• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Vitacat

Does this game play fine on the 2ds? I've never owned a 3ds and considering picking up the 2ds because it's cheap.

It should work, but you'll be getting the worst possible experience because 2DS can't use CPP controls and won't have the enhancements of the New 3ds models. Plus, of course, 2ds can never show 3D visuals in any game.

If possible, get a New 3ds. Small one if you want to use faceplates, or XL if you want big screens.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh fuck me, I gave in and bought this. Went into EB expecting it to be overpriced like EB tends to do, but it was the same as everywhere else. MH4U was inexplicably more expensive.

Here's hoping I play more than five hours total for once.

Also haven't done any research on styles, that's going to confuse me.

Wanderer5

Thanks! Where's the earliest places to hunt Bulldrome and G.Jaggi? Do I have to hit Hunter's Hub?

G.Jaggi doesn't exist in this, but you get the stuff for it via regular jaggi. First quest you can get from the palico ranch is hunting down 10 jaggi.

For Bulldrome, there a HR1 quest of it.

so, I happened to fight Bulldrome, Great something, and Lagombi so far, and for every one of them I'm failing miserably to capitalize on Adept style Long Sword. Seems like when I finally get my dodges right, there's just no way to punish anything they do. Am I just terrible, or is Adept just not that great against some monsters?

I'm thinking of potentially going Aerial Switch Axe instead...

Tidalwave

So, I'm trying this out and the great sword feels too slow and the dual blades dont do enough damage. Can anyone suggest a weapon they enjoy and maybe why?

Edit: for solo play

Kinsei

Banned
so, I happened to fight Bulldrome, Great something, and Lagombi so far, and for every one of them I'm failing miserably to capitalize on Adept style Long Sword. Seems like when I finally get my dodges right, there's just no way to punish anything they do. Am I just terrible, or is Adept just not that great against some monsters?

I'm thinking of potentially going Aerial Switch Axe instead...

Small and fast are a bad combo when using adept. Try it out on bigger things like Hermitaur and Nibelsnarf.

So, I'm trying this out and the great sword feels too slow and the dual blades dont do enough damage. Can anyone suggest a weapon they enjoy and maybe why?

I'm using the dual blades (bouncing between aerial and adept styles based on who I'm fighting) solo and they're very powerful. They're not very beginner friendly though since you need to manage going in and out of demon mode and have to try and make sure you don't let the arch demon gauge drain completely.

For a beginner I recommend the long sword (guild style). It's pretty quick, has a dodge slash, and it's pretty powerful. The insect glaive is also powerful but it's incredibly difficult to use and upgrade properly for a newcomer.

Kard8p3

Really? I feel like I shit out damage, tbh. Are you constantly keeping archdemon mode up?

Doorman

This started cropping up a bit in 4U as well but I'm feeling it even more this time around: There are too damn many account items now. Even with the field pouch helping out I'm running into a lot of "item pouch full" management issues any time I want to do some actual gathering and I feel like a lot of what's being picked up is just kind of there to take up space.

Still haven't actually picked my third weapon, but for whatever reason insect glaive has appeared as an option even though I'd already dismissed it. Maintaining the buffs is kind of a pain in early-game when the kinsect can't do a whole lot. I wonder why they traded the stamina stat out for weight? I'm not even sure what weight is even supposed to do. Boosts the potential for the kinsect to cause breaks? The upgrade path feels daunting compared to other weapons, though, farming for the particular jellies/nectars I want is part of why I'm running into the aforementioned pouch space problems.

jonjonaug

Been playing for a couple days now and I'm so happy that Long Sword is back to how it was in MH3U when it comes to how the meter works.

EDIT: Also it's most powerful moves don't seem to trip up teammates anymore either, which is another big plus.

Well my copy from amazon shipped! Said it'll arrive on Thursday so I'll see yall then.

Just finished my last pre Generations session in MH4U. On GRank 1 at 130:57. Not bad since I started in November and it was my first. I plan to keep playing both in the future. As long as I have seperate weapons I think I can keep it up since I want to keep playing 4. I predict over 200 hours on both by the time I'm done. Not many series have hooked me like this.

Mutt

Neo Member
It should work, but you'll be getting the worst possible experience because 2DS can't use CPP controls and won't have the enhancements of the New 3ds models. Plus, of course, 2ds can never show 3D visuals in any game.

If possible, get a New 3ds. Small one if you want to use faceplates, or XL if you want big screens.

Agreed with everything said and I would like to add that the 2DS is confortable to hold for long sessions. The 2DS is $70 in the US? It's not terribly expensive. Monster Hunter plays reasonably well on the 2DS. If it's a matter of budget, I recommend it.

Anteo

I think you should look up on how to use the weapons efectively, for example Great Sword is all about hit and run, you want to run to the enemy, hit them hard with a draw attack or a charged one if the opening is big, roll out of the recovering animation, sheath your sword and move around looking for another opening. The GS slow movement speed and attack should never be a factor in your play.

