• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Tom_Cody

Lance question:

When using the Dash Attack it is possible to hit a monster repeatedly by essentially wedging yourself into it as you dash forward (this is easiest to do on downed monsters). Does anyone know how the damage is calculated for these hits?

Does it make sense from a DPS perspective to do the perpetual dash attack, or is it better to do the standard triple-stab combo (chained with side-steps of course)?

Kinsei

Banned
Lance question:

When using the Dash Attack it is possible to hit a monster repeatedly by essentially wedging yourself into it as you dash forward (this is easiest to do on downed monsters). Does anyone know how the damage is calculated for these hits?

Does it make sense from a DPS perspective to do the perpetual dash attack, or is it better to do the standard triple-stab combo (chained with side-steps of course)?

In previous games the regular combo was better than charging. I believe it's the same in Generations.

Does anyone know what a Bistro Ticket is and how to get one?

Keep eating before quests. The chef gives them to you randomly.

Cerity

Not sure on the damage calcs but I've always used the dash attack to inflict status or deal elemental damage. The normal combo for everything else.

Lance question:

The dash attack is more for a few things than DPS.

As Striker Lance, you will fill hunter arts FAST. And as Aerial Lance, you can press B during the charge to jump into the monster to catapult yourself or to do an aerial attack.

Striker Lance still has the old lance third strike, instead of the new delayed one.

delume

Finished all 1 and 2 star quest up to the Urgent. So much fun! A quick question about online play and the hunter's hub: when I eventually start online play does everything (gear, items, quests cleared) carry over? The thought of doing some of these gathering quests again is quite unsettling. 😉

Kinsei

Banned
Finished all 1 and 2 star quest up to the Urgent. So much fun! A quick question about online play and the hunter's hub: when I eventually start online play does everything (gear, items, quests cleared) carry over? The thought of doing some of these gathering quests again is quite unsettling. 😉

All of your gear and everything carries over. The Hunters Hub and Village quests are totally different. There aren;t nearly as many gathering quests in the Hunters Hub.

Fandangox

The equipment is universal, anything that you get offline or in online mode can be anywhere.

Faiz

there'sdozensofus.gif

Warms the soul, doesn't it?

The HH is the least popular weapon, isn't it? I want to say I read a dev saying that. Feels bad.

Sure ill come

Pretty sure gun-lances are the least popular.

Fujioka said people are less likely to pick Horn because it's a support weapon back at the MH4U but according to this Reddit poll more people were using horn online than lots of other weapons.

Offline os another matter of course and it ranked almost last - but even then both bow guns scored lower.

I rarely play online so I have very little basis for judging how many people play what, but I do think horn has come up in popularity in recent releases.

delume

Thanks for the quick reples! Will all hunter hub quests be open or will I start at one star quest again?

And to answer a question from a page back, the weapon I use is the longsword. This is my first monster hunter and I read the LS is a good weapon to learn with. It has taught me not to spam, the frustration of missing an opening and to sheathe my weapon when I am not whacking something. A few people talk about choosing their third weapon and I was wondering why three weapons seems the norm?

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks for the quick reples! Will all hunter hub quests be open or will I start at one star quest again?

And to answer a question from a page back, the weapon I use is the longsword. This is my first monster hunter and I read the LS is a good weapon to learn with. It has taught me not to spam, the frustration of missing an opening and to sheathe my weapon when I am not whacking something. A few people talk about choosing their third weapon and I was wondering why three weapons seems the norm?

You'll start at one star, but the hunters Hub one star is basically essentially village 3*.

Not sure why. I always just stick with one weapon in every MH (unless I'm using a blunt or ranged weapon and need to cut a tail) and I've never had any issues.

Tom_Cody

In previous games the regular combo was better than charging. I believe it's the same in Generations.
Thanks.

Not sure on the damage calcs but I've always used the dash attack to inflict status or deal elemental damage. The normal combo for everything else.
Ok, that makes sense. So it would follow the general rule of Motion Versus # of hits, meaning the benefit of pure damage versus elemental damage & status accumulation.

The dash attack is more for a few things than DPS.

As Striker Lance, you will fill hunter arts FAST. And as Aerial Lance, you can press B during the charge to jump into the monster to catapult yourself or to do an aerial attack.

