• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love this game so much, but I have such a hard time finding groups online for random hunts. If it's not a deviant or a charm farm, nobody is willing to help. Boo. 4U seemed to be much healthier online. Trying to solo Hub quests is just the worst.

kaioshade

I love this game so much, but I have such a hard time finding groups online for random hunts. If it's not a deviant or a charm farm, nobody is willing to help. Boo. 4U seemed to be much healthier online. Trying to solo Hub quests is just the worst.

If you are free Sunday, i wouldnt mind helping out, im only HR4 though.

spiritfox

Feel free to post rooms here if you want people to join.

onionfrog

Any thoughts on which of these armor setups would be better? I'm using the seregios hammer.

1. Silver Rath Mix
-Critical Eye +2
-Critical Boost
-Weakness Exploit
-Razor Sharp

Or

2. Rathalos S Mix
-Critical Eye +2
-Attack Up Large
-Weakness Exploit

I'm still working on getting the Hayabusa Feather, but looking forward to the possibilities once I get it!

Beats

Any thoughts on which of these armor setups would be better? I'm using the seregios hammer.

1. Silver Rath Mix
-Critical Eye +2
-Critical Boost
-Weakness Exploit
-Razor Sharp

Or

2. Rathalos S Mix
-Critical Eye +2
-Attack Up Large
-Weakness Exploit

I'm still working on getting the Hayabusa Feather, but looking forward to the possibilities once I get it!

(Attack) * (1 + (Affinity * Critical))

First set: (180) * (1 + (0.40 * 0.40)) = 208.8

Second set: (180 + 20) * (1 + (0.40 * 0.25)) = 220

Hitting weak spot:

First set: (180) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 244.8

Second set: (180 + 20) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.25)) = 245

I'm assuming you're using the Qadar Sedition. The second set wins out, but not by much when hitting a weak point.

Hitting weak spot:

First set: (180) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 244.8

Second set: (180 + 20) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.25)) = 245

I'm assuming you're using the Qadar Sedition. The second set wins out, but not by much when hitting a weak point.

That's true without any other boosts, but with High rank you should pretty much always have a Powercharm and Powertalon, along with eating for attack and, at minimum, Mega Demondrugs. Once you reach that you end up with the first set being slightly stronger against .45+ hitzones while having the bonus of Razor Sharp. Not going to bother with situations where Weakness Exploit doesn't activate since the second set still wins there easily.

First set: (180 + 6 (charm) + 9 (talon) + 7 (Attack L meal) +7 (Drugs)) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 284.24

Second set: (200 + 6 (charm) + 9 (talon) + 7 (Attack L meal) +7 (Drugs)) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 280.525

So basically if the head of the target is .45+ then the first set is somewhat better. As a result, I'd actually favour the first set over the second, as for most monsters you're going to be triggering Weakness Exploit naturally while doing your hammer thing.

Caim

If you still need help just post a room up here. I'm always down to help anyone.

KdylanR92

That 6 star "Out of the Fry pan" quest was rough, took me 3 tries.

Killed the Deviljho in 14min on the last run that's probably why I beat it because the Tigrex beat my face in up until the 35min mark where i killed him and Nargacuga wasn't a problem.

Took me 42min total, great quest reminded me of The Mark of Heroes quest in MH3U.

and i'm still stuck at HR6:[

DrArchon

I think Gammoth is my favourite new monster, it is so good to hunt it in groups.

I adore its design, but in groups any fight just turns into total chaos. Everyone just runs around its legs and just mashes buttons until it dies. The fights aren't as nuanced as the ones with any of the other new monsters (except Narkarkos I guess).

I'm also disappointed in all of Gammoth's gear. The designs are all stellar but why would I use any of the Gammoth weapons over stuff like the Tigrex weapons? When it comes to raw power there are better weapons and when it comes to Ice damage there are also better weapons.

onionfrog

That's true without any other boosts, but with High rank you should pretty much always have a Powercharm and Powertalon, along with eating for attack and, at minimum, Mega Demondrugs. Once you reach that you end up with the first set being slightly stronger against .45+ hitzones while having the bonus of Razor Sharp. Not going to bother with situations where Weakness Exploit doesn't activate since the second set still wins there easily.

First set: (180 + 6 (charm) + 9 (talon) + 7 (Attack L meal) +7 (Drugs)) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 284.24

Second set: (200 + 6 (charm) + 9 (talon) + 7 (Attack L meal) +7 (Drugs)) * (1 + (0.90 * 0.40)) = 280.525

So basically if the head of the target is .45+ then the first set is somewhat better. As a result, I'd actually favour the first set over the second, as for most monsters you're going to be triggering Weakness Exploit naturally while doing your hammer thing.
Thanks for the detailed breakdowns guys.

