• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Quick question, I'll check out gaijinhunter's weapon vids later :

Regarding charge blade (in adept mode dunno if it's relevant to my question), you can no longer combo a shield bash into a super burst?

Letep

MHG new 3DS XL and game are coming today! I'm very excited for this. I think this will be the one to get me hooked.

Also, randomly, how are the Monster Hunter Illustrations books? Is one better than the other?

Shengar

MHG new 3DS XL and game are coming today! I'm very excited for this. I think this will be the one to get me hooked.

Also, randomly, how are the Monster Hunter Illustrations books? Is one better than the other?

No, you should get them all.

ubiblu

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I've been able to take down the Great Maccao and the Gendrome, but wow...are these battles supposed to take like 20-30 minutes? They are like the first two hunts <_<

I've also found that I need to stock up on at least 10 Mega Potions to stand a chance. Am i supposed to be focusing on upgrading my weapons first, or just stumble along with whatever I happen to find?

tuffy

The Mohrans (and Dalamadurs to a lesser extent) are like those Street Fighter stages where you punch the car. They're event fights and a change of pace, but they also tend to play out the same way once one knows what to expect. So they get old pretty fast.

Kinsei

Banned
I dunno, I thought George was kinda fun. But stuff like the morans and dalamadurs? Totally boring as hell.

George?

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I've been able to take down the Great Maccao and the Gendrome, but wow...are these battles supposed to take like 20-30 minutes? They are like the first two hunts <_<

I've also found that I need to stock up on at least 10 Mega Potions to stand a chance. Am i supposed to be focusing on upgrading my weapons first, or just stumble along with whatever I happen to find?

Maccao and Gendrome usually take about 5 minutes.

What weapon classes and hunting styles do you use? Once we know we can give you specific advice instead of just "Kill it faster". Definitely upgrade your weapons.

How often are you landing hits? I know from playing the first MH, fighting even yah normal fodder enemies was tough because I couldn't hit the small agile monsters that much. Weapon animation and timing takes some getting used to. Always good to upgrade equipment, but I would practice using weapons too and getting used to their timing and movements.

Sheath your weapon if you need speed and run up to an enemy. Doing a running unsheathed attack is a good way to get damage.

That's pretty standard, yeah. You'll get better fast though, what weapon are you using?

Upgrade your weapons first, definitely. Armor materials will come naturally as you re-fight those monsters for practice.

Vuze

The dromes are super agile so if you happen to be using a heavy slow weapon (hammer, gs, lances...) chances are you had a hard time hitting them. I estimate more experienced players will spend 5~10mins on these guys, so don't worry. :)
Focusing on weapon upgrades first is definitely a priority. At the point where you will need higher def armor, you will have access to a plethora of new parts from the monsters you've already slain.

Gogmazios. I don't know who came up with the shitty tradition of giving monsters silly names (Steve etc)

ye olde Seregios

Kinsei

Banned
They have different content since they basically covered different generations. The illustration are top notch, and the developers commentary sheds many light on how they develop MH over the year (like how they intentionally make Yian Garuga to be THAT annoying).

Nickname for Gogmazios.

Oh. Wouldn't Gog make more sense for a nickname? It is shorter and everyone would know what you're talking about.

The dromes are super agile so if you happen to be using a heavy slow weapon (hammer, gs, lances...) chances are you had a hard time hitting them. I estimate more experienced players will spend 5~10mins on these guys, so don't worry. :)

Gogmazios. I don't know who came up with the shitty tradition of giving monsters silly names (Steve etc)

Steve?

PKrockin

I feel like if you think GaijinHunter has had a net neutral effect on the community because he posted a few wrong values and didn't change them and doesn't tell people frequently enough not to take his word as law, you may need to take a step back and spend a little less time immersed in reddit drama. lol. His tutorial videos are so good and are the starting point for so many new players. It seems to me like a lot of people are just tired of people holding him up as the ultimate MH expert, when he's not. I understand though, I hate it when people quote egoraptor's Mega Man Sequelitis videos and go on to say no video game should have tutorials. I don't really fault egoraptor for that, though, that's just people being sheep and following along with a popular figure as they always do.

tuffy

Didn't the names "George" and "Steve" come off a Capcom MH4U preview stream before their official names were revealed?

If its your first game in the series, then yeah there gonna take some time. But you'll get better as you play more, my first kill on GM was just under 5 minutes with 2 cats.

Have you recruited some cats yet? Also what weapon are you using?

His tutorial videos are so good and are the starting point for so many new players. It seems to me like a lot of people are just tired of people holding him up as the ultimate MH expert, when he's not.

Yeah this is the only bit that annoys me, but he is a great credit to the community. From personal experience it made getting my girlfriend into monster hunter very easy and helped me learn about IG kinsects.

Mupod

I'm not sure if I like the game flat out telling you to seek outside help. It's like people forgot how to learn by playing.

I don't expect anybody to play this game without 'outside help'. Hell, as a gunner, the series' traditional stance on ammo types and critical distance has been 'HERE BE DRAGONS'. Gaijin Hunter these days also goes into motion values in his videos which are very important, and the game sure as hell doesn't explain them. Sure, you can get a sense of it by how 'meaty' the impacts feel but it's good to have a resource to know what combos and moves are strong. Especially since damage values get tweaked from game to game.

Anyways, the best part of MH-gaf is how eager everyone is to help new players. When I first got into MH in MHF2 I went to gamefaqs and, well, they were elitist pricks - almost turned me off the series right there. So when I actually got gud I decided I would never be that guy. I frequently created/maintained mh generals on /v/ for a long time before /vg/ existed and as weird as it sounds for that place, people were incredibly helpful to newcomers. I've always tried to do the same on GAF since I've been here.

