• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

spiritfox

What would be a good set of support moves for a Healing Prowler? I think True Health Horn, Health Horn, and Detox Horn/Soothing Roll are essential. But that's all I got so far. Any ideas?

Go, Fight, Win is really good if you use stamina a lot, and decent otherwise, and Vase of Vitality gets rid of blights and increases your red health regen. Also useful are traps from Assist cats, and Flash and Dung bombs for obvious reasons.

Go, Fight, Win is really good if you use stamina a lot, and decent otherwise, and Vase of Vitality gets rid of blights and increases your red health regen. Also useful are traps from Assist cats, and Flash and Dung bombs for obvious reasons.
Go, Fight, Win sounds pretty good to me, plus I love the animation. I honestly forgot about Vase of Vitality. Traps are useful in majority of situations so I'll try to fit a Shock Trap for good measure. Thanks for the ideas!

Moondrop

Banned
I was going to do a crit hammer build around Hidden Breaker. But I am drawn to the glory of the Geode Hammer, so I think I'll have to make a blunt build around that.

But what skills to complement it? I like some divisive skills that I find weaken monsters and make fights go smoother- partbreaker (more trips and staggers reportedly), KO, stamina drain. But I know you can eat for KO and there are too many monsters with total stamina immunity. Even though I unlocked my HR, I really haven't fought any elite monsters yet beyond a couple of hypers. So for hammer perhaps blunt, partbreaker, and some combo of attack up/evasion/stamina recovery?

Mupod

I was going to do a crit hammer build around Hidden Breaker. But I am drawn to the glory of the Geode Hammer, so I think I'll have to make a blunt build around that.

But what skills to complement it? I like some divisive skills that I find weaken monsters and make fights go smoother- partbreaker (more trips and staggers reportedly), KO, stamina drain. But I know you can eat for KO and there are too many monsters with total stamina immunity. Even though I unlocked my HR, I really haven't fought any elite monsters yet beyond a couple of hypers. So for hammer perhaps blunt, partbreaker, and some combo of attack up/evasion/stamina recovery?

eh...hammer may have mind's eye for super pounds but bouncing off monsters would be terrible for every other move. Granted I use Guild style, if you were more the Striker or Adept type that might not bother you.

KO, I think it doesn't stack with Slugger (correct me if I'm wrong). Stamina drain...well, I use it but just because it's the only half decent skill I can get with my charms when using grimclaw hammer + dreadking set. I'd rather have evasion+1 if I had the charm for it - very useful even if absolute readiness gets me out of most bad stuff. And yes, all hyper monsters are immune to stamina drain, which is why I have a different set with the regular Tigrex hammer and Partbreaker. Partbreaker is cool but really only super useful for a handful of monsters - Silver/Gold Raths and Uragaan heads become major weak points once broken. Combine this with Weakness Exploit for some fun.

Earplugs is a great hammer skill and kinda always has been. Yeah, adept can dodge roars, but with earplugs every single roar becomes a free huge opening. I don't have a list of everything that needs high grade vs regular earplugs, but you'll probably end up fighting a lot of Raths and both the deviants and silver/gold versions need high grade.

As I said, Weakness Exploit is great on hammers (and most things...it's OP as hell). You're usually hitting the head which is usually a weak point, and hammer is all about that raw damage. If you can combine it with Crit Up somehow that is a LOT of damage.

If you're not afraid of fighting the game's biggest jackass 20+ times in a row, Dreadking armor is tailor made for hammers. High Grade earplugs, Windproof (Hi), Attack Up (L), Weakness Exploit. Only thing it's missing is Crit Up which you could theoretically get by dropping down to regular Earplugs (if you have a 3 charm with some Dreadking points).

The set I used before that was Silver Sol. Comes with Weakness Exploit and Crit Up out of the box and I was able to get Critical Eye +2 on it as well. With the Garuga mask I was able to get high grade earplugs on there at the cost of CE+2.

Juraash

Anyone have some food end game bow set suggestions? Been playing exclusively Greatsword for hundreds of hours of MH, but I used to use bow as well. Since I'm getting well set up end game wise with my GS stuff I thought it might be good to bring back other weapons into my play.

Have access to almost everything so any suggestions are welcome.

spiritfox

Anyone have some food end game bow set suggestions? Been playing exclusively Greatsword for hundreds of hours of MH, but I used to use bow as well. Since I'm getting well set up end game wise with my GS stuff I thought it might be good to bring back other weapons into my play.

