• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Ok so you want to have your weapon out and then hit X and then hit R like its your next attack button after the X animation finishes. Should work fine.

upandaway

God damn. Is there a guide for those kinda things? It will suck if I spend like 20 hours (yeah yeah not a lot of time blah blah) before realizing I can fucking switch modes in the middle of a combo!

Sykotik said:
As far as I know it only works on certain attacks. For me, it works on the second hit of the un-sheath attack, and the first hit of the hold-forward-X attack.

Yep, i only got it to work under a specific combo. AT least it feels that way.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
just finished playing the demo, and i must say, im impressed. the controls with the wiimote+nunchuk felt really good. although i am a bit saddened that dual swords and the hunting horn have been removed, as those were my favorite weapon classes in freedom 2, but i guess i can step up to sns, or the switch axe when the time comes.

Sykotik

upandaway said:
God damn. Is there a guide for those kinda things? It will suck if I spend like 20 hours (yeah yeah not a lot of time blah blah) before realizing I can fucking switch modes in the middle of a combo!

Game Menu -> Hunter's Notes -> Hunter Info -> Basics and Controls -> Weapon Guide

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How does one get the demo?

Man, I'm bummed about my Wii. My parents have one I can steal but I'd have to be reaaaallly into this to do so just for one game.

Brannon

Best Buy comes through.

Then I get home and realize that I had MH3 in my Gamefly queue.

No. No way. I must attend my game queue!

Maybe I'm not too la...

--*Monster Hunter Tri At Home*--

Aw man. The one time I didn't want Gamefly to send a new game immediately. Ah well. Time to get ready to slay dragons with toothpicks. And it will be glorious.

upandaway said:
If you press the + button on the CC in sword mode something awesome will happen :)

Sykotik

If you press the + button on the CC in sword mode and mash the X button, something even more awesome will happen! =P

Kunan

Teknoman said:
If they're fans of fighting games, that CCpro will go great with Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I know thats how i'm making my TvC online comeback :lol
I know the original CC made me a god at Brawl, can only imagine how awesome this will go!

jrricky

Banned
How can a big game like this not have an official strategy, WTF Capcom, I am really pissed especially for a newb like me that wants to learn and do everything right. >:-(

Poyunch

jrricky said:
How can a big game like this not have an official strategy, WTF Capcom, I am really pissed especially for a newb like me that wants to learn and do everything right. >:-(
I guess it makes the game more community oriented. With the veteran players teaching the freshmen. :lol

Alex

It's for the best unless you just want to collect. Provided it carries over, the community will put out a lot of great guides and faqs and maps (don't attempt to communicate with them!).

The original MH had a strategy guide, it was awful and full of incorrect information and missing loads of shit. The maps were helpful at the time, but that was about it.

Tenbatsu

DeaconKnowledge said:
Explain this in more detail please.

I was complaining to my wife that I wanted another game like Rune Factory Frontier for the Wii. How deep are these farming mechanics? Do you just buy from some dude?

I'm gonna buy Monster Hunter anyway but if it scratches my Rune Factory itch even a little i'll be happy.
Pretty basic actually, all you have to do is to pass the farmer the right fertilizer for the stuff that you wanna grow. Go for a mission to let the day pass and you will have the stuff you requested when you are back.

fernoca said:
??
It had the bars too..at least the videos and pictures I've seen did.
Most Capcom games on Wii have them..anyway.
No black bars at the side in the japanese version.

seipherzero said:
I've played 200+ hours of MHP2G/MHFU primarily as a HBG user and Hammer user. Since the gunning system has been totally revamped, is it still safe to start off as a Gunner? I saw your recommendation Tenbatsu, but I wasn't sure if it applied to semi-experienced hunters too.

And can that new ammo (slicing shot) cut tails too?!
Since you have experience, I think you shouldn't have any problem at all starting as a gunner. Maybe you will spend more time calculating as guns have their stats now too. Yes they are able to cut tail but I don't find them too effective actually :/

jrricky

Banned
Well, I just got home with my copy. Now Im ready to pop it into my system (after my stupid brother stops playing MW2 on the living room TV that is) in a few minutes. :D

jrricky

Banned
OK, I am gonna start in just under like 5 minutes, but one question, does the game go through a tutorial of how to do things (controls, fighting, making weapons etc.)?

botticus

My uber cheap bundle has shipped via UPS from GameStop. I guess that should put it at my door by Friday. Watching that launch trailer gives me the feeling I'm going to get absolutely demolished the first (dozen) times I take on each monster.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Holy shit that trailer pumped me up. I want this game so bad but I can't buy any games until May :(

So...I loved Shadow of the Colossus, is this kind of like that? But with way more RPG elements, multiplayer, and stuff?

Teknoman

Dogenzaka said:
Holy shit that trailer pumped me up. I want this game so bad but I can't buy any games until May :(

So...I loved Shadow of the Colossus, is this kind of like that? But with way more RPG elements, multiplayer, and stuff?

I'd say so, minus horses and plus alot more action/reflexes.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jrricky said:
OK, I am gonna start in just under like 5 minutes, but one question, does the game go through a tutorial of how to do things (controls, fighting, making weapons etc.)?

Yes.

fernoca

Tenbatsu said:
No black bars at the side in the japanese version.
But why there are black bars on the videos and pictures I've seen..even the ones I linked/pictured from the japanese version?

Then again, I also said that it depends on the set..if I use the zoom option on mine, there are no black bars, but image is cropped.

Really weird...

fernoca said:
The bars are not that big ..sometimes even depends on the set you're playing..
You can even see in direct feed videos of the japanese version, (like this one) that the game is not fully widescreen.

