advise for a Monster Hunter noob? Been doing the single player, still working to get my camp going. Read the OP, some nice info in there thx for that!

Now I`m wondering if I should carry on playing single player till I`m a bit more accustomed to the game and the mechanics etc or just dive in multiplayer? Is SP a waste of time?

Anyways, I`ll put my info in the `online section` will be playing tomorrow.

Personally I would wait until you can beta the royal ludroth before going online. It might take some but then at leats your experienced enough to face the first ste of online quests. I regretted jumping online after only beating the great jaggi since it meant my crapness annoyed my team mates

koji

dsister44 said:
Personally I would wait until you can beta the royal ludroth before going online. It might take some but then at leats your experienced enough to face the first ste of online quests. I regretted jumping online after only beating the great jaggi since it meant my crapness annoyed my team mates

Aight will do, thx!

Got the whole day tomorrow to work on my skills and figure all this stuff out!

Nimyh

Banned
The first online gathering quest (red coral stones) is quite doable for a beginner though (I did it before capturing the great jaggi) and can give one a taste of how tougher the online monsters are.

Great hunts today. A metric crap-ton of lagis, a couple of rathalos, a giggi, a bunch of rathians. Picked up the jaggi mask... cant say i felt especially lucky wearing it or anything, didnt seem to get particularly good drops (maybe i read the description wrong and its doing something else entirely!!). Anyways, big props to hunter, faust, kim, feto and the others.

Edit: Man, the difference that a day (and the right tools) makes... yesterday, in 50 minutes of hitting it on the head, i wasnt able to get lagi to limp (flooded forest quest). Today, i fucked his shit up so quick (15 minutes), i didnt notice he was limping (and failed to capture it!).

Neo C.

dsister44 said:
I jumped in before beating the great jaggi. :p

Though you guys are cool, and if necessary I just beat some easy quests with newbies and don't play with the more experienced hunters.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I think I asked this before, but really struggling to decide..what would people recommend for the next full set of armor after Jaggi? Should I get Quru or Ludroth, or wait a bit and just upgrade Jaggi for now?

Poyunch

schuelma said:
So I think I asked this before, but really struggling to decide..what would people recommend for the next full set of armor after Jaggi? Should I get Quru or Ludroth, or wait a bit and just upgrade Jaggi for now?
I"m extremely partial to the Ludroth armor. But I don't know if it's actually useful compared to other armors around that time. The Rhenoplos armor's great as well.

Hiltz said:
First of all, congrats on your purchase. You've just bought one of the best Wii titles. The game will get much better later on as the first couple of hour in the begining is basically just the tutorial mode to help ease you into learning the basic tasks of gathering items and slaying monsters and stuff.
The town will grow a little bit over time as you complete quests. Just don't expect too much from it. It's actually kind of a good thing so you can find everything you need in the town close by. I mean,you'll basically be using all of the npc shops so none of them are really useless except for perhaps the weapon sales woman who doesn't seem to offer much in terms of new stuff based on what I've seen.

If you want to see a big town, then head for city in the online much. It's much bigger than the town in the single player mode. There's also new NPC characters in it as well.

That cave place in moga woods is just a secret area.There's really nothing special about it.
I thought the cave place is where you pick up the stuff stolen from you where you're in the Moga Woods.

Tenbatsu said:
Yeah, your best bet is to pray that you can get a charm to counter it, it is not possible to counter it thru decorations alone. You can also mix and match but I suppose you fancy the 'Ultraman Father' design?
Agian, thank you for your help

I actually don't like how it looks at all, one of those armors I'm just biting the bullet aesthetically.

The thing I don't understand about that charm chart is when these charms become available. I've never found a "Timeworm" class charm and I'm going to guess that I can't until high rank, which brings back my fear of this Ceadeus set getting outclassed def wise. It seems rather silly to me trying to mess around with a standard Ceadeus set when at that point in the game even the high rank leather armor has more def.

Owzers

schuelma said:

I'm a barroth fan.

Edit: And i am way too unskilled/unprepared to fight a barrioth online. It was me and two other guys and i died twice then one of them died later on, but i did the least amount of damage and fled like a scared monkey most of the time trying to plan my strikes. I had my gobul sword/shield and then a combination of barroth armor and peco/jaggi armor.

I just unlocked the *** online quests and....yeah, lots of monster I have never even seen before. I was too scared and went for more Lagi runs instead. :lol

Top Bottom