• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Awesome, I like fighting Seregios, he was the monster I considered my 'rival' in MH4 after loads of epic battles raging back and forth in the dunes. One of my favourite monster designs too, up there with Lagi for me.

Lagi is in this one, right? I'm not past 3* yet so I haven't found him.
Loving so much the return of MH3U monsters. I miss Duramboros, though :(

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nargacuga SnS Weapon + Affinity Oil + Critical Eye + 3= 100% Affinity

Never in my life would I have image for this to ever be possible in a Monster Hunter game.

tuffy

<3 <3 <3

Might have to brush up on my bow skills for Duramboros. The raining arrows were so strong against him.

Also, hi tuffy. I remember doing runs with you in MH4U. That was fun.
I remember you too! Good times. It's great to see my friends list light up with all my old Monster Hunting pals once again. I'm still chugging through the Village quests and getting some gear in order (like crafting that Nargacuga set), but I'll be shifting my focus to online hunts pretty soon.

QuasarJones

Neo Member
Hey all. First MH game I've played. At what point should I try jumping into online play with people here? I just crafted the Bujabuja Bu armor that people keep talking about, but that's pretty much it.

Loving the game so far. Been playing Guild LS, but want to try Adept LS once I get the core moves down. Also going to try learning HH for playing online, I like the idea of being able to support teammates.

Gvitor

Hey all. First MH game I've played. At what point should I try jumping into online play with people here? I just crafted the Bujabuja Bu armor that people keep talking about, but that's pretty much it.

Loving the game so far. Been playing Guild LS, but want to try Adept LS once I get the core moves down. Also going to try learning HH for playing online, I like the idea of being able to support teammates.

You can jump directly from the beginning. There isn't really an obligation to do the single player quests other than getting more stuff, the online is playable from the get-go and the Bujabujabu set should get you through Guild 1* with no worries, at the very least.

Pejo

I hate being a completionist. I basically forced myself yesterday to do all the gathering and small monster hunting 2-3* Village and 2* Guild quests. I don't know why these are still included in the game. Does anyone actually enjoy them? I just hate seeing a quest list that isn't fully checked off. God help me for the inevitable egg carry quests.

Anyways, I think this is my favorite game yet in the series. I really love the hunter arts to give a little exclamation point to each weapon. I've been flip flopping between SnS and IG this time, instead of my trusty old Switch Axe that i had been playing since 3rd gen. I really like the mobility of SnS, but I don't have any elemental variants yet, so I feel like I'm just killing a little too slow. The Affinity Oil sure helps though, I really love the two I have access to thus far.

I never really played IG in 4U, but damn I'm having the time of my life with it in Gen. I really like the moveset, and controlling the kinsect is really fun. I've already had more epic finishes on monsters with IG than any other weapon I've ever used.

Is there a way to tell which Glaives are cutting, and which are blunt, other than just looking at it and trying to figure it out based on design? Also, is there any good guide on what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with Jellies and upgrading the kinsect? I've pretty much just been pumping speed into it since I read somewhere a long time ago that it makes the insect travel faster.

QuasarJones

Neo Member
You can jump directly from the beginning. There isn't really an obligation to do the single player quests other than getting more stuff, the online is playable from the get-go and the Bujabujabu set should get you through Guild 1* with no worries, at the very least.

Right on, thanks. Looking forward to getting in there

Kinsei

Banned
Just got done with the village quests (up to the credits rolling at least). This has probably been my least favourite MH game so far.

Until you fight the 'elite four' which are great, it's mostly just smashing stuff we already know the patterns of and strategies to beat. Looks like the guild quest endgame have some interesting variations at least so I look forward to getting there.

Welcome to another game in the same generation.. MHFU only had two new monsters in the village quests (Hypnocatrice and Nargacuga), MH3U only had 2 new monsters in the village quests (Brachydios and Ivory Lagiacrus) and MH4U only had one new monster in the village quests (Seregios). The only time you'll fight a ton of new monsters in the village is when it's your first time playing a game from that generation.

I'm a returning player from MH4U. I had no idea what I was doing with all the different arts. haha. Now I'm doing some research on this. Been using Hammer in MHF2 and MH3U...changed to CB in MH4U.

