• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

ilium

Has anyone used Mobile Data to play MHgen online yet and can tell me how much it uses? Currently on vacation and can't Connect to the Hotel WiFi with my 3DS.
I think MH4 was about 1MB/Minute?

I've only been able to activate a measly 3 skills because my charm selection is poor. Gotta have Evade Extender to keep monsters in critical distance, the appropriate physical shot up skill for its 10% boost, and then I've finished up sets with Chain Crit or Tenderizer. On the bright side, I've had enough leeway to take Blademaster helms for a huge defense boost. But I'm going to need to keep delivering coal until some better charms appear in order to work in something like Crit Boost.

I've actually decided to go with Shot Booster (Dead Eye) over Evade Extender. For one, it's a good deal easier to gem in since there's a two slot jewel in the game. Beyond that, I find the extended crit range often works better than being more maneuverable since moving still takes time while keeping my butt parked in place doesn't. You trade the ability to move across larger areas faster and being able to adjust position better for the the ability to use a larger number of positions, to be forced to move less often, and being able to give yourself more time to react. It's also nice for Pierce shots since it makes it much easier to have all the hits land in crit distance

Granted, this can at times mean relying on Adept evade run to regain Pierce crit distance, but that's not bad with some practice. It's also probably less useful for Normal shots since you care more about the specific hitzones you're targeting and for a lot of monsters if they're moving or just moved away from you then you're often not seeing the areas you want to shoot.

Mupod

I made a balls-to-the-wall pierce set with CE+1, Pierce Up, Chain Crit and Critical Up. It only works when solo/no cats, but I use it in conjunction with the Daora gun (pierce 1 only so no recoil). For when you absolutely need to kill a Plesioth in 30 seconds.

tuffy

I'll have to see if I can substitute Shot Booster and try some experimenting. Part of the reason I can make Evade Extender work is I have an Evade Dist +6 OO charm as a base so it's not too hard to fit in the rest. I've also been experimenting with the Guns Blazing art. It fills up surprisingly fast (especially against Hyper monsters), lasts quite awhile at level 3, makes it trivial to keep monsters in optimal range, and is just plain fun to use. Though I'm so used to extended roll distance that it's going to feel weird not having it.

I see people still aren't very fond of bombing cats, got kicked from 2 separate rooms just now one exclaiming "No bomb cats" then proceeded to give me the boot. I want to level up my bombing specific cats since they're many levels behind majority of my other cats. Guess I'll just have to level them up in solo. What quests are best suited in terms of leveling up cats?

Hybris

I see people still aren't very fond of bombing cats, got kicked from 2 separate rooms just now one exclaiming "No bomb cats" then proceeded to give me the boot. I want to level up my bombing specific cats since they're many levels behind majority of my other cats. Guess I'll just have to level them up in solo. What quests are best suited in terms of leveling up cats?

Deadeye X since they have relatively low hp. Curious, why do you want to level a bomb cat? Seems pointless. I guess they are fine when you are gunning, but even then, the damage cats put out is not that significant.

Deadeye X since they have relatively low hp. Curious, why do you want to level a bomb cat? Seems pointless. I guess they are fine when you are gunning, but even then, the damage cats put out is not that significant.
Cool now all I have to do is get passed Deadeye I-IX haha. Thanks. Yeah bomb cats aren't the best especially because the bomb skills cost too much support gauge, but I think they're really fun to use...that's about the only reason I have. Also cause I've used every other type besides bomb at least 50 times, wanted to try something new.

saturnine

Setting a trap for lagi
Get sent flying by an attack while he falls in the trap
Manage to get up and throw a tranq bomb
Second throw interrupted by a fucking banhabra
Immediately eat an attack, get stunned, cart

yeah fuck you too mh :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Setting a trap for lagi
Get sent flying by an attack while he falls in the trap
Manage to get up and throw a tranq bomb
Second throw interrupted by a fucking banhabra
Immediately eat an attack, get stunned, cart

yeah fuck you too mh :/

Holy shit, like everything that could possibly go wrong in that situation went horribly wrong. The only way it could get worse is if that was your third cart.

