• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

After a couple of 6 star quest took 30+ minutes I started playing multi-player and I must say that I enjoy the game much less in multi-player.

It just becomes too messy and it is hard to feel that you earned the win.

When you play solo you have to learn the monsters attack patterns and it is much more intimate. When you play multi it is often just hitting the monster brainlessly.

a little bit sad that so much of the game is, almost, locked behind multi-player.

You can play all the hub quests solo.

I literally did G-Rank 2 in MH4U solo since no one wanted to help.

Juraash

After a couple of 6 star quest took 30+ minutes I started playing multi-player and I must say that I enjoy the game much less in multi-player.

It just becomes too messy and it is hard to feel that you earned the win.

When you play solo you have to learn the monsters attack patterns and it is much more intimate. When you play multi it is often just hitting the monster brainlessly.

a little bit sad that so much of the game is, almost, locked behind multi-player.

Nothing in the game is insurmountable as a solo player. In 4U I solo'd all the way to Gogmazios in G rank (10* iirc) before I decided to start running with people. That said, the time you invest in learning monsters and how prepared you have to be does go up. The harder the quest the more on your game you have to be to complete it.

That said, the time investment to reward ratio isn't so hot solo. And I could see the argument that fast progression is "almost locked behind mp."

But if you like solo play solo. Just be ready to really use that clock on monsters you aren't as proficient at.

DrArchon

After 3 failed tries to solo the Plesioth urgent, I finally broke down and did it with 3 randoms online. Easily one of the worst monsters in the game. I remember hearing about Plesioth's hip-check for ages, but I never thought it would be actually as bad as people were saying. You'd think it'd either have a busted hitbox or do a lot of damage, not both.

After 3 failed tries to solo the Plesioth urgent, I finally broke down and did it with 3 randoms online. Easily one of the worst monsters in the game. I remember hearing about Plesioth's hip-check for ages, but I never thought it would be actually as bad as people were saying. You'd think it'd either have a busted hitbox or do a lot of damage, not both.
I just unlocked that urgent and have never faced it before either. But I thought its hitbox has been "fixed" since MHFU?

I'm sure attempting to solo this with my low rank equipment is going to be a joy...

I just unlocked that urgent and have never faced it before either. But I thought its hitbox has been "fixed" since MHFU?

I'm sure attempting to solo this with my low rank equipment is going to be a joy...

It's much tighter than it was in MFHU ya, especially the tail swipe which you can actually duck under now.

Tarps

I have a question GAF, why are some of my food skills regularly greyed out? I can't seem to activate Felyne slugger on my hammer. Is it just incompatible with the weapon?

jahasaja

Which part of the game is "almost locked behind mp"?

I added "almost" since I know that it is not really locked behind mp. It just that my enjoyment of the game is dampened when the fights go on too long.

Nothing in the game is insurmountable as a solo player. In 4U I solo'd all the way to Gogmazios in G rank (10* iirc) before I decided to start running with people. That said, the time you invest in learning monsters and how prepared you have to be does go up. The harder the quest the more on your game you have to be to complete it.

That said, the time investment to reward ratio isn't so hot solo. And I could see the argument that fast progression is "almost locked behind mp."

But if you like solo play solo. Just be ready to really use that clock on monsters you aren't as proficient at.

I do find the fights more fun when they are hard. I did all my favourite fights solo on 6star but the less enjoyable fights I do not think I would like to do solo since they take so long.

It only feels messy with other people when they don't know what to do. If you have a good group it's super fun. Unless you are not a teamplayer.

True, I guess the harder the fights the more fun MP becomes. If they are too easy nobody needs to care about teamplay.

HeeHo

I have a question GAF, why are some of my food skills regularly greyed out? I can't seem to activate Felyne slugger on my hammer. Is it just incompatible with the weapon?

That makes it easier to stun monsters, right? Maybe you already have the KO skill activated. Or maybe it's because you're already using a hammer...? I'm not too sure.

redcrayon

I'd guess either hammers in general, your specific hammer or your skills (maybe KO?) already duplicate whatever bonus Felyne Slugger is adding (easier to stun monsters).

I had this when I couldn't figure out why sharpness+2 (handicraft) was greyed out on one of my equipment sets. Turns out it was because my Sedition Lance had a full sharpness bar, so the skill couldn't add anything else.

redcrayon

I added "almost" since I know that it is not really locked behind mp. It just that my enjoyment of the game is dampened when the fights go on too long.

I do find the fights more fun when they are hard. I did all my favourite fights solo on 6star but the less enjoyable fights I do not think I would like to do solo since they take so long.

