• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

I caved and bought it after I promised myself I wouldn't after spending around 100 hours with Kinsect Glaives in 4U. Now I've just got to try and decide between Adept Gunlance, Aerial Switch Axe or Striker Lance.

Are there any cool Long Swords to go after early on? Or should I just keep upgrading the Iron Katana...

Kind of want to make some cool looking stuff, but I'm terrible with looking at kiranico and figuring out what the hell is actually good

Kinsei

Banned
Am I the only one having fun with the small monsters/gathering quests?

I find them really boring. The only new area is the Jurassic Frontier which is basic enough that I had it pretty much memorized after about two or three quests and I have every other area memorized after exploring them for years.

Decided to focus on Gunlance, Striker style for now. Finally getting back into that defense/kaboom groove. Enjoying triggering that first art that has you blast forward and leap into an explosive lance slash.

Gvitor

Am I the only one having fun with the small monsters/gathering quests?

I don't mind them per se, the problem is the sheer amount of them, it gets really tiring.

I did only the quests villagers passed to me on 2*, then I went to talk to them afterwards and they all passed another batch of quests, and other villagers jumped in as well. There's 4 pages of 2* quests and 3/4 of them are gather/small monsters.

This feels exactly like Xenoblade Chronicles X in that regard, actually. I didn't mind the quests, but delivering them only to get 2 more in return gets tiring fast. Thank god that in both of these games those quests are (mostly) optional.

Is there some similar to Wycoon form MH4U?? Place where I can multiplay items and buy some of them.
If no, grinding for some essential items will be painful...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm just getting into MH and I like a quicker style weapon. The Dual Blades are fantastic for me right now, but I've only tested those, Long Sword, Great Sword, and Sword and Shield. Are any of the other weapons a bit quicker than Long/Great Sword and still fun to use?

what the fuck. i fought nargacuga and it wouldn't stay in one zone for more than 2 minutes at a time. beyond frustrating

i did get to use adept a bit though. rolling through its roar and bashing its face causing it to flinch was pretty satisfying.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm just getting into MH and I like a quicker style weapon. The Dual Blades are fantastic for me right now, but I've only tested those, Long Sword, Great Sword, and Sword and Shield. Are any of the other weapons a bit quicker than Long/Great Sword and still fun to use?

The insect glaive is strong and fast but it requires a lot of micromanagement to keep your buffs up and you have to upgrade the weapon and insect separately so it's not every welcoming to newcomers.

I don't mind them per se, the problem is the sheer amount of them, it gets really tiring.

I did only the quests villagers passed to me on 2*, then I went to talk to them afterwards and they all passed another batch of quests, and other villagers jumped in as well. There's 4 pages of 2* quests and 3/4 of them are gather/small monsters.

This feels exactly like Xenoblade Chronicles X in that regard, actually. I didn't mind the quests, but delivering them only to get 2 more in return gets tiring fast. Thank god that in both of these games those quests are (mostly) optional.
The rewards are pretty good though.

I'm getting some very valuable insect parts, tickets, ingredients and even a new housekeeper!

And you can always hunt the large monster roaming the map for extra fun (and rewards).

I definitely appreciate the chilling moments of Mobster Hunter.

Insect Glaive. Hits fast, gives stats, and even has a built-in jump so you attack midair/mount monsters more easily. Really fun weapon, and it's what I used almost exclusively in MH4U.

This time around I'm going back to Hunting Horn with Aerial style. I loved the Insect Glaive, but I'm definitely an HH man for life.

Neku054

Neo Member
So i havent played much on my n3DS, last time i truly played a game for a significant amount of hours on it was when MH4U came out and as far as i remember my C-Stick/Nub worked flawlessly then but...... today i noticed while play MHG that it has a hard time moving it down at all =/ super annoying more so when i was gonna spend today playing MHG exclusively

n3DS is out of warranty, 85$ to send for repairs and i wont get to play MHG if i do send it! Grr... So i ask... Should i just get a new n3DS possibly the MHG one or just send it in for repairs?

edit: Also to keep more on subject, I usually Main SnS in every game, dabbled with LS and CB but i feel i truly need to dedicate to a new weapon this time around. Thinking of Bowguns or Gunlance (Blast Charge or w.e. is called looks freaking amazing for movement lol). Adept style any god for Gunlances? if not whats considered the "Best" style for them

ChrisD

The influx of smaller quests gives me some serious Freedom Unite vibes. Between not having G-Rank and having a lot more "padding" quests, I can actually see me playing this for a longer initial period of time than I did with 4U. I just wanted to blaze through the (quite literally) useless Low-Rank in that game. It was like a whole day of play just to get into an actual portion of the game.

It may bug me later, but for now I'm completely fine with them. Maybe it's just that I'm not so bent on making progress this time, playing a lot more laid-back.

