• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

1upsuper

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've played MH very casually over the last several years. MHFU, 3G, and 4U, mostly. But I never even approached 100 hours of gameplay. I got Generations as a gift and it seems solid as usual, but I am very overwhelmed by the different styles. I planned on trying out every weapon to see what was gonna suit me this go around but the added styles is kinda stressing me out. Is it worth trying to figure them all out right at the start or just go with one for a while?

hutna

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've played MH very casually over the last several years. MHFU, 3G, and 4U, mostly. But I never even approached 100 hours of gameplay. I got Generations as a gift and it seems solid as usual, but I am very overwhelmed by the different styles. I planned on trying out every weapon to see what was gonna suit me this go around but the added styles is kinda stressing me out. Is it worth trying to figure them all out right at the start or just go with one for a while?

My advice is to find a weapon you like then watch the GaijinHunter tutorial on YouTube. It will give you a good idea of what the weapon can do and the difference between the styles in terms of move lists and general strengths and weaknesses.

Well, it's kinda hard to direct someone to a specific weapon because that should be dictated by your own preferences. Does nothing jump out at you already? Certain weapons are also better with certain styles, too, but most styles are viable for all weapons. There's really no right or wrong answer with what weapon and accompanying style you go with, so long as you like it.

I get the stress, though; there's lots of options. It's really going to boil down to you experimenting and seeing what you like.

http://game.capcom.com/manual/MH_Gen/en/index.html for a painless cursory overview of the weapons (scroll down) to see if anything seems interesting to you. Then you can launch the game and try the weapon for yourself. Do a run with one style, then try another style in another run. That's what I did against the Great Maccao. I found the weapon tutorials kind of misleading because they gave you arts you had no access to yet, and I just didn't like that method of teaching. I prefer to just do combos on my own at base (and reading up the weapon guides in your hunter info section) and putting them to practice against a stress-free monster with no text interrupting me.

A lot of people are going to recommend you watch Gaijin Hunter's videos. It's not a bad idea if you feel like you're missing something or not "getting" the weapon. Definitely do it after you warm up on your own, though. I found a lot of what he was saying/showing went through one ear and out another, but maybe that's just me because I need to actually do things myself first (when trying to see what weapon seems appealing).

1upsuper

Thanks for your help, both of you. I'm less concerned about picking a weapon. The issue is just picking a style, since they seem to create fairly significant changes in how particular weapons play. I'll try to pick a weapon and then look into the styles. I actually watched a couple gaijinhunter videos, but like dragonlife said, I couldn't digest a lot of it for weapons I wasn't already familiar with. And I agree on the weapon tutorials. I expected a bit more guidance to make them worth going through, but I think doing it on my own is the right way to go.

Fandangox

Test each weapon out Guild style with the tutorial quests, the moveset for the different styles is similar enough as they branch out from the Guild style, usually replacing some moves in exchange for the style-specific abilities.

After you find a weapon you like try it out on its different styles, or watch some videos on what each different style changes for that weapon.

Thanks for your help, both of you. I'm less concerned about picking a weapon. The issue is just picking a style, since they seem to create fairly significant changes in how particular weapons play. I'll try to pick a weapon and then look into the styles. I actually watched a couple gaijinhunter videos, but like dragonlife said, I couldn't digest a lot of it for weapons I wasn't already familiar with. And I agree on the weapon tutorials. I expected a bit more guidance to make them worth going through, but I think doing it on my own is the right way to go.
Don't even bother with tutorials for weapons you don't already have a little familiarity with. There's just too much there to take in all at once.

As for styles, go ahead and get a feel for something in Guild Style. That'll have the broadest moveset. Striker generally has a slightly restricted set of moves in exchange for a greater focus on Hunter Arts. Aerial drops an art to add in a vault and moves certain key attacks into airborne variants. Adept loses an art and gives you a really wide dodge window and transfers some moves into counterattacks that are triggered off of the dodge.

Every style has its use in each weapon but certain weapons naturally seem suited to certain styles. For example, Hammer works really well with Adept, since its charge-up counter nullifies the little panic run you do after a adept dodge. Aerial Switch Axe is ridiculously strong since it does big damage on both the vault and the aerial attack in sword mode. Sword and Shield is well suited to Striker style since it loses relatively minor moves and has some really good Hunter Arts.

Is the Hellblade Glavenus armor worth the grind? It took quite a bit of effort to upgrade a single Silverwind Nargacuga weapon and Hellblade Glavenus is so much worse.

1upsuper

Test each weapon out Guild style with the tutorial quests, the moveset for the different styles is similar enough as they branch out from the Guild style, usually replacing some moves in exchange for the style-specific abilities.

