• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Hunting horn. I like the attack ranges and angles that you can hit with. You get really wide range of attacks. The fast movement speed and support songs help a lot too.

Yeah I just watched a video on HH, looks dope. May have to give it a shot.

How hard is it to wrap your head around all the music/buff stuff? I'm not a master at this series by any means

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What's your go-to weapon?

Why?

Usually Long Sword, but after using it way too much in MH3U and 4U, I felt the need to branch out in this game. LS is a very easy weapon to learn with a nice combat loop that anyone can understand while acting as a good learning tool against monsters due to its combo potential and decent reach. Super satisfying maintaining your sharpness buff with special combos making it a welcome starter point for new players to get familiar with slightly deeper mechanics outside of mashing. It falters online when a greedy/mashy player will force his teammates to stumble with wide strikes though. Only aspect where newbies can annoy experts if not watching their swings.

Currently sticking with Sword and Shield(never really used it despite it always being the default), which is rather fun, love shield bashing for stuns while going for charge combos for damage. Add in the oils and it can be a real powerhouse despite the small reach and limited raw power.

I may start learning Bow to give range a chance finally.

OceanBlue

How hard is it to wrap your head around all the music/buff stuff? I'm not a master at this series by any means

I'm no expert but IMO it's better to get comfortable with your moves before you worry about playing songs (except for the Movement Speed+ and Mind's Eye song). I spent a lot of time learning the weapon trying to force myself to finish songs, and I'd just get hit out of attack animations. IMO the hunting horn has a really good moveset so you don't lose out on much if you don't use all of your songs at the beginning.

javadoze

Why?

Every game is something new for me.

MH3U was DualBlades because I was initially turned off by how slow most of the weapons seemed in Monster Hunter (this was also my first actual game in the series).

MH4U was ChargeBlade because I craved something that could deal more damage and was a touch more complex to use than the DualBlades.

MHGen is a toss-up between HuntingHorn and Bow. The former because it has complexity to it and is good for multiplayer and the latter for being the first time I cared to use a ranged weapon and got hooked after using it in the demo.

Kinsei

Banned

Why?

Dual Blades (swapping between aerial and adept styles depending on the monster I'm fighting)

In every Monster Hunter game i main a new weapon type so that eventually Ill be proficient at all of them and I decided that this time around I'd main dual blades. They are incredibly fast and if you know what you're doing also incredibly powerful. Adept style in particular is so much fun, you basically become a tornado of death that never has to stop attacking until you need ot sharpen.

It's simple memorization and has nothing to do with being familiar with the series, unless I'm missing something. Are you not actually playing yet? :p

The amount of songs each HH has varies. Could be anywhere from 3-6, and each one requires a specific order of musical notes to play (You'll see these notes on the top left. When you have a playable song on the staff, the notes and staff will get highlighted).

Each "note" is tied to an attack (X, X+Y, B), so in order to play a song, you need be mindful of how you attack. And be aware that "playing" a song is also an attack (but not counted as a note)! Study the songs, get a feel for your attacks' timing, and just survive like with any other weapon against a big monster. Missions are long, so once you get in one, stay in zone 1 and just practice what I said above. It's clunky, but you can check your songs if you need to by pausing and going to your equipment/status section. I forget off-hand the exact place.

As for the buffs, you'll have to keep an eye on them and reapply them when needed. They'll show up as icons next to the party's names. You can also apply a stronger buff by playing the song again, or simply doing an "encore" by hitting R again, which is how you "play" songs. But it all depends on your situation. Obviously you don't want to encore in front of a monster's charge.

You'll soon learn that you're not going to be playing a song every second. You have to balance attacking with purpose in order to play a song and attacking with purpose to just beat the shit out of a monster.

Wanderer5

Why?

Sword and Shield. Wanted to move away from Charge Blade and SnS sounded pretty awesome in this game (had a lot of fun with it in the demo too). The bladed oils look to be a nice addition for it, and its arts are pretty sweet.

I start mixing in some Hunting Horn playtime for MP closer to high rank probably.

