• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

DrArchon

They're needed for armor last upgrade. HR Mizutsune armor for example, needs 5 water orbs.

Ah OK, that makes sense, and Kiranico doesn't list stuff like that. Good to know I have a reason to hold onto all these plates beyond upgrading weapons. I mean, I wasn't going to scrap them or sell them or anything, but at least I can go back to getting excited when one of them pops up in the quest rewards screen.

Hopefully my luck will continue when it comes to jewels in HR.

So I'm past all the HR 1-7 quests (HR 34 i think right now) and getting a bit tired of LS, but played an arena mission of SnS Guild Style and man that was fun!

I played a tiny bit of SnS in MH4U but this feels very different and I don't know why. It feels way more like SnS from MHFU from way back (which was when SnS was my secondary).

Any tips for a possibly returning SnS? I forget if it's better for status effects than LS or not? Things I need to know that are bread n butter?

CPCunha

I gotta optimize my time with the game... so can any one of you high ranked gods help me farm HR Narga... i need a HR set so i can clean quests up to HR6...

13-3917-8790-5034

help a brother out!

Done: Thanks Jobber! Awesome style!

Mupod

Is Evade Extender not important for HBG anymore?

still very important IMO. Maybe if you're doing a very optimized solo/no cats speed run with the monster only focusing on you. But it's a pain in the ass to stay in the right distance and deal with the way monsters move in multiplayer without it.

That said, it's not an essential defensive skill anymore thanks to Adept. It's nice to have but I agree that it's a mega pain in the ass to get now unless you have a +6 OOO charm. I've got a really nasty Mizutsune HBG/Mitsuao set without it and I was able to crap on some Glavenus using it. But for everyday use I'll always make sure to get it.

Fistwell

I gotta optimize my time with the game... so can any one of you high ranked gods help me farm HR Narga... i need a HR set so i can clean quests up to HR6...

13-3917-8790-5034

help a brother out!
What happened? DC'ed? I'm still in your room if you want to joint it back.

Edit: Guessing I just showed up too late. Another time then.

13-3917-8790-5034

help a brother out!

Done: Thanks Jobber! Awesome style!
Glad I could help! Let me know when you want to hunt again and I'll be there (if I'm not busy doing other stuff haha).

Pejo

Just hit HR60 last night before bed, decided to quick join a 3/4 full Akantor room, since I'll be farming him for his full armor set and a few misc drops for upgrades. I got put into a room with one other Blademaster and 2 gunners.

-The other blademaster dropped immediately upon entrance. (Yikes!)

-The fight went ok for a while, until I got hit with the def down tusk move, then got combo'd into being stunned and then carted. (double yikes!)

-Then one of the gunners got unluckily one shot by something I didn't see

-A few minutes later, after going underground, moving to the opposite end of the arena and coming up chargin' lasers, I knew it was a wipe when he aimed square at that same gunner and let loose.

Good ol' Akantor.

I look forward to farming him again later today. MHGen has made me rusty at fighting the larger monsters.

DrArchon

I remember doing solo Akantor runs in MH4U. I wanted the Akantor armor set but at the time my wi-fi wasn't good enough for me to go online, so I just kept going into the mission where the subquest was to cut the tail off and I would just keep going for the tail and quitting out after cutting and carving it. Managed to get the whole armor set and the GS to boot.

Once my wi-fi situation improved I did a bunch of runs with groups after that. I probably pissed off a ton of people with how careful I was being in regards to avoiding all of his attacks, but fighting him solo really taught me to fear his damage output.

Heroman

Banned
I remember doing solo Akantor runs in MH4U. I wanted the Akantor armor set but at the time my wi-fi wasn't good enough for me to go online, so I just kept going into the mission where the subquest was to cut the tail off and I would just keep going for the tail and quitting out after cutting and carving it. Managed to get the whole armor set and the GS to boot.
That seem really tedious, why didn't you just solo him?

Ah man Akantor in MHF2U was such a joke as a hammer user IIRC. Flash bomb would make him do nothing, so you could triple pound his face for an easy stun.

upandaway

Started playing this week finally! Almost done with 2* village, really loving it so far. Gonna main the heck out of lance now that they made it good again

So I'm past all the HR 1-7 quests (HR 34 i think right now) and getting a bit tired of LS, but played an arena mission of SnS Guild Style and man that was fun!

I played a tiny bit of SnS in MH4U but this feels very different and I don't know why. It feels way more like SnS from MHFU from way back (which was when SnS was my secondary).

Any tips for a possibly returning SnS? I forget if it's better for status effects than LS or not? Things I need to know that are bread n butter?