For the Dual Blades you need to use the demon/archdemon mode and you want to stay in the enemy face to have a huge dps, otherwise the fight will take a long long time.

Wolfe

My 3DS has been in need of something new to play for a long while now, looking forward to eventually picking this up.

Amiibro

At the Jaggi hunting quest on 1*. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have farmed most things I see, got every ore. I have no idea where to start with making armor or weapons. I did bring along two of the cats with me but havnt upgraded anything on them. I havnt bought much so I have about 10kz and all of my materials. Using the long sword is slow but seems alright

PokéKong

I was planning to focus more on DB this time around, but having to worry about the stamina bar, the demon gauge, AND on top of that the sharpness constantly going down makes them way too stressful in the early game. I guess I'll fall back on trusty Charge Blade at least until things open up a bit more.

That said, I've recently discovered how fun Arena quests are. I at first assumes they were like pro level brutal challenges, but they're actually a godsend for when you want to casually kill a monster but have no time for any prep. Plus they act as a demo run of gear and weapon types that you may not have invested in before.

Anteo

At the Jaggi hunting quest on 1*. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have farmed most things I see, got every ore. I have no idea where to start with making armor or weapons. I did bring along two of the cats with me but havnt upgraded anything on them. I havnt bought much so I have about 10kz and all of my materials. Using the long sword is slow but seems alright

Im too at 1* still, try upgrading your weapon a bit, I would wait for a big monster like Velociprey to get a new set if you really need one. Also remember to sheat your sword whenver you need to move. Never move with the sword out

Nohar

Im too at 1* still, try upgrading your weapon a bit, I would wait for a big monster like Velociprey to get a new set if you really need one. Also remember to sheat your sword whenver you need to move. Never move with the sword out

Unless one is playing SnS, since you can use items without sheating your weapon prior, and the running speed is very good (though you can't do the panic dive).

Tarps

This started cropping up a bit in 4U as well but I'm feeling it even more this time around: There are too damn many account items now. Even with the field pouch helping out I'm running into a lot of "item pouch full" management issues any time I want to do some actual gathering and I feel like a lot of what's being picked up is just kind of there to take up space.

Prowler mode is made for Gathering, you don't need anything from the supply box so lots of space for items. Leave those pickaxes at home!

PLUS: You can now exchange all those account items at basecamp red box without ending the quest. Gamechanger.

Gala

Anyone up for the Balngonga urgent quest? Hunters hub ID is 03-4102-7844-8474

Edit: Of course, my 3DS loses the wifi connection when we engage the monster -_-

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Agreed with everything said and I would like to add that the 2DS is confortable to hold for long sessions. The 2DS is $70 in the US? It's not terribly expensive. Monster Hunter plays reasonably well on the 2DS. If it's a matter of budget, I recommend it.
I actually like the 2ds more than my new 3ds because the l and r buttons are better and the camera is just the touchscreeen instead of a little nub. Too bad that scheme is bad now because of hunter arts.
Prowler mode is made for Gathering, you don't need anything from the supply box so lots of space for items. Leave those pickaxes at home!

PLUS: You can now exchange all those account items at basecamp red box without ending the quest. Gamechanger.
Dont forget you can store extra items at the camp felyne so can farm to the M-m-m-maximum.

Tarps

Dont forget you can store extra items at the camp felyne so can farm to the M-m-m-maximum.

Wow. Did not know this. Gathering runs will be so efficient now. Especially with gathering type prowlers. Don't waste time gathering on training missions though, as everything will get returned.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Quick question is this game displaying True Attack Values like it did back in MHP3rd? Because compared to MH4U these Attack Power Numbers seem rather low in MHG.

Finally starting to get the hang on Adept Long Sword. It really feels good then you can reliably adept evade and punish the monster. Still not sure if I'm gonna stick with Long Sword though. I like finally being able to cut tails for once, but I still hear the the mighty song of the Hunting Horn out in the distance...

Tom_Cody

I'm sure you've heard this from everyone, but I would check out the Gaijin Hunter weapon videos if you haven't already. He does a great job explaining the appeal of each weapon.

MH4U was my first Monster Hunter. I went with Bow for my first 100 hours and I would definitely reccomend that to anyone that's getting started (not that it's specifically a noob weapon). The appeal for me was getting to fight at a distance from from the monsters so I could come to understand their attacks and movements better. Simply grinding up close with the Blademaster weapons just felt chaotic to me since I couldn't see everything that was going on. Now that I have a better handle on the MH, I came to enjoy Switch Axe in MH4U and now Lance in MHG.

As others have said check out gaijin hunter weapon tutorials, it'll show you how to efficiently use weapons.

But from you what said a longsword sound likes its in the right place for you.

vaderise

If there'll ever be a OT2 i have the perfect name for it:
Monster Hunter Generations |OT2| We Downloaded The Shockwave

(Yes t's a Limp Bizkit reference)

eschiver

I am at village 3, only upgraded my weapon to level 3. I would only start worrying about upgrading armor if I start getting two-shotted. Focus on weapon upgrades first.

Top Bottom