• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

I know that, but they can't release the same looking game. They're gonna have to redo all the assets, take another look at combat mechanics as well as genera gameplay mechanics. This game is like the MH3U/4U remix before moving on to the next generation.

They will be able to reuse a lot of assets. MH3U looked pretty decent on Wii U thanks to 1080p. It's not like Nintendo's next handheld will be ridiculously powerful anyway. It will probably be slightly below the Wii U.

They will be able to reuse a lot of assets. MH3U looked pretty decent on Wii U thanks to 1080p. It's not like Nintendo's next handheld will be ridiculously powerful anyway. It will probably be slightly below the Wii U.

Uhh

Even if they went with basic mass produced components it will SIGNIFICANTLY outperform 3DS I imagine

We forget just how old this hardware is on top of running two screens and rendering the game twice for 3D effect.

If their next handheld goes back to a more streamlined design we could see some truly fantastic performance on modern SOC's

Uhh

Even if they went with basic mass produced components it will SIGNIFICANTLY outperform 3DS I imagine

We forget just how old this hardware is on top of running two screens and rendering the game twice for 3D effect.

If their next handheld goes back to a more streamlined design we could see some truly fantastic performance on modern SOC's

A Wii U is significantly more powerful than a 3DS, so what part of what I said wouldn't match that?

Just saw on reddit
eoJRP86.jpg

Seil

I'm not sure if I like the game flat out telling you to seek outside help. It's like people forgot how to learn by playing.

To be fair, she first starts giving you hints on the HR1 keys, then follows up with that. You're generally not supposed to just know the keys, so...

Comandr

I'm not sure if I like the game flat out telling you to seek outside help. It's like people forgot how to learn by playing.

I think it's just a friendly shout out to Gaijin Hunter, who provides incredible and detailed resources for MH.

Kinsei

Banned
To be fair, she first starts giving you hints on the HR1 keys, then follows up with that. You're generally not supposed to just know the keys, so...

In that case why tell people to go to Gaijin Hunter? You'd think a reference to the wiki or Kiranico would be more appropriate.

I think it's just a friendly shout out to Gaijin Hunter, who provides incredible and detailed resources for MH.

I know who Gaijin Hunter is. He's both helped and hurt the community IMO.

Seil

In that case why tell people to go to Gaijin Hunter? You'd think a reference to the wiki or Kiranico would be more appropriate.

You'd think, but I figure they just wanted to throw in another reference to Gaijin Hunter, because whatever.

There are a number of localization decisions I don't particularly like, this one doesn't bug me as much as some.

Brick

Anyone who is helping people understand and get into a daunting game like MH more is a hero in my book.

Completely agree. I would have completely bounced off of Monster Hunter if it weren't for his videos. Now it's one of my favorite series.

Sylas

I'm like 99.5% certain the majority of players are just gonna go, "Oh, huh," and proceed to ignore that statement. It means absolutely nothing to people that don't know the precise context.

AKA: A shout-out and nice thing to do for a huge member of the community.

Does this game have the Cameo Hunter Armors from MH4U? I.e. Samus' and Link's?
Yep!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge on this.

I bought the last one with my "New!" 3DS, and liked it alright. Gameplay was smooth, graphics solid. But there were so many systems... And while I think I understood them, the first ~6-8hrs consisted of fighting some spider thing that I could never fucking find after the first attack. I just knew I was doing something wrong, and so it never clicked and I shelved it.

I think I'd really like a MH if I got into it; I say that, cause I put about 1500 hours into PSO on the GameCube back in the day, and it's at least similar, from what I understand.

Kinsei

Banned

I bought the last one with my "New!" 3DS, and liked it alright. Gameplay was smooth, graphics solid. But there were so many systems... And while I think I understood them, the first ~6-8hrs consisted of fighting some spider thing that I could never fucking find after the first attack. I just knew I was doing something wrong, and so it never clicked and I shelved it.

