• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

Amneisac said:
Am I the only one who is dreading the whole "Wii Speak" experience? Maybe it's just my own mind, but I am imagining babies crying, wives yelling at husbands, people sneezing and coughing, dogs barking, game / music being transmitted through the mic.

I have a friend who's getting this and we're just going to leave our 360's on and use party chat while we play, but I'll use a keyboard to type in-game. Is Wii Speak as bad as I'm expecting it to be? I also don't really want to spend $20 on a peripheral that I know I'll never use again.

Edited to Add: Is the running animation with the weapon sheathed supposed to be so hilarious? It's like the three stooges or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haSGAf7lvR0 ?

Amneisac said:
Am I the only one who is dreading the whole "Wii Speak" experience? Maybe it's just my own mind, but I am imagining babies crying, wives yelling at husbands, people sneezing and coughing, dogs barking, game / music being transmitted through the mic.

I have a friend who's getting this and we're just going to leave our 360's on and use party chat while we play, but I'll use a keyboard to type in-game. Is Wii Speak as bad as I'm expecting it to be? I also don't really want to spend $20 on a peripheral that I know I'll never use again.

Edited to Add: Is the running animation with the weapon sheathed supposed to be so hilarious? It's like the three stooges or something.

You need to add people as friends before you can talk to them with Wii Speak.

And that is why I'm fully content with just an USB keyboard.

Gwanatu T

Hawkian said:
I can't believe Dual Swords was a class they took out. Who would want to remove that?

You know I didn't even notice until you said it. What a weird design decision!

I can't wait to get the game though. I'll be leaving in about 30 minutes to go pick it up. SUPER PUMPED!! My favorite series of all time finally returns with online.

Luigiv

Hawkian said:
I can't believe Dual Swords was a class they took out. Who would want to remove that?
I personally never really liked Dual Swords to be honest. I'm more down over bows being removed.

Amneisac

So what's the actual deal with the bows/guns? I mean, do you actually use that as your primary weapon? Are they terrible? The only reason I'm asking is I have a friend who loves ranged classes and I think he'd be more inclined to pick this up if the bows/guns stuff was fun / effective at all.

Gwanatu T

Luigiv said:
I personally never really liked Dual Swords to be honest. I'm more down over bows being removed.

No way, bows are the support class. It makes it so much easier to take down the big'uns with one bower on the team.

Amneisac said:
So what's the actual deal with the bows/guns? I mean, do you actually use that as your primary weapon? Are they terrible? The only reason I'm asking is I have a friend who loves ranged classes and I think he'd be more inclined to pick this up if the bows/guns stuff was fun / effective at all.

They are your primary weapon. You look through the scope when aiming, and they are generally good as a support class. I wouldn't advise trying to play with a bow in single player, but I've known people that can use a bow just as well as others use a sword.

Luigiv

Gwanatu T said:
No way, bows are the support class. It makes it so much easier to take down the big'uns with one bower on the team.

They are your primary weapon. You look through the scope when aiming, and they are generally good as a support class. I wouldn't advise trying to play with a bow in single player, but I've known people that can use a bow just as well as others use a sword.
I dunno, I've been taking a liking to bows recently (in MHFU). Sure they may do absolutely rubbish damage over time, but they make some monsters laughably easy to take down.
I'm looking at you Khezu.

Bowguns never quite clicked with me in the same way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amneisac said:

I am going full light/medium bowgun from as soon as I have the option, so I'll be sure to let you know how much fun versus fail is involved :p

Teknoman

GasProblem said:

Really? I thought it was open communication once you got into an actual hunt? Guess it'll be USB typing for randoms and wiispeak for most GAF hunts in that case. Not really going to want to stop and type while a wyvern is breathing down your neck.

EDIT: And back to using Wiispeak for the most part :lol

Luigiv

Teknoman said:
Really? I thought it was open communication once you got into an actual hunt? Guess it'll be USB typing for randoms and wiispeak for most GAF hunts in that case. Not really going to want to stop and type while a wyvern is breathing down your neck.
I have a feeling GasProblem is basing that off WFC games. I don't believe that is the case with MH3 since it doesn't use WFC (we'll find out for sure soon enough anyway).

