• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

PokéKong

Everyone recommends Kiranico, and I guess it probably has the most comprehensive database, I personally can't really stamd its layout and interface, especially on mobile. There are actually some really nice apps on the Google Play Store, I got one called "MHGen Guide" that is quite slick. It shows you the weapon upgrade branches, groups all armor into their respective matching sets, and you can quickly see which quests are key and how you can most efficiently farm items you need.

TheOasis

Lance question:

When using the Dash Attack it is possible to hit a monster repeatedly by essentially wedging yourself into it as you dash forward (this is easiest to do on downed monsters). Does anyone know how the damage is calculated for these hits?

Does it make sense from a DPS perspective to do the perpetual dash attack, or is it better to do the standard triple-stab combo (chained with side-steps of course)?

When you do a Dash Attack, the Dash Attack Finisher move is what you should be using and not the prior flurry of hits before it. The finisher has a motion value of 70 for Striker, and 50 motion for the other styles. I've seen extremely quick speed runs for striker Lance + absolute evasion and absolute readiness Hunter Arts for chasing down the monster or just as safety nets where the player mainly just spams the dash attack finisher (In generations, the recovery animation of the finisher can be cancelled out of into a side/backstep, which allows you to then, immediately go into a dash attack into another finisher).

On the other hand, the flurry of hits of the Dash Attack burns through sharpness for fairly weak hits (16 motion value for each) and for it to be worth it, in terms of DPS, you need very big openings. The few times I've seen it been used efficiently though, is against the damage sponge-like elder dragons that let you just wail on them for long periods of time or in two player arena speed runs where the monster goes down so fast maintaining high sharpness for long periods of time doesn't matter much.

deim0s

I'm doing some 2 star key quests if anyone wants to join:

12-3824-6526-3450

Edit: Full

Nice hunting session man.

PokéKong;210369723 said:
Everyone recommends Kiranico, and I guess it probably has the most comprehensive database, I personally can't really stamd its layout and interface, especially on mobile. There are actually some really nice apps on the Google Play Store, I got one called "MHGen Guide" that is quite slick. It shows you the weapon upgrade branches, groups all armor into their respective matching sets, and you can quickly see which quests are key and how you can most efficiently farm items you need.

MHGen Database ;)

My first Monster Hunter and while I'm still a little overwhelmed in some aspects (specifically in crafting aspects - when I should craft something new, upgrade current armor, which weapon paths to go down, etc), I've been fairly addicted and having a blast exploring the game and getting a feel for the combat.

Welcome to Monster Hunter!

For low rank, weapons - just get the highest damage/sharpness that you have access to. For armors you can stick to the beginning armor and upgrade it when you need to. If you want, get the Tetsucabra armor and upgrade it - should last you to village 5-6 rank and HR 2-3 or do the Bullfango/Jaggi mixed set.

Ultrabum

Nice hunting session man.

MHGen Database ;)

Welcome to Monster Hunter!

For low rank, weapons - just get the highest damage/sharpness that you have access to. For armors you can stick to the beginning armor and upgrade it when you need to. If you want, get the Tetsucabra armor and upgrade it - should last you to village 5-6 rank and HR 2-3 or do the Bullfango/Jaggi mixed set.

Ya, it was a lot of fun!

Kinsei

Banned
I just killed a Misutzune so I've now fought all of the fated four! In terms of difficulty I'd rate them Gammoth > Glavenus > Astalos > Misutzune and in terms of fun factor I'd rate them Glavenus > Astalos = Misutzune >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gammoth.

I can't wait to actually get far enough into the game to unlock their quests so they don;t take 30+ minutes apiece.

ChrisD

Best aerial weapon(s) anyone?

HAMMMMAH

You lose the super slam, and that sucks. I live for the super slam. But the whole moveset pulls together to be highly fluid. Being able to continue your aerial attack and turn it into a triple swing on-ground, or starting a charge in the air to uppercut once you land is really rewarding.