Have access to almost everything so any suggestions are welcome.

Teostra bow is the only bow you need. For armor, Shagaru S has Normal Up and Unscathed, but if you are willing to mix, the 3 most important skills are Normal Up, Load Up, and Focus.

c1ff84e1089817afe09521da9bb50ae0.gif

my face when i beat glavenus in the village and I get rainbow pigment and the end credits play

How do 6* missions work? Do i just start doing them to get the advanced quests, or are those gonna appear after I do more online? I'm only on hub 4* stuff.

There was a list I saw too floating around of the best endgame pierce elemental LBGs..does anyone have that list/what guns you have to start crafting? I remember one was the lobster gun, and the parasol too I think.

ohlawd

Huh. I was specifically told it lost double notes and took it at face value.

That can't be right about Blunt though. I wanna see the receipts

you know the answer to this already reading your post on the next page :p

but yeah, Akantor HH does not need Blunt.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

my face when i beat glavenus in the village and I get rainbow pigment and the end credits play

How do 6* missions work? Do i just start doing them to get the advanced quests, or are those gonna appear after I do more online? I'm only on hub 4* stuff.

There was a list I saw too floating around of the best endgame pierce elemental LBGs..does anyone have that list/what guns you have to start crafting? I remember one was the lobster gun, and the parasol too I think.
ANIME.

tuffy

Pretty sure some of the 6* advanced quests open up via request lines, some of which may need some Hub quests finished beforehand.
I've been going with:
  • Flame S - Hyper Rathalos or Deviant Rathalos
  • Water S - Mizutsune
  • Thunder S - Astalos
  • Freeze S - Hyper Zamtrios
They all offer a good selection of rapid-fire element along with inbuilt piercing elemental shots and level 2 element.

Flame S - Hyper Rathalos or Deviant Rathalos

So I'm gonna have to farm Dreadking?
ah i'll just go get the noose now.

I adore that Astalos gun so much it absolutely ruins most larger monsters. So good. But thats good that the others shouldn't be too bad at all then.

Juraash

Teostra bow is the only bow you need. For armor, Shagaru S has Normal Up and Unscathed, but if you are willing to mix, the 3 most important skills are Normal Up, Load Up, and Focus.

I've heard about the Telstra bow and was planning on grinding out some hunts with him to make it. It's kind of a bummer that that specific bow is so good it basically grumps everything else. Though I guess with many other weapons that's kind of the hellblade stuff. In any case, I definitely feel more prone to experimenting with my GS.

Focus is a given of course and luckily I have a fair amount of charms and decorations to stick it on basically anything. Mixing sets isn't my favorite but in this case I'd probably do it. It needs to be as fun as it used to be/at least as fun as running GS for me to stick with it.

Appreciate the tips though. I'll have to fiddle and see what will work, after I brush up in LR a bit.

tuffy

So I'm gonna have to farm Dreadking?
ah i'll just go get the noose now.

I adore that Astalos gun so much it absolutely ruins most larger monsters. So good. But thats good that the others shouldn't be too bad at all then.
The difference between the Rathling Phoenix and Dreadking's Bane is pretty small, at least. Dreadking's has 10 more attack power, 8 fewer P.Flaming S lv. 1, and a few other trivial differences. I'm sticking with the Hyper one for now.

RedFury

Anywhere to see what min-max stats charms can have? I have a +5 hearing with 3 slots but what does that mean, good or bad? What's a good roll on an evade charm?

redcrayon

If you want more quests, do the villager requests (check your hunter notes or prioritise quests with a yellow speech bubble).There's a mix of village advanced 6* quests and hub quests that unlock as you finish requests, and there's loads of them.

Having said that, I've unlocked various stuff by just plugging away at random quests, so just do whatever catches your eye :D

Once you finish the 7* hub urgent, your HR will unlock, and at that point you'll also recieve the elder dragon quests periodically as your HR rises further.

