• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is up with this Gore Magala expedition in single player? I haven't been having trouble with the game at all, playing solo I've killed most monsters in less than 15 minutes my first time fighting them and I've never used all three carts.

Now I'm on this part where my Ace Palico runs away to fight Gore Magala and I have to save him. This thing just wipes the floor with me, I can only take a handful of hits and I've been wailing away on him with a Great Sword for awhile with seemingly no effect. This wounded guy very slowly lumbers across the field while I'm fighting and clears obstacles, the first time I fought the Magala it carted me and it was gone when I got back. Now it's returned and the wounded guy is supposed to be blowing up a wall that's in the way but it's taking him forever.

Does it just take awhile, or is there a damage threshold I have to hit on the Magala to progress the mission?

I was really loving this game but this monster is extremely frustrating. It sucks too because I have a few weapons that require parts from it and it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to easily beat it anytime soon. Hopefully the game goes back to normal after this mission, if this is some kind of difficulty bump and everything is this hard from here on out I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

Scher

Yay, made some Seltas Faulds. Unfortunately they hit my Stamina Recovery for -2, and none of my other gear makes up for it

Make sure to understand that -2 to stam recovery means nothing unless it hits a threshold for the armor skill. You won't actually take a hit until you reach -10 stam recovery. This also applies to positive armor skills, where something like Attack on armor won't activate until you get +10 Attack on armor.

Yay, made some Seltas Faulds. Unfortunately they hit my Stamina Recovery for -2, and none of my other gear makes up for it

When do I start finding runes or whatever it is that fills the gear slots? Still making my way through the Level 1 HR Quests in the Gathering Hall, haven't started on the Level 2 Caravan Quests

Skill points don't matter unless they reach a certain total (15, -10, etc.) With that kind of armor I don't think you should be doing Gathering Hall quests unless you're with a group; monsters there have way more health than in Caravan quests. What you should do is focus on the single-player for a bit, and get introduced to the various boss monsters that way before jumping into the Gathering hall quests. That way, you'll know how to fight them. :)

Also, you don't unlock decorations (what fills the gear slots) until you complete the level 2 Caravan quests anyway, so you may as well get it done. edit: Actually, it might not be until you get the urgent quest to fight Nerscylla, I can't remember. Either way, you've got a bit of single-player to go through first.

Wanderer5

You should probably just aim for a full single armor set for the time being too rather than mix and match, where while possible to work I sure, you have to really look at how the skills points add up and what can work together.

The -2 are no biggie, cause the skill is not active (would need like -10). I kind of wonder if you are aware that you have no active skills actually? Those numbers with the armor pieces could mean nothing if you have so little of those points for each skills.

Ah, thought Active Skills were like Perks, and the +/- stuff was like passive stats. So you need to reach +10 or -10 in a stat for it to give you an Active Skill related to it? If so, is there one skill per stat, or a variety?

ohlawd

Ah, thought Active Skills were like Perks, and the +/- stuff was like passive stats. So you need to reach +10 or -10 in a stat for it to give you an Active Skill related to it? If so, is there one skill per stat, or a variety?
go to your skills page from the status menu and press Y

you'll see the skills breakdown

Some skills have multiple levels. Like Attack would have increasingly positive skills at:

+10 points
+15
+20
+25

etc
would be the bad versions.

Mupod

lol Gore ran through the trap

didn't give two shits

kinda glad I didn't trust it enough to stand behind it and shoot.

but yeah chaotic magala is fun except for the hitbox on his dive. What the fuck is that shit.

glad I'm finally G3, now I can maybe start working on my pierce hbg set. Really want my molten tigrex gun though.

ohlawd

kinda glad I didn't trust it enough to stand behind it and shoot.

but yeah chaotic magala is fun except for the hitbox on his dive. What the fuck is that shit.

glad I'm finally G3, now I can maybe start working on my pierce hbg set. Really want my molten tigrex gun though.

good hunts, btw. two people up to G3? that's what I call a productive session

Kyzon

Helping a Gaffer break G-Rank Seltas Queen then going to farm Omen from high Dalamadurp right after.

If we're on quest when ya join, hit a harvest tour :)

18-6402-3709-4074

Pass:9999

Lol. You unlock the title word "Disappointment" for finding out the 3rd aged text unlocks
Seregios
. Sure, it's apex, but who the fuck cares.

Shengar

Thanks for the room! Got enough Power++ nectar and my first rare10 relic weapon. :eek:
No problem, I hope that rarity 10 relic weapon useful to you.