I am running off of some hype right now though. Killed a Gammoth with my Mafumofu/Jaggi/Bulldrome armor hybrid in the Popo Tongue mission. Just wanted to see if I could or not. 35 minutes later and me and my Aerial Hammer stood victorious. Very enjoyable weapon/style for the fight! =D

I just killed a Misutzune so I've now fought all of the fated four! In terms of difficulty I'd rate them Gammoth > Glavenus > Astalos > Misutzune and in terms of fun factor I'd rate them Glavenus > Astalos = Misutzune >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gammoth.

I can't wait to actually get far enough into the game to unlock their quests so they don;t take 30+ minutes apiece.

It will be really cool unlocking the missions later and fighting them "for the first time", just to see how much faster they do go down!

Kinsei

Banned
So it turns out that the 3* Fated Four have tripled health. No wonder they took so long to beat. I guess the devs didn't want people to beat them so early.

Khezu

So what is the definitive monster hunter title. This or 4U?

It's very early, but so far I'm liking Generations more then 4U.
Hunter arts and style are really neat.

Also I'm happy to see some of the older cool zones return from past games.
IT's also nice there is a lot less verticality in those, I got pretty sick of all the tiny ledges everywhere in 4U.
Though those levels are still in.

TheOasis

Best aerial weapon(s) anyone?

Aerial Switch Axe has arguably the best aerial style in the game (with Energy Charge Hunter Art to stay in Sword Mode throughout the majority of the hunt).

Your aerial attack, in Sword Mode, consists of two separate hits: one on the way up (38 motion value) and the other on the way down (27 motion value). Not only are these aerial attacks quite powerful but the attacks themselves are fast allowing you to spam them quickly and rack up a high damage output. This also contributes by allowing you to mount the monster quite regularly.

Eusis

Man, I definitely want to jump in but I put "only" 20 hours into MH4U.

More importantly money's tight, my living situation is still fucked, and 7th Dragon III is FINALLY a chance to get a localized entry in a series I had been wanting outside of Japan and so I got that and am busy with it. Been booting MH4U up every so often for a game though.

TheOasis

I hope for mh5 they redesign / rebalance the switch axe and the phials, atm it might as well be called the big sword instead of SA

They actually achieved a good balance between having to switch between the Axe mode and Sword Mode in MH4U. However, like you said, for this game they scrapped all of that and made it so you never even have to SEE the axe mode or want to. Not to mention the fact that two out of three of the hunter arts for SA are for powering up sword mode exclusively.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They actually achieved a good balance between having to switch between the Axe mode and Sword Mode in MH4U. However, like you said, for this game they scrapped all of that and made it so you never even have even SEE the axe mode. Not to mention the fact that two out of three of the hunter arts for SA are for powering up sword mode exclusively.

It's really annoying because I like the mobility of axe mode better than sword mode but sword mode just does so much more damage it isn't even funny. They really need to patch in some balance there or at least make sure they fix it for 5.

Man, I definitely want to jump in but I put "only" 20 hours into MH4U.

More importantly money's tight, my living situation is still fucked, and 7th Dragon III is FINALLY a chance to get a localized entry in a series I had been wanting outside of Japan and so I got that and am busy with it. Been booting MH4U up every so often for a game though.
There's still plenty of game left in MH4U. Don't feel obligated to jump to this just because it's the newest one. Just play as much as you can of 4U if you enjoyed it in the slightest.

wwm0nkey

So does anyone know how much of the anime stuff is kept in this. My gf will straight up buy it off it has the Yowamushi pedal stuff in it

Khezu

I hope for mh5 they redesign / rebalance the switch axe and the phials, atm it might as well be called the big sword instead of SA

Same.
Axe mode is the main reason I loved the SA since MH3.

I was hoping the Stryker style would have taken away more of the swords moves and buffed axe mode, and there was at least one HA that was focused on the Axe.

