• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

bigace33

I dont use my 3ds online much, how single player friendly is this? Seeing everyone gushing over this has me really wanting to play it.

Kinsei

Banned
After my first day of play I;ve finished all of the 1* quests and almost all of the 2* quests. I just have the Yukumo village quests left and I'm at my second urgent!

I wish the village elders were the quest givers like the old games. I keep accidentally talking to the Kokoto and Pokke elders when I go to take a quest since that's what you did back then. I'm probably going to accidentally do the saem thing with the Yukumo elder too.

I really hope the three star quests kick it up a notch in terms of difficulty. So far all of the bosses have gone down between 2-4 minutes (Bulldrome took less than a minute, the majority of the quest was reaching it. I know it's always been easy but still) and I've only had to use a single first aid med so far.

I dont use my 3ds online much, how single player friendly is this? Seeing everyone gushing over this has me really wanting to play it.

There's a ton of single player only content and all of the multiplayer content can be done on your own without going online.

bigace33

After my first day of play I;ve finished all of the 1* quests and almost all of the 2* quests. I just have the Yukumo village quests left and I'm at my second urgent!

I wish the village elders were the quest givers like the old games. I keep accidentally talking to the Kokoto and Pokke elders when I go to take a quest since that's what you did back then. I'm probably going to accidentally do the saem thing with the Yukumo elder too.

I really hope the three star quests kick it up a notch in terms of difficulty. So far all of the bosses have gone down between 2-4 minutes (Bulldrome took less than a minute, the majority of the quest was reaching it. I know it's always been easy but still) and I've had to use a single first aid med so far.

There's a ton of single player only content and all of the multiplayer content can be done on your own without going online.
Ok Im sold. The scores are just too good and people are seeming to have a blast

Lunar15

Where the heck do I find my MH4U bonus? I talked to the house palico and he said to go pick it up from a scout palico. Then I couldn't find that.

WTF?

Seil

Where the heck do I find my MH4U bonus? I talked to the house palico and he said to go pick it up from a scout palico. Then I couldn't find that.

WTF?

All of the items, titles and background will have already been added, the items dumped to your storage. They tell you to go to the palico scout to get the special palicoes. The Meowstress, in the Palico Ranch east of Bherna is the first palico scout. You can hire the bonus palicoes via the special palicoes menu option.

Sifl

I still hate how if you do someone else's urgent and you need it completed too it won't just give you credit for it. Sucks if you play with randoms.

Sidenote: I never realized how fun the Hunting Horn was.

Kinsei

Banned
I still hate how if you do someone else's urgent and you need it completed too it won't just give you credit for it. Sucks if you play with randoms.

Sidenote: I never realized how fun the Hunting Horn was.

I think it's because they don;t want someone joining an urgent before they've done their key quests to essentially skip a tier of quests. It sucks but at least here on Gaf you'll most likely be able to find a group that will do the quest four times so everyone ranks up.

cheesekao

I think it's because they don;t want someone joining an urgent before they've done their key quests to essentially skip a tier of quests. It sucks but at least here on Gaf you'll most likely be able to find a group that will do the quest four times so everyone ranks up.
They can just make it so that you still have to complete the other quests before you can trigger the rank up.

R0ckman

Are all the big monster intros halfassed compared to MH4U, just saw the first one and it was terrible. They dont even show your character interacting with the monster.

kaioshade

Picked up my copy of MHX/G and the 3DS console. The thing is absolutely beautiful....but the screens are both TN, lottery fail. Ah well, cant have them all. Might salvage a donor 3DS so i can get some IPS screens.

ubiblu

I really hope the three star quests kick it up a notch in terms of difficulty. So far all of the bosses have gone down between 2-4 minutes (Bulldrome took less than a minute, the majority of the quest was reaching it. I know it's always been easy but still) and I've only had to use a single first aid med so far.

Are we talking about the same game here? It takes me between 30-40 minutes per boss, using 20-30+ healing items, and I've only taken down the first four proper hunts. What build / equipment are you running????

Tarps

Are all the big monster intros halfassed compared to MH4U, just saw the first one and it was terrible. They dont even show your character interacting with the monster.

I think so, Gaijin Hunter mentioned that these were significantly watered down from MH4U.

Amiibro

Should I play this game or the last game as a jumping off point to starting Monster Hunter games? I did try previous games for a couple hours but just couldn't understand it much.

