• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

ChrisD

Generations cats are the stingiest suckers when it comes to heals, makes me miss my 4U heal squad. Persistent Heal L throughout the fight.

To decided what armor or SnS you want to use, depends on what you want to play: Status or Support? There is also stylish bombing, but that's late game stuff and solo.

Moondrop

Banned
There are several factors impeding heal cats. First there's enthusiasm- if it's low, their AI will slack off more. Then there's level, which indirectly affects enthusiasm. Then there are support skills that reduce the interval between moves. My healer has one, but I may try upgrading to two in place of health harmonics. And finally there's monsters interrupting the heal. I often see my cat starting a song, and then drawing aggro and taking a charge to the face. Haven't figured out solution for this one. Still, I don't leave on a tough solo mission without a healer.

Branched out into HBG. Has anyone been trying elemental HBGing? I noticed a lot of guns has large internal clips for Piercing Elemental 1/2, and for monsters with good elemental weakness I can get thru a whole hunt with just those 2 ammo + some normal 2 initialy to get the hunting art ready.

Also got the stonefist gunner set to have a bit higher def in HR (my LR armor to Jaggi S help only totaled 130 def). But even at level 6 with Stonefist skill unlocked its only 150 def. Is this normal for gunners? I feel really squishy.

Generations cats are the stingiest suckers when it comes to heals, makes me miss my 4U heal squad. Persistent Heal L throughout the fight.
No kidding. Detox, too. I never carried Antidotes in 4U since my healers were so quick on it. Now, I can wait until half my healthbar ticks away before they get around to it.

Fistwell

Also got the stonefist gunner set to have a bit higher def in HR (my LR armor to Jaggi S help only totaled 130 def). But even at level 6 with Stonefist skill unlocked its only 150 def. Is this normal for gunners? I feel really squishy.
I think that's normal for deviant sets. I (personaly) wouldn't gun in HR7+ quests below 200 armor.

Anteo

Got to HR 2 and got to fight a Redhelm Arzuros, pretty fun fight and pretty long comparen to all the other monsters I fought so far

how much of a difference is there between levels? im not sure if I should try the lvl 2 quests when this one took us 20 minutes

This'll work for a LS user as well I'd assume. I want to change from my bujabujabu set too. :p

Yep. I think I went with straight Rathalos for LS because the sword I was using had a lot of green so I didn't feel Razor sharp was as necessary, but that's preference.

Yep. I think I went with straight Rathalos for LS because the sword I was using had a lot of green so I didn't feel Razor sharp was as necessary, but that's preference.
Swap out the gloves in the Rathalos Cap set for the Obituary gloves. With an Attack +3 talisman (or a couple of slots), you can have Attack Up L, Exploit Weakness, and no Defense Down.

Moondrop

Banned
Positive anecdote on hunting with randoms:

I posted a room labeled HR7 Urgents. Waited by myself for 15 minutes or so, customizing my emotes. Then came two benevolent hunters who had already unlocked their HR. We picked up a fourth, did my Urgent, and then his. I then duoed a Brach with one of these heroes after the other two members of our party disappeared. So shout out to Riku and ScreamPuff.

ohlawd

I posted a room labeled HR7 Urgents. Waited by myself for 15 minutes or so, customizing my emotes. Then came two benevolent hunters who had already unlocked their HR. We picked up a fourth, did my Urgent, and then his. I then duoed a Brach with one of these heroes after the other two members of our party disappeared. So shout out to Riku and ScreamPuff.
you're welcome

I need help doing the Ingredients quest for Nibelsnarf and Plesioth. Anyone want to help me? I have a hub open:
67-2549-7217-2855

Edit:

Nevermind I just joined someone else's room.

Boney

Banned
Got to HR 2 and got to fight a Redhelm Arzuros, pretty fun fight and pretty long comparen to all the other monsters I fought so far

how much of a difference is there between levels? im not sure if I should try the lvl 2 quests when this one took us 20 minutes
Level 4 makes the jump to high rank. So they'll have more HP, be more aggressive and deal more damage. Level 2 and 3 just have extra requirements (capture and a weak boss paired up.)