Maybe a HA that would have worked similar to the CB, where you transfer all the swords phial power into the Axe mode.

ChrisD

So it turns out that the 3* Fated Four have tripled health. No wonder they took so long to beat. I guess the devs didn't want people to beat them so early.

Oh

OH

This makes one feel a bit of a god to know. You didn't just kill them when you weren't expected to, you did it three times over!

I think they could probably double every monsters' health in this game though. Things die seriously fast.

depward

Gosh what a feeling it is to go to Pokke village again. Yeah, played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on iOS... but soooo many hours spent in that village on PSP.

Same with Yukumo village with Portable 3rd.

Visiting both places brings much nostalgia.

I am LOVING this release. As someone who has played every form of MH, I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of the new systems in place. But really liking the visual flair of combat and the different styles.

Just did near 5 hours with 2 peeps. Went from start of HR4 all the way to 6. It was amazing.

And I still haven't settled on my first real high rank armor. I really need to settle at this point.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, so the endgame armors have a interesting upgrade mechanic. When you first have access to them, their most valuable unique skill is latent and you need to upgrade them to level 6 before the skill becomes active. The key mats required to get them to each level is a special correspondingly numbered ticket that drops from successively harder quests featuring the monster the armor is made from.

VandalD

So does anyone know how much of the anime stuff is kept in this. My gf will straight up buy it off it has the Yowamushi pedal stuff in it
I don't know about that in particular, or even what Yowamushi is, but I remember hearing that we got more crossover stuff like Star Fox and Strider outfits in place of stuff they couldn't bring outside of Japan due to rights issues. So that might be one of the things they had to take out.

Eusis

There's still plenty of game left in MH4U. Don't feel obligated to jump to this just because it's the newest one. Just play as much as you can of 4U if you enjoyed it in the slightest.
Oh yeah, though it's more of a "let's play while online is hot!" Thing.

Although I guess it's still warm for MH4U and I won't be keeping up anyway.

Astral

I've played the demo for a few hours. Are monsters supposed to take like half an hour to kill? I was playing with a friend and it felt like we were doing something wrong with how long it was taking.

Kinsei

Banned
I've finished every single 3* quest. Time to finally fight Malfestio! I really hope 4* doesn't have so many gathering quests.

I've played the demo for a few hours. Are monsters supposed to take like half an hour to kill? I was playing with a friend and it felt like we were doing something wrong with how long it was taking.

The demo monsters ion multiplayer were balanced for three to four players. In the full game they are balanced for two so they have much lower health.

PKrockin

The monsters in the multiplayer demo took us much longer to kill than in the actual game for whatever reason. Try the demo in single player, you'll probably kill it much faster.

SlashX

The demo was a total drag for me and my friend.I definitely felt like we weren't doing any damage to the monsters or the monsters had way too much HP;even when we played with a full room. It was pretty jarring, felt like my first go at Ceadeus from 3U. That wont be the case when you get the game though.

Sifl

I feel like people don't notice the "Capture" part of the Nargacuga Hr 2 quest. And if they do they waste the trap (or in the 1 I just did literally 8 traps) and don't remember to capture him.
Edit: Also I've killed the HR 2 urgent like 10 times and I don't even have it unlocked, ugh.

Astral

So it isn't like that in the full game then. Thank god. This is my first monster hunter and it was really turning me off from the game.

deim0s

I feel like people don't notice the "Capture" part of the Nargacuga Hr 2 quest. And if they do they waste the trap (or in the 1 I just did literally 8 traps) and don't remember to capture him.
Edit: Also I've killed the HR 2 urgent like 10 times and I don't even have it unlocked, ugh.

I always bring extras... just in case or it's just people really having fun pummeling monsters into goo.

spiritfox

I wish Capcom would just fix urgents already. Make it so that if you have it unlocked doing anyone else's urgent also fulfills yours.

Top Bottom