I think I'll go for the second set for now. Partially because I've already maxed defense on some of the pieces. Whereas with silver Rath I'd need to do a ton of farming to make the set.

NSESN

I adore its design, but in groups any fight just turns into total chaos. Everyone just runs around its legs and just mashes buttons until it dies. The fights aren't as nuanced as the ones with any of the other new monsters (except Narkarkos I guess).

I'm also disappointed in all of Gammoth's gear. The designs are all stellar but why would I use any of the Gammoth weapons over stuff like the Tigrex weapons? When it comes to raw power there are better weapons and when it comes to Ice damage there are also better weapons.
I just like it doesn't jump around.
Astalos is very boring to me because of this. I still have to beat mizutsune and glavenus online but i didn't like them that much solo.
And there is the fact i am still low rank, my opinion of many monsters changed in 4u after playing high and g ranks.

Edut: btw i like the name dinovaldo more, why change it?

Dreavus

Just started this today! Got a few gathering quests down and that's it. Interested in trying out some of the new hunting styles.

Heroman

Banned

Everyone knows looking slyish is the most important part of MH

Beats

Starting to make the rest of the rapid pierce elemental light bowguns. These things are really powerful on some monsters. Too bad the fire one needs Hyper Silver Rathalos/Gold Rathian which isn't out yet. D:

If you're interested in making them here's a list of them:
Elegant Parasol (Pierce Thunder S Lv 2)
Nebula Storm (Pierce Water S Lv 2)
Jawbreaker (Pierce Freeze S Lv 1 and 2)
Gold/Silver Semi-Auto (Pierce Flaming S Lv 2)

upandaway

Think I'll make a light bowgun set for khezu and najarala. Had some trouble with both of them.

Did they change Najarala by the way? I remember in 4U I could get out of its snake grip so easily, like literally just stroll outside. This time even with evasion arts and everything I had such a hard time getting out of it.

upandaway

Oh dang. I completely forgot about those things.

I should probably try some of the other styles huh. So far I've only used guild/striker lance and guild SnS.

ilium

I guess it's time to finally bite the bullet and start working on the Hayabusa Feather and Barrage Earrings. But then again, there's no real motivation for me to go all in on good sets because it's kinda pointless, game is so easy anyway...
Building great sets was so much fun in MH4U and in Gen I'm kinda like: meh...

Starting to make the rest of the rapid pierce elemental light bowguns. These things are really powerful on some monsters. Too bad the fire one needs Hyper Silver Rathalos/Gold Rathian which isn't out yet. D:

If you're interested in making them here's a list of them:
Elegant Parasol (Pierce Thunder S Lv 2)
Nebula Storm (Pierce Water S Lv 2)
Jawbreaker (Pierce Freeze S Lv 1 and 2)
Gold/Silver Semi-Auto (Pierce Flaming S Lv 2)

What armor are you using with those? I keep meaning to try out LBG, but I think I want to unlock toka for my DBs first.

I guess it's time to finally bite the bullet and start working on the Hayabusa Feather and Barrage Earrings. But then again, there's no real motivation for me to go all in on good sets because it's kinda pointless, game is so easy anyway...
Building great sets was so much fun in MH4U and in Gen I'm kinda like: meh...

Yea, I don't know that I'll have the endurance to do the non hunting quests for the feather. I kind of want it for the crazy sets, but I might just settle for toka.

Great hunts, Gaia! I have to go gather the rest of the quest chains. That was the first time I took/gave items like that. Good to know for the future! I really like the balance of the difficult hyper monsters as a blademaster with 1 gunner with me.

I'm pretty sure I killed that Astalos on the down strike of my aerial attack, which looked awesome haha!

My cats have an amazing ability to put down a pitfall trap that makes the monster completely ignore it and fly to the next area.

I'm pretty sure the AI is 'have you been in the same area for 5 minutes? put down trap now'.

CTLance

Obligatory whine: did they further cripple Chameleos and Kushala Daora?

In the LR Hub quests (HR3) they are more or less punching bags. Sure, without a Fire&Dragon/Poison weaponry you will most likely have to make do with only repelling the monsters. Plus, without anti-poison/anti-wind equipment you will probably have to work a little bit harder. But still. By Hr3 you should already have the relevant gear.

Slight exaggeration, but they might as well stand still, roll over and wait for their demise. They apparently didn't adapt them to the Hunting Styles/Arts at all.

Also, one of my cats delivered the coup de grace to the last Daora I hunted. With a Giga Barrel Bombay up the rear end. I ain't even mad. :lol
Lol, every single time.
Ah well, they try. They try.
I love it when they drop a trap at the outermost edge of an area, like right next to a wall, partly floating up in the air next to a cliff edge, or nearly inside an out of bounds/area transition area. Cue collision detection shenanigans because I'm a cheap bastard that wants to use the free trap, no matter what.

