• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

How are the Advanced Village quests unlocked? I want make a Rathalos S mix set but I don't know if I can make it through 5* guild with my LR armor to unlock him in 6* guild.

Monsters in Advanced Village quests drop HR parts, right?

KdylanR92

HR5 Urgent is a double urgent. Both monsters have a fuckton of hp, don't do this solo unless you like it rough.
Edith: I like fighting the rath. They are fun imo. First real big monster early in. That said Lucent Nargacuga and Molten Tiggy will always be my favorites. Well and maybe Black Diablos, because she usually gives me the armor I use in HR. RIP.

I have one key quest in HR 5 to go, this just nuked my motivation.

Bought the game yesterday but wont be able to play till monday cause ill be at work. Ill probably go charge axe again as its the weapon that made me actually enjoy playing mh but ill try some other weapons before doing so

jonjonaug

How are the Advanced Village quests unlocked? I want make a Rathalos S mix set but I don't know if I can make it through 5* guild with my LR armor to unlock him in 6* guild.

Monsters in Advanced Village quests drop HR parts, right?

You unlock the first Advanced Village quests by completing Guild quests, from there you unlock more by doing more of the Advanced Village quests and also more Guild quests. There's really only one Village quest good for farming Rathalos parts though, I think. You might be better off just searching for a farm room online.

KdylanR92

Lavasioth huh......why.

You know the Plesioth, that monster that can hip-check you into space and everyone hates fighting... let's make a lava version.

Edit: wasn't too bad, 20min fight not cancer

You unlock the first Advanced Village quests by completing Guild quests, from there you unlock more by doing more of the Advanced Village quests and also more Guild quests. There's really only one Village quest good for farming Rathalos parts though, I think. You might be better off just searching for a farm room online.
Yeah, I guess I'll try doing that. As long as I'm HR 4+, I can join any HR quest, right?

jonjonaug

Going through all of the high rank prowler quests, starting from the first 4* one 32-1479-1040-6820

If anyone needs any, come on in

KdylanR92

HR 5 urgent Gammoth down, 31 minutes solo.

Not looking forward to Mizutsune.

Edit: nevermind Mizutsune down, 15min solo, child's play basically

redcrayon

Well yeah, they are. They're still shit monsters though, and I wouldn't mind seeing them omitted from a MH entry.
What specifically do you think makes them shit? I think they are nice flagship, mid-level monsters as fighting them can involve far more tactics than the early game enemies etc. On the Rath's side, they are quick, have ranged attacks and poison tail swipes so can engage a whole team in a large arena. On the hunters side, they teach use of flash bombs to keep them grounded, dung bombs to deal with being mauled, antidotes, pattern recognition (exploiting the double tail swing), staying mobile to dodge projectiles/heavy flying claw attacks and exploiting openings etc. They require hunters to up their game from just hitting ground-based walls of scales and fur. Still, to each their own. I love fighting Rathalos and his variants. For me I started to enjoy the fights when I started always keeping a flash bomb ready to use in the item slot, and the parts to make more than the five you are allowed to carry. In generations it's even easier as aerial style will let you start knocking them out of the air too.

Rathian/Rathalos are in too many games and they have too many variants / subspecies / whatever with only small differences. => overdose

I too wouldn't mind their complete removal in the next Monster Hunter, a bit like how they took harsh decisions when making MH3 on Wii (only 3 returning monsters, several weapons removed, etc.).

Cerity

They just need to be revamped properly IMO, their moveset is a weird mix of new and old. They're still good mid level monsters that can get kinda scary with their later variants.

redcrayon

Rathian/Rathalos are in too many games and they have too many variants / subspecies / whatever with only small differences. => overdose

I too wouldn't mind their complete removal in the next Monster Hunter, a bit like how they took harsh decisions when making MH3 on Wii (only 3 returning monsters, several weapons removed, etc.).
That's a fair point. If anything, I don't think an ever-increasing roster size is a wonderful thing, as you end up leafing through fifty pages of options in the armoury and ignoring loads of monsters.

