• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

DrArchon

Khan blade and Nargacuga sword.

Probably better off keeping the Ceanataur armor then. Both of those weapons really don't benefit from added sharpness levels, but if you've leveled them up to the point where they naturally have little bits of white sharpness on either of them, then Razor Sharp is pretty much the perfect skill.

If you've leveled the Narga blade enough (and if you decide to upgrade the Khanga Edge to the next form with Hyper Seregios parts), then you'll have weapons that actually get no benefit from either Sharpness +1 or +2, because they have max sharpness naturally.

Is the Yian Garuga in the Metroid event supposed to be High Rank or G Rank? I fought HR Garuga in the 6* quests and the Metroid one hit twice as hard it seems. Or is that just what happens to Hyper monsters (it's my first hyper).

Akiller

Probably better off keeping the Ceanataur armor then. Both of those weapons really don't benefit from added sharpness levels, but if you've leveled them up to the point where they naturally have little bits of white sharpness on either of them, then Razor Sharp is pretty much the perfect skill.

If you've leveled the Narga blade enough (and if you decide to upgrade the Khanga Edge to the next form with Hyper Seregios parts), then you'll have weapons that actually get no benefit from either Sharpness +1 or +2, because they have max sharpness naturally.

I see, what about mixed sets?

I can upgrade Khan but i dont have enough money rofl, while for narga blade i need HR Narga parts but there are no Narga only hunt quests on HR it seems.

Anyone able to help with one HR Glavenus kill and maybe a few HR 6 keys?

24-3396-6193-1338
pass: 1111

Man i have just done those, i would have helped you.
Glavenus is so cool

DrArchon

I see, what about mixed sets?

I can upgrade Khan but i dont have enough money rofl, while for narga blade i need HR Narga parts but there are no Narga only hunt quests on HR it seems.

Oh, I have no clue about mixed sets. I've seen guys running around in a mix of Ceanataur and Rathalos to have Atk Up and Razor Sharp, but I seriously doubt that any mixed set you're able to make will be that much better than a full set of whatever you want.

Also, I'm 100% positive that there's a HR Narga only quest, because I remember farming it for a full set and a Narga LS. It may be tied to a line of villager request quests though, I'm not sure. Be sure to talk to villagers to get quests from them.

Quadratic

Man i have just done those, i would have helped you.
Glavenus is so cool

I just took off the password and the room filled up for Glavenus. Finally got enough materials to build the Glavenus S blademaster set. I'll post another room later for HR6 keys if anyone is interested.

Ogodei

Hustling for that EX Rathian S armor (Guard Up, Guard +2, Guts). It requires EX Rathalos Tickets S, which are only gotten from the dual hyper Rath quest, which is pretty obscure (need to be HR8+ and Village 6-star, have beaten 2 Hyper quests, and then clear an Advanced Dual Rath quest offline that you get from the Hell Hunter Bros in Kokoto), so it was hard to find that room and hard to negotiate my way in, since hunters, understandably, don't like beggars, though i did pretty well for myself once i got in. So i got the Tickets, but now Rathian Spike + is thwarting me. I only need three of them, have one, but it's best drop rate is 30% from breaking HR Rathian's back. I did the Yowamushi Pedal event quest, broke the back of all three Rathians, and got zero Spike + from that quest.

Desire Censor ahoy! But at least this is an item i can get from a number of different quests instead of one very obscure one.

Beats

Is the Yian Garuga in the Metroid event supposed to be High Rank or G Rank? I fought HR Garuga in the 6* quests and the Metroid one hit twice as hard it seems. Or is that just what happens to Hyper monsters (it's my first hyper).

It's High Rank but hyper monsters have much more health than regular high rank monsters, deal more damage with body parts that are glowing and never get tired. They can also have slightly delayed or sped up attacks. And the DLC Event Hyper monsters are a bit stronger and have more health than ordinary hypers.

Hi everyone. I'm a monster hunter player from Freedom 2 on PSP. I just recently got back into MH because my coworker plays them. He got 3 of us at work to purchase MHG.

I'll mostly be lurking this thread but I wanted to say hi. I'm super excited to be back into the game. I put over 200 or more hours into Freedom 2 on PSP. In the PSP version I mained the Longsword and Bow. Im going to try the Hunting Horn in Generations.

Akiller

Oh, I have no clue about mixed sets. I've seen guys running around in a mix of Ceanataur and Rathalos to have Atk Up and Razor Sharp, but I seriously doubt that any mixed set you're able to make will be that much better than a full set of whatever you want.

Also, I'm 100% positive that there's a HR Narga only quest, because I remember farming it for a full set and a Narga LS. It may be tied to a line of villager request quests though, I'm not sure. Be sure to talk to villagers to get quests from them.

Got it,tbh i find Ceanataur set a bit ugly, but i wont surely change a good set just because of it rotfl and yeah never talked to villagers so i fear a line of requests is coming.

MrPanic

I found a reddit with some armor suggestions. I've been dubbing for a while now since hitting hr4 what HR armor set I should shoot for, I just want some all purpose armor set that can last me all the way up to the point where I unlock my rank, the buja set served me well through low rank and I want the same experience.