But usually they do a moderately good job, even if it's only to alert you that the monster is about to start limping. That's already something.

ilium

Fought Amatsu for the first time and got destroyed! What should I do during the tornado attack when it sucks you in? Superman dive away just before it goes off or attack it so it staggers? Didn't really expect to be OHKOed after seeing that Teo's supernova got nerfed..

Tamamitsune is my favorite new monster in design, but dino is the best new one to fight.

Edit: What's weird about Generations is, is that most people don't share their guild cards anymore after a good hunt.

I was just thinking more about the quest chains and how poorly they are implemented. It's annoying enough when I complete something go to the footbath to get the reward, leave, then have a new text prompt there that I have to return for (sometimes more than once). But even worse, when the quests in the chain are in the hub, I have to complete the hunt, disconnect, go through the above, repeat. I really love the combat and loot and crafting in this game, but so much of the rest of it feels like it was designed to waste time. I just want fun hunts!

/rant

Tamamitsune is my favorite new monster in design, but dino is the best new one to fight.

Edit: What's weird about Generations is, is that most people don't share their guild cards anymore after a good hunt.

I've been trying to do this when I hunt with GAFfers, but I forget sometimes :/

Renewed

People forget to share guild cards as soon as they start hunting together...

Beats

What armor are you using with those? I keep meaning to try out LBG, but I think I want to unlock toka for my DBs first.

Mostly just using mixed armor sets for every element with these skills:
[Element] Atk +2
True Shot Up
Load Up
Bonus Shot

It was a bit time consuming to make those though. You can always just go with a set that has the general Elemental Attack Up like the Kirin, Lagiacrus or Alatreon sets and add True Shot Up with some decorations. The Mitsuaoi set doesn't seem that bad either.

Fought Amatsu for the first time and got destroyed! What should I do during the tornado attack when it sucks you in? Superman dive away just before it goes off or attack it so it staggers? Didn't really expect to be OHKOed after seeing that Teo's supernova got nerfed..

You can do either of those. Getting the timing down on the dive might take a few tries though. There's also bringing a Farcaster and Farcaster materials. I think sitting in one of those ballista things will prevent the suction effect too.

DrArchon

Going through the village quests right now, and holy hell there are a ton of stinkers there. So many "Kill 20 X" and "Collect 1000 Points" quests, not to mention all of the "Kill multiples of this one monster" quests which are just pointless. There's no reason for there to be two different quests that have you kill two Volvidons in both of them.

Also, in advance of the "Kill 3 Niblesnarf" quest, what's the best way to kill Niblesnarfs? It feels like the best way is to just spam Sonic Bombs, but I don't want to burn through a bunch of those just for a village quest. It's just an incredibly annoying monster to fight, especially when it starts spamming it's rush attack where it's untargetable between rushes.

Dumb question(s).

1. Just beat village 6* and then the Fated Four quest but nothing happened. How do I unlock HR for village?

2. If an item (let's say Carbalite ore) can only be found in HR areas, how do I get them single player?

tuffy

Also, in advance of the "Kill 3 Niblesnarf" quest, what's the best way to kill Niblesnarfs? It feels like the best way is to just spam Sonic Bombs, but I don't want to burn through a bunch of those just for a village quest. It's just an incredibly annoying monster to fight, especially when it starts spamming it's rush attack where it's untargetable between rushes.
The rush attack is where you're meant to put down Barrel Bombs for him to swallow. He'll eat one, blow up and, then you can fish him out of the sand for a bunch of free hits. Though Snarf developers a resistance so you'll need more bombs over time.

He is pretty annoying, though.
Dumb question(s).

1. Just beat village 6* and then the Fated Four quest but nothing happened. How do I unlock HR for village?

2. If an item (let's say Carbalite ore) can only be found in HR areas, how do I get them single player?
There is no high rank Village; you'll need to progress on the Hub side in order to get to high rank. But all the high rank harvest tour quests are in the first couple of high rank tiers so it shouldn't take too long to get there.

DrArchon

The rush attack is where you're meant to put down Barrel Bombs for him to swallow. He'll eat one, blow up and, then you can fish him out of the sand for a bunch of free hits. Though Snarf developers a resistance so you'll need more bombs over time.

He is pretty annoying, though.

Ah, I was wondering why the game gives you EZ Barrel Bombs at the start of Niblesnarf quests. I just used them when it was sleeping though. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I get around to the quest.

Just started using Adept with a LBG, when I adept dodge sometimes I run and just can only dodge roll to stop when I really want to reload. Sometimes it lets me reload after a dodge.

Am I crazy or is there some requirements to reload like, am I actually full on ammo and it wont let me. Or do you have to be completely empty to be able to reload after an adept dodge?

Better question is, what are all the options during the run animation after you adept dodged with a LGB?

Top Bottom