I finally got my copy and now I'm super pumped to play this one. I joined GAF discord channel as well and I can't wait to play with some of you guys :D

SAC

Neo Member
My most anticipated game of 2016 is here! Can't wait to play with GAF. Didn't have time to play much today (just created my hunter, who looks exactly like my 4U hunter). Now that I have Generations in my hands I.... can't help but feel a little bummed that there is no G-Rank, as conquering G-Rank was one of the most memorable and satisfying experiences I've had in a game.... I would have waited a lot longer, tbh. Oh well though, can't wait to sink another 400 hours into a MH game! Longsword for life

4am... ٩(๑´0`๑)۶

Should I play this game or the last game as a jumping off point to starting Monster Hunter games? I did try previous games for a couple hours but just couldn't understand it much.
Both are awesome for different reasons. I'd say MH4U is more welcoming, but MHG is the newest game and we are all here discussing it. You choose.

But be sure to watch some tutorial/guide videos so you don't feel completely lost. :)

Deband

The new one definitely has the excitement factor right now. But, so far I think 4u is the better, more polished experience.

mitchlol

My hands hurt :( I'm using a n3ds and after an hour I have pins and needles or cramps in my hands. It's worse on a long hunt when I'm tense about failing... What solution is there for me? I just want to use a proper controller :/

My most anticipated game of 2016 is here! Can't wait to play with GAF. Didn't have time to play much today (just created my hunter, who looks exactly like my 4U hunter). Now that I have Generations in my hands I.... can't help but feel a little bummed that there is no G-Rank, as conquering G-Rank was one of the most memorable and satisfying experiences I've had in a game.... I would have waited a lot longer, tbh. Oh well though, can't wait to sink another 400 hours into a MH game! Longsword for life

I would agree but after some thought, everything until g rank in the ultimate games is just a waste of time. All those pages and pages of armors and weapons and quests that were totally useless. It was just a rush through the prerequisites. I like the more focused nature of this game's upgrade path with just 2 levels.

I also like the simpler dps numbers. Each weapon retains their actual behind the scenes multipliers but now all weapons are able to be relatively compared with the equalized numbers.

Vuze

Yes and some huge boss monsters didn't even get one at all <.<

MH4Us intros and all the CG story stuff was so dope yet here we are with another uninspired MHFU level story and the worst intros in the series. Probably (hopefully) just a budget limitation.

Deband

My hands hurt :( I'm using a n3ds and after an hour I have pins and needles or cramps in my hands. It's worse on a long hunt when I'm tense about failing... What solution is there for me? I just want to use a proper controller :/

I never had an issue with the n3dsxl and 400 hours in 4u. I wouldn't fancy it on the og version though. Maybe pick up a grip? I got the mhx one for the xl bit there might be one out there for the small 3ds.

This thing has saved my life (hands).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JDH8J0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have the new 3ds XL, that is. They also make one for the n3ds. If you have an old one, get a circle pad pro.

SAC

Neo Member
Looking through the options, kinda let down by the panel customization and the defaulting of zr and zl to be hunter arts. I like to have a wetstone on the touchscreen and while you can still do that, you cannot place just two hunter arts on the touch screen (now that I changed zr/zl to be l/r). It's either one art or three arts so now I'm looking at my panels trying to think of another configuration. Also, TOTAL bs there are no instant text options and instead it has to scroll out every line of dialogue. Was in 4U. No idea why it isn't in this one.

Minor gripes, not huge complaints

JTCx

Get a handgrip for your 3ds. It solved that problem for me.

Tarps

I would agree but after some thought, everything until g rank in the ultimate games is just a waste of time. All those pages and pages of armors and weapons and quests that were totally useless. It was just a rush through the prerequisites. I like the more focused nature of this game's upgrade path with just 2 levels.

The rush to G Rank was real. On a restarted file, after losing my G-Crown I took more time to stop and smell the roses, practice a few extra weapon types, build armor sets I'd skipped before and I think the game was much better for it. There was a lot of LR / HR content I really failed to appreciate, gonna try and take this one nice and slow.

Jarate

Banned
What happened to Long Sword, they took out my r ability ;-;

Now it doesn't glow all cool unless there's a style that replaces it...

spiritfox

Huh? Spirit Slash is still there. What style are you using? Aerial and Adept has different ways to do the finishing move.

Are there fans of Cephadrome? Please send this garbage ass monster to the recycle bin where it belongs

If you're using aerial style I think you have to launch yourself for spirit slash. iirc guild style and adept have the full moveset except adept can't do the spirit ender from the combo

xviper

what's wrong with the servers ? yesterday i played 5 hours without any disconnection, now i can't play for 10 minutes without getting connection lost

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Options > Page 3 > ZL/ZR Control Type > Type 1

Also Camera Angle Type 4 is the best one.

You guys are welcome. &#128519;

Type 1 is what I normally use, yeah (it's how I went through MH4U). It'd be perfect if it put hunter arts on L and R, but sadly it doesn't. That's my big issue.

Deband

Someone tell me the sheer amount of npcs I have to talk to calms down a bit. I'm in 4 start village and it seems I have about 4 ppl after every quest. Driving me nuts.

Top Bottom