I do prefer fighting both Astalos and Seregios to Raths, as they are a little less predictable and a bit more dangerous with their heavier attacks.
They just need to be revamped properly IMO, their moveset is a weird mix of new and old. They're still good mid level monsters that can get kinda scary with their later variants.

Yeah, fair enough, I don't see why they can't keep the design and rework the move sets. After fighting them in several games, most hunters must have it all down on muscle memory by now, their patterns are very simple compared to newer creatures that offer more interesting battles. With Rathalos I always feel like I'm hunting it, whereas with Seregios sometimes it seems the other way around which is great!

Hybris

Finished all quests solo! Nothing was super hard, but Dreadking was pretty irritating to fight. Especially on the multi Dreadking hunts where I couldn't have enough flash bombs to kill both. Dreadking IX: Killed first one in 9 minutes, finish quest at 32 minutes... They just don't know how to make a Rathalos difficult without making him extremely annoying to fight. Favorite deviant is probably Thunderlord Zinogre.

Used mostly Hammer and IG, with a decent number of hunts as LS, GS, and CB. Time to get to charm farming so I can do some speedruns. Not looking forward to this lol.

I will never understand why Monster hunter keep on bringing back dromes, they are terrible and not fun to fight.

Aye, drop the dromes and bring back the full "aggi" line - Jaggies, Wroggies, Baggies, and now the Macau. All are far more interesting as minor monsters than their prey/drome counterparts.

DrArchon

There are so many awful monsters in this game that just never need to come back. The dromes, Yian Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga, Gypceros, Plesioth, all of these monsters are just incredibly boring to fight. Really any monster were their primary attacks are side bite, spin in place to hit you with their tail, and charge forward spitting crap to both sides can just get lost.

I'm getting through the early high rank missions and the difference in quality between monsters like Kech Wacha and something like Plesioth is just staggering. Kecha has so many more interesting attacks and animations, while Plesioth is just Cephadrome with a wonkier hitbox on the hip check. It's staggering how low quality so many of the earlier made monsters are.

Heroman

Banned
To be honest I dont like Monster hunter love for First/Second monster, because outside of a few Monsters it pretty easily to tell which is 3rd/ 4th gen which ones are 1st/2nd gen.

Hybris

There are so many awful monsters in this game that just never need to come back. The dromes, Yian Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga, Gypceros, Plesioth, all of these monsters are just incredibly boring to fight. Really any monster were their primary attacks are side bite, spin in place to hit you with their tail, and charge forward spitting crap to both sides can just get lost.

I'm getting through the early high rank missions and the difference in quality between monsters like Kech Wacha and something like Plesioth is just staggering. Kecha has so many more interesting attacks and animations, while Plesioth is just Cephadrome with a wonkier hitbox on the hip check. It's staggering how low quality so many of the earlier made monsters are.

Add bulldrome and blangonga to that list. Bulldrome is just pointless and blangonga would rather jump around at random than fight you. Two of the most annoying monsters in the series for me.

Cerity

Man haven't been this ticked off at a hunt in a long while. Solo'ing Agnaktor, get it limping, I flashbomb it and prepare to drop a trap. It spins away just as the trap finishes setting up and manages to avoid it. It charges away and disappears to sleep. I follow it into the next zone, I get hit with a roar followed by consecutive charges into a wall and I cart. Get back into the zone, the Agnaktor goes back to the previous area and appears right on top of the trap I placed earlier but I can't get back to it in time to tranq it as I have to scale the wall to get out. I get into the zone, bomb it, drop the pitfall and then a Rathalos appears. It roars, charges and gets caught in the pitfall instead while the Agnaktor is just idling around. Ended up just killing it.

DrArchon

Add bulldrome and blangonga to that list. Bulldrome is just pointless and blangonga would rather jump around at random than fight you. Two of the most annoying monsters in the series for me.

I'm pretty sure I've fought each of those a total of two times just because they're so boring/frustrating.

Basically any giant version of a smaller monster that comes from one of the earlier games in the series is just awful to fight, except for Daimyo Hermitaur and Shogun Ceanataur (and I don't think both should be in the game, one is fine). MH5 would do well to have some of the older, less well thought out monsters get cut. At the very least, they should make it so that there aren't multiple monsters in the game with similar movesets. There's no reason for Yian Kut-Ku, Gypceros, and Yian Garuga to be in a game when they're all so similar to fight.