Is it just me or do I never get replies in this thread? Been a longtime Hunter and I think I've even played with a few of you in MH4U.

I'll figure it out if I can get no help though :D

I know deviant hunter weapons fill the art(s) gauge faster, but does it fill a prowler support gauge faster? It doesn't specificllly say so in the weapon description.

Juraash

Is it just me or do I never get replies in this thread? Been a longtime Hunter and I think I've even played with a few of you in MH4U.

To be fair, I think I've played with one Gaf person who was running SnS and only like two total since I started online with Gen. I wish I had some tips for you, but Freedom Unite was the last time I even messed with one. It seems like a fairly underrepresented weapon in the sphere of people I've encountered.

DrArchon

I've played around a bit with SnS and for my money there's no real reason to stick with Guild Style because all of the arts are solid and have their uses, meaning Striker is better as a general style imo. Striker loses the back hop and charge attack though, so if you really like those then Guild is the way to go.

Be sure to abuse those oils as well. They're completely busted. Free skills like Mind's Eye, Partbreaker, Crit Eye +3, or the ability to add stun/exhaust damage to every attack is huge, even you only get like 2 minutes.

Boney

Banned

Oils are crazy good. The spinning slash is the most damaging attack by a lot with the back jump attack. They're good elemental and status weapons yeah.

They're also great for support since you can use items with the weapon drawn. Wide Area, trap master are nice skills for multiplayer parties. They're fun stuff with a lot of different moves and oils they're very handy. Having mind's eye as an oil is just too perfect.

Doombear

I've been using nothing but SnS this time around and loving it. Fast, extremely mobile and being able to use items at all times is great.

I largely used different Elemental SnSs early on, whatever the target was weakest to. Then I grabbed a few status Swords like Deathprize, Sleep SnS from Hororo-Horuru, and the Dreadqueen poison blade.

Once I jumped online, it was insanely hard to use anything but the Dreadqueen armor set with the Deathprize. That is what I am using 90% of the time now while I farm up other sets. The paralyze is just too good. If it is a monster that is immune to Para, or extremely resistant to it, I'll go back to the favored element or in some cases Raw.

I am looking into a good blunt setup next.

As stated, Oils are a little OP. I usually start with an Exhaust oil and if no other weapons are up in the face I'll use that until KO. Then I will usually switch to Affinity or Partbreaker oils. If I need it, Mind's Eye Oil is indeed an amazing amazing thing. Kirin for example... no bouncing off her silly dumb face and tail.

I mainly use Adept so I get the lunge back slash attack and use that for an infinite combo. The dodge from Adept into a lunging uppercut means I mount a lot too. With striker you no longer have that dash backwards and run in attack, so I'll just break off at the end with a side roll and get right back to hacking.

Finally got around to finishing my Teostra bow but looking at the availability of armor sets, it's all rather lackluster. What do people typically use?

Oils are crazy good. The spinning slash is the most damaging attack by a lot with the back jump attack. They're good elemental and status weapons yeah.

They're also great for support since you can use items with the weapon drawn. Wide Area, trap master are nice skills for multiplayer parties. They're fun stuff with a lot of different moves and oils they're very handy. Having mind's eye as an oil is just too perfect.

I've played around a bit with SnS and for my money there's no real reason to stick with Guild Style because all of the arts are solid and have their uses, meaning Striker is better as a general style imo. Striker loses the back hop and charge attack though, so if you really like those then Guild is the way to go.

Be sure to abuse those oils as well. They're completely busted. Free skills like Mind's Eye, Partbreaker, Crit Eye +3, or the ability to add stun/exhaust damage to every attack is huge, even you only get like 2 minutes.

To be fair, I think I've played with one Gaf person who was running SnS and only like two total since I started online with Gen. I wish I had some tips for you, but Freedom Unite was the last time I even messed with one. It seems like a fairly underrepresented weapon in the sphere of people I've encountered.

I've been using nothing but SnS this time around and loving it. Fast, extremely mobile and being able to use items at all times is great.

I largely used different Elemental SnSs early on, whatever the target was weakest to. Then I grabbed a few status Swords like Deathprize, Sleep SnS from Hororo-Horuru, and the Dreadqueen poison blade.

Once I jumped online, it was insanely hard to use anything but the Dreadqueen armor set with the Deathprize. That is what I am using 90% of the time now while I farm up other sets. The paralyze is just too good. If it is a monster that is immune to Para, or extremely resistant to it, I'll go back to the favored element or in some cases Raw.

I am looking into a good blunt setup next.