Quadratic

Have a Seregios room open for my HR6 urgent.

Anyone around to help?
Can do turns if people need this too.
Thanks.

58-2784-9358-4506

tuffy

Thanks a lot for the help Tuffy!

I see you're still a HBG main.
Glad I could be of some help!

The bowguns are still the only weapons I'm much good at, but I am trying to get some decent light bowgun sets together for a change. A good status set might be a big help.

onionfrog

I found a reddit with some armor suggestions. I've been dubbing for a while now since hitting hr4 what HR armor set I should shoot for, I just want some all purpose armor set that can last me all the way up to the point where I unlock my rank, the buja set served me well through low rank and I want the same experience.
If you can manage in your low rank gear I'd recommend finding a room where people are farming rathalos.

The rathalos S set has served me well so far, all the way up to hyper monsters in 7*

Alternatively, I did a horrendous looking mixed set for AUL right at the beginning of HR4.

Obituary Vertex S
Kut Ku Mail S
Bulldrome Braces S
Arzuros Faulds S
Hermitaur Greaves S
+ Lots of attack jewel 1 & 2.

DrArchon

If you can manage in your low rank gear I'd recommend finding a room where people are farming rathalos.

The rathalos S set has served me well so far, all the way up to hyper monsters in 7*

I've been rocking the Rathalos S armor for a while now, and I'll second your recommendation. It's a fantastic set for most weapons, so if you're switching between multiple weapon types you won't be required to make a new set for each one. Plus, having 5 slots gives it a nice degree of versatility.

I'd also like to throw in a recommendation for the Garuga S armor, depending on the weapon you're using. With a decent charm you can easily get HG Earplugs on it, and the -10 Gathering doesn't matter if you just use a Palico for gathering missions.

Moondrop

Banned
This DLC is epic for hammer. Booyah set + strider arms + hayabusa feather (which I just obtained) + my attack+8/3slot god charm = AuL + critical eye 2 + stamina recovery + taunt + 5 slots.

With the 5 slots you could go CE3, but also any of the "lesser" skills that give two points per one slot: perception, protection, mushromancer.

I did some number crunching and for hammer AuL/CE2 + a 220 blue is as good or better than going crit boost or extreme blunt. So I'm eyeing the shogun axe or perhaps the duramboros mace. Kind of unfair that hammer gets axes and maces as well. :p

DrArchon

For aerial style, is it worth having both Airborne and Mounting Master? I'm playing more and more aerial IG and I just got a Vault +4 000 charm which will let me have both on my Rathalos S armor. I'm debating having both or trading one of the skills to get AuL.

El Odio

Banned
I picked this back up again this week and did the HR6 Urgent in the village...

NdoIm7.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been very slowly going through the single player.

God this is a slog. Even worse than MH4U which already had a bloated campaign, but at least having a coherent story helped a bit.

MrPanic

I've been rocking the Rathalos S armor for a while now, and I'll second your recommendation. It's a fantastic set for most weapons, so if you're switching between multiple weapon types you won't be required to make a new set for each one. Plus, having 5 slots gives it a nice degree of versatility.

Thanks for the recommendations, this is my new goal now.

DrArchon

God fucking dammit. I got so close to beating Out of the Fry Pan. Beat the Deviljho and Tigrex, but carted for the final time against Narga with less than 5 min on the clock. Probably would've run out of time before that, but you never know.

The only good news is that I carved a Deviljho Gem and got to keep it even though I failed. Very generous of Capcom.

Ricky 7

This game made me realise that Monster Hunter 4 has the best levels in general. Deserted Island from 3 is still my favourite though.

DrArchon

This game made me realise that Monster Hunter 4 has the best levels in general. Deserted Island from 3 is still my favourite though.

The best part about hitting high rank is getting to go to all of the MH4 areas. The areas from the earlier games are pretty awful, both in a visual and level design standpoint.

I mean, in Arctic Ridge you only realistically fight monsters in the top 3 snowy areas, whereas with Frozen Seaway you'll fight in the caves, on the ice on the right side, the middle valley, and places in between. Verdant Hills has a number of superfluous areas that you never fight monsters, but it still has you fight in that tiny ass corridor area where it's impossible to avoid some attacks. And the old Volcano area is just flat and boring. Plus they're all just so boring to look at. Primal Forest and Ancestral Steppe are. much more varied areas visually.

Ogodei

I've been very slowly going through the single player.

God this is a slog. Even worse than MH4U which already had a bloated campaign, but at least having a coherent story helped a bit.

The requests are what make it annoying, you roll along through the key quests and then stop cold while you scrounge around for people to talk to.

El Odio

Banned
I didn't get too far into either MH3 and 4U, only about to the point where I had 3 different areas unlocked in both, but from that I can still agree that the ones in 4 were more fun. Ancestral Steppe's probably my favorite while either marshlands or arctic Ridge are my least favorite.

Tom_Cody

I thought this might be of interest here; S.H. Figuarts (Bandai) is doing Monster Hunter figures. Two of my favorite things have come together. The first one is up for pre-order: Zinogre.