Or here:

23jl9hl.jpg

The small gap/bars in the japanese version too...

I don 't mind, but some people do..

Yeah, just got the call too.
The call is basically to tell you that you can pick it after 12pm..at any moment,, more like to make sure. You could try earlier, but the 12PM time is basically to make sure the game will be there already. Many stores already received the shipment last week, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Teknoman said:
I'd say so, minus horses and plus alot more action/reflexes.

Are there more weapons than swords? Are there like bows or projectile weapons or anything?

If not it's okay, but man this looks INCREDIBLY addicting.

Do want so badly :(

You can work to take down monsters with strangers online, right? Or do you need friend codes for everything :(

Teknoman

Dogenzaka said:
Are there more weapons than swords? Are there like bows or projectile weapons or anything?

If not it's okay, but man this looks INCREDIBLY addicting.

Do want so badly :(

You can work to take down monsters with strangers online, right? Or do you need friend codes for everything :(

Check the opening post for the full rundown, details on everything.

Alright I decided I'm going to get this, are there gonna be any GAF groups or wii friend code sharing going on? I'm not totally sure if I want to get wii speak or a keyboard yet so might not be able to talk for a while.

Teknoman

Mr_Guillotine said:
Alright I decided I'm going to get this, are there gonna be any GAF groups or wii friend code sharing going on? I'm not totally sure if I want to get wii speak or a keyboard yet so might not be able to talk for a while.

Dogenzaka said:
Online play is still for FC-only people, right? :l

C'mon people, read the ridiculously awesome opening posts.

Zero friend codes here.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Teknoman said:
C'mon people, read the ridiculously awesome opening posts.

Zero friend codes here.

I skimmed through it but the only hint I got was at the bottom where it said 100-person-text-chat-lobbies...xD

No FC = confirmed buy from me. I gotta support this kind of multiplayer on the Wii. It's how it should have been since 2007.

Luigiv

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
It's a big deal for me. I can't stand it when games don't fill the screen. I own a plasma and if I play like that for too long I'm afraid it will burn those bars into the screen. I can circumvent it by switching the aspect ratio of my TV every so often, but that's annoying.

It's disappointing but isn't going to prevent me from enjoying such an amazing game.
I'm sorry but this has to be done.

2vae5fr.png

Teknoman

Dogenzaka said:
I skimmed through it but the only hint I got was at the bottom where it said 100-person-text-chat-lobbies...xD

No FC = confirmed buy from me. I gotta support this kind of multiplayer on the Wii. It's how it should have been since 2007.

Yup, spot on.

Luigiv

Dogenzaka said:

It literally is actually, since you're given a "Hunter ID" instead which is a similar premise to FCs but so much better implemented.

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Are character names unique? Or can multiple people have the same name?

Tying in to what I said above, multiple characters can have the same name, since the name isn't tied to the account (In fact your characters name is initially entered offline). Instead you have are given a randomised 6 character (that's a combination of numbers and letters) Hunter ID, which is not only easier to remember then FCs but also doesn't have any of Nintendo's odd limitations.

GhostSeed

Anecdotal sales evidence ahoy! Two of the independent distributers I talked to earlier today had both sold out of their initial shipment of this game which almost never happens with 3rd party Wii titles. But I'm guessing they both under ordered as opposed to Capcom under shipping. :p

I'm kind of interested in this but I don't think I have the time to sink into it. Or the patience to learn and master it like I'd like to. I've never played a Monster Hunter before.

forrest

formerly nacire
I made a pic for the GAF Hunter's Group. I sure others could do better, but if you guys wanna use it for now that would be cool.

mh_gafyut6.jpg

jrricky

Banned
sprsk said:
Yea, I noticed when I started. I'm really getting into this, with the item collecting and all. Sword and sheild are great, I think I am going to stick to these as main weapons...

Question, cooking raw meat seems to be a little challenging, it's either rare or burnt when I'm done. :lol How do I time my cooking?

jrricky said:
Yea, I noticed when I started. I'm really getting into this, with the item collecting and all. Sword and sheild are great, I think I am going to stick to these as main weapons...

Question, cooking raw meat seems to be a little challenging, it's either rare or burnt when I'm done. :lol How do I time my cooking?

Listen to the tune that plays while you cook. The best time is usually half a second after it ends. There were armor skills in the previous games that increased that window making it easier to get gourmet steaks which further increased stamina.

Dineren

Banned
Can't wait to get my Greatsword back out. The farthest I got in MHFU was defeating Khezu, but I had a blast the whole time. I wish I could take off work tomorrow, it's going to be a long day.

Dineren said:
Can't wait to get my Greatsword back out. The farthest I got in MHFU was defeating Khezu, but I had a blast the whole time. I wish I could take off work tomorrow, it's going to be a long day.

I love GS too, but unlike you i do plan to skip my responsibilities tomorrow.

DAMMIT I DESERVE IT.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah I never really used anything other than a great sword until the last psp outing. I tried the hammer, long sword and bow, but still preferred the great sword. I'm a little sad to see the bows gone as I really wanted to learn to use them. The bowgun just doesn't appeal to me as the bow did.

I've never played online, but in single player the farthest I got was killing Tigrex on a regular basis. I'm not sure what game stole my attention away, but I really wanna kill all there is to kill this time around. I also want to really do all out co-op with a group. I hear that's the only way to play, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance.

ivysaur12

Banned
Damn finals. I want this game so badly but won't get it till finals are done in like a month.

Gaaah, it looks so sick. I hope it doesn't completely bomb.

Top Bottom