• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Why is it no matter how hard I try I can't seem to break the Great Maccao's face? I'm trying both aerial for mounting and a hammer to the face but nothing

Kinsei

Banned
They also changed the name fo the Swamp. I wouldn;t be surprised if the localizers decided to change the names of the returning monsters in MH5 since apparently the older games don't matter.

LProtag

Toying with the idea of having a different main weapon for each style, but I think 4 weapon types might be a bit to balance. Here's what I like so far:

1. Striker SnS
2. Guild GS
3. Adept LS

I used to just play GS, but now I'm trying out SnS as my main. Not really sure what would be a good starting weapon to attempt to craft though. Any ideas?

Wanderer5

Well getting the ball rolling and just got my personal palico. I pretty much made my character and palico pretty much like my MH4U ones with some differences. Still went with the smug face the male character has.:p

And oh god the music when you choosing a food order. Music overall has been pretty great so far.

JP_

Banned
Is there a good wiki yet? Need one more sunspire jewel for Guard +2 -- got the first one as a reward for Stomping Grounds (Yian Kut-ku), but I'm not sure how lucky I got.

KDR_11k

I'm surprised how easy the early game (2 stars) is. Granted, my memories are probably comparing it with my difficulties with my first MH game and the HR missions I played of MH4U but I'm still baffled how the first escape of a large monster already has it limping, I'm finishing most of them off before the clock hand on the timer even makes a visible move. I know the Jaggies and Jaggi-likes are easy but it still feels like these should last a LITTLE longer.

Also I guess each town has its own quest path that ramps about as fast as the sole path of a regular MH? I'm killing lots of different big monsters but the difficulty doesn't seem to be curving up.

Aerial switchaxe BTW.

Kinsei

Banned
If there's one thing I didn't miss about the old MH games it's farming for drome heads. I need two Velocidrome heads to upgrade one of my DBs T_T.

burgerdog

So UPS did not deliver the game to the office yesterday after being out for delivery since 8AM and now they're not trying again until Monday. Should I complain to Amazon?

tuffy

They also changed the name fo the Swamp. I wouldn;t be surprised if the localizers decided to change the names of the returning monsters in MH5 since apparently the older games don't matter.
The localization team doesn't get to just name things unilaterally. Looking at Capcom's blog, every name proposal gets run past the game's Japanese director for approval. So if names are different now, it must be because that's what the developers want them to be for whatever reason.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't understand why some weapons can't be crafted, game saying 'unlocked at lv 2'.
I am RC2, what is this level thing?

Think similarly to how you level up armor with Armor Stones (Lv 1->Lv2 same armor just slightly improved stats). Weapons now do the same thing in this game, but using various different materials of your choosing instead of the usual Armor Stone variants.

For instance your starter weapon will need about 1000z + a mix of 4 points from ore to reach Lv 2(so you can give 4 Iron ore's or a single Malachite Ore to hit that 4pt. threshold for Ore) All of the material point values and requirements are listed in the upgrade vendor page when selecting your weapon...(sometimes there are static prerequisite items for leveling too)

So basically, all of those locked lvl 3 weapons you are seeing will become available once your weapon reaches well...level 3 from upgrading. At level 3 you can take that weapon you have been using and push it down different upgrade paths(elemental, raw, etc...) but it all stems from upgrading your basic weapon to that point first(ie. lvl 1-3). In that same screen with all of the lvl 3 locked options, the first choice listed is your current weapon to upgrade to lvl 2. Easy oversight.

Faiz

These changes to localization. Killer Beetles are now Shiny Beetles? Wtf? I'm sorry is "killer" too violent for a game where we kill giant monsters that want to eat us, then carve up their bodies to make giant swords to kill even larger and more blood thirsty giant monsters?

These changes to localization. Killer Beetles are now Shiny Beetles? Wtf? I'm sorry is "killer" too violent for a game where we kill giant monsters that want to eat us, then carve up their bodies to make giant swords to kill even larger and more blood thirsty giant monsters?

Or killer was the original mistranslation and they fixed it?

Original description

Killer Beetle Insect with a hard shell and dazzling wings. Used as an abrasive.

Seil

You mean the fan translation?

キラビートル

It's literally Kira Biitoru. So it's an understandable translation. But yeah, kira can mean something like sparkly/dazzling/whatever.

But it was in katakana, so...

Faiz

Or killer was the original mistranslation and they fixed it?