MH Tri was awesome about this. Tons of new monsters, tons of interesting movesets.

Hybris

Man haven't been this ticked off at a hunt in a long while. Solo'ing Agnaktor, get it limping, I flashbomb it and prepare to drop a trap. It spins away just as the trap finishes setting up and manages to avoid it. It charges away and disappears to sleep. I follow it into the next zone, I get hit with a roar followed by consecutive charges into a wall and I cart. Get back into the zone, the Agnaktor goes back to the previous area and appears right on top of the trap I placed earlier but I can't get back to it in time to tranq it as I have to scale the wall to get out. I get into the zone, bomb it, drop the pitfall and then a Rathalos appears. It roars, charges and gets caught in the pitfall instead while the Agnaktor is just idling around. Ended up just killing it.

Shit like this is why I just kill everything unless I'm going for a rare mat and capping is better. Without cap guru, killing is faster. That said, this mentality has lead me to failing each deviant cap quest at least once before succeeding. I swear the limp threshold for monsters in cap quests is like 8% health...

KdylanR92

Just got a charm with Charmer +7 on it... i'm only HR6 I can't use this yet.

It would really make these solo charm runs even better, get about 20 a run.

Forkball

Is there any possibility I would dig this game if I thought Monster Hunter 3 Tri is too slow and grindy? I liked the mechanics and online gameplay, but they really needed to pump up the jams when it came to the pacing of the game.

Cerity

Is there any possibility I would dig this game if I thought Monster Hunter 3 Tri is too slow and grindy? I liked the mechanics and online gameplay, but they really needed to pump up the jams when it came to the pacing of the game.

The pacing of the village quests in this is worse IMO. But if you want, you can just dive straight into the guild quests. You'll be probably feel pretty far in the deep end if you're not playing with other people though.

Fork, I love Monster Hunter a lot. But this game in particular has a really low start for solo play. I recommend hitting online right away, with a friend if possible.

Or get MH4U (I don't know how many people play online right now, if they do they are most likely G-Rank), it has a waaaay faster single player campaign and, while simple, "actual story", if you care about such thing.

CPCunha

2 quests away from HR7... would love to unlock my HR today... help me turn this dream into a reality!

28-9266-8504-9638

!!

colinp

Banned
I need help! I'm aerial LS running Glavenus S armor at HR 41 and I'm really not sure what armor to focus on making next. I like the skills I've got here (including a +10 mounting talisman) but I'm getting bored of the armor design. What's a good replacement? This is my first time so deep in a MH so the wide variety of possibilities is a bit intimidating. Any advice?

cheesekao

I need help! I'm aerial LS running Glavenus S armor at HR 41 and I'm really not sure what armor to focus on making next. I like the skills I've got here (including a +10 mounting talisman) but I'm getting bored of the armor design. What's a good replacement? This is my first time so deep in a MH so the wide variety of possibilities is a bit intimidating. Any advice?
Get a clown suit with razor sharp, tenderizer and critical boost. There's a link in the op to to Athena's Armor Set Searcher. Use that.

Fainted twice online feels bad man, i play way more scrubby online/ with my girlfriend offline.
Harder to play safe, when it gets so hectic and mashy! Still girlfriend seems to have fun playing online, so maybe we will try do more of it, rather than a last resort.

I bought Freedom Unite for my Vita a couple years ago but didn't get far at all. I played the Generations demo, felt it looked and felt a lot better than on the Vita and bought it on a whim. Going through the training quests right now and am having a blast. Can't wait to finish all of the weapon training so I can see what one works for me

jahasaja

After a couple of 6 star quest took 30+ minutes I started playing multi-player and I must say that I enjoy the game much less in multi-player.

It just becomes too messy and it is hard to feel that you earned the win.

When you play solo you have to learn the monsters attack patterns and it is much more intimate. When you play multi it is often just hitting the monster brainlessly.

a little bit sad that so much of the game is, almost, locked behind multi-player.

Top Bottom