• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Pheace

Do super sprouts respawn? I'm on the quest to deliver 10 of them and the only spot you can gather them from only gave me 8.

I got 10 out of my first spawn (probably due to bonuses) but it's unlikely you can't go back to get more I imagine. I think you only needed 8 anyway? (just... stock up stamina and keep running :p)

Eiolon

I am new to the series, can anyone tell me if the online mode has voice chat or a free chat system (not pre made phrases like Mario Kart 8)?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I feel dumb for asking this but how exactly do you proc arch demon mode? Does it just happen automatically after you fill the bar? It's been a hot minute since I used DB
Once the red gauge under your sharpness bar is full, just press R and you'll you be in archdemon mode. It ends if you get hit, have to cover your ears etc, run out of stamina, or run out of meter.

Maaaan, I was going into this all gung ho about going LS, but as soon as I get the game of course now I'm wondering if I should try Switch Axe

Never used either of these in a Monster Hunter before, so either one is going to be fun...
Switch axe has a really really broken end game setup this time around with certain skills that allow you to stay in sword mode 100% of the time with big damage buffs. Talking a good constant 170% - 200% dmg here.

PKrockin

Do super sprouts respawn? I'm on the quest to deliver 10 of them and the only spot you can gather them from only gave me 8.
There are two spots you can get them from, one right next to the spider webs in the cat area and one more on that same platform.

So, if you're using the Hunting Horn is Maestro a necessary skill, or is it just something that's worth having?
I would no longer say it's a necessary skill with the new double note mechanic. Helpful, and cheap to gem in, so a good skill, but not necessary like it used to be.

PKrockin

I think you're right. Is there no attack art with great sword?
All 3 of GS's unique hunter arts are attack artes though? One is a counter (charge up some power and then press the stick toward the monster as you get hit by an attack), one is an upward slash, one is a sideways slash that makes your next attack more powerful.

Each weapon can use the general hunter arts like absolute evade and escape runner, and each weapon has 3 of their own unique arts no other weapon can use. Sword and Shield's Round Force or whatever it's called won't show up in your list unless you have SnS equipped.

Been trying out Adept Long Sword. I really need to get the timing for the evade down right. I find that I'm evading too soon and not triggering the adept evade, and without being able to adept evade reliably, it seriously cuts into my damage potential

Been trying out Adept Long Sword. I really need to get the timing for the evade down right. I find that I'm evading too soon and not triggering the adept evade, and without being able to adept evade reliably, it seriously cuts into my damage potential
I'm using Adept LS too, and honestly, it's kinda bad. I'm evading quite frequently, but hitting the monster in another story. Most of them have follow up attacks so even if you evade the first attack, you will still get caught in the combo.

Right now I don't care because the monsters are weak so whatever if I get hit or not, but say you are doing ending game quests... this lotto game could become pretty dangerous.

I think that Guard/Adept might be a better combination. I'll have to try latter. Lance is my favorite blade class anyway!

Deosier

Its more on knowing the monster moveset and tells. I used the narga to practice the timing though.

I am new to the series, can anyone tell me if the online mode has voice chat or a free chat system (not pre made phrases like Mario Kart 8)?

Pre-made phrases that can be custom edited mainly, but also free chat in the hub area (in between quests). It's not that limiting especially if you custom edit your phrases, because either way you dont really want to spend 10 sec typing a phrase while a wyvern is on your ass :p

Faiz

Its more on knowing the monster moveset and tells. I used the narga to practice the timing though.

Yeah, it's not a get outta jail free card. They aren't giving us an out, we still have to learn and predict monster move sets.

Now ready for some bow action!
WVW69jZ0JaE5M1qCce

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The two star quest? That's for Sashimi, not sushi fish.
Sashimi fish, yes. Doesn't change the fact I only got one.

For the super sprouts quest, be sure to go up top in that area and you'll find them. If you guys run out then just zone out and in and they'll be back. I learned that the hard way when a goddamn cat stole one of mine...

As for the rhenoplos quest, I just zoned out in the two other areas and they just reappeared.

Not sure how I feel about this game thus far. It is kind of the same with just a few touches of differences. It's not bad but I'm not into it as much as MH4U right now.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished a low rank narga set, gathering the bugs was a pain. Interestingly enough it doesn't come with any evasion+ points at all, which is fine since I'm using adept, but still weird.

Mupod

I cleared all the early quests because I was too lazy to look shit up and I wanted to gather the basics anyways. I noticed I got a talisman from quests at some point and assumed it was the usual autoguard, into the box it goes never to be used.

Once all my gathering was done I changed into my normal gear and noticed what skill was ACTUALLY on it
gathering+10

In other news, getting the hang of SA now. I could never wrap my head around the point of the weapon but Gaijin Hunter's videos actually made sense. Using Adept for now but I feel like I'd prefer Guild if I had some evade armor skills. Not a fan of Aerial for any weapon.

Doorman

I don't understand why some weapons can't be crafted, game saying 'unlocked at lv 2'.
I am RC2, what is this level thing?

