• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Isomac

Why is the 3D so unstable in this? It keeps flickering. I got new 3DS XL too. I don't remember other games being this bad.

jonjonaug

I've finished every single 3* quest. Time to finally fight Malfestio! I really hope 4* doesn't have so many gathering quests.

There's much less gathering quests starting at 4* Village quests. Instead there's a bunch of "kill two X" quests.
One of the key quests is to kill two Khezu

selo

My MH Story:

I had tried a monster hunter, on the wii I believe. As a big hater of grinding and repetition(this is why I despise MMO's), starting quests were not looking good, gather x this, kill x of that, so I dismissed it, calling it a grindfest (which i still kind of believe it to be the case :p). Anyways, friends and girlfriend got it for their 3ds (I didn't have a 3ds) and they became hooked, so they were pestering me to get a 3ds and 4U, didnt :p, so i waited a bit for the new version and here I am.

I still dislike the gathering quests and slaying, but I do enjoy a lot the hunting and preparation, kind of got attached to the Heavy Bow Gun Aerial Style, pretty cool to jump on the bosses to reload, and being able to dodge roll from the siege position, great stuff.

I think i've sunk around 18-20 hours since friday ;O, having a blast with my friends (except when slaying/gathering :p). 2ds though, so hands hurt after a couple of hours of playing

Wanderer5

Just go to the GAF MH discord group, we have been doing HR1 to HR3 runs a bunch of times there.

Yeah probably starting tomorrow, i check out this group, through I haven't used discord before. Had a lot of fun with GAF folks for MH4U.

There's much less gathering quests starting at 4* Village quests. Instead there's a bunch of "kill two X" quests.

*opens spoiler*

snow-white-run-away.gif

spiritfox

Dromes can all go extinct for all I care.

In fact, I will actively hunt them all down if I can make them extinct.

Can't believe we got them over the -ggis.

Kinsei

Banned
Malfestio armor is so cool and the cat version is super adorable.

Multiple big monster quests are great!

Gala

I was wondering for what armor I should go. I'm running Adept Bow and made myself the rathian bow yesterday. Right now I'm wearing the Tetsucabra armor. I'm HR3 in single and HR2 in multiplayer.

Cerity

Hunting YKK with a GS and going back to Kokoto and Pokke villages is seriously bringing on the nostalgia lol. Looks like I haven't forgotten the timings of the older monsters either, nailing them in the face with a level 3 charge will never get old.

Seil

Is there a farm in this or something to duplicate with? Have only 2 honey to my name

There's a Trader NPC in the Palico Ranch and you can access it via your housekeeper as well, for multiplying items. Initially you only have access to plants.

Mushrooms are unlocks via a Village 2* Prowler quest, "Jurassic Fungologist".
Insects/Honey/Jelly is unlocked via a Village 3* Prowler quest, "Bug Reports".
Fish are unlocked via a Village 4* Prowler quest, "Marshlands Fishing?".

Alternatively, all three are unlocked by reaching HR4 I believe.

Edit: Might as well throw out other unlock info for the Trader...

Second Cart: Village 5* Prowler quest, "Kut-Ku Earbreaker", or HR4.
Third Cart: Village 6* Prowler quest, "Surrounded by Blue and Green", or HR5.

---

Special multiplication byproduct unlocks:

Bumblepumpkin: Reach Village 3* or HR2.
Bindshroom: Reach Village 4* or HR2.
Butterfly Beetle: Reach Village 5* or HR3.
Armored Bream?: Reach Village 6* or HR4.

swnny

As this is my first Monster Hunter online experience on the 3DS, how to join fellow gaffers on the hunts? Any dedicated thread, channel or something?

Hedge

I sort of want to buy this, but then I also bought 4U at release and only played 10 hours. :(
Is it different enough to warrant buying X over just playing 4U?

Cob32

Just got done with the village quests (up to the credits rolling at least). This has probably been my least favourite MH game so far.

Until you fight the 'elite four' which are great, it's mostly just smashing stuff we already know the patterns of and strategies to beat. Looks like the guild quest endgame have some interesting variations at least so I look forward to getting there.

