• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Beats

Ohlawd's room is full so I'm making another HR7+ turns room if anyone wants to do anything:

28-9052-0886-7799
Pass is 1234

edit: full.

Mass Dc'd. Guess I'm done for now. Thanks for hunting!

That double KO from Seltas Queen was brutal.

Mupod

at least I wasn't the only one dc'd. I can hold my own against dreadking but I literally don't have the ammo to kill 2 of them.

Cerity

I'm really hoping they work on monster/environment/area interaction more for the next mainline entry. Monsters freely clipping through walls to wind up attacks has always been pretty booty. That and monsters charging, hitting a wall and sliding to hit you. I could let it slide in the earlier games but it's getting pretty damn long in the tooth now. I'd also love to see more strategy regarding areas. Say monsters follow you into the next area blindly if enraged, leading a monster into a cave to restrict it's movements would be pretty damn cool. Or slowing certain monsters down if they're in an area out of their element.

We've got plenty of weapons with plenty of cool mechanics, loads and loads of monsters, it'd be nice to see them start working on other aspects of the game.

I'm really hoping they work on monster/environment/area interaction more for the next mainline entry. Monsters freely clipping through walls to wind up attacks has always been pretty booty. That and monsters charging, hitting a wall and sliding to hit you. I could let it slide in the earlier games but it's getting pretty damn long in the tooth now. I'd also love to see more strategy regarding areas. Say monsters follow you into the next area blindly if enraged, leading a monster into a cave to restrict it's movements would be pretty damn cool. Or slowing certain monsters down if they're in an area out of their element.

We've got plenty of weapons with plenty of cool mechanics, loads and loads of monsters, it'd be nice to see them start working on other aspects of the game.

One monster (maybe yian? Or something with claws like Bologna ape?) I saw crashed into the wall and was stuck there for a bit. It was really cool to see because I didn't realize it could happen.

There used to be a strategy with volcano monsters where if you got them by those giant rocks, a gunner could blow them up as a bomb and deal some damage. It'd be cool to expand on that in "destructible" areas like the rocks and tree stumps where you could load up some remote explosives and blow them up from afar.

I'd love to see some more exploration of what you said, where you can kind of "trap" monsters in smaller areas or fool them into blindly following you somewhere they shouldn't be. Like for instance Bulldrome would comically slip around on ice if you brought it into the caves. They showed Zinogre falling victim to Mitsu in the in game cinematic.

spiritfox

One monster (maybe yian? Or something with claws like Bologna ape?) I saw crashed into the wall and was stuck there for a bit. It was really cool to see because I didn't realize it could happen.

There used to be a strategy with volcano monsters where if you got them by those giant rocks, a gunner could blow them up as a bomb and deal some damage. It'd be cool to expand on that in "destructible" areas like the rocks and tree stumps where you could load up some remote explosives and blow them up from afar.

I'd love to see some more exploration of what you said, where you can kind of "trap" monsters in smaller areas or fool them into blindly following you somewhere they shouldn't be. Like for instance Bulldrome would comically slip around on ice if you brought it into the caves. They showed Zinogre falling victim to Mitsu in the in game cinematic.

I would be nice to have some monster interactions. Like if there's a Rathalos and an Astalos in the same zone they'll fight each other, or if the Raths have a combo move.

redcrayon

I would be nice to have some monster interactions. Like if there's a Rathalos and an Astalos in the same zone they'll fight each other, or if the Raths have a combo move.
I've often thought that stuff like that would be cool- monsters that deliberately target other monsters like Deviljho or Seregios could prioritise attacking other monsters, and that target flees after taking x amount of damage. Not having monsters be able to move through each other's attacks would be nice too- if hunters get sent flying by a tail swipe from a creature the size of a lorry, it could at least stop a wyvern in its tracks! You should be able to see/hear monsters taking damage from each other.

Agree entirely. I like the way some creatures get stuck in the canopy since MH4 in various areas of Primal Forest and Ancestral Steppe, but am not sure whether that's just them getting stunned when on the upper level, or specifically getting stunned while moving between levels.

Just some more general ideas for monsters interacting with the environment:
I'd like to see Nerscylla not do what spider-man seems to be able to and attach a web-line to an open sky.
Fliers with two broken wings, or two broken wings and under 50% health, could perhaps only flee on foot.
Wouldn't it be cool if you could pursue a tunnelling monster underground, with it effectively having a temporary 'tunnel' area that only opens up when the monster flees, but allows you to mine, follow it and attack it. Creatures with breath weapons could use it to turn the place into an inferno and lure hunters there, so there are some creatures worth following and some where fighting them underground is suicide.
Creatures charging into rock faces could be stunned briefly.
Fliers could be limited when fighting in caves, and be more prone to fleeing those areas when wounded/blinded.
More ways of constructing specific bait to lure a monster to a location you want to fight it in. Maybe a Rath particularly likes a fresh large herbivore kill, and will move to an area where that happens if its in an adjacent one (only works once per quest, or if the monster is unwounded etc).

I just love the 'ecology' side of Monster Hunter.