1 Shagaru and 3 mantle

Desire sensor is real
And I actually still need a Gore Mantle for my Ig
But at least for that I can try to get Rainbow guild card and trade my cosmic ticket for it.
I can't even get a fucking Phosgem from high rank Shagaru.

I will never have a decent dragon element charge blade until G rank black fatalis, but I don't mind because the Gore/Shagaru charge blade is Impact, and I'd rather have Element, which the Fatalis one is.

You're done playing?

burgerdog

I want to play this so bad :| I need to beat RER2 tonight and hopefully the 15 demo tomorrow. Swamped with games all of a sudden and I stopped playing MM right before the water temple. I swear, if I played any of those games like I do MH during the weekend.. they'd be done in one or two nights lol

Question about the stamina skill marathon runner. The description says:

Slows down Stamina depletion for actions which continuously drain Stamina (such as dashing)

Does that include the dual blades demon mode? Need to know before I pursue that. Thanks!!

What is up with this Gore Magala expedition in single player? I haven't been having trouble with the game at all, playing solo I've killed most monsters in less than 15 minutes my first time fighting them and I've never used all three carts.

Now I'm on this part where my Ace Palico runs away to fight Gore Magala and I have to save him. This thing just wipes the floor with me, I can only take a handful of hits and I've been wailing away on him with a Great Sword for awhile with seemingly no effect. This wounded guy very slowly lumbers across the field while I'm fighting and clears obstacles, the first time I fought the Magala it carted me and it was gone when I got back. Now it's returned and the wounded guy is supposed to be blowing up a wall that's in the way but it's taking him forever.

Does it just take awhile, or is there a damage threshold I have to hit on the Magala to progress the mission?

I was really loving this game but this monster is extremely frustrating. It sucks too because I have a few weapons that require parts from it and it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to easily beat it anytime soon. Hopefully the game goes back to normal after this mission, if this is some kind of difficulty bump and everything is this hard from here on out I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

I've always considered Gore to be the first major wall in this game.

Unfortunately, the only real advice I can give is to hang back and observe until you get a feel for his attack patterns. Gore does an absolute crapton of damage, more than most if not all the monsters you can fight in single player at that point. However, his attacks have fairly long windups and are predictable once you get a hang of them. Just stay back, don't take unnecessary risks and you should be able to whittle him down. Good luck!

In terms of progressing, I've never really tested it out, but from what it felt when I did that mission, it seemed that a damage threshold is what makes the wounded Aces progress.

Edit: This reddit thread has some great advice on hunting Gore.

Question about the stamina skill marathon runner. The description says:

Slows down Stamina depletion for actions which continuously drain Stamina (such as dashing)

Does that include the dual blades demon mode? Need to know before I pursue that. Thanks!!

Some googling around suggests yes, but I don't know first hand. However, I would personally rather just bring dash juices and get more offensively oriented skills instead. Dash Juices are dirt cheap to make and 5 of them should last most hunts.

Interesting. What would you suggest? Currently at caravan 8*, no online.

Staple offensive skills like attack up (XL if you can manage +25 points in attack), sharpness+1, high grade earplugs (so you can keep attacking when things yell at you), etc.

Razor sharp and/or mind;s eye (or steady hand which provides both) would be pretty useful for dual swords, since I imagine you lose sharpness pretty quickly.

Edit: Sheng, sorry I took so long. I'm finally playing again.

Kyzon

Gaf, can you help me farm Dalamadur? I ened some Omen.

39-8530-8059-3366

Pass: 1111

This one I can't do with randoms since it's just people who want to do their urgent and dip.

We gotta fight to it's last 10% of health, then start dodging meteors until one sticks.

Thanks!

Shengar

Staple offensive skills like attack up (XL if you can manage +25 points in attack), sharpness+1, high grade earplugs (so you can keep attacking when things yell at you), etc.

Razor sharp and/or mind;s eye (or steady hand which provides both) would be pretty useful for dual swords, since I imagine you lose sharpness pretty quickly.

Edit: Sheng, sorry I took so long. I'm finally playing again.
Welm then, post away the room and I'll join.

Since I should be aiming to make a set asap, got my eye on a Kecha set. Got enough materials to make the Helm, but will hold off until I can make it more of it. There's a Cap as well which looks awesome, but it seems to be the same price and have the same stats except for a lower Defense.

Do you guys sell all of the gear that becomes obsolete? My hoarding nature (in games) makes me reluctant to sell pieces crafted from Monster parts

Might need to make a notepad document of materials I need soon, can see myself losing track at some point :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom