• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Hello guys, need some advice, this is my 1st MH and I'm clueless about set/weapon features etc

I've just unlocked low rank 3*** missions, whats a Good set to farm right now? I use Long Sword and my current set is the Tetsucapra one ( with some parts upgraded thanks to armor spheres).

That set is fine for now. The Ratholos set when you get to 5* is pretty good for LS. Also, I'd recommend trying to build this long sword when you get to 4*: http://mhgen.kiranico.com/longsword/hidden-saber. Upgrade the Iron Katana to Level 4 then use Nargacuga parts to build and upgrade that.

Akiller

That set is fine for now. The Ratholos set when you get to 5* is pretty good for LS. Also, I'd recommend trying to build this long sword when you get to 4*: http://mhgen.kiranico.com/longsword/hidden-saber. Upgrade the Iron Katana to Level 4 then use Nargacuga parts to build and upgrade that.

Thank you very much!
I see 3* has Rathalos too, i can try farming him now or is the 5* one different?

My current LS is the Rathian one but i Guess i'll start preparing the sword you linked me about.

Heroman

Banned
Thank you very much!
I see 3* has Rathalos too, i can try farming him now or is the 5* one different?

My current LS is the Rathian one but i Guess i'll start preparing the sword you linked me about.
The Guildhall rath has more health than the village Rath.

KdylanR92

How come as soon as the ThunderLord Zinorge quest starts everyone just forgets how to play the game and carts 3 times within ten minutes.

We just farmed hellblade with no troubles....

cheesekao

How come as soon as the ThunderLord Zinorge quest starts everyone just forgets how to play the game and carts 3 times within ten minutes.

We just farmed hellblade with no troubles....
That's because people aren't used to his moveset. He has combo strings in several of his attacks that used to leave his normal version vulnerable i.e. He can now follow up his jumping back slam bomb with his spinning tail swipe. That and also because he's tougher than Hellblade IMO.

Cerity

Farming kirin for it's azurehorns, poor dudes joining our room lol. It seems like a lot of people haven't fought it before.

The biggest thing is the you don't start at the starting area most of the time and you don't get free items at the start, so make sure you bring things like whetstones and well-done steaks. You also won't have a map most of the time, so you better know the layout of the regions.

Other than that HR is like LR except everything does more damage.

As stated above, you need to be prepared with supplies because you won't be given them for free (They show up eventually, but it's random when and there's a good chance you won't be around camp when it happens) and you're dumping into a random area.

Expect things to do a lot more damage, especially when you're first starting and haven't had a chance to improve your armour beyond Low rank stats/pieces. It's a good idea to find some High rank (They have S at the end of their names) armour fairly quickly since they tend to have better/more skills and will give much better defense.

All gather, carve, shiny, and reward (Break/capture/(sub)quest) items are now on different tables with higher rank stuff. These are needed to make/upgrade weapons/armour to High rank levels as well as to make many of the better decorations and some of the combinations. As a result, you'll often want to gather from spots and carve from monsters you previously stopped caring about since you can get new things from them.

Also: Buy a Powercharm (from the hub shop. It never goes on sale, for the record) as soon as you can and always bring it with you. You get a +6 boost to attack just by carrying it. Eventually you'll be able to upgrade it to a Powertalon with a Deviljho Talon, which gives +9 and stacks with the charm (so you'll need to buy a second). This free damage and it adds up. The Armorcharm is less important and is more a personal choice, but it's free defense if you can afford it and have space to carry it.

Thanks for these. Really appreciate this. Currently rocking a late low rank set (Ceanataur + Rathalos) with Aksa Switch Axe. Any beginner friendly set I can farm for?

sonny4p

Question : I am HR 87 and i unlocked dreadking rathalos level 4 in my own game.When i am online to join others in their room we've beaten up to level 6. When I tried to join in level 7 the game says that i dont have the requirements. What are the requirements? I ve googled but cant find an answer.

Question : I am HR 87 and i unlocked dreadking rathalos level 4 in my own game.When i am online to join others in their room we've beaten up to level 6. When I tried to join in level 7 the game says that i dont have the requirements. What are the requirements? I ve googled but cant find an answer.