True, I guess the harder the fights the more fun MP becomes. If they are too easy nobody needs to care about teamplay.
The only fights I've really struggled to solo are the 7* 3x hyper monster quests- I was always running out of time on the final creature, even when prepared and kitted out purely for offensive power vs the marks. I can take down Aleatron, Ukanlos etc all solo, but those multiple 3x hyper quests are just a bit tough for me, particularly with the time wasted waiting for them to appear.

Agree that time investment makes solo play feel a little too long sometimes- the ideal setup for me is two hunters for the tougher quests. Any more than that and the creature just ends up stun-locked and mounted all the time, with so much healing flying around that a team of competent hunters has to struggle to lose. The flip side of online is that weaker hunters can cause a quest to fail by carting repeatedly, but for the most part teams of four wipe the floor with all but the strongest opposition.

I would like to see a mild concession for hunters taking on hub quests solo though, maybe a mild reduction in enemy health. If you can survive for long enough against a creature to take down 80% of its health (or kill 2/3 monsters and injure the third) without carting three times, the last 20% isn't any more difficult, it's just added repetition and dragging the quest out towards (or over) the half-hour mark. Players playing exclusively online with full teams gain resources and armour pieces at a rate of knots compared to hunters taking on hub quests alone, that then take three times as long, and without the backup of extra targets, extra traps, extra healing etc. I wouldn't want them to make the actual combat any less difficult for single player, just a tiny bit less of a lengthy slog considering how much faster and easier tackling the same quest in multiplayer is.

onionfrog

Which is better for trying to get rathalos rubies, regular rathalos or hyper rathalos?

I need 3 more to max the defense on my Rathalos S armor. I like that the rubies aren't needed to initially create the pieces but I'm kinda annoyed that you need 1 for each to fully upgrade their defense.

redcrayon

Which is better for trying to get rathalos rubies, regular rathalos or hyper rathalos?

I need 3 more to max the defense on my Rathalos S armor. I like that the rubies aren't needed to initially create the pieces but I'm kinda annoyed that you need 1 for each to fully upgrade their defense.
I find the hyper monsters drop their rarest pieces far more often, usually 1 in every 2 hunts or thereabouts for things like Rathalos rubies and Seregios dissenters. I built the full Rathalos S set, maxed to the full, after about ten hunts.

onionfrog

I find the hyper monsters drop their rarest pieces far more often, usually 1 in every 2 hunts or thereabouts for things like Rathalos rubies and Seregios dissenters. I built the full Rathalos S set, maxed to the full, after about ten hunts.
Thanks.

Hyper Rathalos seems like the best option.

I must have just had some bad luck, I did 10 quests earlier and got none. But then I got a ruby each on the next two quests!

spiritfox

I had 3 water orbs drop from 3 hyper mizus in a row. It was great.

Thanks.

Hyper Rathalos seems like the best option.

I must have just had some bad luck, I did 10 quests earlier and got none. But then I got a ruby each on the next two quests!

Don't run hyper for the rare parts.

The carve/cap rewards are no different and quest specific award slots are wasted on those hyper scales and materials.

Luck is just luck

Does anyone want to help me do the Secret Baths quest? I'm on the last one where you fight 3 hyper monsters.

EDIT Finished the quest thanks to two people!

JimPanzer

Anyone tried converting their japanese MHX save to a MHGen save? I know there's a tool for that. I would love to be able to play with the GAF-community, but don't want to start completely over. Any legal issues if I convert my file?

Verilligo

Anyone tried converting their japanese MHX save to a MHGen save? I know there's a tool for that. I would love to be able to play with the GAF-community, but don't want to start completely over. Any legal issues if I convert my file?

Only the typical issues associated with using a third party software to adjust the game in a way unintended by the developer and against their wishes. That sounds dramatically bad, but compared to some of the people I've heard of online, converting your save likely isn't THAT bad. Just be aware of what DLC has been released in NA vs. the larger quantity out in JP, otherwise you might get called out by randoms. I doubt you'd end up banned, given I don't think Capcom even has a system in place for banning.

Just make sure whatever tool you grab is clean. Kaspersky forcefully prevented me from downloading ASS v0.94 due to it being infected with something or other. May have been a false positive given prior versions were fine, but always be suspicious.

CPCunha

You guys awake? Help me out with HR7 quests... early hunts are the best hunts

07-0524-1677-1376

!!

Edit: Thanks Spiritfox for the smooth hunts! 2 Quests down in HR7... long ways to go

jahasaja

[...]