I played a bit online last night and it was very confusing at first. I'm still not sure how to use Wii Speak since I never heard anyone and I don't think anyone heard me. This yellow megaphone kept popping up on the screen though.
Luigiv said:
I'm sorry but this has to be done.
I'm confused and somewhat TV illiterate. Should I not be concerned about this?

When I play through other Wii games that do not fill the screen it leaves some serious image retention where the black bars were. I've read that if you have constant image retention in the same exact spot it can become permanently burnt in, isn't that true?

ShinNL

GasProblem said:

I believe this is completely false, fellow Dutchman. Don't spread info if you're not sure about it.

Bowguns are not support weapons. They're just like any other weapon. And as with every weapon: effective if used correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anyone in this thread play their Wii hooked up to a PC monitor? Could you point me in the best direction for doing so?

The options via Google seem fairly costly :(

Luigiv

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I played a bit online last night and it was very confusing at first. I'm still not sure how to use Wii Speak since I never heard anyone and I don't think anyone heard me. This yellow megaphone kept popping up on the screen though.
I'm confused and somewhat TV illiterate. Should I not be concerned about this?

When I play through other Wii games that do not fill the screen it leaves some serious image retention where the black bars were. I've read that if you have constant image retention in the same exact spot it can become permanently burnt in, isn't that true?
You get image retention on black bars on your plasma? That's actually strikes me as quite odd since black pixels should be inactive and therefore not have any effect. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on that Jesus facepalm, since I'm not really an expert either.

Well if that's actually a problem for you, have you tried fiddling with the over scan options? Most TVs should let you zoom in on the image a little, which will shove the black bars off-screen.

Luigiv said:
You get image retention on black bars on your plasma? That's actually strikes me as quite odd since black pixels should be inactive and therefore not have any effect. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on that Jesus facepalm, since I'm not really an expert either.

Well if that's actually a problem for you, have you tried fiddling with the over scan options? Most TVs should let you zoom in on the image a little, which will shove the black bars off-screen.
Well the bars themselves aren't leaving retention, it's the edge of the bar since you have a fine line of pixels that are constantly lit and pixels that aren't ever lit. I read of families that watch a ton of standard 4:3 TV on their plasmas and after a while the lit pixels in the center get more "worn" and are noticeably darker than the edges.

My TV doesn't have many zoom options, only 2 that stretch it vertically. I can solve the problem by switching the aspect ratio to 4:3 every once and a while. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if it filled the whole screen and I didn't have to worry at all.

oracrest

Amneisac said:

one huge caveat is that gunner armors are usually MUCH weaker than melee armors, so you will have to deal with that throughout the game, where it is already quite easy to die in 2 or 3 consecutive hits wearing melee armor.

Not all parts of the game have a safe cliff to stand on, and many times you will be right in the thick of it with a wyvern, trying to shoot him over and over.

Van Owen

Banned
Amazon needs to hurry up and credit me my $10 credit so I can order Avatar on blu-ray for $10.

EDIT: er nm it's only for games purchases. :-/

Luigiv

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Well the bars themselves aren't leaving retention, it's the edge of the bar since you have a fine line of pixels that are constantly lit and pixels that aren't ever lit. I read of families that watch a ton of standard 4:3 TV on their plasmas and after a while the lit pixels in the center get more "worn" and are noticeably darker than the edges.

My TV doesn't have many zoom options, only 2 that stretch it vertically. I can solve the problem by switching the aspect ratio to 4:3 every once and a while. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if it filled the whole screen and I didn't have to worry at all.
Fair enough. My apologies on the Facepalm then.

Incidentally that would also explain why my Plasma's built in letter-boxing function is a moderate grey.

jibblypop

Banned
So I've decided to pick this up and give it a shot. However, I won't be able to play online that much.

