• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

colinp

Banned
I played MH3U almost exclusively with a 3D Circle Pad Pro, but really the right stick ended up kind of useless as the L-trigger lock-snap is all you really ever need, I rarely ever bothered with the stick during hunts. Occasionally I did pan around with the right stick during certain gathering quests(oh and it was SUPER helpful for underwater swimming...no longer in the games tho).

Really though, the best use for the CPP was the added grip it offered for the 3DS itself. Probably worth it for extra comfort alone, and the stick is a nice side benefit, but not as necessary as newer players think.

Interesting, thanks!

You can get Yukumo set really early, 2* village

Ooh sweet. Thanks!

Gvitor

Just started. The "hold to gather" update is godsent. You don't even need to crouch beforehand, and when it ends, it doesn't do so in a crouching animation. 10/10

Beats

If you have the Gunpowder Infusion Art charged with the Heavy Bowgun and need to reload you can reload and cancel into the hunting art to do both at once.

the intro alone

08C3M0C.png

Salaadin

How do I claim my bonus for playing MH4U? I keep seeing people say that the housecat does it but he is only letting me claim my dlc item pack. Or is the dlc item pack and mh4u bonus the same thing?

Tom_Cody

How do I claim my bonus for playing MH4U? I keep seeing people say that the housecat does it but he is only letting me claim my dlc item pack. Or is the dlc item pack and mh4u bonus the same thing?
I have the same question. I talked to the cat but I didn't get the items. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Unicorn

'Hold A to gather' should have been front and centre in the trailers, guaranteed sales hit.

DUDE.

What other QoL changes are there. I'm a hug MH fan, but have been lukewarm even since japan release. Dunno why, probably the lack of a true number at the end.

javadoze

DUDE.

What other QoL changes are there. I'm a hug MH fan, but have been lukewarm even since japan release. Dunno why, probably the lack of a true number at the end.

Attacking a monster while someone's mounting it no longer stops the mount (though I don't think mounts are as easy as MH4U, though).

DUDE.

They went back to the tri method of online hub/lobby, where the side room contains an equipment chest NEXT to the forge. So no more trips between 3 damn zones.

Thank god.

Edit: ^^^ above post too is a big one. Can't knock Mounters off anymore, and you get the benefit of more free-ish hits on certain parts while the meter builds, but overall significantly less mounts and topples than the crazy double rodeo builds of 4U.

Been playing off and on while watching EVO. Got to the Maccao quest and felt like I was just gonna breeze on by since it's the first monster.

NOPE.

Granted it's my first time trying out hammer in a MH but I really didn't expect to have such a difficult time with him. Restarted my 3DS and I'm going to actually focus on it now.

I didn' grab any palacios because I couldn't find where the dlc ones were. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know how to NOT do that charged spinning attack with the hammer? Pretty sure I've seen different types of charge attacks.

Fuck me dude. I'm getting PTSD from running through the original forest zone.

Those butt clenches trying to run eggs. My praying praying praying for that rare machalite ore so I could finally upgrade my armor. My yell when I finally fucking killed a rathalos because this was in ps2 days and I only had dial up and couldn't play online

I can't believe I put so much time into that game and got so little progress and somehow still a fan today

Been playing off and on while watching EVO. Got to the Maccao quest and felt like I was just gonna breeze on by since it's the first monster.

NOPE.

Granted it's my first time trying out hammer in a MH but I really didn't expect to have such a difficult time with him. Restarted my 3DS and I'm going to actually focus on it now.

I didn' grab any palacios because I couldn't find where the dlc ones were. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know how to NOT do that charged spinning attack with the hammer? Pretty sure I've seen different types of charge attacks.
Talk to Meowstress and select Hire Special Felyne. (I fucking hate "Palico", the fuck is that name)

3DS preorder theme is pretty neat, indeed color makes it fit the currently loaded Fire Emblem Fates animated logo. Expecting tomorrow. Of all things I'm kind of enthused about seeing updated Blangonga and what-not. Played MHFU PSP a couple months ago just to revisit some of the oldies.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished all of the 2* Behrna quests so now I'm off to Kokoto! There are way too many gathering quests in this game.

mitchlol

Can someone give me a break down on which style would be most beginner friendly for Duel blades?

I played MH4U and used GS but this game I want to use the daggers I'm just struggling with how they are meant to be played and what Style/Art to use for them? I don't get the whole demon mode thing.

I made the mistake of picking Ariel style first, now k never want to use anything else! Haha

I wonder which art I should use with my switch axe...hmm.

Squishy3

For anyone looking for gathering data go here and check the maps individually for what you're looking for:

http://kiranico.com/en/mhx

Some things were changed in localization, although the only instance I've found is Killer Beetle changed to Shiny Beetle between 4U and this. So if you want Shiny Beetles look for Killer Beetles.

Kira's adding them to the english DB that they have up but they're not there yet so this'll work until they are. :p Edit: though guess this doesn't tell you what number zone the nodes are in, unfortunately, just percentage rates. :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I kinda hate that there's an option to use ZL and ZR for Hunter Arts 1 and 2, but not to use L and R for them. I've got one of those MH branded CPPs (with the right stick on the left index finger) and using R to run instead of ZR is super uncomfortable. But my only other option is to use the touch screen for Hunter Arts, and I'm not some kind of horrible monster so touching the touchscreen with my thumb is out of the question. *sigh*

Gvitor

Can't say I like that they allow you to go to every village as soon as 2* quests open. I really liked the sense of progression MH4U had in that regard.

Daft Punk

Banned
So as someone who loved Freedom Unite, hated 3U, and somewhat enjoyed 4U, how is the game holding up? I played the demo, but if this doesn't hold me I'm taking it back to the store.

Ocho

Missing the epic intros whenever you first encountered a new monster.

Can't wait to see them again in MH5.

Kinsei

Banned
Can someone give me a break down on which style would be most beginner friendly for Duel blades?

I played MH4U and used GS but this game I want to use the daggers I'm just struggling with how they are meant to be played and what Style/Art to use for them? I don't get the whole demon mode thing.

The basics of dual blades are that you want to go into demon mode (hit the R button) which greatly increases your attack power and changes your combos. While you are hitting a monster in demon mode you fill up your arch demon gauge which puts you into a pseudo demon mode so that you don;t have to deal with your stamina draining the entire fight. The key to dual blades is to keep our arch demon gauge full for almost the entire fight by going in and out of demon mode.

Striker style isn;t very good with DB since they really only get one useful art.

Guild is good. It's pretty much dual blades exactly as they were in 4U.

Aerial is really good for the smaller boss monsters. Stuff like Maccao, Gendrome, etc all melt when you use this style. The trade off is that you can't use your demon dance (X+A in demon mode) but it's not a big deal.

Adept is my personal favorite. With other weapons you have to run in after the dodge in order to counterattack but with DB's your dodge is the counter attack (if you're in demon or arch demon mode) and instead of a run afterwards you get two free dodges that don't consume stamina! The trade off for this is that you lose the slingshot jump off of ledges but you really don't need it if you're using adept.

Blood Wind is the only decent DB hunter art you'll have for a while. Keep that on there until you get Wolf's Maw which is the best DB hunter art. Wolf's Maw makes it so all of your attacks hit twice while it's active. The second hit only does 30% damage, but that's still huge.

Top Bottom