I would like to see a mild concession for hunters taking on hub quests solo though, maybe a mild reduction in enemy health. If you can survive for long enough against a creature to take down 80% of its health (or kill 2/3 monsters and injure the third) without carting three times, the last 20% isn't any more difficult, it's just added repetition and dragging the quest out towards (or over) the half-hour mark. Players playing exclusively online with full teams gain resources and armour pieces at a rate of knots compared to hunters taking on hub quests alone, that then take three times as long, and without the backup of extra targets, extra traps, extra healing etc. I wouldn't want them to make the actual combat any less difficult for single player, just a tiny bit less of a lengthy slog considering how much faster and easier tackling the same quest in multiplayer is.

You hit the nail on the head. I fully agree.

DrArchon

Monster health should scale based on the number of players. Though not simply 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x of course.

I feel like monster health is in a good place for the most part, but if they wanted to make 4 player hunts harder than I would suggest tweaking monster stun values so they don't get permanently locked down. It's incredibly easy to keep a monster in one place and not attacking, and that's just with normal attacks and not counting mounting/paralysis/traps/etc.

CPCunha

Back at it for that HR unlock...clearing HR7 now.

08-8262-3830-1115

Edit: Jobber again with that helping hand, thanks brother! Killer palico.

Geez using a boomerang cat in the Volcanic Hollow is really taxing. The terrain makes things harder that it needs to be especially when fighting Glavenus.

They just HAD to bring this area back didn't they?

I feel like monster health is in a good place for the most part, but if they wanted to make 4 player hunts harder than I would suggest tweaking monster stun values so they don't get permanently locked down. It's incredibly easy to keep a monster in one place and not attacking, and that's just with normal attacks and not counting mounting/paralysis/traps/etc.

Do you mean staggers? Even with several hammers/CB/etc. monsters only get KOd 2-3 times per hunt in this game realistically.

tuffy

Geez using a boomerang cat in the Volcanic Hollow is really taxing. The terrain makes things harder that it needs to be especially when fighting Glavenus.

They just HAD to bring this area back didn't they?
At least the Sunken Hollow is gone. But between cramped areas like 2 and 3, and the steep slopes in area 8, it's just an unpleasant place to tackle most anything.

So just notice that my first prowler quest in 4-star Village is 'Great Maccao Headbreaker'.

I already know this is going to suck.
At least the Sunken Hollow is gone.
I like the Volcano but the Sunken Hollow was a nice level. Also has best battle music.

EDIT: Managed to break Great Maccao headdress as a prowler after all.

At least the Sunken Hollow is gone. But between cramped areas like 2 and 3, and the steep slopes in area 8, it's just an unpleasant place to tackle most anything.
I will admit one Hollow is better than two. Which reminds me how underused the Sunken Hollow really was in 4U. Mid and late game it was mostly, if not always, Volcanic over the Sunken Hollow for quests which annoyed me because what's the point of having both if we're primarily going to go to one?

DrArchon

Finally have my first full HR set and weapon. Decided to go with Narga S because I adored evade extend back in 4U and it's painfully easy to get evasion +2 and crit eye +2, not that I really need the extra affinity seeing as I'm also using the Narga LS. With any luck that'll last me for most of HR, and I won't have to farm normal Narga ever again.

...of completing HR 7, so I can finally hunt Hellblade 9-10!

Need to Slay Nakarkos, need some help with this :/

Hub 48-7737-2915-8298

Gaffers are the best players of players, help!

Edit: Full

Edit edit: 1 spot left

Edit edit edit: full

tamminen

So Im in this full party doing HR4 key quests and we agree on taking turns for the urgent. One player dies on Plesioth and quits. Come on really? Why is carting such a taboo online? I noticed this back in 3U and its still there apparently. I cart sometimes and I dont waste time explaining it. I got 1shot by Plesioths water gun once cause that grass area can be a bitch for a gunner sometimes when you dont get a clear vision of which way hes looking at. I learned from my mistake and took the meal that lets you live off fatal damage once.

I really love online but sometimes people are just dumb or greedy. Seen it a dozen times where people want to take turns on urgents and the first person getting the quest done leaves right away. Im fine if you cant stay but come on you dont have to lie youre gonna stay till everybody gets it.

redcrayon

So Im in this full party doing HR4 key quests and we agree on taking turns for the urgent. One player dies on Plesioth and quits. Come on really? Why is carting such a taboo online? I noticed this back in 3U and its still there apparently. I cart sometimes and I dont waste time explaining it. I got 1shot by Plesioths water gun once cause that grass area can be a bitch for a gunner sometimes when you dont get a clear vision of which way hes looking at. I learned from my mistake and took the meal that lets you live off fatal damage once.