Striker Lance still has the old lance third strike, instead of the new delayed one.
I'm using Striker lance and I definitely noticed how fast the charge attack hits fill up the special gauges.

Brannon

The game clearly wants people to use Prowlers for gathering; they don't need bug nets or pick axes if the tutorial is anything to go by, they have infinite stamina, they have their own items and never use the stuff they gather.

Unless there's limits on WHAT they can gather, I can get behind this.

Kinsei

Banned
The game clearly wants people to use Prowlers for gathering; they don't need bug nets or pick axes if the tutorial is anything to go by, they have infinite stamina, they have their own items and never use the stuff they gather.

Unless there's limits on WHAT they can gather, I can get behind this.

They're slower when transporting eggs and giant ores. That's the only time you should use your hunter for a gathering quest.

PokéKong

I've noticed the attack and elemental damage numbers are much lower in this game compared to 4U, and I'm assuming it's because some part of the damage calculation has changed this time around, but I can not find anywhere a breakdown of how exactly this works.

I've watched this one from Gaijin Hunter on how it works in 4U: (https://youtu.be/nCOkhVcArTQ)
So I take it one of the multipliers in that equation has been removed?

Kinsei

Banned
PokéKong;210349653 said:
I've noticed the attack and elemental damage numbers are much lower in this game compared to 4U, and I'm assuming it's because some part of the damage calculation has changed this time around, but I can not find anywhere a breakdown of how exactly this works.

I've watched this one from Gaijin Hunter on how it works in 4U: (https://youtu.be/nCOkhVcArTQ)
So I take it one of the multipliers in that equation has been removed?

It shows you the true damage now. See that that pop quiz at the beginning? In this game both of those weapons would show 250 attack.

How do palico traits work in this game? I remember in 4U, you would want to select 2 of one trait and 3 of another for first string, but it looks like there isn't a first string in this game. Is it just based on the two you have with you and the skills you train them with?
Also, I tried using DBs, but I think I'm going to switch back to LS until I get more stamina from food.

WVW69jaIJAosGjzsPC

PULL THROUGH!

Shadoron

I'm going to put a room up for the next couple hours. I like to do *all* the quests in each HR Rank. Gotta get that check mark.

Currently on 2*. All quests in order (small monster, big monster, and gathering) with the exception of the two harvest quests. I'm a HBG user, all weapon classes are welcome.

ID: 11-1498-0966-6225
Code: 0000

Kinsei

Banned
Wow Gammoth is awful. It's so big that when you're attacking it you can't see shit so you can;t dodge properly. I don;t think I'll ever try fighting it without aerial style ever again. This was the new monster I was most looking forward to fighting too.

I'm going to put a room up for the next couple hours. I like to do *all* the quests in each HR Rank. Gotta get that check mark.

Currently on 2*. All quests in order (small monster, big monster, and gathering) with the exception of the two harvest quests. I'm a HBG user, all weapon classes are welcome.

ID: 11-1498-0966-6225
Code: 0000

Joined.

Fuck I love playing aerial SnS, but everything I hear is that Striker SnS is the way to go (especially solo). Which weapons excel the most in aerial?

Tucah

you speak so well
My first Monster Hunter and while I'm still a little overwhelmed in some aspects (specifically in crafting aspects - when I should craft something new, upgrade current armor, which weapon paths to go down, etc), I've been fairly addicted and having a blast exploring the game and getting a feel for the combat.

Ultrabum

My first Monster Hunter and while I'm still a little overwhelmed in some aspects (specifically in crafting aspects - when I should craft something new, upgrade current armor, which weapon paths to go down, etc), I've been fairly addicted and having a blast exploring the game and getting a feel for the combat.

Kiranico.com is your friend. You can look at weapon paths there, but honestly just pick something you think looks cool. Look up on kiranico the items required to upgrade it and make sure you dont need high rank to get there.

VandalD

Cool to see someone new to Monster Hunter say they're having a good time with it. Yeah it can be tough to know when to go for upgrades or when to hold off. You just have to get a feel for it on your own. If hunts are feeling too long or you feel you're dying too quickly, then it's time for some upgrades. If things seem fine, then no need to use up resources unless you want to.

Top Bottom