Original description

Killer Beetle Insect with a hard shell and dazzling wings. Used as an abrasive.

Apparently that IS the case.

To be clear though - it's not so much that I was mad, it's that I found the change kinda funny and weird.

Also at this point, after being "killer beetle" for so long... Seems weird to change it back.

キラビートル

It's literally Kira Biitoru. So it's an understandable translation. But yeah, kira can mean something like sparkly/dazzling/whatever.

But it was in katakana, so...

Ok, this is just getting funnier.

Seil

Apparently that IS the case.

To be clear though - it's not so much that I was mad, it's that I found the change kinda funny and weird.

Also at this point, after being "killer beetle" for so long... Seems weird to change it back.

Ok, this is just getting funnier.

I'm assuming it was intended on the sparkly side of things. Like, it's sometimes written in katakana anyway. And Kira as in Killer is usually キラー, or Kiraa. Just pointing out that it's understandable why it could be mistranslated that way. Of course it could also be a wordplay thing where it's both, but only people working on the game could probably know that for sure lol.

Squishy3

It was killer beetle in MHX. Dunno why it was changed, but I don't really care either. lol

You mean the fan translation?
Nah, it's a change that doesn't really make sense when it was Killer Beetle in previous games especially when it's still that in the Japanese version, but I could see how they decided to go that route. Time for a mini Japanese lesson!

Let's go over the actual characters as they are in the game first:

キラビートル = Killer Beetle, however the description is: An insect with dazzling wings. Its hard shell is often used as an abrasive. This description is the same in all the localized games, the only change is to the item name itself.

Now let's look at how Google Translate writes Killer Beetle: キラービートル. You'll note that there's one character missing between ラ and ビ; ー. The rest of the item name is the same.

If you take the first two characters (キラ) out of Killer Beetle as they are in Monster Hunter X and double them up you get キラキラ which when literally translated means glitter.

Couple that with the description stating that the Killer Beetle has dazzling wings, you can see how the localization team might have come to the decision to change it to Shiny Beetle. Conversely, the item naming in the Japanese release may just be a typo and they forgot the ー character at the end of キラ.

Gvitor

I like the many characters from past games, but they all only have gather requests upon gather requests. There's 4 (FOUR) pages of 2* quests and like, 4 large monsters within them.

The Moga Chief's son asked me for fucking raw meat. Dude, get a fucking sword and kill an aptonoth. Or go to the trader yourself, dammit.

Seil

Girlfriend just shoryukened rathian as it was limp flying away, SNS seems so badass this game.

Even without arts, it's really fun KOing something by slashing the shit out of its face with Stamina Oil, too lmao. Oils are really nice. Between Hunter Arts and Oils, Gen's been nice to SnS.

Nah, it's a change that doesn't really make sense when it was Killer Beetle in previous games especially when it's still that in the Japanese version, but I could see how they decided to go that route. Time for a mini Japanese lesson!

Let's go over the actual characters as they are in the game first:

キラビートル = Killer Beetle, however the description is: An insect with dazzling wings. Its hard shell is often used as an abrasive. This description is the same in all the localized games, the only change is to the item name itself.

Now let's look at how Google Translate writes Killer Beetle: キラービートル. You'll note that there's one character missing between ラ and ビ; ー. The rest of the item name is the same.

If you take the first two characters (キラ) out of Killer Beetle as they are in Monster Hunter X and double them up you get キラキラ which when literally translated means glitter.

Couple that with the description stating that the Killer Beetle has dazzling wings, you can see how the localization team might have come to the decision to change it to Shiny Beetle. Conversely, the item naming in the Japanese release may just be a typo and they forgot the ー character at the end of キラ.

It's a play on word that was missed by the original translation team. I know kira means killer and kirakira means glitter.

キラ can be both referring to killer and glitter (or anything synonym with it) as the original word is キラキラ. in this case it actually the latter based on the description itself. i guess after years, finally the team realized they make a mistake :p

Squishy3

It's a play on word that was missed by the original translation team. I know kiraa means killer.
No, I'm trying to explain how they got to the Shiny Beetle name. It's been Killer Beetle in other games, so they're definitely aware of it. (Even games before 8-4 started localizing it.)

No, I'm trying to explain how they got to the Shiny Beetle name. It's been Killer Beetle in other games, so they're definitely aware of it. (Even games before 8-4 started localizing it.)

It's been killer beetle in previous games because they translated it directly, missing the play on word. nothing more than that really.

Top Bottom