There's a Trader NPC in the Palico Ranch and you can access it via your housekeeper as well, for multiplying items. Initially you only have access to plants.

---

Thanks for the info. Unlocked the honey farming so far. I burned through the 99 I got already so I'm subsisting off of regular potions now

kaioshade

OK, so either i am complete ass at this game, or something is up.

I see videos of people using Hunting horn and smacking a monster in the face like once and getting a KO. I have been hitting Tetsu like 30 times in the face, no KO, even broke off both tusks.

Am i doing something wrong?

Mupod

---

On that note I fell down the Prowler rabbit hole last night. I played way too long not realizing how to unlock extra trades or carts. I have an insane number of points that I haven't been able to use, and I've still got quite a few cat quests to deal with.

From what I understand the strongest way to build a cat is to go Fighter/Big Boomerangs/Piercing Boomerangs with Boomerang Pro, Attack Up (L) and maybe Earplugs.

Up until now I have not paid attention to my cats at all - if they didn't loot things for me, I wouldn't use them period since they make monsters more unpredictable. Hell I didn't even have skills equipped on them until now. But they are level 18-ish - is there any way to 'recustomize' your cats or do I just need to hire a new Fighter (or Assist) and train him up from scratch? I also like my first cat's name and I don't want to dismiss him. I dismissed a cat once in an older game and that cutscene made me feel like shit.

I did notice that one of my cat quests made it so my cats get hired at level 7 or so now so if there's another one of those upgrades it won't be so bad.

I see videos of people using Hunting horn and smacking a monster in the face like once and getting a KO. I have been hitting Tetsu like 30 times in the face, no KO, even broke off both tusks.

KO (and other status effects) works like the stun gauge in a fighting game. You need to keep up constant pressure. Also if you do get a KO, monsters build resistance so the next KO is harder.

Additionally, there are individual attacks that might be better for damage than KO value. It's been a while since I used HH but if I remember right the recitals and backwards X+A upswing were the good KO attacks. The 'super pound' had shit for KO. I could be wrong but you get the idea - you might have been doing good damage but bad KO.

Pheace

Took me a while to realize that I actually needed to bring the felyne's with skills to unlock *with* to the monsters that unlock them. Since it unlocked them for all felynes I thought just killing them would be enough.

Noticed it after Iodrome didn't unlock Detox Horn for me, luckily one of the easier poison monsters to hunt :)

Edit: @ Above, you can move around cat skills/support moves at the special training area, you can also make them forget skills or retrain their preferred targets.

PKrockin

KO damage, like most other status, wears off over time--5 points every 10 seconds I believe. Gotta be aggressive. Although I would hazard a guess Tetsucabra has an initial KO threshold of 200, and each horn attack does something like 20 KO damage, so he should need to hit the monster ten times minimum to get the first KO. The other nice thing about impact weapons is even if you screw up getting KOs you're still depleting the monster's stamina by hitting it.

Mupod

Took me a while to realize that I actually needed to bring the felyne's with skills to unlock *with* to the monsters that unlock them. Since it unlocked them for all felynes I thought just killing them would be enough.

Noticed it after Iodrome didn't unlock Detox Horn for me, luckily one of the easier poison monsters to hunt :)

Edit: @ Above, you can move around cat skills/support moves at the special training area, you can also make them forget skills or retrain their preferred targets.

but you can't change their bias (fighter etc), name, or looks, right?

Pheace

but you can't change their bias (fighter etc), name, or looks, right?

Not that I'm aware of no though I haven't progressed far into the game yet.

You don't have to dismiss them though, plenty of reasons to have more felynes around. (And yeah those dismiss scenes are heart-wrenching)

Why is the 3D so unstable in this? It keeps flickering. I got new 3DS XL too. I don't remember other games being this bad.

That's the 3DS trying to track your face and failing. It uses the camera to see where your eyes are and that then adjusts the 3D - so you can move around more rather than having to stay in the 'sweet spot'.

You should be able to try re-orientating in the 3DS options. That could help.

