• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

I wasn't even going to buy this but I ended up impulse purchasing it on Friday and wasted most of my weekend on it, haha. As a SnS user, I'm extremely happy with how powerful it is in this game. Finally, my time has come! Overall, I love what they've done to streamline some aspects of the game, but there's still so much to keep track of. There's so many things I've forgotten since playing 4U! Even though there's a lot of stuff I still don't fully understand or remember, I'm happily plugging away at the village quests. I played online for a bit, but I feel like I need to get back in the groove more before I play multi, I definitely looked like an idiot in my first couple of multiplayer hunts.

Hermitaur Claws are a pain to get. I switched to hammer to break the claws, but it just ends up dieing before the claws break...

I need tips! Haha

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Can you mass cook for Rare steaks rather than well-done?
I need them for energy drinks =\

Kinsei

Banned
Hermitaur Claws are a pain to get. I switched to hammer to break the claws, but it just ends up dieing before the claws break...

I need tips! Haha

Capturing it gives you a 35% chance at getting a claw and the 4* village quest "Hunt-a-thon: Daimyo Hermitaur" has a 30% chance of giving you two in the quest rewards.

Nibelsnarf making me run back and forth between the area 3 Dune's Oasis and the two desert areas more than the law should allow, thus that was the most annoyingly tedious fight I've had for so far. (though Cephadrome comes close on account of simply being Cephadrome, my most hated monster)

So far these Prowler allies seem worse than the felynes in 4 Ultimate for some reason.

Boogiepop

So the thread's a bit big to dig through, but does it work out that certain styles tend to work better with certain weapons? Thinking of going with charge blade as it really clicked with me last time around, but I'm not sure what style to pair with it.

Moondrop

Banned
Gathering missions aren't bothering me so much due to Prowler. So I'm having a great time.

I'm also one to solo the village and then the hub as much as possible and then go online. I don't get going online day 1, but to each their own.

Another one is drastically reducing the amount of item sets you can register... Like why??? There is no reason to reduce those. All I end up doing is just carrying heat/cold drinks, antidotes, etc to every single hunt even when I won't need them.
Wait wait wait we can register item loadouts? Now I feel like a noob...

Gathering missions aren't bothering me so much due to Prowler. So I'm having a great time.

I'm also one to solo the village and then the hub as much as possible and then go online. I don't get going online day 1, but to each their own.

Wait wait wait we can register item loadouts? Now I feel like a noob...

bruh it's such a time saver. get on it asap lol.

Hybris

So the thread's a bit big to dig through, but does it work out that certain styles tend to work better with certain weapons? Thinking of going with charge blade as it really clicked with me last time around, but I'm not sure what style to pair with it.

I'm using adept mostly atm, but I'd also recommend Striker for the extra damage boost in axe mode. Energy Blade seems like the best art for an impact phial CB. I haven't used any elemental phial CBs yet, but I'd want to try spamming ultra bursts with load up + the extra max phials hunter art.

You can change style at any time, so you dont need to commit to one, experiment.

redcrayon

I wasn't even going to buy this but I ended up impulse purchasing it on Friday and wasted most of my weekend on it, haha. As a SnS user, I'm extremely happy with how powerful it is in this game. Finally, my time has come! Overall, I love what they've done to streamline some aspects of the game, but there's still so much to keep track of. There's so many things I've forgotten since playing 4U! Even though there's a lot of stuff I still don't fully understand or remember, I'm happily plugging away at the village quests. I played online for a bit, but I feel like I need to get back in the groove more before I play multi, I definitely looked like an idiot in my first couple of multiplayer hunts.
You're not the only one- it always takes me a few hours in the village to get back into the swing of things for multiplayer, I like to knock together a basic armour set first too.

redcrayon

Some combinations do synergise better than others, but really it's about what works for you rather than a definitive best loadout per weapon. I'm sure that aerial lance is weaker than adept, but damn if I'm not having a blast living out my fantasy of being an FF dragoon. I think it looks cool, anyway :)

Wanderer5

Fuuuu I definitely need to work on sharpness with SnS lol. Probably will look at the seltas stuff then, unless there a better set for sharpness at low rank?