As stated, Oils are a little OP. I usually start with an Exhaust oil and if no other weapons are up in the face I'll use that until KO. Then I will usually switch to Affinity or Partbreaker oils. If I need it, Mind's Eye Oil is indeed an amazing amazing thing. Kirin for example... no bouncing off her silly dumb face and tail.

I mainly use Adept so I get the lunge back slash attack and use that for an infinite combo. The dodge from Adept into a lunging uppercut means I mount a lot too. With striker you no longer have that dash backwards and run in attack, so I'll just break off at the end with a side roll and get right back to hacking.

Awesome! thanks guys this is a huge help! I've barely played with the oils but time to mess em. Plus with the new hunter styles I forget how mobile you can get with an already mobile weapon set.

DrArchon

OK, quick question about a mission I'm having a problem with.

I'm trying to unlock the ability to trade for fish, and to do that I apparently have to do a prowler mission where I get 3 Goldenfish from the Marshlands and deliver them. So I checked Kiranico and went to the spot where it said I could find Goldenfish and I fished there for about 15 minutes and I didn't see a single Goldenfish, much less 3 of them. Plus, I can't use Goldenfish bait because I'm a cat and thus can't use items.

Do I really just have to get stupidly lucky here, or is there some trick that I'm missing?

Beats

I'm trying to unlock the ability to trade for fish, and to do that I apparently have to do a prowler mission where I get 3 Goldenfish from the Marshlands and deliver them. So I checked Kiranico and went to the spot where it said I could find Goldenfish and I fished there for about 15 minutes and I didn't see a single Goldenfish, much less 3 of them. Plus, I can't use Goldenfish bait because I'm a cat and thus can't use items.

Do I really just have to get stupidly lucky here, or is there some trick that I'm missing?

Best way would be to switch to hunter and use goldenfish bait for that quest. You can also go in and out of the area to reset the fish as well if you don`t see any goldenfish right away.

edit: whoops completely missed the prowler mission part.

DrArchon

Best way would be to switch to hunter and use goldenfish bait for that quest. You can also go in and out of the area to reset the fish as well if you don`t see any goldenfish right away.

It's a prowler only mission, so I can't select it if I'm not a cat. I'll try the leaving and reentering thing though

Fandangox

Leave and re-enter the area until you see goldenfish spawn.

Alternatively, reach HR4 in the hub, and you'll unlock fish trading.

Juraash

How much content does this have compared to 4U?

I believe in terms of number of actual quests it has more. But in terms of large monsters I believe it has less. So more quests but less variety...I think. I also feel like endgame in 4U was more varied in monster selection but I could be wrong there.

krossj

Astalos was pretty easy first time round, I was expecting some sergios bullshit. Still hits hard but a bit tamer than i was expecting at least early on. Still have to adjust to the upgrade system change, just a bit different.

Still really early and enjoying revisiting all the old areas and some old monsters.

CTLance

Check the Palico traders for a cat with the "goldenfish catcher" skill and use that. It's like an infinite goldenfish bait. You will probably still have to wade through a bunch of small goldenfish until you get the normal-sized ones, but when in doubt, just exit and re-enter the area to reset the fish.

I don't remember if I asked here or not, but I will again now that I'm consolidating my lists.

A friend and me are having a "personal quest" in MHX. For him, its cutting off every monster's tail (as well as at least getting things like Maccao's Tailspike and Malf's Tailfeather items). For me, it's mounting every monster either as a human or Prowler.

So, I'm going through my list:

Can Altreon, Amatsu or Narkarkos be mounted? Those I'm pretty unsure of.
and, Can you cut the tail off of Alatreon, Amatsu or Narkaros? (if there's anything to cut on him even?) Everything else for tails I've looked up I believe. And, are there any monsters who have a piece of something you can cut off that's like a tail? Nargy has the spike thing, and garuga has a tail (which we had no idea about even after logging nearly 200 hours in MH4U!)

Also mfw I beat Shiggy Magala and get the Fated Four Quest. and then mfw I beat it with having only paint and normal infinite shots left
QlXKAQ0.gif

Shengar

Can Altreon, Amatsu or Narkarkos be mounted? Those I'm pretty unsure of.
and, Can you cut the tail off of Alatreon, Amatsu or Narkaros? (if there's anything to cut on him even?) Everything else for tails I've looked up I believe. And, are there any monsters who have a piece of something you can cut off that's like a tail? Nargy has the spike thing, and garuga has a tail (which we had no idea about even after logging nearly 200 hours in MH4U!)