Also make sure the room is fairly well lit so the camera can see you. Also what is behind your head could be throwing the camera off. Also try rubbing the camera with a soft cloth - it could be dirty.

The screen will flicker as you look or move away from the screen normally - so it could be just that - if it returns to normal when you look back at the screen.

spiritfox

Beginner with the bow. Any good starter equipment or tips?

There are 3 types of shot: Rapid, Pierce, and Spread. Gaijinhunter has more details about it, but generally Rapid is the most used. Your starting bow can carry you through Village as long as you upgrade it, and always use Power Coating as it's a 50% boost to attack. Also always keep in critical range. If you hit the monster in range your screen will shake, if it doesn't you're out of critical range. You're doing less damage out of critical range. The bow deals a lot of damage, but it can be a bit of a glass cannon. With Adept you can dodge pretty much anything, though.

Gaijinhunter video for more info and moves.

redcrayon

I've tried out all the styles as a lancer and settled on aerial- the added mobility makes such a difference after years of tanking hits!

In MH4, when fighting Tetsu, I'd be stuck in front of him guarding against rocks and being charged. But with aerial, going from a sheathed weapon to a jumping triple hit, then combo-ing into a single hit and then a finishing triple, it's given me loads more options to exploit. Being able to move around more makes targeting specific locations much easier too, and it's great going from being vulnerable in front of a monster to putting my foot on its face and vaulting over the top, dodging it's attacks while starting a fresh combo.

Haven't used the arts much so far, must experiment with them next. And the Prowler mode. And see if the meowster hunters are available yet. Man, I get lost in these games. Great stuff.

Isomac

That's the 3DS trying to track your face and failing. It uses the camera to see where your eyes are and that then adjusts the 3D - so you can move around more rather than having to stay in the 'sweet spot'.

You should be able to try re-orientating in the 3DS options. That could help.

Also make sure the room is fairly well lit so the camera can see you. Also what is behind your head could be throwing the camera off. Also try rubbing the camera with a soft cloth - it could be dirty.

The screen will flicker as you look or move away from the screen normally - so it could be just that - if it returns to normal when you look back at the screen.

I think you are right. I played this late at night before going to sleep. I also totally forgot the 3DS uses the camera for keeping 3D effect stable. Well the camera is like new now, so no annoying dust particles are going to interrupt my hunts anymore! Thanks for helping me!

Mupod

It's kind of insane how the only way to get evade extender in low rank is Nargacuga's set. And Normal Up is from...Shagaru Magala!? Someone hates heavy bowguns.

Gave Adept HBG another try after I finally had my Narga set and Najarala gun made. I still don't like siege mode very much and I see myself going to Striker later on. Maybe once I get better at pointing my gun in the right direction after an Adept dodge - right now I always end up facing perpendicular to the monster.

Tom_Cody

When you do a Dash Attack, the Dash Attack Finisher move is what you should be using and not the prior flurry of hits before it. The finisher has a motion value of 70 for Striker, and 50 motion for the other styles. I've seen extremely quick speed runs for striker Lance + absolute evasion and absolute readiness Hunter Arts for chasing down the monster or just as safety nets where the player mainly just spams the dash attack finisher (In generations, the recovery animation of the finisher can be cancelled out of into a side/backstep, which allows you to then, immediately go into a dash attack into another finisher).

On the other hand, the flurry of hits of the Dash Attack burns through sharpness for fairly weak hits (16 motion value for each) and for it to be worth it, in terms of DPS, you need very big openings. The few times I've seen it been used efficiently though, is against the damage sponge-like elder dragons that let you just wail on them for long periods of time or in two player arena speed runs where the monster goes down so fast maintaining high sharpness for long periods of time doesn't matter much.
Thanks!

Super helpful response.

With the evasion artes, I have found this game to be significantly easier and significantly more fun! About to finish 3* key quests and I'm still using the starting armor and only 6 hours in. It took me about 30 hours to get here in MH4U.