It could be a "no items" quest.
So you need to deposit all your items before you can accept the quest.
I'm basing this off of the other lvl 7 deviants I have fought, so I could be wrong.

sonny4p

It could be a "no items" quest.
So you need to deposit all your items before you can accept the quest.
I'm basing this off of the other lvl 7 deviants I have fought, so I could be wrong.

You might be right becuz i never read the quest info...doh!!..i will check...thanks!!!

What should they (I) do? :D

You can equip a set that gives mind's eye (fencing), Glavenus and Garuga S have it. +10 mind's eye makes it so that your weapons don't deflect.

I personally like using the switch axe's sword mode, which inherently has mind's eye.

Sword and Shield can use mind's eye oil.

katagai

Bring Honey to combine with the potions you have on you for extra healing. You can even go for the overkill hoarding and bring herbs and blue mushrooms with you and no way you're running out of hp. Inmunizers are also handy for some extra healing since it recovers the red hp fast enough so you don't have to stop and heal and keep on the offensive.

If you don't mind building a weapon specifically for it, the poison fungasax Hunting Horn at high rank has negate abnormal status, and stops dreadqueen from inflicting poison, which should simplify the fight a lot.

Note that the song only prevents poison from being applied and doesn't remove it if its already there, so make sure the song is up before fighting and stays up during the fight.

Thanks for the suggestions, I loaded up on healing items and went with the poison fungasax and we managed to beat it after 6 hours worth of attempts. Now to beat it two more times for the rest of my tickets.

redcrayon

When do you get to upgrade to a Powertalon? I'm HR 47 and nothing about its come up yet. Am I missing something?
It's a combination of a power charm and a Deviljho talon, you can make it yourself. Put your power charm in your item box and you'll
even see the combo ingredients in your combo list with ??????? as the result.

Thanks for the suggestions, I loaded up on healing items and went with the poison fungasax and we managed to beat it after 6 hours worth of attempts. Now to beat it two more times for the rest of my tickets.

Congrats! The main problem with the poison fungasax is that its raw isn't too high and poison is pretty bad against dreadqueen, so you are really reliant on teammates for dps.

Heroman

Banned
I bought Freedom Unite for my Vita a couple years ago but didn't get far at all. I played the Generations demo, felt it looked and felt a lot better than on the Vita and bought it on a whim. Going through the training quests right now and am having a blast. Can't wait to finish all of the weapon training so I can see what one works for me

Greatsword is all you need.

It's a combination of a power charm and a Deviljho talon, you can make it yourself. Put your power charm in your item box and you'll
even see the combo ingredients in your combo list with ??????? as the result.

Thanks for that reminder! I forgot to do it. Also, you can put the talons in your pouch or whatever it is called and combine there.

Game has become nicely more challenging as expected in HR7 (sp), decided to farm HR7 Shagaru for now as a relatively easy way to grab Commendation Gs to power up some weapons. And returned to Great Swords to speed up completion times, got right back into the groove with dodges (not much of that with GL) and well-positioned charged strikes. Still nothing like having a monster turn around right into a fully charged GS slam. Plus tails dropping everywhere now.

upandaway

Blagonga is such a pain to fight. Maybe it's because I'm lancing but dang it dude please stop jumping around so much. Took me like 15 minutes and I landed all my arts

onionfrog

I'm working on completing all village quests.

Man there are a lot of boring gathering and hunt 10-20 small monsters quests!

This hayabusa feather had better be worth it!
Blagonga is such a pain to fight. Maybe it's because I'm lancing but dang it dude please stop jumping around so much. Took me like 15 minutes and I landed all my arts
I don't think you did anything wrong. Blagonga never seems to stop jumping around all over the damn place.

brau

whats this Hayabusa feather all about?

I decided to do all quests in village first. Missing some collectathon missions, and the prowler quests. But most of them are fully completed. Maybe i should go back and finish that up.

Beats

whats this Hayabusa feather all about?

I decided to do all quests in village first. Missing some collectathon missions, and the prowler quests. But most of them are fully completed. Maybe i should go back and finish that up.

It's a helm that gives Expert+15(Critical Eye+2). You need to do all the village quests outside of the Advanced and Prowler quests iirc.