Alatreon and Amatsu are mountable and their can be cut off while Nakarkos is neither of it.

DrArchon

Check the Palico traders for a cat with the "goldenfish catcher" skill and use that. It's like an infinite goldenfish bait. You will probably still have to wade through a bunch of small goldenfish until you get the normal-sized ones, but when in doubt, just exit and re-enter the area to reset the fish.

I wasn't aware this was a thing. I'll check my palicos to see if any of them have this. Thanks for the tip!

To find the hidden spot I launch my first cat at a maximum angle full strength. It will always land on the opposite side a little above the middle of the screen, and there's a very good chance it will show where the rare spot is hidden.
Good tip, I'll try that!

WARNING means that there's a second monster hidden there. So far, for me it's been Kirin, but imagine that other monsters are possible.
I see. Seems like elder dragon parts. I had Teostra on mine.

PokéKong

Can someone help me make any sense of the food system in this game? In 4U half the stuff would randomly change every cycle, but you could still remember stuff like fish+dairy=explorer or dairy+dairy=foodie. Now it just feels like cycling through a huge random menu with no sense or order to it and a ton of duplicate items that are still somehow different. If I want a specific food skill is there any simple way to see if it's available or not? It feels like such a mess and I don't get how they went from the old system to this, am I missing something?

Deosier

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214193436]Just got 4 Teostra Gems in the rewards box for one run lol[/QUOTE]

You lucky... I've been trying to get 2 for the last couple days.

redcrayon

This might be a dumb question, but I've done all the 1 star village quests... how do I unlock the next lot?
There will be an 'urgent' quest available after doing a few specific key quests. You can't miss it, there will be a village leader/guild lady with a red speech bubble over their head when it becomes available. Talk to the guild lady, the urgent quest will have it's own section below the 1* ones when selecting a quest.

There will be an 'urgent' quest available after doing a few specific key quests. You can't miss it, there will be a village leader/guild lady with a red speech bubble over their head when it becomes available. Talk to the guild lady, the urgent quest will have it's own section below the 1* ones when selecting a quest.

Hmm, maybe I need to go around and talk to a few more NPCs to trigger it.

redcrayon

Hmm, maybe I need to go around and talk to a few more NPCs to trigger it.
Perhaps you already triggered it but forgot about it? Do you have an 'urgent' section beneath the box for selecting 1* quests when talking to the guild lady?

But sure, keep talking to anyone with a speech bubble over their head (the touch screen shows you which villages people are waiting to talk to you in with a speech bubble). If in doubt go to any village with a bubble.

PokéKong;214191513 said:
Can someone help me make any sense of the food system in this game? In 4U half the stuff would randomly change every cycle, but you could still remember stuff like fish+dairy=explorer or dairy+dairy=foodie. Now it just feels like cycling through a huge random menu with no sense or order to it and a ton of duplicate items that are still somehow different. If I want a specific food skill is there any simple way to see if it's available or not? It feels like such a mess and I don't get how they went from the old system to this, am I missing something?
The food skills are sorted into four categories, based on the stat they affect. Then, condiment affects the specific skills you get. The first skill for each food category/condiment combination is static, the rest are usually randomized.

Attack food gives you stuff like Polisher, Slugger, Specialist, etc. Defense gives you Defender, Riser, Acrobat, etc. Elemental Resistance is usually gathering skills. And the No Effect foods will be utility skills like Rider, Gamechanger, and Charisma.

The stronger foods give you the same skills as the weaker ones, but they come with bigger HP, Stamina, and Stat boosts.

DrArchon

Got through the rest of my 3-star Guild quests with my new level 2 Kirin SnS. My continued thoughts and questions on SnS follow.

- Which body parts of a monster should I be focusing on generally with SnS? With CB I work on heads and tails but for a lot of monsters those aren't in range for SnS. With Seregios for example I just worked on the legs and except for the times where I tripped it up I never felt like I was doing much.

- Getting stuns with the SnS is way easier than I thought it would be. I think I managed to get a stun on a Kirin with nothing but a Shoryugeki II to the head. No exhaust oils or shield bashes. With exhaust oil thought it becomes too easy. Does the exhaust oil make the shield bash attacks better at stunning, or does it just add stun and exhaust damage to the sword attacks?

- Kinda related but not really, what's the best way to get a lot of bomb casings? If I'm going to rock SnS more often then I'm going to need lots of flash bombs and sonic bombs to abuse while my weapon is out. I can trade for sap plants but I don't want to just do tons of gathering missions to farm for stone if I don't have to. Is there any point in HR where they let you buy them?

Top Bottom