For those that use your phone to look up stuff - any app recommendations? I've tried MHGen Database and MHGen Guide but they don't seem to be run by LBG users - In the Weapons screen, Rapid Fire needs to be shown at a glance. I mean, all of them and Kiranico have all the LBGs, you just have to go into each individual one to see the rapid fire. It'd be super helpful to have it all at a glance. I make my gun decisions by whatever shot it RFs.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
How do I get access to the rewards for having a MH4U save? I want to outfit one of my cats in the cool armor.
When you start a new game your given the option to look for the MH4U save on your SD card.

Why is there a lack of rapid-shot bows in low rank?
Not just low rank but Final Weapon Forms are extremely limited in that regard too unfortunately.You basically only get one Rapid Bow per Element and that's it.

tuffy

It's kind of insane how the only way to get evade extender in low rank is Nargacuga's set. And Normal Up is from...Shagaru Magala!? Someone hates heavy bowguns.
Interestingly, Nargacuga's set has a lot of points in Expert now instead of Evasion which gives it more offensive potential than before. And it looks like the Shot Up skills are more for end game since Attack Up (L) looks like a better increase than a 10% shot damage boost until pretty far into the weapon tree.
Gave Adept HBG another try after I finally had my Narga set and Najarala gun made. I still don't like siege mode very much and I see myself going to Striker later on. Maybe once I get better at pointing my gun in the right direction after an Adept dodge - right now I always end up facing perpendicular to the monster.
That's been my experience as well, particularly when fighting solo. Adept's evasion window is very generous and it seems to come in handy against something like Nargacuga, but much of the time I'd rather just fire off the Absolute Evasion or Guns Blazing arts for a more controlled mobility boost.

Mupod

I've mostly been using Adept SA so far and it's pretty fun if maybe too straightforward. There's little reason to ever use axe mode outside of the occasional out of reach body part. Sword mode basically only has two combos, one for standing still in one place and one for doing a little more damage while moving around a bit. The perfect evade counterattack does work great and I really feel like I'm sticking to the monster constantly.

I think the only enemies I really didn't like fighting with SA so far were Nibelsnarf and Najarala. I didn't even bother fighting Khezu with it because I had just made a gunner set and I enjoy shooting helpless Khezus. Likewise my experience with the demo Mali...Malf...Owl meant I just went straight to gunning it.

It's also crazy how dramatic an increase you get from doing that 'monster parts' defense upgrade. I went from 91 defense wearing Kut-Ku to 181 in fully upgraded Ceanataur.

Interestingly, Nargacuga's set has a lot of points in Expert now instead of Evasion which gives it more offensive potential than before. And it looks like the Shot Up skills are more for end game since Attack Up (L) looks like a better increase than a 10% shot damage boost until pretty far into the weapon tree.

That's been my experience as well, particularly when fighting solo. Adept's evasion window is very generous and it seems to come in handy against something like Nargacuga, but much of the time I'd rather just fire off the Absolute Evasion or Guns Blazing arts for a more controlled mobility boost.

I don't hate Expert but it feels like it's on everything now! Both my blademaster and gunner sets have a decent level of critical eye. I guess it's better than the other crappy filler skills low rank sets used to have, but I feel super railroaded in this version.

Anyone wanna knock out the HR1 urgent real quick?

I made a room already

24-6918-4165-9775

password is 7139

edit: dc'd if anyone wants to do some LR I'm up for it

Enjoyed Tri, 4 and am enjoying Generations quite a bit. I absolutely love having Seregios back in the mix. It's Great Sword weapon, Rogue Sedition was my preferred weapon of choice. Absolutely loved the blade. When sheathed, it would curl up like a Swiss Army knife and just hang out on my back. I am super excited to be able to be reunited with this blade again. <3

redcrayon

Enjoyed Tri, 4 and am enjoying Generations quite a bit. I absolutely love having Seregios back in the mix. It's Great Sword weapon, Rogue Sedition was my preferred weapon of choice. Absolutely loved the blade. When sheathed, it would curl up like a Swiss Army knife and just hang out on my back. I am super excited to be able to be reunited with this blade again. <3
Awesome, I like fighting Seregios, he was the monster I considered my 'rival' in MH4 after loads of epic battles raging back and forth in the dunes. One of my favourite monster designs too, up there with Lagi for me.

Top Bottom