• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Finally beat The Caravaneer's Challenge! Woo! Did I cheese it by using G-Rank equipment and combining more potions mid fight? Absolutely. Gold Rajang has my number in way few monsters do. He wrecks me every time. Do I feel any less accomplished because of how I beat it? Nope!

Armor Pigment is an amazing reward for that thing as well. Really made the fight to get it worth while.

yami4ct

If I do online missions alone, are they harder than in single player or is it the same because I am alone ?

They scale the monster's health to the number of players, but the missions will still be hard to solo in a lot of cases. The top (G-rank) ones will be especially difficult. In Single-Player the monsters you fight are roughly equivalent to their Low and High rank versions. There may be a few select cases that go up to G-level health and damage, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

They scale the monster's health to the number of players, but the missions will still be hard to solo in a lot of cases. The top (G-rank) ones will be especially difficult. In Single-Player the monsters you fight are roughly equivalent to their Low and High rank versions. There may be a few select cases that go up to G-level health and damage, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.
Thanks, can you recommend me a site, where I can see which quests I have to do to rank up quickly ?

Ken

I think gathering hall quests always scale to 4 players?

ilium

If I do online missions alone, are they harder than in single player or is it the same because I am alone ?

Yes they are harder. Monster health doesn't scale according to players tho.

Overall defense is a set percentage that changes depending on the quest. That’s why “powered up” quests have monsters that have not only more HP, but are tougher to break parts as well (if it was just HP then there would be no difference, after all!). For generality sake, assume that:
Village: 100%
Low Rank: 85-95%
High Rank: 75-85%
High guild/event: 70%
Yeah, so if you do the same quest in the online part of the game solo, you are battling a monster that is about 25% higher defense, they do this because you’ll typically be online with other players.

yami4ct

Thanks, can you recommend me a site, where I can see which quests I have to do to rank up quickly ?

For rank ups, the Monster Hunter wiki is the best spot in my experience. as it clearly lists the Key Quests with big colorful markers.

This is the Online page

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Gathering_Hall_Quests

and here's the one for single player

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Caravan_Quests

For lists of monster parts, what quests to go for what carve and everything else of that nature, I go here.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u

Yes they are harder. Monster health doesn't scale according to players tho.

They don't AFAIK. It's the very same quest, offline or online.

Beated like a jaggia. =(

Well, huh. Did not know that. Sorry I was wrong. Was it like this in 3U? I swear there was some minimal monster scaling in the online stuff, but I guess that was misinformation.

ilium

OT2 is upon us. Time to think of terrible puns for the title!

I propose: "I'm really felyne it!"

or something with eyebrows...

redcrayon

OT2 is upon us. Time to think of terrible puns for the title!

I propose: "I'm really felyne it!"

or something with eyebrows...
I'm sure there's loads of cat puns!

How about the other characters?

'getting it done' for the Caravaneer, or 'doodlewhack adventure' for the guild lady (after the book 'Dave Gorman's Googlewhack adventure').

redcrayon

I had a great hunt with seregios this morning on the caravan campaign- watching the cut scene where there's a scrap between seregios and a wounded rathian was really cool. I felt sorry for the rath as I'd beaten it up first, but I love all the simple ecology stuff, watching the monsters fight off jaggis and genprey for food, that kinda thing.

Shengar

I had a great hunt with seregios this morning on the caravan campaign- watching the cut scene where there's a scrap between seregios and a wounded rathian was really cool. I felt sorry for the rath as I'd beaten it up first, but I love all the simple ecology stuff, watching the monsters fight off jaggis and genprey for food, that kinda thing.

Capcom should make a spinoff adaptation, where it is not the hunter that become it focus but rather the monsters ecology.

Offline G Rank Mohran is a fucking joke compared to the Mohran in HR7's "More Mohran" quest.

It's cool that in phase 1, at the point where you'd need to use the dragonator, he covers the button with a big ass rock so I had to really quickly destroy it to use the 'nator, and it's also cool that in Final Showdown, he starts right next to the ship, but it's still just too easy and is nowhere near aggressive enough in phase 1 compared to More Mohran's Mohran.

redcrayon

Capcom should make a spinoff adaptation, where it is not the hunter that become it focus but rather the monsters ecology.
All the research they put into real-world creature behaviour really pays off- the way they hunch up before striking, move so quickly compared to humans, reel back in pain, writhe when caught in a trap or lead with their claws when attacking from the sky. Also, the way creatures like Gore Magala 'stalk' the player by jumping sideways around them reminds me of a cat trapping a mouse. Even the roars are fantastical, the high-pitched ones of the smaller creatures through to the deep bass of Dhen/Jhen Moran.

For a fantastical game, the monsters really feel like 'real creatures', I find that really immersive. So many games could learn a great deal about how to make monsters frightening rather than a large pile of hit points.

OT2 just needs to incorporate this gif somehow

tumblr_njshs6ehzs1tyatebo1_500.gif

after 3 defeats against Shagaru Magala yesterday I would like to try with GAF, because randoms obviously failed me (I should not put the entire blame on them though)

Anyone for HR6 urgent?

room 43 6455 3680 5342
code 0307

Quick question. Are plesioth encounters of Sunsnug Isle random, or are there things you're supposed to do to trigger it? I haven't really seen a Plesioth in weeks, and I check after every 3 hunts.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| Pardon!
Cantina cat am disappoint. You're supposed to say Xie Xie, not Pardon.

tuffy

Quick question. Are plesioth encounters of Sunsnug Isle random, or are there things you're supposed to do to trigger it? I haven't really seen a Plesioth in weeks, and I check after every 3 hunts.
Palicos you bring on fishing duty have different effects that might activate, and one of those ("Moewnster Fisher" I think?) calls in Plesioth.

