• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Time to try the system transfer thingy! :D

R1qsWkm.jpg

Wasn't it supposed to be blue? I preordered from Gamestop and there wasn't a color option.

Faiz

I haven't touched HH in the demo or looked up changes at all, but it was my primary weapon in 3U. Wouldn't Adept be the way to go? Evade skills were always huge for the HH, especially if you were like me and used recitals aggressively.

Its certainly good but I think it's going to depend on the player (and likely even whatever monster you are up against at the time). Adept (Bushido) loses the double notes which I think are going to be really fun to work with.

Gala

I think bows are the ideal first transition from being a fulltime blademaster since you don't need to dive into that ocean of ammo types and combinations. Bows also definitely teach you that 'ranged' in MH is still 'unsafely close to those claws and teeth'.

But as a bowgun user I can definitely recommend reading or watching something to explain ammo types. As a general rule Normal 2 and Pierce 2 will take you pretty far with an HBG, whereas LBG is all about exploiting elemental weaknesses with rapid fire.

Thanks for the tips! I might try out HBG after my next mission

Mupod

Thanks for the tips! I might try out HBG after my next mission

Things to know about HBG -

- You really, really want Evade Extender if at all possible. It takes forever to sheathe and you walk like a Greatsword user, so you get around by rolling everywhere. It's actually pretty fun though.
- Positioning is everything. Start off using Normal 2 and try to stay up close with it. Normal 3 has a weird ricochet mechanic and isn't as straightforward. Pierce 2 is awesome but requires you to put more space between yourself and the monster to be effective, and mostly works well on 'long' enemies like Plesioth.
- Jump attacks reload your gun.
- The major difference between the styles hinges around crouching fire aka siege mode. Aerial and Adept can roll out of it, Striker loses it entirely. Worry about the basics first though.

Finally decide to jump online so I join a random room where people are taking turns and someone posts an astalos urgent

and I faint lol

I'm off to a great start

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Did Gunlances really get a nerf overall? I heard shelling is weaker and attacks are only a little bit stronger in red heat mode compared to standard attacks in 4U?
Sort of, it got more technical and a bit more restrictive in playstyle if you want to maintain damage compared to before.

You now have to manage a heat gauge, which supposedly puts you at -15% of 4U's stab damage in the yellow zone, and +5% of 4U's stab damage while in the red zone. To increase heat you need to do shelling/full burst attacks (which also forces sharpness reduction) constantly. The gauge will constantly decrease while you're not shelling, but you can lock it in for a few minutes by doing a wyvern fire blast. If you overshoot though and heat the gauge past the maximum it'll drop you to the lowest yellow and lock you there for a few minutes as well.

CmdBash

If anyone could confirm, is there any difference in loading times between the retail cart and the eshop version on a quality micro sd card (UHS-3)?

HELP, how do i bunny hop onto and attack dudes in aerial mode? Is there a decent video tutorial out on this? (CB user)

EDIT: NVM google is my friend.

ohlawd

If anyone could confirm, is there any difference in loading times between the retail cart and a quality micro sd card (UHS-3)?
the senior marketing dude in this thread confirmed faster loading times for digital with a good card over physical

ubiblu

If its your first game in the series, then yeah there gonna take some time. But you'll get better as you play more, my first kill on GM was just under 5 minutes with 2 cats.

Have you recruited some cats yet? Also what weapon are you using?

I'm using a long sword (Bone, 90 Attk), and didn't know I could recruit cats? I finally defeated Cephadrome after two attempts (one just timing out at 50 minutes). I assume i'm doing something wrong, because 50 minutes for a boss seems excessive. I have all five souls platinums, so I'm not exactly new to this type of game.

jorgejjvr

I'll be playing late tonight.

Can you jump straight online or have to do single player first?

If so, is the intro long?

Just wondering how soon I can join fellow hunters xD

Kinsei

Banned
I'm using a long sword (Bone, 90 Attk), and didn't know I could recruit cats? I finally defeated Cephadrome after two attempts (one just timing out at 50 minutes). I assume i'm doing something wrong, because 50 minutes for a boss seems excessive. I have all five souls platinums, so I'm not exactly new to this type of game.

You're fully charging your blade, right? When you fully charge that red gauge keep hitting R to do a spirit combo. If the last hit of the spirit combo hits you'll increase your swords power. You need to do this three times to reach your maximum damage.

The Sakura Slash hunter art also powers up your sword.

tuffy

You can go to the online portion right away, as with 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate.

I'll be doing a lot of single player for the first few days though, just to get my gear in order first before hopping into multiplayer.

Ricky 7

Sort of, it got more technical and a bit more restrictive in playstyle if you want to maintain damage compared to before.

You now have to manage a heat gauge, which supposedly puts you at -15% of 4U's stab damage in the yellow zone, and +5% of 4U's stab damage while in the red zone. To increase heat you need to do shelling/full burst attacks (which also forces sharpness reduction) constantly. The gauge will constantly decrease while you're not shelling, but you can lock it in for a few minutes by doing a wyvern fire blast. If you overshoot though and heat the gauge past the maximum it'll drop you to the lowest yellow and lock you there for a few minutes as well.
That's kinda off putting, might switch main my main weapon in this game then.

You can go straight online.

Mupod

Cephadrome was always a fucker - my first timeout back in MHF2. Sonic bombs are a must.

Typically I recommend at least killing the first real baddie until you hop online. By then, you know how to hunt a big hunt and you should be geared decently enough.

Obviously, if this aint your first rodeo, go for it from first minute of game.

jorgejjvr

Typically I recommend at least killing the first real baddie until you hop online. By then, you know how to hunt a big hunt and you should be geared decently enough.

Obviously, if this aint your first rodeo, go for it from first minute of game.

MH4U was my first rodeo, and I became pretty good after 300 or so hours lol

I have played the demo quite a bit for Generations, and I feel more than prepared

So yeah looking forward to jump online =p

ubiblu

You're fully charging your blade, right? When you fully charge that red gauge keep hitting R to do a spirit combo. If the last hit of the spirit combo hits you'll increase your swords power. You need to do this three times to reach your maximum damage.

The Sakura Slash hunter art also powers up your sword.

Yeah...i had no idea about that. I had gotten the bar up to yellow without really paying attention, but that's it. Now i've had a play with the feature and recruited two cats, I should have a better time. Thanks heaps.

Top Bottom