Wanderer5

Made it to HR5, and then worked on Glavenus armor cause I was getting close to getting two shot with the LR Narga armor.XD Should now be able to handle HR4-5 better least.

So the Nargacuga Throwdown quest in HR5, the one which unlocks Silverwind. Is there a certain Yukumo chain line I need to do, or just keep doing any quests from that village?

After hitting a lull, I noticed I could turn Red Devil Gunlance into a Flamethrower, so I gemmed in some Heat Cancel and went on an Agnaktor HR6 hunting spree to get materials. Because Flamethrower. Then decided why not continue and get the armor? Such is the whim of Monster Hunting.

I feel like I got the full spectrum of helpers last night trying to get Ceanataur S armor. I had a few just about my level that played OK. I had a couple HR unlocked hunters that crushed the quest a few times. Then this morning I got someone that carted in a couple minutes and abandoned.

Voror

So would something like an SA be unable to break something like a Daimyo Hermitaur's shell or do you need something like a Hammer/HH?

DrArchon

So would something like an SA be unable to break something like a Daimyo Hermitaur's shell or do you need something like a Hammer/HH?

I'm 99% sure that a SA can break the shell. It's probably better than a Hammer or HH just because of the built in Mind's Eye. The damage doesn't need to be blunt.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Obviously they were not able to accommodate everyone who came to the event but Capcom should really expand on this tour event they did today and maybe next time not host it inside a Bar.

AFjqo9F.jpg

Mupod

Branched out into HBG. Has anyone been trying elemental HBGing? I noticed a lot of guns has large internal clips for Piercing Elemental 1/2, and for monsters with good elemental weakness I can get thru a whole hunt with just those 2 ammo + some normal 2 initialy to get the hunting art ready.

I was stuck in low rank stuff until I farmed up some Rathalos armor and used the blademaster helm. Got me more than enough defense to safely tackle anything in high rank and came with some decent skills too. Needs a lot of rubies to fully upgrade, but it's extremely easy to make the set.

Built-in elemental ammo is how people speedrun certain monsters with HBG. It's primarily useful with the Mizutsune HBG, which can fire them without recoil. Look into the Haphazard/Trueshot up armor skill which boosts built-in ammo and is easy to gem into any set. Then go fight a Lavasioth or Glavenus and laugh at them.

If we lose arts next game, I'll miss razor sharpness+ absolute readiness + narga weapon

I spent WAY too long before finally bothering to unlock absolute readiness. It's a must for Guild hammer and with the deviant Tigrex weapon it builds so fast I have it ready almost any time I want.

The sharpness thing is nice but I've surprisingly been getting a lot of use out of it for positioning. I'll often be just barely out of reach of a head after a mount and that gives me just enough of a boost to get there in time for a triple pound.

Tom_Cody

Absolute Readiness is broken anyway. a dodge with a free sharpen?
Absolute Readiness is one of my favorite additions to MHG. It makes Striker Lance a delight.

The sharpness thing is nice but I've surprisingly been getting a lot of use out of it for positioning. I'll often be just barely out of reach of a head after a mount and that gives me just enough of a boost to get there in time for a triple pound.
Exactly. It's all about positioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRT4aMoNZGI

Mupod

Looking up HH options. Going for a Blunt setup with the Akantor horn sounds interesting and the horn has really good song list.

What I'm real interested in is the Hellblade one. It's got the same songlist that my old go-to from MH3U had (the Zinogre guitar). AuL, knockback prevention, and Finale which is apparently a renamed Melody Extender. Seems like it'd work well with Adept which doesn't have double notes, since my playstyle with HH always relied on using recitals for damage the adept dodge would help a lot too.

I can make two Hellblade weapons right now - was going to go for that and something else. Probably the SA.

edit: scratch that, need hellblade powder. Shiny drops only, huh? Guess I'll have to farm it somehow - going for throat staggers with a water LBG might be my only option.

DrArchon

So I decided to play around with SnS over the weekend because I hadn't used it since the very start of Tri and I wanted to see how much impact all the new additions had on it. Plus I wanted to have some weapons that could really dish out some elemental damage unlike all of my Impact CBs.

My thoughts:

-Oils are fucking awesome, but I'd appreciate either the glow on the sword being brighter or for there to be a little icon next to your name to denote that the oils are still active. I had a hard time remembering whether or not the oil I applied was still active or not, especially when I would use the affinity oil on the Rathalos SnS.