After you find a weapon you like try it out on its different styles, or watch some videos on what each different style changes for that weapon.

Don't even bother with tutorials for weapons you don't already have a little familiarity with. There's just too much there to take in all at once.

As for styles, go ahead and get a feel for something in Guild Style. That'll have the broadest moveset. Striker generally has a slightly restricted set of moves in exchange for a greater focus on Hunter Arts. Aerial drops an art to add in a vault and moves certain key attacks into airborne variants. Adept loses an art and gives you a really wide dodge window and transfers some moves into counterattacks that are triggered off of the dodge.

Every style has its use in each weapon but certain weapons naturally seem suited to certain styles. For example, Hammer works really well with Adept, since its charge-up counter nullifies the little panic run you do after a adept dodge. Aerial Switch Axe is ridiculously strong since it does big damage on both the vault and the aerial attack in sword mode. Sword and Shield is well suited to Striker style since it loses relatively minor moves and has some really good Hunter Arts.

Thank you both!

ohlawd

Is the Hellblade Glavenus armor worth the grind? It took quite a bit of effort to upgrade a single Silverwind Nargacuga weapon and Hellblade Glavenus is so much worse.
hell naw

too many useless skills in there. I would just do mixed sets if you want Sharpness +2

Wanderer5

Beaten the "story" or whatever heh. Meh it alright, but I really did like how the narrative and setup for solo was like in MH4. I hope for something like that in MH5.

The er thing at the end was pretty nice through.XD

El Odio

Banned
Reached HR4 in solo but still 2 in the hub. I'm thinking about switching back to some online play tomorrow but first I wanna try getting some better armor. I've been running around with a hodgepodge of stuff I made way back when (Tetsucabra helm, R. Ludroth chestgear, etc.) and feel like its time to get something that'd be more effective for my lvl 2 bone axe. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to all these armor stats so anyone got any advice?

Jesse-

Reached HR4 in solo but still 2 in the hub. I'm thinking about switching back to some online play tomorrow but first I wanna try getting some better armor. I've been running around with a hodgepodge of stuff I made way back when (Tetsucabra helm, R. Ludroth chestgear, etc.) and feel like its time to get something that'd be more effective for my lvl 2 bone axe. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to all these armor stats so anyone got any advice?

Just make sure that skills activate, most skills require at least 10 points to activate. Using a full set of a beast enures some skills are activated. Mixed sets require more planning.

Wanderer5

Only deviant monster armor i want to get is either dreadqueen or silverwind nargacuga.

Same, through I am not a fan of Rathian, so bleh don't think I will go through with Dreadqueen in the end.XD

Nargacuga is a much more fun monster to fight, so definitely looking forward to Silverwind once I level my HR up some more.

spiritfox

Same, through I am not a fan of Rathian, so bleh don't think I will go through with Dreadqueen in the end.XD

Nargacuga is a much more fun monster to fight, so definitely looking forward to Silverwind once I level my HR up some more.

Dreadqueen is actually a fun fight for me, and I find normal Rathians boring.

Wanderer5

Dreadqueen is actually a fun fight for me, and I find normal Rathians boring.

Eh I just find even normal Rathian kind of annoying lol, and that escalates with her variants. I'll still check out Dreadqueen, but I am not quite as excited to check out her equipment after fighting the normal one again recently.XD

redcrayon

Had a great fight with Hyper Gore Magala this morning (I'm chipping away at the end game with one quest per commute). He was hitting like a ton of bricks, but I managed to beat the frenzy out of him. It felt like a real homage to MH4, as it took place in the Ancestral Steppes and I had gone back to my Seregios armour (The Constitution skill helps with blocking the multiple blasts for a lancer). Aerial style allowing for the option of escaping the blast zone in front of him by going over the top (or being in the air when the blasts happen) makes the fight much easier though.

Hyper Lagi quest was appropriately titled as 'into the maelstrom'. Wow, he's really become quite savage with his lightning field over the years! This game has definitely given me a new respect for him and boosted him up my internal ranking of 'creatures not to underestimate' :D

Still really struggling with the 3xhypers quests, might need to post a room to give me a hand with some of them. It's just a shame that running them as a team is easy mode with all the lifepowder and multiple distractions for the target, it rarely takes more than 15 minutes, when I really like the sense of achievement of playing alone but it can take upwards of 40 due to trying to be cautious and preserve resources when fighting stuff that can kill me in three hits.