I think I'd really like a MH if I got into it; I say that, cause I put about 1500 hours into PSO on the GameCube back in the day, and it's at least similar, from what I understand.

You should have used paint balls. They let you track a monster on the map.

The spider isn't in this game so that's probably a plus for you.

Comandr

Monster Hunter can be intimidating and frustrating if you don't understand the tools you have available to you. For instance, there are a number of items and abilities that allow you to track monsters down. Furthermore, when you lock on a monster, if it leaves the zone, I believe the icon changes to a "?." When you enter a zone that has your monster in it, the lock on icon returns to normal. This at least allows you to zip in and out of the zones quickly while looking for it, instead of combing the land trying to find something unfamiliar. The new Prowler playable character can simply see them on the map at all times. Furthermore, they have unlimited stamina, 9 lives instead of 3, and don't need to use items to gather from the land.

With that in mind, if you were interested in playing, the Prowler mode is a wonderful opportunity to jump in and learn the game. Not only a perfectly viable solo option, you can provide meaningful assistance to other players you might want to play with online.

Sylas

First and foremost, don't be afraid to check out all the weapons. The training missions are kinda iffy but they give you a chance to dick around with each weapon in a "safe" environment.

You aren't meant to choose a single weapon at first, but you'll definitely find one that clicks with you and it'll probably end up being the primary one you use.

This iteration of the game has 4 different styles to choose from, too. I recommend newer players start out with the Guild style, but once you're comfortable definitely check out the other ones. There are also Hunter Arts which are basically super moves. You'll figure'em out pretty quickly.

This game in particular opens up with a lot of missions that are gathering-centric, but they're really meant to force you to get familiar with the first region you'll be playing in.

If you're hunting a specific, large monster--hit it with a paintball! A lot of the earlier missions give them to you for free and once the monster is painted they'll remain on your map for a while; Making it really easy to track them down. If you don't manage to get a paintball on them before they flee--think about where you found them. Then try the areas that have a similar environment to that one. Each monster tends to have a "type," that they like to stick around in. This isn't always true, but it's often true and it gives you a good starting point.

Shengar

I think this game was their last grasp of the old way and older hardware before being forced to overhaul everything. Generarions was the final cash grab before having to move on to NX or whatever is next.

Overhauling the graphic wouldn't be hard nor expensive for Capcom really. The reasons why the keep the assets as it is with some improvement here and there are: 1. Their platform of choice doesn't offers much computing power to keep the game looks prettier while also maintaining the fps at playable level; 2. MH player base doesn't really care much about it as long as the graphic doesn't hinder the gameplay.

And to be honest, while graphics seems not to be their highest priority, they don't neglect it at all. MH3 overhaul the texture and animation of old monsters and seemingly increased the base quality for the newer ones. MHP3rd was advertised to have enhanced graphics over it's predecessors and it does gives us Zinogre, a monster that have detailed textures compared to others. Also graphical enchantment doesn't always mean sharper, better looking textures. Fluid animation should be considered as one and at this area were gameplay actually affected. Capcom have subtly improves their animation in MH over the year. By comparing attack animation between old and new monster, you will know what I'm talking about.

Anyone who is helping people understand and get into a daunting game like MH more is a hero in my book.

If only people not take his word as gospel, he wouldn't hurt some side of the community.

Kinsei

Banned
If only people not take his word as gospel, he wouldn't hurt some side of the community.

He was also on stream with that Arekkz guy where they were trying to rush to the end game so they could get good gear before release in order to carry their viewers. Carriers are just as bad as the ones that are carried IMO.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
He was also on stream with that Arekkz guy where they were trying to rush to the end game so they could get good gear before release in order to carry their viewers. Carriers are just as bad as the ones that are carried IMO.
Let people play how they want

It's weird how this happens in every hard game. Dark Souls co-op has the same issue, though they addressed it somewhat with experimental systems based on character playtime and weapon upgrade level. Maybe something similar would work well here?