Made a pretty good charm farm Crystalbeard mixset. It has Crystalbeard Soul (obviously), Good Luck, Gathering +1, Trump Card, and Evasion +1 (came with the talisman). Time to do some runs!

Made a pretty good charm farm Crystalbeard mixset. It has Crystalbeard Soul (obviously), Good Luck, Gathering +1, Trump Card, and Evasion +1 (came with the talisman). Time to do some runs!

Not sure what you're doing. Full Crystalbeard armor & any 3-slot weapon & the Gathering+10 talisman you were given in Village should grant you: Great Luck, Gathering +2, Trump Card, Crystalbeard Soul.

PokéKong

I am quite baffled that they kept Frenzy Res as a skill in this game when you will only ever use it for two monsters, it almost seems like a total oversight in design. But it's even taking up useless space in one of the deviant armor sets, which really hurts because Zinogre gear is what I mained in 4U, plus there's not even anything equivalent to my favorite Stygian Zinogre set. Couldn't they have just rolled Frenzy in with other status or element resistance skills??

Beats

PokéKong;215006688 said:
I am quite baffled that they kept Frenzy Res as a skill in this game when you will only ever use it for two monsters, it almost seems like a total oversight in design. But it's even taking up useless space in one of the deviant armor sets, which really hurts because Zinogre gear is what I mained in 4U, plus there's not even anything equivalent to my favorite Stygian Zinogre set. Couldn't they have just rolled Frenzy in with other status or element resistance skills??

Well there's an art called Frenzy Fever that gives yourself the Frenzy Virus and the Frenzy Res skill makes the boost bigger once you overcome it so it can still be sort of useful as a general skill. From what I've read you normally get a 15% affinity boost but with Frenzy Res it goes up to 30%.

saturnine

Reached high rank for the first time and I'm getting dunked on left and right. Managed to make a Rhenoplos S set, but it feels lacking. I'm maining the gunlance, any pro strat I should be aware of?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reached high rank for the first time and I'm getting dunked on left and right. Managed to make a Rhenoplos S set, but it feels lacking. I'm maining the gunlance, any pro strat I should be aware of?

You just gotta get a better set of gear and learn how the monsters changed from low rank is all. It's all about figuring out the monsters.

DrArchon

Never be afraid to just take tons of items on a mission. Bring high potions and normal potions + honey if you have to, plus well done steaks, max whetstones, nullberries, dung bombs, flash bombs, etc.

Other than that, just learn monster tells and be careful.

Not sure what you're doing. Full Crystalbeard armor & any 3-slot weapon & the Gathering+10 talisman you were given in Village should grant you: Great Luck, Gathering +2, Trump Card, Crystalbeard Soul.
Yeah I figured this out before I did any actual runs and changed it to get just that. Haven't gotten any good tali's today, but the abundance is real and so is my wallet lol.

Cerity

Just spend time learning the monsters and accept the fact that you're going to cart a couple times before you get comfortable with them. Watch for tells, timings, patterns, movement as well as general safe zones during monster attacks.

If you really want to put the time in to learning monsters start playing with a greatsword IMO, no other weapon really requires as much knowledge of the monsters moveset. You're going to die a lot, it's going to be frustrating as balls but the satisfaction of being able to play a monster as well as this is amazing.

upandaway

Just spend time learning the monsters and accept the fact that you're going to cart a couple times before you get comfortable with them. Watch for tells, timings, patterns, movement as well as general safe zones during monster attacks.

If you really want to put the time in to learning monsters start playing with a greatsword IMO, no other weapon really requires as much knowledge of the monsters moveset. You're going to die a lot, it's going to be frustrating as balls but the satisfaction of being able to play a monster as well as this is amazing.
Heh, I always do consistently well with a GS actually. Other weapons always go through ups and down in certain */HR/games but GS is always one of the best weapons.

I relied way too much on GS in 4U because my other picks were so lackluster but I'm trying to keep myself off GS this game.

upandaway

We're doing HR2 quests if anyone wants to join in (please with level appropriate weapons though, around 100 with green sharpness)

46-2912-3852-9677 / 1111

edit: Done

Top Bottom