Yqv84u3.jpg

Tamashii MIX - Monster Hunter: Jashin Kakusei Zinogre
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...iestitle_id=237$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/re...ltitle_id=14562$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

Edit: found a video clip of it. It comes with a Switch Axe and Dual Blades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdb9wpyA48

Shengar

For aerial style, is it worth having both Airborne and Mounting Master? I'm playing more and more aerial IG and I just got a Vault +4 000 charm which will let me have both on my Rathalos S armor. I'm debating having both or trading one of the skills to get AuL.
Depends on the weapon and against whom. Aerial can be absolute shit against monster with small frame or tall body like Jho where you can only used their legs to jump. But even then, this still varied among weapon. That's why combined skills of Aitborne and Mounting Master can absolutely wrecked certain monster and easy mounting potentially can give higher damage than AuL once we take our friend frenzied attack when the mount successful.

DrArchon

Depends on the weapon and against whom. Aerial can be absolute shit against monster with small frame or tall body like Jho where you can only used their legs to jump. But even then, this still varied among weapon. That's why combined skills of Aitborne and Mounting Master can absolutely wrecked certain monster and easy mounting potentially can give higher damage than AuL once we take our friend frenzied attack when the mount successful.

I decided to go with both seeing as I already have AuM and I figure that the extra bit of damage from AuL wouldn't be worth giving up either Airborne or Mounting Master. Farmed some Hyper monsters and the combo worked out really well. It's great to get repeated mounts -> knockdowns and then getting easy triple ups or just beating the shit out of them.

And thanks to using IG, I don't need to worry about getting right up in the monster's face to get the opportunity to use aerial attacks. Against Kecha Wacha I was still having some problems landing multiple air attacks, because the forward leap would often overshoot, but against larger monsters it's a godsend.

The Hermit

Akiller

Holy shit, i've completely ignored village quests so i have to start from the 1* ones to reach the Nargacuga HR quest unlocking.Great.

redcrayon

The best part about hitting high rank is getting to go to all of the MH4 areas. The areas from the earlier games are pretty awful, both in a visual and level design standpoint.

I mean, in Arctic Ridge you only realistically fight monsters in the top 3 snowy areas, whereas with Frozen Seaway you'll fight in the caves, on the ice on the right side, the middle valley, and places in between. Verdant Hills has a number of superfluous areas that you never fight monsters, but it still has you fight in that tiny ass corridor area where it's impossible to avoid some attacks. And the old Volcano area is just flat and boring. Plus they're all just so boring to look at. Primal Forest and Ancestral Steppe are. much more varied areas visually.
I'm not sure why they included the old volcano when MH Tri's volcano is more interesting. Same goes for the heavens mount area in MH4, that would have been nicer than the marsh.

Astral

What's the best Greatsword? Or at least a really good one? I'm using the Santoku Reaver right now and I'm not sure if I should upgrade it or use something else.

DrArchon

What's the best Greatsword? Or at least a really good one? I'm using the Santoku Reaver right now and I'm not sure if I should upgrade it or use something else.

The best from what I gather is the fully upgraded Tigrex GS, because it hits white sharpness without Sharpness +2 and still has stupid high attack power. The Tetsu one is alright, especially if you're using blunt. The Uragaan one is also a nice option for blunt builds and it comes with a decent defense buff to boot.

Caim

Not quite sure myself, but Mind's Eye + Blunt Edge with Akantor Broadsword is nice.

I've been playing for about 50 hours now and I'm only on the 4 star story quests. Do I need to do all of the quests? Can I pick the ones I want and do those as long I proceed in the story?

Do I only bother with Hunters Hub quests until after the story?

Sorry if these are silly questions. This is the most I've played one of these games. I absolutely love it.

tuffy

I've been playing for about 50 hours now and I'm only on the 4 star story quests. Do I need to do all of the quests? Can I pick the ones I want and do those as long I proceed in the story?
Certain quests are "key" quests which will unlock the next tier of quests to continue the story, so you don't need to do them all in order to reach the end credits. But if you do complete all the Village quests, it'll unlock a very useful armor piece. So there is some incentive to get them all done eventually.
Do I only bother with Hunters Hub quests until after the story?
Although it's useful to have a good handle on things in the solo-only Village quests before starting the Hunters Hub, you don't necessarily need to finish all the story quests before going there.
Sorry if these are silly questions. This is the most I've played one of these games. I absolutely love it.
I'm glad you're having a good time! Monster Hunter does become something of an addiction once you get into it.

Certain quests are "key" quests which will unlock the next tier of quests to continue the story, so you don't need to do them all in order to reach the end credits. But if you do complete all the Village quests, it'll unlock a very useful armor piece. So there is some incentive to get them all done eventually.

Although it's useful to have a good handle on things in the solo-only Village quests before starting the Hunters Hub, you don't necessarily need to finish all the story quests before going there.

I'm glad you're having a good time! Monster Hunter does become something of an addiction once you get into it.

Thank you for the responses. I think my progress will speed up quite a bit now! I've been doing every single quest, in order.

Top Bottom