Pejo

Fuuuu I definitely need to work on sharpness with SnS lol. Probably will look at the seltas stuff then, unless there a better set for sharpness at low rank?

May also want to consider gemming in Speed Sharpener. Each gem at level 1 gives 2 towards the skill, so you only need to fit 5 into your armor/weapon. I actually like it better than sharpness at low ranks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone have this circle pad pro for MH4U?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LVRXS8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love the thing after i got used to the analog stick position. Now however with MH Generations the shoulder buttons no longer work. Replaced batteries and did testing but they just don't work. They still however work for MH4U.

There is a newer version of the model with MHX branding. I assume the technical hooks that aren't working for Generations are supported in the newer grip with that game.

There is a newer version of the model with MHX branding. I assume the technical hooks that aren't working for Generations are supported in the newer grip with that game.

The MHX one seems to be for New 3DS LL, while the MH4G one works on Old 3DS LL. I kinda want the 4G one.

Just fought Malfestio for the first time.

Wow, what a fun fight. I love his design/aesthetics/attacks. So creepy and awesome seeing him twist his head and twitch around. Owls <3

jonjonaug

Wow, what a fun fight. I love his design/aesthetics/attacks. So creepy and awesome seeing him twist his head and twitch around. Owls <3
I like his design but really hated the fight. Seems too easy to get hit by a chain of attacks if he hits you once and the confusion status effect is just annoying to deal with. Right now it's in the "will not fight unless I have to" category along with Khezu and Nibblsnarf.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone have this circle pad pro for MH4U?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LVRXS8C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love the thing after i got used to the analog stick position. Now however with MH Generations the shoulder buttons no longer work. Replaced batteries and did testing but they just don't work. They still however work for MH4U.

That's what I'm using for MHG and the shoulder buttons work just fine.

I think the problem you're having is that the default option for ZL/ZR is set to activate Hunter Arts 2 and 3 instead of just emulate L and R like in 4U. Go into the options and change it and you'll be fine.

Wanderer5

Yay HR2 here I come.

Some of his confusion attacks are quite annoying, but the design of him and his equipment are pretty great. I love his quick head turns too heh.

Right now it's in the "will not fight unless I have to" category along with Khezu and Nibblsnarf.

Just faced this recently, and holy crap.

Cindro

Is it easier to go from Lance to Gunlance as it is to go from a random weapon to Gunlance, or is there not much overlap there?

I've put about five hours in and I'm still at a loss for which weapon to main. All of the ones I've tried and liked so far (Lance, Switch Axe, Charge Blade) I royally suck at, even against the Great Maccao. I want to just focus on one and master it, but I don't want to be so awful upfront that it turns me off of the weapon completely.

Gunlance is something I'm interested in later on, after I've already mastered a non-projectile weapon first.

delume

Really enjoying my time with this game, just hit village 4 star quests. Reading a bit about online play and is there any benefit (aside from learning how to play) in completing the village quests? Hunting the big monsters is what I crave for constantly but if I am getting good gear that will help me online I will keep going with the offline stuff. Thanks. &#128591;

Kinsei

Banned
I've finally finished all of my weapon upgrading. It's so nice to have some rare 3 weapons. I guess it's time to properly start the 4* quests now.

Really enjoying my time with this game, just hit village 4 star quests. Reading a bit about online play and is there any benefit (aside from learning how to play) in completing the village quests? Hunting the big monsters is what I crave for constantly but if I am getting good gear that will help me online I will keep going with the offline stuff. Thanks. &#65533;&#65533;

All of your gear carries over and you unlock transporter upgrades, new hunter arts, new food ingredients, and new arena quests by plying the single player too.