Has anyone used Mobile Data to play MHgen online yet and can tell me how much it uses? Currently on vacation and can't Connect to the Hotel WiFi with my 3DS.
I think MH4 was about 1MB/Minute?

I tried once, MHGen consumed 30 MB per hour for 4-player online runs of Sakura charm farming where I hosted the room and most of the quests. Maybe boss monsters add some data though idk.

DrArchon

Do kelbi's not need their livers? you carve them and they just get up and run away.

Same with raw meat. Having Kelbis run off after you knock them out is a weird decision from Capcom. It's not like they're above letting the player kill beautiful monsters (otherwise they wouldn't keep using Kirin in their games), so I don't get why the Kelbis are so special.

CPCunha

let's try this again... last 2 HR7 quests before the bone dragon... Help me out fellow hunters.

30-6747-3708-2903

!!

Edit: Hell, didn't noticed Prodys post! i'll try and join

katagai

Anyone have any suggestions/tips for Dreadqueen 6? I've been duoing with a friend and we were able to beat 1-5 with little trouble, but this just seems impossible for us. Out of the 3-4 tries we done, we've beaten only one rathian, and that was at the cost of all our potions. I tried practicing as a palico and was able to kill one, but it took me 40 minutes.

I mainly use adept SnS (because I'm not confident in my ability to dodge without it) and my friend only uses adept bow. Should I be looking into using a different weapon against her?

Not sure if this will help but my current gearset:

Verdant Rapier Lv4 / Viper Bite Lv4
Ceanataur S set Lv6

Critical Eye +3, Razor Sharp, Negate Poison (only using this to help against Dreadqueen, Attack Up S otherwise)

Cerity

Anyone have thoughts on a snowbaron armor set for someone who's settled into Aerial style?

Not that great TBH, I really would spend the time farming something else. Evade Dist only helps a bit, just pop a (mega) dash juice instead spending points on stam recov up and rec speed has never really been worth it.

Not that hard to make a mixed vault/mounting set, my current aerial DS set is mount, vault and elemental up.

ilium

I tried once, MHGen consumed 30 MB per hour for 4-player online runs of Sakura charm farming where I hosted the room and most of the quests. Maybe boss monsters add some data though idk.

Thanks for the heads up! Did a couple hunts yesterday and Data usage seems pretty low so that's good, Sakura farming is so boring solo..

DrArchon

Just hit HR4. With this being my first MH what should I be prepared for?

The biggest thing is the you don't start at the starting area most of the time and you don't get free items at the start, so make sure you bring things like whetstones and well-done steaks. You also won't have a map most of the time, so you better know the layout of the regions.

Other than that HR is like LR except everything does more damage.

Anyone have tips for Barrage of Blue and Seeing Red? These seem like they will be pretty tough just due to having 3 monsters to kill, but I haven't tried them yet.

Boney

Banned
Anyone have tips for Barrage of Blue and Seeing Red? These seem like they will be pretty tough just due to having 3 monsters to kill, but I haven't tried them yet.

they come out one at a time and their hp isn't that high due to it being a multiple monsters quest. It's also in the Arena so you're not wasting time following them around and you can prep up between monsters. Bring trap tools and thunder bugs for a pair of extra traps and go for it.

Anyone have any suggestions/tips for Dreadqueen 6? I've been duoing with a friend and we were able to beat 1-5 with little trouble, but this just seems impossible for us. Out of the 3-4 tries we done, we've beaten only one rathian, and that was at the cost of all our potions. I tried practicing as a palico and was able to kill one, but it took me 40 minutes.

I mainly use adept SnS (because I'm not confident in my ability to dodge without it) and my friend only uses adept bow. Should I be looking into using a different weapon against her?

Ceanataur S set Lv6

Critical Eye +3, Razor Sharp, Negate Poison (only using this to help against Dreadqueen, Attack Up S otherwise)

Bring Honey to combine with the potions you have on you for extra healing. You can even go for the overkill hoarding and bring herbs and blue mushrooms with you and no way you're running out of hp. Inmunizers are also handy for some extra healing since it recovers the red hp fast enough so you don't have to stop and heal and keep on the offensive.

tuffy

As I recall, those quests bring out two monsters at once in the arena but the third one spawns only after one of the first two are dead. So use the switches to bring up the gate and separate the monsters in order to fight one-on-one. When in doubt, err on the side of putting both monsters on the opposite end of the arena rather than trapping yourself with both in a small area.

Just hit HR4. With this being my first MH what should I be prepared for?

As stated above, you need to be prepared with supplies because you won't be given them for free (They show up eventually, but it's random when and there's a good chance you won't be around camp when it happens) and you're dumping into a random area.

Expect things to do a lot more damage, especially when you're first starting and haven't had a chance to improve your armour beyond Low rank stats/pieces. It's a good idea to find some High rank (They have S at the end of their names) armour fairly quickly since they tend to have better/more skills and will give much better defense.

All gather, carve, shiny, and reward (Break/capture/(sub)quest) items are now on different tables with higher rank stuff. These are needed to make/upgrade weapons/armour to High rank levels as well as to make many of the better decorations and some of the combinations. As a result, you'll often want to gather from spots and carve from monsters you previously stopped caring about since you can get new things from them.

Also: Buy a Powercharm (from the hub shop. It never goes on sale, for the record) as soon as you can and always bring it with you. You get a +6 boost to attack just by carrying it. Eventually you'll be able to upgrade it to a Powertalon with a Deviljho Talon, which gives +9 and stacks with the charm (so you'll need to buy a second). This free damage and it adds up. The Armorcharm is less important and is more a personal choice, but it's free defense if you can afford it and have space to carry it.

Not that great TBH, I really would spend the time farming something else. Evade Dist only helps a bit, just pop a (mega) dash juice instead spending points on stam recov up and rec speed has never really been worth it.

Not that hard to make a mixed vault/mounting set, my current aerial DS set is mount, vault and elemental up.

Thanks, I was working on a Dreadking set and was hesitant when I got the basics together and didn't like the way it looked so I started searching for other more aesthetically pleasing options.

they come out one at a time and their hp isn't that high due to it being a multiple monsters quest. It's also in the Arena so you're not wasting time following them around and you can prep up between monsters. Bring trap tools and thunder bugs for a pair of extra traps and go for it.

As I recall, those quests bring out two monsters at once in the arena but the third one spawns only after one of the first two are dead. So use the switches to bring up the gate and separate the monsters in order to fight one-on-one. When in doubt, err on the side of putting both monsters on the opposite end of the arena rather than trapping yourself with both in a small area.

Oh nice, I was assuming HR and all at once, but that sounds more manageable. I might give them a shot tonight. Thanks.

I've pretty much plowed through the village quests but for some reason I got to Brachy last night and he stomped me all over the place. (I've never fought him before)

I've been using the Jaggi/Bulldrome set for a while now, and not really had any issues. Is it time for an upgrade?

DrArchon

I've pretty much plowed through the village quests but for some reason I got to Brachy last night and he stomped me all over the place. (I've never fought him before)

I've been using the Jaggi/Bulldrome set for a while now, and not really had any issues. Is it time for an upgrade?

If you're at Brachi then you can do way better than the Jaggi/Bulldrome set. It's piss easy to get Atk Up L on a full set of Rathalos armor with a semi-decent charm and it comes with Tenderizer for even more damage.

Tom_Cody

Finally unlocked my HR last night and I'm already feeling a little burned out. There is an Akantor mixed-set I want to craft but I will need to get up to HR60 to do that (I'm at HR42).

Any tips on goals for this point in the game? I'm think I either need to pick up a new weapon (I've been Striker Lance up through this point) or go deep into deviant hunting.

On that topic, what it the etiquette for deviant progression? I've done a handful of deviant hunts, but it is my understanding that each deviant level progresses like an urgent, meaning each player has to put it up themselves in order to unlock their next level. Is this correct? How does this play-out in deviant rooms? Is it as cutthroat as HR-urgents where players scramble to put up their own urgent and then leave after they're done?

Syril

Same with raw meat. Having Kelbis run off after you knock them out is a weird decision from Capcom. It's not like they're above letting the player kill beautiful monsters (otherwise they wouldn't keep using Kirin in their games), so I don't get why the Kelbis are so special.
They censored it outside of Japan likely because killing them to carve off Kelbi Horns to make Ancient Potions is a bit too tastelessly on the nose to what happens with endangered species in real life in certain regions.

tuffy

On that topic, what it the etiquette for deviant progression? I've done a handful of deviant hunts, but it is my understanding that each deviant level progresses like an urgent, meaning each player has to put it up themselves in order to unlock their next level. Is this correct? How does this play-out in deviant rooms? Is it as cutthroat as HR-urgents where players scramble to put up their own urgent and then leave after they're done?
I don't know how it plays out with randoms, but since everybody who completes the Deviant quest gets needed tickets, there's no big push for everybody to rank up their Deviant quest levels at the same time. Having at least one person that can post a Deviant quest at a given level is sufficient for farming purposes.

Tom_Cody

I don't know how it plays out with randoms, but since everybody who completes the Deviant quest gets needed tickets, there's no big push for everybody to rank up their Deviant quest levels at the same time. Having at least one person that can post a Deviant quest at a given level is sufficient for farming purposes.
That makes sense.

DrArchon

They censored it outside of Japan likely because killing them to carve off Kelbi Horns to make Ancient Potions is a bit too tastelessly on the nose to what happens with endangered species in real life in certain regions.

Huh, I never made any connection like that but I can see the resemblance. That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it and the problem of having Kelbis run off without their livers is certainly less important than anyone getting any funny ideas that traditional medicines made from endangered animal parts are OK to buy/use.

For what it's worth I find killing something like a Kirin to be far worse than killing a Kelbi, because that actually does come across like some super rare endangered animal.

Ceanataur S set Lv6

If you don't mind building a weapon specifically for it, the poison fungasax Hunting Horn at high rank has negate abnormal status, and stops dreadqueen from inflicting poison, which should simplify the fight a lot.

Note that the song only prevents poison from being applied and doesn't remove it if its already there, so make sure the song is up before fighting and stays up during the fight.

taybul

The struggle is real. Only had this for about a week and have only been able to play maybe 30 mins/day and I just now got a decent CB with green sharpness. At this rate I'll get to HR once MHXU (or whatever it will be called) comes out.

CPCunha

Same here man, unlocked my HR last night... tried to fight hyper tetsu and got DESTROYED... whats the natural progression here? Hypers first or should i got Deviants? Need hyper parts for all my equipment...

Ogodei

I've decided my endgame armor will be EX Rathian, which needs me to get all the way up to HR 7 and gather 5 EX Rathalos tickets. The amusing part being that's all i need from the Hyper monsters for that armor, and can just farm regular old high-rank Rathian for the rest of it.

Guard Up, Guard +2, and Guts (less essential but cool). It's a Lancer's dream.

Edit: Currently HR5, focusing on getting my weapons upgraded before going after the keys to get to HR6. Right now i need 14 more pieces of Carbalite, a Nibelsnarf Scalp, two Gendrome Fang + (got the HR5 Najarala parts, needed to go back to 4 for this) and i'll be able to gun for HR6.

tuffy

Same here man, unlocked my HR last night... tried to fight hyper tetsu and got DESTROYED... whats the natural progression here? Hypers first or should i got Deviants? Need hyper parts for all my equipment...
I think the general idea is that players go from high rank to Hypers, then on to Deviants. A lot of high rank gear needs Hyper parts for the final upgrades whereas Deviant items are off on their own lines and seem like endgame equipment.

CPCunha

I think the general idea is that players go from high rank to Hypers, then on to Deviants. A lot of high rank gear needs Hyper parts for the final upgrades whereas Deviant items are off on their own lines and seem like endgame equipment.

Cool, Hyper farming it is... i'll be on for some hunts in a bit, i'll post room dets.

Edit: 56-4015-9131-7637
Hyper monster quests...great way to start that pesky R-armor quest chain!

Akiller

Hello guys, need some advice, this is my 1st MH and I'm clueless about set/weapon features etc

I've just unlocked low rank 3*** missions, whats a Good set to farm right now? I use Long Sword and my current set is the Tetsucapra one ( with some parts upgraded thanks to armor spheres).

Top Bottom