Anyone have any tips for someone that will almost entirely be playing 1 player? Also, I've never played a Monster Hunter game before. Most of all, I'm wondering the easiest weapon or class or whatever you choose at the start of the game.

gotee12

Just picked up my bundle from Gamestop. This is kinda obvious since they stopped the preorders of the bundles but they only had bundles for those who had specifically preordered them, none for the store shelves. I'm still interested in finding out if it was just a shortage or if it was actually that great a demand for the bundles...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has anyone seen just the classic controller pro for sale anywhere today? I really want one as it turns out.

Hawkian said:
Has anyone seen just the classic controller pro for sale anywhere today? I really want one as it turns out.
Yeah man, it's only 54.99 and they throw in a copy of some game called Monster Hunter Tri! Who wants to play that though.. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
-_-

The bundles aren't actually in stores anywhere unless you pre-ordered, from what I've heard.

I'm just wondering if I can walk into someplace today and buy the controller.

demigod

Hawkian said:
-_-

The bundles aren't actually in stores anywhere unless you pre-ordered, from what I've heard.

I'm just wondering if I can walk into someplace today and buy the controller.

Bout to go get my bundle at Fry's.

windfish

jibblypop said:
So I've decided to pick this up and give it a shot. However, I won't be able to play online that much.

Anyone have any tips for someone that will almost entirely be playing 1 player? Also, I've never played a Monster Hunter game before. Most of all, I'm wondering the easiest weapon or class or whatever you choose at the start of the game.

easiest would probably be sword and shield! it can block, its pretty fast, you can run with it and can be upgraded damn quick to be a good threat to any kind of monster early on!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, so I'm bound to receive the game in my mail any time between today and May 10th.

FML.

PusherT

I'm about to head out and get my game, any Hammer fans here:D Bowgun and Hammers the way to go I can't wait to crush some fucking monster head in.:D :D

Dammit, I can't decide what to spend my $10 promo credit at Amazon on... I'm trying to decide between the Nyko Wireless Keyboard or a CCPro. Does the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo work well, or is it clear that a CCPro is the best route? Since I have no Wii Speak right now, I'd think the keyboard is a better investment since without it I'd be nearly useless in online play, but if the game is really designed for the CCPro, then maybe I can just get that and play offline for a while and later on pick up a keyboard.

Decisions, decisions...

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Repost from my post in the April pick-up thread. Also, how does one go about joining this hunting group on Steam?

EDIT: NVM. Found it. Whenever Valve gets around to releasing Steam for my OS X side (have W7 w/ Steam), I'll be seeing you guys soon. :D

taoofjord

I'm really enjoying the game so far (as a beginner) but the text is blurry enough that it's giving me a headache :[ I've never had this problem with a Wii game on my HD LCD TV... I think it's just the font they chose... no one is else having this problem??

thefro

just picked up my bundle during lunch break. Nice that Capcom included a decent-sized manual for this one, even though it is B&W.

Classic Controller Pro feels great in my hands. Afternoon will go by slowly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soka said:
Dammit, I can't decide what to spend my $10 promo credit at Amazon on... I'm trying to decide between the Nyko Wireless Keyboard or a CCPro.

Damn, getting a CCPro with that $10 would have been wise. I just got back from Gamestop with one in hand. Damnit. Oh well, I still got the two cheaper than the bundle and I will have the CCPro to play with immediately (and play around with hooking it up to my PC in the meantime!).

Good news, though, my Gamestop had a nice stack of 5 or 6 MH3s, so they did stock more than just preorders. And they had plenty of a la carte CCPros to go around.

It's a beautiful controller, by the way. I wish it had bluetooth on its own :lol

Hey does anyone know if the EU and USA servers are intergrated, also what server would I be on if not I live In Ireland but have a USA Wii, would I be on the European server or USA server.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Tenbatsu said:
Keep your eyes on the color of the meat. Press the button the moment it changes color.
The meet changes color 2 times before it changes golden brown for well done. The first 2 color changes are small but the first heavy color change is when you remove it from the fire. This usually happens near the end of the song that plays.

Top Bottom