I really love online but sometimes people are just dumb or greedy. Seen it a dozen times where people want to take turns on urgents and the first person getting the quest done leaves right away. Im fine if you cant stay but come on you dont have to lie youre gonna stay till everybody gets it.
Sometimes I think people's fragile egos can't deal with other players seeing them as anything less than perfect. Sometimes I think it's fear that means they quit because they think the host will boot them. Both are probably because they are the type of player who would happily look down on others for the same reason.

Unless I have to drop the game because parenting stuff, I always say 'last one for me' if I know I have to leave in the next 10 minutes or so. It's so annoying to help others for 45 mins then have everyone just disappear without a word, even 'thanks for hunting!' or 'g2g' or some such shoutout seems like a decent enough quick sign off if you've shared three or four quests with someone, it takes one click. If it's one or two quests and the turnover in the room is high I don't mind so much, but when it's a player I've helped shepherd through a series of tough or lengthy quests, you'd think a quick 'see ya' or whatever would be polite.

Hunts with friends (or at least fellow forumites) are best hunts though. I'll be around to help people tomorrow night around 8pm UK time for an hour or two if anyone needs a hand.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I really dont like the new upgrade system.
FWIW I love being able to upgrade armors with monster mats instead of armor sphere once in a while.

BTW finally switched from Adept CB to Aerial DB. Last time I played Dual Blades was in 3U, the new spin moves is such an improvement, love it. My new rule is to switch weapons once I get to 100 use of the current one on my guild card, after DB I'll probably try Long Blade again.

Sometimes I think people's fragile egos can't deal with other players seeing them as anything less than perfect. Sometimes I think it's fear that means they quit because they think the host will boot them. Both are probably because they are the type of player who would happily look down on others for the same reason.

Unless I have to drop the game because parenting stuff, I always say 'last one for me' if I know I have to leave in the next 10 minutes or so. It's so annoying to help others for 45 mins then have everyone just disappear without a word, even 'thanks for hunting!' or 'g2g' or some such shoutout seems like a decent enough quick sign off if you've shared three or four quests with someone, it takes one click. If it's one or two quests and the turnover in the room is high I don't mind so much, but when it's a player I've helped shepherd through a series of tough or lengthy quests, you'd think a quick 'see ya' or whatever would be polite.

Hunts with friends (or at least fellow forumites) are best hunts though. I'll be around to help people tomorrow night around 8pm UK time for an hour or two if anyone needs a hand.
Urgents (the Plesioth one in particular it seems) bring out the worst in people, I really don't mind waiting for my turn but having quitters agravates me. Had one hunt where we started it at 3 : me, another blademaster and a cat. Blademaster quits after a cart, I keep going but I notice the cat only did stay underground. I quit right there. Fuck that shit.

spiritfox

Chain Crit vs Tenderizer, which one is better?

HBG BTW.

Edit: Tenderizer is 50%, which is better than Chain Crit at 25-30%, but looking at the shot hitzones for Deviants I see none of them reach 45. Ugh. Now I have to see what monsters I'll be using HBG against and weighing the numbers.

tuffy

Chain Crit vs Tenderizer, which one is better?

HBG BTW.

Edit: Tenderizer is 50%, which is better than Chain Crit at 25-30%, but looking at the shot hitzones for Deviants I see none of them reach 45. Ugh. Now I have to see what monsters I'll be using HBG against and weighing the numbers.
I go with Chain Crit for pierce shot, and Tenderizer for normal shot. Pierce shot generates a ton of hits for Chain Crit to take advantage of, while Tenderizer is a nice boost for monsters with a single exploitable weak point (like Zinogre's horn).

spiritfox

I go with Chain Crit for pierce shot, and Tenderizer for normal shot. Pierce shot generates a ton of hits for Chain Crit to take advantage of, while Tenderizer is a nice boost for monsters with a single exploitable weak point (like Zinogre's horn).

Yo tuffy how many skills do you normally have? I feel like Evade Extender is limiting the amount of skills I can get, but it's so good.

sonny4p

I am currently HR86 and with my mixed set armor...I find the dreadking armor suddenly not as impressive when i first read about it. I thought that was endgame armor.
So is the r series (hyper monsters) the real endgame?

tuffy

Yo tuffy how many skills do you normally have? I feel like Evade Extender is limiting the amount of skills I can get, but it's so good.
I've only been able to activate a measly 3 skills because my charm selection is poor. Gotta have Evade Extender to keep monsters in critical distance, the appropriate physical shot up skill for its 10% boost, and then I've finished up sets with Chain Crit or Tenderizer. On the bright side, I've had enough leeway to take Blademaster helms for a huge defense boost. But I'm going to need to keep delivering coal until some better charms appear in order to work in something like Crit Boost.

Top Bottom