It's worth bearing in mind with villager request hub quests that you want to be the one posting it for it to count as completed, at least for some of them.

tamminen

Now what in the heck is a bumblepumpkin and where do I find that? I want to make an early Focus/WE set for my bow and I've no clue what this item is required to make a Moshgarl armor piece.

redcrayon

Now what in the heck is a bumblepumpkin and where do I find that? I want to make an early Focus/WE set for my bow and I've no clue what this item is required to make a Moshgarl armor piece.
I get them when trading with the farm- send a cart to trade for sap plants or herbs or whatever and you'll usually get one.

tuffy

Realized there's no HR Village, it sucks ! Guess I'm spoiled by the Ultimate versions of 3 and 4.
There are a few high rank monsters in the 6* tier that are balanced for one player, at least. I found it a convenient way to do some Shagaru farming solo.

I just hope they continue this trend and don't wait for 5G to bring it over to the west again...
I know some guys here will skip vanilla for 5G, but I for one can't wait and would buy both again.

redcrayon

There are a few high rank monsters in the 6* tier that are balanced for one player, at least. I found it a convenient way to do some Shagaru farming solo.
Yeah, there's quite a lot of advanced quests that are effectively high rank, some need village requests done to unlock.

Mupod

I have a much harder time finding groups with this game than I ever did with 4U. :(

I haven't had trouble finding farm groups of randoms. But the GAF discord is quite active.

I do miss the days of the room/server browser. Here's hoping the next version brings that back instead of these awkward codes. Was so much easier to just go to the GAF server in 3U and see if there were any rooms up.

Moondrop

Banned
eh...hammer may have mind's eye for super pounds but bouncing off monsters would be terrible for every other move. Granted I use Guild style, if you were more the Striker or Adept type that might not bother you.

KO, I think it doesn't stack with Slugger (correct me if I'm wrong). Stamina drain...well, I use it but just because it's the only half decent skill I can get with my charms when using grimclaw hammer + dreadking set. I'd rather have evasion+1 if I had the charm for it - very useful even if absolute readiness gets me out of most bad stuff. And yes, all hyper monsters are immune to stamina drain, which is why I have a different set with the regular Tigrex hammer and Partbreaker. Partbreaker is cool but really only super useful for a handful of monsters - Silver/Gold Raths and Uragaan heads become major weak points once broken. Combine this with Weakness Exploit for some fun.

Earplugs is a great hammer skill and kinda always has been. Yeah, adept can dodge roars, but with earplugs every single roar becomes a free huge opening. I don't have a list of everything that needs high grade vs regular earplugs, but you'll probably end up fighting a lot of Raths and both the deviants and silver/gold versions need high grade.

As I said, Weakness Exploit is great on hammers (and most things...it's OP as hell). You're usually hitting the head which is usually a weak point, and hammer is all about that raw damage. If you can combine it with Crit Up somehow that is a LOT of damage.

If you're not afraid of fighting the game's biggest jackass 20+ times in a row, Dreadking armor is tailor made for hammers. High Grade earplugs, Windproof (Hi), Attack Up (L), Weakness Exploit. Only thing it's missing is Crit Up which you could theoretically get by dropping down to regular Earplugs (if you have a 3 charm with some Dreadking points).

The set I used before that was Silver Sol. Comes with Weakness Exploit and Crit Up out of the box and I was able to get Critical Eye +2 on it as well. With the Garuga mask I was able to get high grade earplugs on there at the cost of CE+2.
Thanks. I do see the weakness exploit + crit up synergy. Not trying to be a special snowflake, just figured that by going blunt I should diverge entirely from the crit path.

I am concerned about bouncing, but figured that the lvl 2 uppercut has inherent mind's eye as well. And/or that if I'm bouncing with green, it's not the ideal target zone anyway. Mind's eye is pretty achievable though- two good helms, or there's full Akantor armor with it, blunt, and earplugs +2.

Is earplugs worth it if you can't get +2? I wonder if I can make a set with blunt, evade +2, and earplugs +2...

Jesse-

Man, I've been having a ton of fun with aerial SnS!

Just acquired a nice evasion +5 3 slot charm, but how does evasion+ skills work with the aerial hop? Where are the i-frames in the jump?

Cerity

Saw the strider gear on the wiki, looked around to see if the dlc quest had been released yet (not yet) and stumbled across the gamefaqs board. Man I completely forgot that there is weapon superiority in the community. Dudes shitting all over certain style and weapon combinations.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Yeah, like they were a few village quests with G-Rank level monsters in 3U and 4U after the ending IIRC. Since it's my first MH game without G-Rank it threw my expectations off.