Two hunters feels about right in terms of challenge vs time, but I'd like to see some small concession to solo hunters on the 3/4x creature hub quests, maybe allowing an extra 10 minutes or something. Some of them feel like an tiresome slog solo but the creatures get totally swamped in multiplayer.

Still, it looks like I've only got about half a dozen requests left to do, and some of them I need to find. Time to start going back through the quest lists and tidying up the jobs I missed. Man I love these games.

Aiustis

I refuse to use armor that I've already used in another game. My favorite armors were Tesucabra (HBG), Yian Garuga (L/HBG) and Narga (LBG).

Any ideas for a gunner armor and weapons? I like to go fast with the LBG and elemental with the LBG and fast and hard hitting with HBG (Pierce and Normal).

I'm thinking Rathy for HBG since I started that one in the last game but preferred the Narjarala and weapon. For LBG, last game I used God's Isle.

tuffy

I've been using full Mitsuaoi for my elemental LBG needs at the moment. Chain Crit with works with rapid-fire and piercing elemental shot to add affinity to all those hits. Crit Element applies critical hits to elemental damage. Critical Up increases the damage of those critical hits by a lot. And it has just enough slots that I can bring in TrueShot Up with any 3 slot charm. For weapons, I've been using the Hyper Rathalos, Mizutsune, Astalos and Zamtrios LBGs to cover their respective elements.

HBG is a different story. Nothing tops the Shagaru HBG is for as normal shot is concerned. For armor sets, something with Normal Up, Weakness Exploit and Critical Up would probably be best. So maybe a Silver Sol base would be good. For non-sieged pierce, Mizutsune's HBG is the way to go. But as for armor sets, something with Pierce Up, Chain Crit and Critical Up could work. My charms are too crummy to mix up something good for that, though.

cheesekao

I've been using full Mitsuaoi for my elemental LBG needs at the moment. Chain Crit with works with rapid-fire and piercing elemental shot to add affinity to all those hits. Crit Element applies critical hits to elemental damage. Critical Up increases the damage of those critical hits by a lot. And it has just enough slots that I can bring in TrueShot Up with any 3 slot charm. For weapons, I've been using the Hyper Rathalos, Mizutsune, Astalos and Zamtrios LBGs to cover their respective elements.

HBG is a different story. Nothing tops the Shagaru HBG is for as normal shot is concerned. For armor sets, something with Normal Up, Weakness Exploit and Critical Up would probably be best. So maybe a Silver Sol base would be good. For non-sieged pierce, Mizutsune's HBG is the way to go. But as for armor sets, something with Pierce Up, Chain Crit and Critical Up could work. My charms are too crummy to mix up something good for that, though.
I personally think the Vizvi Cannon is the better pierce gun. Even though its raw is lower than the Mizu HBG by 20, it has 15% affinity and 3 slots that allows for great options. My HBG set has:

Pierce up
Crit Eye +2
Repeat Offender (Chain Crit)
Crit Boost

I personally think the Vizvi Cannon is the better pierce gun. Even though its raw is lower than the Mizu HBG by 20, it has 15% affinity and 3 slots that allows for great options. My HBG set has:

Pierce up
Crit Eye +2
Crit Boost

It all depends on your charms. With the same skill set Mountainous Roar is objectively better in almost every way: Extra Pierce 1 shot, Pierce 3 allowed, 20 raw is worth more than 15% affinity, good pierce water ammo.

Your above set requires a charm with points towards at least one of those skills, so it's not something everyone can automatically make. With the right charm you can actually get the same skill set on Mountainous Roar (Checking quicky, a 3 slot Pierce Up +5 charm would work as would a 3 slot Critical Up +3 charm, for example). It's just going to be a good deal easier to get a workable charm for them on the Vizvi Cannon.

Edit:
Actually, I just had a thought and did some additional calculations on the two weapons and Mountainous Roar with a generic 3 slot charm will end up better over the Vizvi Cannon on Pierce 2 by like 1% with Pierce Up, Crit Eye +2, Repeat Offender, and Attack Up (S). So, yeah, Mountainous Roar is the better HBG.

Hybris

Nearly done with my solo every quest challenge. Just Deviant Rathalos and Deviant Tigrex left! Not looking forward to Dreadking VII without flash bombs... That's going to be a 35 minute hunt, I can just see it now.

Mupod

Pierce up
Crit Eye +2
Crit Boost

I was thinking of making the Silverwind set for a Striker HBG setup for fun (limiter off is how I used HBG in 3U and 4U). I'd be looking for a fast reload, low recoil pierce gun with good affinity, the problem with the Silverwind gun itself is the lack of slots. Both guns have absolute garbage crouching fire options but that wouldn't matter in Striker.