Menthuss

Man, returning to Pokke village and encountering the monsters I last saw in Freedom Unite is so nostalgic. Reminds me of when I first played MH and getting my ass beat by Giaprey haha

Anyone up to do some HR1 key quests? Been sticking to village for a bit and haven't started online lol.

Here's the room: 61-6242-6528-8923 Pass: 1235

demigod

Anyone have problems with the preorder bonus? I bought mine from best buy and it tells me to redeem it on the eshop but when i try it there it tells me i have to do it ingame.

Neonsands

Neo Member

Why?

Bow, for sure.

None of my friends ever go with ranged weapons, or anything relative to support. Just part of the dynamic of the group, so I've found a deep appreciation and love for offensive support types. I originally tried the bowguns, but hated how stationary I felt when using them. Bow fixed that all up. I'm constantly moving, throwing out status coatings, and playing tricks on the monsters with bombs and traps. Honestly, it's just a really rewarding playstyle. Mix that with Adept style now, and I'm not sure if I'll even pick a melee class to switch with when I need to change things up.

MrPanic

I really want to play HH again, but the lack of the Brimstren Drakesong in this game ruins my hype for a possibly cool endgame HH. I'll probably have settle for the Despot's Thunderclap this time around because I really don't see any cool looking hunting horns other than the guitars.

Anyone up to do some HR1 key quests? Been sticking to village for a bit and haven't started online lol.

Here's the room: 61-6242-6528-8923 Pass: 1235

I'll join for a bit, haven't done any online yet either.

Wow, clutch subquest out of nowhere. I forgot to look at it, actually. And eat!

I apologize for any HH funny business, btw (sending people flying, interrupting, etc :p)

Cerity

In, was away for the weekend but I'm in now.

Rocking GS this time around, haven't really played GS since MHFU so this'll be interesting. Though seeing all the other arts makes me want to play those weapons too lol.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Can you actually kill the dinosaur that pops up as Danger in the village 3* pre-urgent?
HBG main, i kill off most village mobs under 8min, but the damn thing was standing after 60 flaming, 20 flaming 2, 99 normal2, 99 normal3, 60 pierce 2 and 60 pierce 1 lost into it.
Even with a 120 atk gun, i'm pretty sure that would kill an HR duramboros or something.

R0ckman

Did they change solo guild questing? The monsters are going down waay damn faster than I remember when I solo'd most of guild quests in 4U.

MouldyK

They are incredibly fast and if you know what you're doing also incredibly powerful.

I have played Low Rank MH3U with DB (first MH for me), played MH4U 50/50 with SnS and DBs up to the start of G-Rank (all Solo too)...

...and I still ain't good at them and don't know what i'm doing I feel lol.

Kinsei

Banned
what set gives razord sharp? I'm maining lance/db and I need that skill for sure.

Bnahabra armor.

Can you actually kill the dinosaur that pops up as Danger in the village 3* pre-urgent?
HBG main, i kill off most village mobs under 8min, but the damn thing was standing after 60 flaming, 20 flaming 2, 99 normal2, 99 normal3, 60 pierce 2 and 60 pierce 1 lost into it.
Even with a 120 atk gun, i'm pretty sure that would kill an HR duramboros or something.

Yep. I took it down with level 4 petrified daggers (the starting dual blade). Only do it if you're looking for a challenge though since ti took me 40 minutes.

Cerity

Wow, landing a level 3 GS charge and then pulling off the absolute evasion dodge is immensely satisfying. I don't know if the window for it is tighter or not but the speed boost after the dodge makes it all the more enjoyable.

Beats

It looks like they added a normal/bump map on Khezu. I'm fighting it in the Marshlands and it looks better than it did in 4U. Did they do anything to the textures on any other monsters?

also, Area 7 in the Marshlands has some nice lighting compare to other places. Can't really take screenshots since I don't have a capture device though.

It looks like they added a normal/bump map on Khezu. I'm fighting it in the Marshlands and it looks better than it did in 4U. Did they do anything to the textures on any other monsters?

also, Area 7 in the Marshlands has some nice lighting compare to other places. Can't really take screenshots since I don't have a capture device though.

New 3DS should be able to take screenshots via Miiverse, or to the SD card if you have CFW.

Top Bottom