Really enjoying my time with this game, just hit village 4 star quests. Reading a bit about online play and is there any benefit (aside from learning how to play) in completing the village quests? Hunting the big monsters is what I crave for constantly but if I am getting good gear that will help me online I will keep going with the offline stuff. Thanks. &#128591;
Of course. Offline/village quests are how you advance the story and expand things like the trader, cook, and Hunter Arts (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this one). Why wouldn't you see it through? Offline/online are basically symbiotic up until you "finish" the story.

Pejo

Is it easier to go from Lance to Gunlance as it is to go from a random weapon to Gunlance, or is there not much overlap there?

I've put about five hours in and I'm still at a loss for which weapon to main. All of the ones I've tried and liked so far (Lance, Switch Axe, Charge Blade) I royally suck at, even against the Great Maccao. I want to just focus on one and master it, but I don't want to be so awful upfront that it turns me off of the weapon completely.

Gunlance is something I'm interested in later on, after I've already mastered a non-projectile weapon first.

I feel like this is the worst game to get into Gunlance. I'm not an expert in them, but they were always my backup/go to for large faster enemies in past games. The heat mechanic is annoying, damage has been reduced overall, and you can really screw up team members with Wyvern Fire and the individual shells.

Switch Axe was my main for the past 2 games, and I find it a nice beginner weapon that's very deep as you begin to master it. When you're in sword mode (as this version prefers), you don't knock teammates around, and you never bounce off monsters no matter the sharpness and their defenses. That alone makes it a nice learning tool. I keep hearing Aerial Switch Axe is the new hotness in this game, because you hit once going up and once coming down, for easy mounting. Maybe give that a try, sticking mainly with sword mode.

Maccao is annoying to try to learn on, because he keeps springing backwards with his tail. The dromes are basically all annoying to learn with. Maybe try to get to Azuros or Bulldrome and play around with them while you're trying to decide on a weapon/style. They dodge backwards a lot less so it's easier to get a feel.

Cerity

There is some overlap with the GL and normal Lance, mainly movement. If you're used to how slow the lance is you'll be able to adapt to the GL quickly.

GL isn't really a projectile weapon, more of an exploding lance. Just dive right in and get wyvern-firing monsters' faces if you're interested in it. Very fun weapon if you like explosions.

Gvitor

Aerial Switch Axe and IG are great and super fun.

I thought aerial IG would be redundant as hell, but it's much more fun than the normal jump attack.

delume

Thanks for the replies. I now understand how people talk about sinking hundreds of hours into these games. Massive. Back to the hunt!

Cindro

I feel like this is the worst game to get into Gunlance. I'm not an expert in them, but they were always my backup/go to for large faster enemies in past games. The heat mechanic is annoying, damage has been reduced overall, and you can really screw up team members with Wyvern Fire and the individual shells.

Switch Axe was my main for the past 2 games, and I find it a nice beginner weapon that's very deep as you begin to master it. When you're in sword mode (as this version prefers), you don't knock teammates around, and you never bounce off monsters no matter the sharpness and their defenses. That alone makes it a nice learning tool. I keep hearing Aerial Switch Axe is the new hotness in this game, because you hit once going up and once coming down, for easy mounting. Maybe give that a try, sticking mainly with sword mode.

Maccao is annoying to try to learn on, because he keeps springing backwards with his tail. The dromes are basically all annoying to learn with. Maybe try to get to Azuros or Bulldrome and play around with them while you're trying to decide on a weapon/style. They dodge backwards a lot less so it's easier to get a feel.

There is some overlap with the GL and normal Lance, mainly movement. If you're used to how slow the lance is you'll be able to adapt to the GL quickly.

GL isn't really a projectile weapon, more of an exploding lance. Just dive right in and get wyvern-firing monsters' faces if you're interested in it. Very fun weapon if you like explosions.

Thanks for the tips, guys! An exploding lance sounds awesome, but they sound more advanced than what I'm looking for right now - that, combined with the nerf Pejo described makes it seem like I should put that on the backburner for now.

But I still really like the Lance itself - maybe I'll major in Switch Axe and minor in Lance, with the goal of moving to Gunlance in the next game.

Alright, time to go git gud ~

Top Bottom