This would be interesting as the 3 slots would allow me to get Pierce Up with no armor slots easily even with a crappy charm...Although it wouldn't quite be enough to use my Pierce + 5 Expert +10 charm. Boo.

I can see why not too many people want/try to farm Thunderlord Zinogre. Its weapons and especially the armor are not very good at all. Or at least for hunters.

Cerity

Man, spent so much time just farming for more gear. I've gotten a nice armory for LS, SnS, SA, DB and now I'm building out into HH and LBG/HBG. By far the most I've farmed in any MH game.

Man, spent so much time just farming for more gear. I've gotten a nice armory for LS, SnS, SA, DB and now I'm building out into HH and LBG/HBG. By far the most I've farmed in any MH game.

Same. I end up usually capping out at around 220-250 hours after I make a weapon of each element/style in my 4 main melee weapon types. But this time, I actually/finally branched out into gunning which has rejuvenated the game for me.

ohlawd

oflhy.jpg

last award is the small crown one. fuck that, I only have 27/64 small >_>

RIP in peace, MHG. gotta go backlog bustin'

I'm so happy I can use the Seltas armor and reap its benefits this time around. I made it in 4U but never equipped it; it just didn't do my weapon any justice.

Using it for my GL now and it's... ah! I love it <3. Sharpness, Artillery +2, and Hero's Talisman.

The pleasant surprise was definitely Hero's Talisman. I thought it was going to be just attacks from small monsters, but it's that and more. It actually absorbs those little hits from monsters' feet or if they run past you at a wonky angle--and it doesn't interrupt your combo! I also just fought the Mizutsune with it and it just completely negates bubbles, too. It doesn't even apply the bubble status build-up. Pretty cool.

The armor is also green. Best color.

saturnine

For Meownster Hunter, what's the WARNING for some quests about? And is there any trick to hitting the hidden spots on the RARE hunts?

To find the hidden spot I launch my first cat at a maximum angle full strength. It will always land on the opposite side a little above the middle of the screen, and there's a very good chance it will show where the rare spot is hidden.

DrArchon

I'm impressed at how many Mizutsune claws they expect you get for items when your attacks bounce off the claws if you have green sharpness. Very annoying to rely on carves and quest rewards just to get something you know you should be getting from breaks. Thank God I have no desire to get anything other than the Mizu CB.

Also, is it just me or do plates and other rare drops show up a lot more often in this game? I've got multiple plates for Rathalos and Lagi, scalps for Tigrex and Gammoth, and on my very first hunt for a Gor Magala I come away with a plate. It's weird because now you don't need plates for anything but weapon upgrades, so I have no idea what to do with them other than sit on them until I get to high rank.

ohlawd

Boo come back and carry me.
carry me when the good stuff like hyper Jho and Silver Los are up :3

How many hours did this take you?
like 303? spent a lot of time doing turns shit with you guys lol. that really compounded the playtime when you'd have to do three more quests for your own turn again. it actually isn't hard to create your own lobby for deviants with randoms and be the only person to level their shit. I did that for half the deviants. I did Dreadking 1-8 with randoms as an example.

plus, I got lots of help from the OT with clearing up each HR before moving on to the next so I didn't have to scramble to get that crap done later on when I got to endgame. I put up quest after quest knowing they can get that stuff done too. except for the village requests, my bad. if you added up all those dumb urgent-like requests I had, it'd be one whole day's worth of playtime. so big big big shoutouts to Sassy, Foxxy, Zetani, and everyone else in this thread for HR 1-6 and the discord peeps for HR7+

anyway 300 hours in one month, damn lol. this summer is the last time I'll have this much spare time ever again so if anything, at least I spent all that time with something I love like MH.

small crowns tho. fuck them so bad. too lazy to abandon quests over and over until they pass my barrel test.

Shengar

Also, is it just me or do plates and other rare drops show up a lot more often in this game? I've got multiple plates for Rathalos and Lagi, scalps for Tigrex and Gammoth, and on my very first hunt for a Gor Magala I come away with a plate. It's weird because now you don't need plates for anything but weapon upgrades, so I have no idea what to do with them other than sit on them until I get to high rank.
They're needed for armor last upgrade. HR Mizutsune armor for example, needs 5 water orbs.
oflhy.jpg

last award is the small crown one. fuck that, I only have 27/64 small >_>

RIP in peace, MHG. gotta go backlog bustin'

;__;7

tm24

The maxed out Tigrex GS is just a world of hurt. Like holy shit things fall down hard when i slap em with that bad boy

Top Bottom