-All of the hunter arts for SnS are kickass and it makes me incredibly jealous as a primarily CB player. I used Striker style for the couple of hunts that I did and loved how versatile all of the arts are. With CB I just use Absolute Evasion regularly and get a Limit Break + Energy Blade combo off once or twice a hunt. With SnS I was constantly spamming Round Slash and the Shoryugeki with how fast they built up. It just makes me realize how boring the CB arts are.

All in all, way more fun than back at the start of Tri where I couldn't get away from SnS fast enough. Should make for a good secondary set of weapons when I get bored of the CB.

Pejo

So I decided to play around with SnS over the weekend because I hadn't used it since the very start of Tri and I wanted to see how much impact all the new additions had on it. Plus I wanted to have some weapons that could really dish out some elemental damage unlike all of my Impact CBs.

My thoughts:

-Oils are fucking awesome, but I'd appreciate either the glow on the sword being brighter or for there to be a little icon next to your name to denote that the oils are still active. I had a hard time remembering whether or not the oil I applied was still active or not, especially when I would use the affinity oil on the Rathalos SnS.

-All of the hunter arts for SnS are kickass and it makes me incredibly jealous as a primarily CB player. I used Striker style for the couple of hunts that I did and loved how versatile all of the arts are. With CB I just use Absolute Evasion regularly and get a Limit Break + Energy Blade combo off once or twice a hunt. With SnS I was constantly spamming Round Slash and the Shoryugeki with how fast they built up. It just makes me realize how boring the CB arts are.

All in all, way more fun than back at the start of Tri where I couldn't get away from SnS fast enough. Should make for a good secondary set of weapons when I get bored of the CB.

Yea SnS is legitimately fun this time around. It's actually made me a way better player as well, and I really miss the good HA's when I switch back to IG. Totally agree with it needing an icon or brighter glow for the oils though. I still need lots of practice with it to get my kill times down a bit, but I love the versatility and moveset.

Anyways, yesterday I had the best group of hunts I've had since 4U. Got paired up with some randoms and did round robin selection on Hypers. I think the toughest one we did all night was Seltas Queen. She hits deceptively hard, especially if her little boi-friend spits that def down juice on you right before she charges. I was with that group for a few hours, and we took down about 25 monsters before we disbanded. Great times!

Afterwards, I cooled down by doing some 6* advanced village quests, including the Kushala Daora one. Snagged a pretty sweet SnS from the quest after beating him.

I am completely smitten by the Vermillion Viper IG. The high raw and poison has been really amazing, especially on longer hunts as I can pretty much have poison on the monsters 70% of the time, it seems - with the standard exceptions (Raths, etc). I just wish it didn't look like a rifle.

I'm also finally getting the hang of jumping and targeting parts with the paintball. Some monsters are 10x easier to get the correct extract with using that method. It's also a really effective evasive maneuver.

Adept which doesn't have double notes, since my playstyle with HH always relied on using recitals for damage the adept dodge would help a lot too.

I'm not sure about what you mean. All styles allow you to make double notes by hitting monsters, the wording used in gaijin hunter's Hunting Horn video is a bit misleading. It's just that Adept loses the "Flourish" move (Circle Pad forward + A button = double-hit move where you can load any note for free after the first move, or evade).

Blunt+10 / Bludgeoner is generally not used with the Akantor horn build because there are better damage boosting skills.

Mupod

I'm not sure about what you mean. All styles allow you to make double notes by hitting monsters, the wording used in gaijin hunter's Hunting Horn video is a bit misleading. It's just that Adept loses the "Flourish" move (Circle Pad forward + A button = double-hit move where you can load any note for free after the first move, or evade).

Blunt+10 / Bludgeoner is generally not used with the Akantor horn build because there are better damage boosting skills.

Huh. I was specifically told it lost double notes and took it at face value.

That can't be right about Blunt though. I wanna see the receipts

What would be a good set of support moves for a Healing Prowler? I think True Health Horn, Health Horn, and Detox Horn/Soothing Roll are essential. But that's all I got so far. Any ideas?

Top Bottom