I have been farming for a Worn C. Blade for three days and I'm about to flip out. I know it's just a matter of time but goddamn, man.

At least I've got 8 Vulcanis!

lol i have 2

im not even playing cblade this time round

I have to assume it's going to be like that for everyone.

"I need Vulcanis"
"I've got 8! But I need C. Blades."
"I've got 2. But I need Worn Hammers!"
"I've got 114. But I need..." etc etc.

Goddamn Desire Sensor! GODDAMN SHARDS!

jonjonaug

I have to assume it's going to be like that for everyone.

"I need Vulcanis"
"I've got 8! But I need C. Blades."
"I've got 2. But I need Worn Hammers!"
"I've got 114. But I need..." etc etc.

Goddamn Desire Sensor! GODDAMN SHARDS!

I have like a dozen of each rustshard weapon except long sword's but I only really use long sword.

I think Alatreon and Diablos do that too with their horns.
EDIT: Also Rhenoplos gets stunned if it hits a wall while charging.

redcrayon

I haven't tested this yet but does Tigrex no longer do this? In Freedom 2 if he charges against a wall his teeth will get stuck.
Fair point. Stuff like this seems to happen on a monster-by-monster basis, but it would be nice if most creatures didn't just seem to be able to ignore charging headlong into a cave wall then skirting along it to sweep you up! :D

Perhaps having creatures display a natural caution against injuring themselves with bone-shattering charges would make the fight less frantic and the creatures less frightening, but I really like the observations about real creature behaviour in the series. The way a Seregios or Rath leads with its claws when attacking from the air, that kind of thing. Maybe they could do something with the monster categories, where Brute wyverns are immune to impact damage as they use their bulk to attack, but fliers avoid letting their wings collide with the scenery? Maybe that's too complex to program.

Perhaps I just really like the importance of learning about a monster so that you can hunt it, and how cool it would be if you could use the environment against a monster more by luring it to disadvantageous points, and recognising that some parts of an area might afford more opportunistic advantages than others.

We can already do a bit of this stuff with tinged meat, traps, exploiting various elemental weaknesses etc if you feel like it, but it all gets a bit lost in multiplayer with the rush to melee. It would make me feel like more of a 'monster hunter' in single player to look at a map and say 'I want to fight it there' than just leaping out of the camp and running straight towards it, up a mountain, with a pointy stick :D

Is it just me or are there very few capture missions this time around?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
39-4278-7887-2206 9999
You dont mind we do some zinogre farming first? Need some parts, i have 2 plates but no shells.
Oh boy network problems.
Edit: ok you guys make a new room. Im gonna go reset my internet

thefil

Ping's MHDex in the OP, far better than Kiranico anyways

Looks like it doesn't have images, so it's not that useful to me.
<-- Fashion hunting

Also, I have spent basically my last 6 hours of play charm farming and haven't gotten a single +Handicraft charm. :mad: They eluded me in 4U as well.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it doesn't have images, so it's not that useful to me.
<-- Fashion hunting

Also, I have spent basically my last 6 hours of play charm farming and haven't gotten a single +Handicraft charm. :mad: They eluded me in 4U as well.
It has full images for weapons and armor sets

Handicraft is also severely nerfed in this game since you need 15 points to reach the same effect as in 4U. 10 points only gets you about half the effect. It's most likely more efficient to just go with a weapon with natural white, do a blunt build, or wear hellblade armor.

Mupod

If I keep playing Adept it's going to make me shit at any MH game that doesn't have it. I should ween myself off of it but it's so fun!

it would definitely be hard to go back to regular HBG. I was a diehard limiter off player but Adept makes siege mode feel perfect. But I don't feel like I need it on hammer, which I've gone back to (mostly Guild mode) for the time being.

I finished my Dreadking set (HG earplugs, wind resist high, weakness exploit, attack up large) and I made a Tigrex hammer. With my current charms I can add Vault, Partbreaker, or Stamina Thief to the set. The latter allows me to use the Grimclaw hammer (no slots) for more affinity, faster Arts and a bit more white sharpness. I still don't like aerial style but I'll give it another shot with hammers since I can think of a few situations where it'd be useful. The Partbreaker set would be amazing for Silver/Gold/Deviant Raths and Uragaan.

If I find a +3 crit up 3 slot charm, drop down to normal earplugs and use the gunner helm I can apparently get critical up on that set. Could be useful on some enemies. But I really like the look of full Dreadking (female version). ZR and twintails yo.

twin tails is low tier, I prefer my hair long and straight

is it just me or are deviants legit scary even in low rank? Tried fighting Redhelm Arzuros in HR3, he was dealing a hell of a lot more damage than I was used to. First time I had to respect a fanged beast :p

El Odio

Banned
Well, I finally got around to doing that "super easy" level three solo quest involving the "simple" task of gathering some Abyssal Mushrooms... After like 25 minutes of getting nowhere while giving hell and carting twice I should have just decided to say fuck it and gather those shrooms but damn, I felt pumped like never before.

Top Bottom