Individual weapons have levels now, it's all a part of the weapon upgrade mechanics. I suppose it somewhat replaces the "upgrade Bone Blade to Bone Blade+" interim upgrade steps, instead letting you power the same weapon up a couple of times before changing it over to a new family of weapons. It's different terminology but the general concept is the same as it's ever been.

Ugh...I still can't decide on a third weapon type to main. I'm putting a more concentrated effort into bow use this time around, and my second is greatsword (even if it's simplistic I found aerial greatsword to be a ton of fun in the demo), but I want another blademaster weapon to have on deck on occasions where I'm not feeling the greatsword and it's hell settling on one. SnS, Longsword, Switch Axe, Dual Blades, Lance, Hunting Horn...they all have ups and downs for me. I've liked changing up what I use each time I play through a new game but it's at the point now where I've used almost everything and any time I feel like I've settled on a choice, one of the others calls to me instead...

HeeHo

It sucks that the 3DS Monster Hunter games don't have voice chat. I used to play MH3U on the Wii U and I was a little hesitant to start using the mic but the community was pretty damn helpful. I used to play with this mom who had like over 1000 hours on her guild card and was pretty damn good and very helpful. There were also these two other guys who pretty much showed me the ropes when I first started.

For a game with a learning curve like this, I think it's almost necessary for voice chat to be enabled. Wouldn't the 3DS be capable of this with its built-in mic?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It sucks that the 3DS Monster Hunter games don't have voice chat. I used to play MH3U on the Wii U and I was a little hesitant to start using the mic but the community was pretty damn helpful. I used to play with this mom who had like over 1000 hours on her guild card and was pretty damn good and very helpful. There were also these two other guys who pretty much showed me the ropes when I first started.

For a game with a learning curve like this, I think it's almost necessary for voice chat to be enabled. Wouldn't the 3DS be capable of this with its built-in mic?

Probably a battery issue more than anything else.

tuffy

I'm getting better at remembering all the important items on my item combination list, and I'm almost done filling in the gaps in my default item set. I just wish Village Nargacuga showed up sooner because using a HBG without Evade Extender feels weird. Gotta have that extra mobility.

Sifl

Cephadrome is still annoying as fuck. I got him limping around in like 10 minutes, then he kept changing zones and fight went from 10 minutes>30 minutes.

I'm getting better at remembering all the important items on my item combination list, and I'm almost done filling in the gaps in my default item set. I just wish Village Nargacuga showed up sooner because using a HBG without Evade Extender feels weird. Gotta have that extra mobility.

Why not adept?

tuffy

Why not adept?
It's not a good fit for my muscle memory. I'm used to limiter-off HBG and avoiding attacks ahead of time rather than dodging through them, so I had a tough time triggering the adept dodge in the demo. So it seems easier to pick a style that's better suited to how I actually hunt things than to try to hunt things differently to suit a style.

Beats

I like adept for HBG, but I prefer moving out of the way of attacks so I think I'll stick with it until I can get evade extender then maybe go Striker.

MegaPanda

Glad to know that Cephadrome is still a top tier garbage monster. Nothing makes me happier than seeing that asshole limp around

DrArchon

OK, so I got my copy finally. Two things:

1) Fuck early MH quests. If you can tell that I have a MH4U save file on my SD card and can reward me for said save file, there's no reason that you can't also let me skip past the "kill these trash mob monsters and gather these unique mushrooms". You know I've done all that before already.

2) What's the difference between guild style and striker style? One gives you 2 arts and the other gives you 3, so it seems like the striker style is just better in every way, but the game says the guild style gives you extra attacks or something? What does that mean? Also, do I need to use the touch screen to perform arts? Or is there a button combo for them? I don't want to touch the screen with my grubby hands if I don't have to.

Luigi87

1) Fuck early MH quests. If you can tell that I have a MH4U save file on my SD card and can reward me for said save file, there's no reason that you can't also let me skip past the "kill these trash mob monsters and gather these unique mushrooms". You know I've done all that before already.

2) What's the difference between guild style and striker style? One gives you 2 arts and the other gives you 3, so it seems like the striker style is just better in every way, but the game says the guild style gives you extra attacks or something? What does that mean? Also, do I need to use the touch screen to perform arts? Or is there a button combo for them? I don't want to touch the screen with my grubby hands if I don't have to.

I can't answer the Guild/Striker question, but if you have a Circle Pad Pro or a n3DS, you can set the ZR and ZL buttons to activate Hunter Arts 2 & 3 (Hunter Arts 1 button input is R+A+B)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Guild style is essentially identical to MH4U. Striker styles take away moves from the guild style moveset (sometimes very important ones) but add faster charging of skills and 3 slots.

DrArchon

Guild style is essentially identical to MH4U. Striker styles take away moves from the guild style moveset (sometimes very important ones) but add faster charging of skills and 3 slots.

Do adept and aerial also take away moves? Or is it just striker that removes them?

Top Bottom