microfolk

In a whim I decided to make myself a sweet sweet Najarala S set so I've spent a couple hours doing the C8 Najarala's Huntathon...
I CAN'T DROP THE SOUNDERS + FOR THE LIFE OF ME
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong I kill at least three big ass snake a hunt and I take care to break both their tails AND their back (55% and 58% drop chance respectively) then when I finish the hunt I'd like to see at least three of the fuckers but more often than not I don't drop even one???? I've got AT LEAST one wyvern gem a hunt I don't understand if I'm just being plain unlucky or if I'm not understanding how all of this works.
First of all to break the back of a Najarala I have to smack it until it shows some dents or I could mount the monster twice right? And the tail can be broke just one time or I have to hit it even harder after the first dents emerge? And after breaking a part the drop chance shown on Kiranico refers to the probability to find the item in the reward box at the end of the hunt? Maybe the huntathons work in a different way for these items???
Am I being plagued by the fearful and almighty desire sensor???? Halp

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You survived G Rank Kirin with complete clown set, you'll be fine.
I think Kirin is super simple as a gunner though since he relies so much on running around with his small hitboxes.

Palicos you bring on fishing duty have different effects that might activate, and one of those ("Moewnster Fisher" I think?) calls in Plesioth.
I don't think so; you'll know when you get a Plesioth when you see it swimming in the background before you initiate the game. I always find it as the first of 3 catches; but never spawns every 3 hunts; I've never timed it, but it you do need to waste net recharging I think.

Ken

I think Plesioth and later Green Plesioth is always guaranteed on the first cast. It's probably why using bait is always greyed out initially, even before you pick your Palicos.

Hunted a Tetsucabra and broke one side of its jaw, but didn't get the subquest for Wound The Tetsucabra's Jaw. Is that a glitch?

Can you buy Mega Potions at some point?

jaosobno

Do skill points in this game even matter until you have max value? For example, is there any point in having less than 10 points in Sharpener skill since only full 10 points give you much faster sharpening speed.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Do skill points in this game even matter until you have max value? For example, is there any point in having less than 10 points in Sharpener skill since only full 10 points give you much faster sharpening speed.
Nope, it means nothing until you hit the threshold.

Faiz

Max value isn't the right idea, but no, anything that doesn't get you to one of the activation thresholds doesn't count. Many skills have multiple levels that will activate every 5 skill points. For example, Gathering, 10 points is Gathering +1, 15 points is Gathering +2, 20 points is Gathering God. Similarly, -10 points curses you with Gathering -1.

The first MH game I played, I hated this system. It made no sense to me. It can be confusing at first just because it's different than most other games but it's a system that brings with it a lot of depth and flexibility.

jaosobno

Nope, it means nothing until you hit the threshold.

Max value isn't the right idea, but no, anything that doesn't get you to one of the activation thresholds doesn't count. Many skills have multiple levels that will activate every 5 skill points. For example, Gathering, 10 points is Gathering +1, 15 points is Gathering +2, 20 points is Gathering God. Similarly, -10 points curses you with Gathering -1.

The first MH game I played, I hated this system. It made no sense to me. It can be confusing at first just because it's different than most other games but it's a system that brings with it a lot of depth and flexibility.

Thx!

Mupod

I knew I was gonna get cockblocked on something when it came time to make my Kushala HBG but I thought it would be elder dragon jewels, not hardhorns. I carved the elder dragon gem on my first try but I'm 0/3 for horns after 3 kills breaking the head each time. 60% my ass. At least he's easy with evade+3.

For clarification, how do elder dragon (chameleos, teo, kushala) horns work? I know they can only be broken below 30% hp, but when does damage toward them start 'counting'? Like should I be shooting him in the face from the start, or focus on breaking it towards the end of the fight? His head isn't any more vulnerable than his tail and that's a lot safer to hang out by. Plus it's fun to shoot dragons in the nuts.

I think I should just focus on pushing through to the special G permit - if I want Dead Eye/Trajectory then I need to fight Gog. I also really need the molten tigrex gun and the zenith gems from apex monsters to hone my weapons.

Also I don't want to watch a video of Gogmazios before I do the fight. But it can't hurt to prepare on a basic level - do I want to bring a pierce gun or a normal gun to him?

tuffy

Also I don't want to watch a video of Gogmazios before I do the fight. But it can't hurt to prepare on a basic level - do I want to bring a pierce gun or a normal gun to him?
I've seen the HBG solo Gogmazios speedrun and can safely say you're going to want pierce.

Mupod

I've seen the HBG solo Gogmazios speedrun and can safely say you're going to want pierce.

Looks like I'll be fighting Kushala a while longer then. Just need to cram pierce up and recoil down onto my armor somehow. I'm thinking purple hermitaur will help there, maybe I can even get Guts.

I forget, if you have Guts and Moxie can you survive two one hit KOs?

tuffy

Looks like I'll be fighting Kushala a while longer then. Just need to cram pierce up and recoil down onto my armor somehow. I'm thinking purple hermitaur will help there, maybe I can even get Guts.

I forget, if you have Guts and Moxie can you survive two one hit KOs?
I'm still in my Purple Hermitaur set I started G rank with. It has a lot of 2 slot pieces, a 3 slot piece and a pretty good set of resistances too, so it's easy to recommend.

Guts and Moxie should stack. But keep in mind your health needs to be above some threshold before Guts will work, so it's more for preventing a OHKO.

Fought Dalamador for the first time last night. I don't know what I expected... but it wasn't that. What a crazy fight. We killed it, but I didn't know what I was doing half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom