• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

DrArchon

The trader will sell bomb casings, but I don't remember when it unlocks.

I figured that would be the case eventually. I didn't seriously expect high level players to take long breaks to farm for stone or anything. I guess I just won't worry about it for now.

cheesekao

- Kinda related but not really, what's the best way to get a lot of bomb casings? If I'm going to rock SnS more often then I'm going to need lots of flash bombs and sonic bombs to abuse while my weapon is out. I can trade for sap plants but I don't want to just do tons of gathering missions to farm for stone if I don't have to. Is there any point in HR where they let you buy them?
You get stones from the trader as junk in the second row for trading sap plants so you don't really need to farm them. Just trade, collect, combine.

DrArchon

You get stones from the trader as junk in the second row for trading sap plants so you don't really need to farm them. Just trade, collect, combine.

Oh shit, really? That's incredibly convenient. I've only traded for honey and various bugs so I had no idea. Thanks a bunch.

redcrayon

I'll be around for some hunting in about three hours time (7.30pm UK time) if any gaffers would like some company for the hunt. Just post a room code here.

Moondrop

Banned
I made a mixed bone/lagombi set that gives Blunt, KO, and Evasion +2 to test hammer without mind's eye. Bone helm seems like a lagombi skull complete with bunny ears, so that's a plus.

The max iron hammer (230 raw) was pretty easy to achieve- just 5 uragaan jaws. Bouncing hasn't been too bad thus far, but I haven't yet fought a range of foes. I think I can take on all of the advanced village quests now with this leap in damage.

redcrayon

I've just set up a gaf hub
26 6031 0746 3113
Password is 1111

Anyone can join, I'm happy to help with anything for hunters looking to progress or help out new hunters too.

My character name is Taliel. I'll be here clearing up quests for an hour or two- if I see anyone pop in I'll cancel my quest and say hi!

Hybris

I figured that would be the case eventually. I didn't seriously expect high level players to take long breaks to farm for stone or anything. I guess I just won't worry about it for now.

He starts selling cases and other useful things once you unlock your HR (High rank nakarkos urgent.)

Tarps

I've just set up a gaf hub
26 6031 0746 3113
Password is 1111

Anyone can join, I'm happy to help with anything for hunters looking to progress or help out new hunters too.

My character name is Taliel. I'll be here clearing up quests for an hour or two- if I see anyone pop in I'll cancel my quest and say hi!

Thanks for carrying my LR ass for a while, you make great speedrunners! I forgot to swap cards, doh! Next time you see me I'll be a real hunter.

KdylanR92

Is HR 5 urgent doable solo within 15-20 min? i've done solo up until now and wanna know before i fly through the key quest.

Edit- oh it's just a Mizutsune that's adept bait.

Yeah, LBG. We definitely had good spacing. Hope I didnt hit you too often with bullet geyser though. ;3

Nope only once that I remember and that's because I was running and didn't realize where you were and ran right in front of it haha.

Is HR 5 urgent doable solo within 15-20 min? i've done solo up until now and wanna know before i fly through the key quest.

Soloable, yes. In 15-20, you'd have to be pretty good.

Beats

They added a new item pack to the download menu today(?). It has 30 Mega Dash Juice and Hunter's Drink plus 15 Mega Nutrients.

redcrayon

Man there are so many gathering quests
To be honest there are so many quests in general- I've got a choice between 58 quests in 7*, all of which are large monsters or various combinations of them, and haven't even unlocked all of them yet.

If it's getting tiresome I'd just do the gathering quests that are villager requests (they tend to unlock more missions), early prowler missions (to unlock trading stuff) or match up to items you are looking for. The game has so
much content and is frontloaded with gathering, when the last third or so is almost purely large monster fights.

Shengar

I wonder if Capcom ask themselves "how could we make Lagiacrus an asshole as much as Rathalos?" when they changes Lagiacrus.

Shengar

So, anyone kind enough to pinpoint the differences between this and MH4U?

MHGen
-Have 4 different styles of movesets for every weapon
-Hunter Art or simply put, a flashy technique that act like fighting game specials
-Deviants monsters, a stronger individual monster than their normal counterpart. Each time you complete a level of quest, the next one unlocked and you received tickets that can be used for crafting armor and weapon of that said monsters. Of course the strength of the monster increased as level goes up.
-Hyper monsters. Different from deviants as the hypers are still regular monsters. They have "hyper" part where attack made by that part will deal a fuckton more of damage. But a hunter attacking those part will increase their Hunter Arts gauge at much faster rate. While they stronger than their normal counterpart, hyper don't have special quest structure like deviant does.

MH4U
-Every weapon defaulted to the vanilla moveset (guild style in MHGen)
-Guild Quest, a randomly generated quest with randomly generated map where the level quest increased as you completed it. With every level increase, the monster got stronger and eventually become more threatening than their normal quest counterpart.
-G Rank, or traditionally the highest difficulty tier in a MH game. Every monster in this rank have stronger attack, have their subspecies introduced, or having a certain moves that makes previous approach battling them obsolete. Armor have more skills than its HR counterpart and usually have better appearance, depending on your taste.
-Frenzy and Apex Monster. Frenzied monsters are monster that got infected by virus, and deal more damage as result. While Apex monster is a much hardcore version of it where you attack will be bounced regardless of skill and sharpness unless you attack the monster designated soft point or using wystone (yes Hyper monster probably a refined version of this)

-The number quest and monster between two version is roughly the same. Even though MHGen are padded with boring and mundane gathering quest to make up for the absence of G Rank.

spiritfox

Hmm, why don't I see more Deadeye Garuga sets? It has Chain Crit and Challenger +2, which is nice, plus Negate Stun and Guts which are kinda eh but not useless.

Edit: Anyone wanna grind some Alatreon? I need some Skypiercers.

upandaway

Really enjoying the guild lance. The triple poke is a lot of fun. So much that I haven't really tried any other weapon yet or even any hunter art besides absolute evasion. I'll have to give it some research time later.

To be honest there are so many quests in general- I've got a choice between 58 quests in 7*, all of which are large monsters or various combinations of them, and haven't even unlocked all of them yet.

If it's getting tiresome I'd just do the gathering quests that are villager requests (they tend to unlock more missions), early prowler missions (to unlock trading stuff) or match up to items you are looking for. The game has so
much content and is frontloaded with gathering, when the last third or so is almost purely large monster fights.
Yeah you're not kidding, I'm usually really fine with the gathering in MH but I'm starting to get annoyed a bit. Just unlocked 3* earlier today and it exploded into a mountain of gathering/small hunting again.

I always try to complete all the quests in a games, at the very least I always do all the village quests but I might honestly not go for it this time.

CTLance

So, anyone kind enough to pinpoint the differences between this and MH4U?
Ooof. There's a lot. Graphical fidelity is different, which is immediately obvious. Very rough and tongue in cheek summary: 4U focuses on Monsters and maps, while Generations focuses on flashy attack effects.

Generations introduces prowler mode and Hunter Arts & Styles, which seriously change the way you play the game.
Prowler mode slashes your defense and attack and restricts your weapon choice(/individuality) severely in exchange for unlimited everything - no weapon sharpness management, limitless access to a choice of healing, traps, flash bombs, barrel bombs, horns. There's no need for paintballs, since you have a Psychic-like skill working at all times, and unlimited tranq bombs are available as soon as a monster is inside a trap. Gather as long as you want, no need for pickaxes etc. Also, no more stamina management: Sprint all the time. Hide in the earth to become invulnerable. Eat two, possibly up to three deaths before getting carted, with on-the-spot revives.
Hunter Arts and Styles for the traditional Hunter mode on the other hand seriously impact gameplay. Adept gives you an outright ridiculous invul-dodge that also conveniently powers up your attacks. Aerial lets you jump off monsters (even some attacks) and extends your dodge distance. Guild lets you indulge in Arts, which offer various effects like AoE heals, furious attacks, stat boosts, transporter boosts, etc.

There's also a far enhanced viability for ranged attackers in Generations. Bowguns now come with free built-in ammo mags, which considerably cuts down on micromanagement. Certain arts and styles give you free, or at least hassle-free reloads (e.g. Jumping off a monster with Aerial reloads your current ammo).

SnS gets a major boost in Generations with oils, consumable items that add a time-limited extra effect to your attacks. Exhaust, no bounce, etc. pp.

4U forces you through a coherent story, Generations reverts to the traditional hands-off style. Strangely enough, I feel Generations is far more verbose about everything. So much useless dialogue and pointless chasing after speech bubbles. Related: If you care for multiplayer, 4U unlocks that only after you beat Seltas, while Generations offers everything from the get go.

Generations is far more generous with early access to essential items like armor spheres or trap tools, which can be gotten for points.

Speaking of which, in 4U points are the more scarce resource, in Generations it's Zenny. Trade for godbugs and armor spheres for money, and keep an eye out for sales on genprey fangs for a bit of extra cash.

There's also a different Palico minigame, and the cooking system has been tweaked.

And, Generations lets you freely change Palico enemy affinity over 4U where it was an armour skill, and it offers a limited amount of customisability. You can transfer one skill and one ability from other Palicos. Oh, Palicos now have a chunk of skills and abilities you can pick from based on a slot limit.

Finally, on quests: village mode in Generations is outright painful. Way too many gathering and mini monster slay quests. Quite restricted "boss monster" variety until later. Offset by a huge assortment of themed Jaggies, err I mean _____-dromes, and a total lack of challenge until later in the game.

There's loads more.

colinp

Banned
Anyone want to help me kill Nakarkos?

Edit: Done! Finally finished up Guild 7 and immediately jumped from HR 7 to 41!

Ahahahaha, guess I got a little sidetracked.

CPCunha

Gotta get my HR up while i can play (god bless weekends).

Join me to finish HR5 and maybe 6...
05-9657-8972-7257

!!

Edit: Gaf Hunters=Best Hunters... thanks for helping out guys!

DrArchon

I think I must have MH Weapon ADHD because now I'm trying out Long Sword for the first time since Tri. The lack of range on SnS was getting on my nerves, but I still wanted to play around with a weapon that didn't have crappy arts like CB. LS is pretty fun all things considered. I've only used it on like 3 hunts so far, but I'm enjoying it. The fade slash is really nice, and having a way to skip right to the 3rd move in the spirit slash combo is very helpful, not to mention having arts to max your spirit gauge and increase your spirit level.

I also beat the HR3 Narkarkos Urgent last night. Very underwhelming fight. I hope that he's more fun to fight later on when you're allowed to kill him.

I will never understand why Monster hunter keep on bringing back dromes, they are terrible and not fun to fight.

Agreed. Both Great Jaggi in previous games and Great Maccao are far more fun to fight than any of the dromes. It's very easy to tell which monsters were made for newer games in the series, because all of the dromes are just so fucking basic.

Yeah you're not kidding, I'm usually really fine with the gathering in MH but I'm starting to get annoyed a bit. Just unlocked 3* earlier today and it exploded into a mountain of gathering/small hunting again.

I always try to complete all the quests in a games, at the very least I always do all the village quests but I might honestly not go for it this time.

RIP, 4 and 5 have a ton of them, and there's insane ones online. Not only gathering but the crazy "kill 50 vespoid"/bugaboo missions both in the village and online. I'm not really sure why they decided to go all in with gathering missions everywhere except to maybe slow down progress because there's "less" in a sense?

Agreed. Both Great Jaggi in previous games and Great Maccao are far more fun to fight than any of the dromes. It's very easy to tell which monsters were made for newer games in the series, because all of the dromes are just so fucking basic.

As a gunner I wouldn't necessarily care about the dromes that much besides the fact that they (or at least iodrome?) have near pinpoint accuracy when jumping now. I couldn't believe when I was fighting Io a little bit ago where every. single. time. he jumped he landed directly on me and started the "eating" animation. He wasn't even drooling or hungry! It's just landing on me activates it! I think it's also infuriating they each have the status inflictors too because of how wispy they are.

I'd have loved to have Great Wroggi and Baggi back I think instead of the dromes. Maybe next game.

mfw I beat pretty much all of the 6* quests, and get Out of the Frying Pan. Jho freaking took my health out in one swipe.

KdylanR92

Jesus HR 5 quest are rough solo, I can keep them under 30min but it still feels like i'm fighting monsters for hours.

I'm definitely not going solo for HR 6.

HR5 Urgent is a double urgent. Both monsters have a fuckton of hp, don't do this solo unless you like it rough.
Edith: I like fighting the rath. They are fun imo. First real big monster early in. That said Lucent Nargacuga and Molten Tiggy will always be my favorites. Well and maybe Black Diablos, because she usually gives me the armor I use in HR. RIP.

Top Bottom