Vuze

It's weird how this happens in every hard game. Dark Souls co-op has the same issue, though they addressed it somewhat with experimental systems based on character playtime and weapon upgrade level. Maybe something similar would work well here?
I'd rather have them implement HP/stat scaling for multiplayer quests first. I really dislike playing with more than 2 or 3 player teams and I say that as a rather mediocre player.

Sylas

Who cares? Dark Souls implemented a certain style of co-op because you couldn't really choose who joined your game. You can leave a game with someone who's obviously going to carry you. There's absolutely no repercussion for dropping out.

This is why the online is sometimes bittersweet for me. I don't like being carried or carrying, and it always seems like tricky timing to find at least two people who are around your level. I've felt like a huge jerk every time I've told someone that I'm basically not gonna play with them 'cause they make the game too easy (obviously I'm as cordial as possible). Whether it's on GAF or just randoms, it often feels like I'm behind everyone.

Brick

I genuinely don't understand your mentality here. I watch Gaijin Hunter to get better at the game, because the dude knows way more about it than I do. This simply shortens the time it would take me to become actually effective in multiplayer. How is someone trying to teach the game to someone who wants to learn "bad?"

Why did he hurt the community? I honestly don't know/can't remember.

The only bad thing that I remember happening was custom quests on the front page of Kiranico. That was pretty shitty, in my opinion. But was Gaijin Hunter involved? I don't know.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

How did he hurt the community?
Seems like his videos are attempting to make the game more accessable for those on the fence.

Kinsei

Banned
I genuinely don't understand your mentality here. I watch Gaijin Hunter to get better at the game, because the dude knows way more about it than I do. This simply shortens the time it would take me to become actually effective in multiplayer. How is someone trying to teach the game to someone who wants to learn "bad?"

You misunderstand. By carrying I mean that he goes into other peoples quests with overpowered gear and basically playing the game for them.

I'd rather have them implement HP/stat scaling for multiplayer quests first. I really dislike playing with more than 2 or 3 player teams and I say that as a rather mediocre player.

Capcom is weirdly hesitant to do this in any of their games. Their MMOs are the same way, where going solo/without a full team offers zero benefits.

Reducing endgame boss HP pools to make them manageable for 1v1 would be a big improvement. Along with getting rid of any vestigial elements in the fights (firing cannons or ballistae, defending ships, etc), which never make the fights more fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Capcom is weirdly hesitant to do this in any of their games. Their MMOs are the same way, where going solo/without a full team offers zero benefits.

Reducing endgame boss HP pools to make them manageable for 1v1 would be a big improvement. Along with getting rid of any vestigial elements in the fights (firing cannons or ballistae, defending ships, etc), which never make the fights more fun.
Eh

Caedeus without dragonator or or ballistas sounds miserable although that might be more an indictment of water controls

Brick

You misunderstand. By carrying I mean that he goes into other peoples quests with overpowered gear and basically playing the game for them.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. And while I agree that power leveling is kind of stupid, it's not like he is carrying one person from beginner to high hunter ranks. Showing up for one or two kills for a person wouldn't really negatively effect their understanding of the game or the mechanics. At least, not to any substantial degree.

I see it as if I were to play a quick one-on-one game of basketball with a professional player. Sure, they'd wipe the floor with me, but then again I got to play a round with someone big in that community whose skill I admired, and maybe even picked up a thing or two.

Vuze

Oh idk about the latter, I feel like I'm in the severe minority but I thought the Gomazios fight with the huge canon etc was very intense.
I really enjoyed it, helped quite a bunch of people doing their urgent I imagine haha

But I will agree Nakarkos is absolute trash. It looks silly, its status looks silly and overall it's just blergh. I've literally done it two or three times in over 230h of MHGen.
Weapons and armors being trash as well doesn't help

Top Bottom