Usually I have good experiences with randoms online but this takes the cake :

I was in a decent room, two people split (they said it was their last hunt before so that's ok), room leader posts HR3 Urgent, I accept it, tell him I'll need to hunt Glav afterwards to unlock mine, eat a meal, stock items and get ready for it thinking he'll wait for at least a third player.

But no, he directly starts the hunt. Fine, it'll be harder with only the two of us but not impossible I feel since I've already done it a couple of times before. I bust my ass of for 20 minutes, we repel the two-headed fucker, yay.

As soon as we come back to the camp, the fucker leaves without a word. Damn.

redcrayon

Yeah, like they were a few village quests with G-Rank level monsters in 3U and 4U after the ending IIRC. Since it's my first MH game without G-Rank it threw my expectations off.

Usually I have good experiences with randoms online but this takes the cake :

I was in a decent room, two people split (they said it was their last hunt before so that's ok), room leader posts HR3 Urgent, I accept it, tell him I'll need to hunt Glav afterwards to unlock mine, eat a meal, stock items and get ready for it thinking he'll wait for at least a third player.

But no, he directly starts the hunt. Fine, it'll be harder with only the two of us but not impossible I feel since I've already done it a couple of times before. I bust my ass of for 20 minutes, we repel the two-headed fucker, yay.

As soon as we come back to the camp, the fucker leaves without a word. Damn.
Ah, that sucks. I've had that too, in a room specifically for multiple hyper-monster quests. I spent an hour helping people with some fairly lengthy battles, and as soon as I post mine, everyone splits without a word. Even just saying 'my last hunt' before or clicking on 'thanks for hunting!' would be better than leaving me standing at the quest counter like a lemon.

One I did find funny was a guy who had set 'I never asked for that' as the response whenever he received a heal, as if saying 'thanks' would be admitting that his fragile ego needed help every now and then when he was almost carting. I checked afterwards to see if he had a skill that increased strength when on low health or something but no, he was just too cool to take a heal with grace :D Quite funny when there's four hunters and it's the other two I was trying to keep alive instead.

Most of the time people have been pretty cool though, I had a great hunter show me what to do on that 3* urgent by using the 'follow me!' shoutout to show me weak spots, where to mine etc. I do that with players who ask for help now too. I also tend to remind people what they might need in terms of consumables if they look a little under-equipped or have a massive elemental weakness to what we are going after.

Mistouze

oh yeah, overall the community is great. People complimenting you when you did good, clapping at HH player coming in the room, adding you to their friends list when you had a few good hunts and so on. But that stuff killed me lol. Just quit for the evening haha.

redcrayon

oh yeah, overall the community is great. People complimenting you when you did good, clapping at HH player coming in the room, adding you to their friends list when you had a few good hunts and so on. But that stuff killed me lol. Just quit for the evening haha.
Bearing in mind that I'm not the best hunter in the world, it was a moment of personal triumph in MH4 when I walked into a room of players preparing to take on Gogmazias for the first time, in full Gog armour, and they treated me like I was some kind of superhero who could complete it for them singlehanded. I just imagined my hunter mumbling 'er, I've had a lot of help...' to no avail! :D

I always tap 'nice work!' when I see good play like driving off creatures with dung bombs, consistently good use of flash/sonic bombs and traps, successful mounts of raging monsters, players stopping a quest from failing with heals etc. It's nice to be recognised now and then.

I also had someone compliment me on bugging out with a farcaster rather than cart once, which was very polite, considering how badly I'd fought to be in such a bad situation where I had to teleport out rather than flee to the next area! It really is my absolute last resort, usually I only use it for delivering subquest items.

Mistouze

Bearing in mind that I'm not the best hunter in the world, it was a moment of personal triumph in MH4 when I walked into a room of players preparing to take on Gogmazias for the first time, in full Gog armour, and they treated me like I was some kind of superhero who could complete it for them singlehanded. I just imagined my hunter mumbling 'er, I've had a lot of help...' to no avail! :D

I always tap 'nice work!' when I see good play like driving off creatures with dung bombs, consistently good use of flash/sonic bombs and traps, successful mounts of raging monsters, players stopping a quest from failing with heals etc. It's nice to be recognised now and then.

I also had someone compliment me on bugging out with a farcaster rather than cart once, which was very polite, considering how badly I'd fought to be in such a bad situation where I had to teleport out rather than flee to the next area! It really is my absolute last resort, usually I only use it for delivering subquest items.
I would have thought the same, since the Gog fight was such a PITA.

Top Bottom