That said, actually carrying people ingame isn't something I do and sometimes gaf gets a bit over zealous when helping with urgents and such. When I help with low level stuff I wear joke sets (gargwa hat for life) or weapons I'm not used to.

JP_

Banned
Had pre-ordered from amazon months ago. Yesterday they try to charge the card but it was expired, payment was declined, but I fix it in less than a minute and immediately email customer service to try and make sure there wouldn't be a delay. I get a response saying they upgrade to 1 day shipping, but estimates it'll arrive Monday. This morning, I notice I can still order it with free same day shipping, so I contact them again to see if the existing order can be changed -- nope, so now I have two packages "shipping today" but one is supposed to arrive today. *sigh*

Letep

They have different content since they basically covered different generations. The illustration are top notch, and the developers commentary sheds many light on how they develop MH over the year (like how they intentionally make Yian Garuga to be THAT annoying).

Nickname for Gogmazios.

I see the third book isn't translated into English yet, and I guess the first book collects the PSP games, then the second the DS and Wii games?

tuffy

I see the third book isn't translated into English yet, and I guess the first book collects the PSP games, then the second the DS and Wii games?
Illustrations 2 covers third gen so it's Tri, 3 Ultimate and also some stuff from Portable 3rd.

Faiz

so where's my hunting horn brethren at? I solo'd every last one of MH4U's single-player hunts with a horn at my side (except Master's Test I just GS'd it lol), and the new double note mechanic has me excited to be rewarded for playing the way I always have.

What styles will you guys use? :O

All about the horn life.

I spent a lot of time on Charge Blade last time out just because it was new and fun but planning to hit the ground running with Horn in Generations.

Planning on going mainly Guild - otherwise it felt too crippled.

Mupod

I haven't touched HH in the demo or looked up changes at all, but it was my primary weapon in 3U. Wouldn't Adept be the way to go? Evade skills were always huge for the HH, especially if you were like me and used recitals aggressively.

Gala

Playing with range weapons for the first time is quite the adventure, but I think I'm getting the hang of the light bowgun

Shengar

Yeah sadly the third books isn't translated yet. And your guess is correct as the first book covers MH1 up to MHFG, while the second book cover Tri and 3U. The third book gives us the 4th game goodness minus Monster Hunter Generation (the book was released in the same time last year with the game IIRC so it's impossible to include them).

deim0s

@TheBaldEmperor

No.

Yeah sadly the third books isn't translated yet. And your guess is correct as the first book covers MH1 up to MHFG, while the second book cover Tri and 3U. The third book gives us the 4th game goodness minus Monster Hunter Generation (the book was released in the same time last year with the game IIRC so it's impossible to include them).

Is the english version of the book planned at all?

Mupod

I read that there was a Hunter Art that let you frenzy virus yourself. Is it time consuming to unlock? I'm assuming you'll have to hunt you-know-who before it opens up.

I keep thinking I want to run Striker HBG with that, gunpowder infusion, and the reload/move speed self buff. And then wear the antiviral armor skill for even more affinity from the virus. Siege mode has never been my thing but I do like the idea of being able to roll out of it and reposition.

Playing with range weapons for the first time is quite the adventure, but I think I'm getting the hang of the light bowgun

I think bows are the ideal first transition from being a fulltime blademaster since you don't need to dive into that ocean of ammo types and combinations. Bows also definitely teach you that 'ranged' in MH is still 'unsafely close to those claws and teeth'.

But as a bowgun user I can definitely recommend reading or watching something to explain ammo types. As a general rule Normal 2 and Pierce 2 will take you pretty far with an HBG, whereas LBG is all about exploiting elemental weaknesses with rapid fire.

Beats

I read that there was a Hunter Art that let you frenzy virus yourself. Is it time consuming to unlock? I'm assuming you'll have to hunt you-know-who before it opens up.

There's a 6* Hunters Hub/Multiplayer quest that unlocks it so it'll probably be a while before you can get it. Requires you to hunt you-know-who.

edit: you can check out all of the arts plus unlock conditions here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHGen:_Hunter_Arts

Ricky 7

Did Gunlances really get a nerf overall? I heard shelling is weaker and attacks are only a little bit stronger in red heat mode compared to standard attacks in 4U?

I want to buy it online and have it download to my 3DS that's sitting plugged in at home. Where can I click a link to do this? Ive put e shop cards on my account already.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Going to take the plunge on this on the e-shop when it goes live at noon. I put about 25 hours into MH4U and just got distracted by other things. I liked the demo of this more, and from all accounts it's a bit more accessible.

Did Gunlances really get a nerf overall? I heard shelling is weaker and attacks are only a little bit stronger in red heat mode compared to standard attacks in 4U?

I'm not exactly certain but I do know that they changed up some of the attacks. Normally I'd do a combo where I would finish with a slam of the lance and a blast. Couldn't do that anymore unless I'm missing something or forgot how to play GL.

Ricky 7

I'm not exactly certain but I do know that they changed up some of the attacks. Normally I'd do a combo where I would finish with a slam of the lance and a blast. Couldn't do that anymore unless I'm missing something or forgot how to play GL.
Some styles you can't do the slam move so I guess you should avoid them if you're using normal type shells.

Pejo

My order from Amazon is out for delivery. I cannot wait to get home and dig in proper.

The GF wants to go see that stupid Ghostbusters movie tonight, gotta find a way out of it.

Kinsei

Banned
"Hey we know this is a celebration of Monster Hunters history but we went ahead and changed the names of areas and characters that you know and love."

I really hate this games localization.

spiritfox

You can still do it in Guild style.

Is Athena's ASS updated for MHGen?

Top Bottom