Anteo

So i havent played much on my n3DS, last time i truly played a game for a significant amount of hours on it was when MH4U came out and as far as i remember my C-Stick/Nub worked flawlessly then but...... today i noticed while play MHG that it has a hard time moving it down at all =/ super annoying more so when i was gonna spend today playing MHG exclusively

huh.. I ALWAYS had a problem moving down regardless of game, and I googled it and it wasnt the only one. That's why I ignore the nub most of the time anyways

Shengar

They're so small and usually end up far enough away that you can;t reach them for your counter attack though. I imagine Tiggy would be better for practicing it.

Yeah the'yre only great for timing only, not the attack. But for lance they are really good though.

I can't seem to really get into any weapon except the hammer for some reason.

It feels good, has nice impact and doesn't make you walk slow as hell while it's unsheathed

NotEasy

Wow what a surprise, you can visit the village from the first MH, too much nostalgia going on now :O

This background music <3

Wanderer5

Damn, watching gaijin's top 5 SnS shield video, and dat Dreadqueen Rathian armor. One of my endgame goals is to bring back my status set from MH4U but with SnS, and this armor looks wicked for that. I hate to see what the daviant version of Rathian would be like through lol (plus likely needs a very high HR to meet these guys), so I just plan at checking out Chameleos set for now, unless it got screwed.

Too bad the spider duo doesn't seem to be in this one through.:/

jonjonaug

Are there any cool Long Swords to go after early on? Or should I just keep upgrading the Iron Katana...

Kind of want to make some cool looking stuff, but I'm terrible with looking at kiranico and figuring out what the hell is actually good

The one made out of Anteka antlers looks cool, has just as good of an attack rating, and boosts your defense a little.

Beats

Needed a 5% drop (Najarala Marrow) for my weapon upgrade. I was considering just going with another weapon to skip it, but first hunt I went on I end up getting it lol.

What's your go-to weapon?

Why?
Hunting Horn because it's really unique and I like that it's a powerful support weapon. I like playing support in a lot of games, but the Hunting Horn doesn't feel like I'm playing support at all; I go in and attack just the same. It's a weapon that just happens to help my team, and that was an added bonus for me. I actually got drawn to it when I saw it was music-based and thought to myself, "How is that gonna work?" I immediately fell in love with its dynamics once I gave it a test-run.

The fact that each HH can have different songs and you have to memorize the order of the notes to play the correct song just drew me in more and more. I love a weapon that's more than just hitting something (which is why I was also drawn to the Insect Glaive and loved that, too!).

It's also really cool to see all the designs and hearing how it'll sound when it plays :).

Hunting horn because it makes me feel unique.

And the quest system feels a lot more convoluted this time although I was soaring when I started the game yesterday, lol.
My man!

sonny4p

Hey pros, I have the soldiers dagger lv2 and on village lv3 quest. I cant upgrade anymore until garuga parts show up in village lv5 quests. That cant be true right? I mean I feel the upgrades should open earlier than this because my weapon feels underpowered against some monsters already. It never felt like this in earlier games. Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

Shengar

I have literally no understanding or idea of how the HH works...is it a projectile weapon?

To put it easy, it's a hammer that could play music. Each moves produces different notes and combination of notes will results in music that gives positive buffs for the entire hunter on that map.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have literally no understanding or idea of how the HH works...is it a projectile weapon?

More like a support weapon that hits hard and a bit slow like a hammer kind of. You can play various melodies that buff yourself and party members making it really helpful online. I always have great respect for those that go HH even if I never do.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Bow (Not aerial) is awesome.
I feel like Hunting Arts at L1 are quite lackluster, though. Especially reading the L3 versions with things like "lasts 90s instead of 30"
Striker may make sense in the endgame, with 3x L3 arts. 10-phial L3 Energy Blade should hit.. quite hard. (250 MV + phials, reportedly)

I don't know why, but ranged weapons finally clicked with me (on 3DS, i was main LBG on PPSSPP\MH3rd). I couldn't use one for the sake of heaven in MH4U, but i'm going strong with HBG now.
Adept definitely helps. Free reload, yo.

Bow (Not aerial) is awesome.
I feel like Hunting Arts at L1 are quite lackluster, though. Especially reading the L3 versions with things like "lasts 90s instead of 30"
Striker may make sense in the endgame, with 3x L3 arts. 10-phial L3 Energy Blade should hit.. quite hard. (250 MV + phials, reportedly)

I don't know why, but ranged weapons finally clicked with me (on 3DS, i was main LBG on PPSSPPMH3rd). I couldn't use one for the sake of heaven in MH4U, but i'm going strong with HBG now.
Adept definitely helps. Free reload, yo.

I've never been able to wrap my head around ranged weapons in this series.

And by that I mean I tried it once on MH4U and gave up

Top Bottom