Any new moves to CB? Has the CB been nerfed? Any feedback on CB from returning players?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Welcome to another game in the same generation.. MHFU only had two new monsters in the village quests (Hypnocatrice and Nargacuga), MH3U only had 2 new monsters in the village quests (Brachydios and Ivory Lagiacrus) and MH4U only had one new monster in the village quests (Seregios). The only time you'll fight a ton of new monsters in the village is when it's your first time playing a game from that generation.
Well 3u also had zinogre replacing lagiacrus.

jorgejjvr

Hey Guys, how do I get different arts for the Glaive? This needs to be done in offline?

Also, any suggestions on how to best make my insect fly faster, it is too slow. Not sure if it is best to upgrade it, feed it more speedy stuff. if so, any suggestion as to where best to find the speed ones?

Thank you!

Mupod

HH isn't as intimidating as it seems at first. Just remember that hiding in a corner playing songs isn't how the weapon is supposed to be used, its recitals are actually its strongest attacks (although quite risky). I'd actually describe its moveset as somewhere between hammer and longsword.

Branching out into new weapons is definitely always the way to go. I myself seriously picked up SA for the first time with this one and it's been working out great for me. I always avoided the 'weird' new weapons they added, forgetting my own advice - once you know the monster, you can usually learn any weapon against it easily.

I think you're fine to go online now, especially if you're playing with people from here.

Kinsei

Banned
Well it seems you're just getting burned out of the series now.

No I'm not, I'm just explaining to the person I originally quoted that if they want a ton of new Monsters in the Village then they shouldn't buy multiple games in the same generation since each game that isn;t numbered doesn't add a lot of new monsters.

Hunting Horn is great once you figure out the buff inputs. Each HH weapon has a specific buff associated with it. Some of the horns sound effects from MH4 made me literally LOL with how over the top and silly they are. Since some HH can get really silly looking visually.

As a weapon though, you can really do some nasty Impact damage onto the bosses face. The weapon is really good for monsters with very thick, hard to break hide. Some of the more late game bosses in MH sport really Cut resistant hide, so bringing a HH to the party is a great help for smashing off pieces.

Uragaan is one such boss you'll want a Hammer and HH for for higher ranked fights. Breaking their crown and jaw for a better chance of gem drops is a big deal for making end game gear/weapons.

I ended up buying 7th Dragon instead of this last week, so I'll be waiting a bit before getting it. Since I have the buffer, I figured I'd ask how Charge Blade people feel about the changes? I didn't play the demo much since I still have the old 3DS XL, and the demo didn't have touch pad camera controls which wasn't a very fun experience. My short time with the demo gave me an idea of how they changed CB, but I wanted to hear from some people here what they think. I basically need to re-learn the controls anyway, since the demo showed me I forgot how to play.

What's the best way to go with the hammer in this one?
Granted I'll be branching out more seeing that I'm all hammered out after it being my mainstay since the PSP but so far its arts seems pretty plain and not really anything particularly unique compared to other weapons.

I'm also not entirely sure what's going on with the Gunlance now with that newfangled meter.

Hybris

Also I'm glad Uragaan is back, my favorite monster to fight with a hammer.

He and Duramboros are my favorites for hammer. I'm realizing how much I've missed hammer. I hardly played it at all in 4U thanks to the charge blade. Can't wait till I can fight duramboros. How far into high rank is he?

Surprisingly, I'm still liking charge blade even though the playstyle is completely different than it was in 4U. Currently working on a focus/crit draw set currently to play some GS for the start of high rank.

QuasarJones

Neo Member
HH isn't as intimidating as it seems at first. Just remember that hiding in a corner playing songs isn't how the weapon is supposed to be used, its recitals are actually its strongest attacks (although quite risky). I'd actually describe its moveset as somewhere between hammer and longsword.

Branching out into new weapons is definitely always the way to go. I myself seriously picked up SA for the first time with this one and it's been working out great for me. I always avoided the 'weird' new weapons they added, forgetting my own advice - once you know the monster, you can usually learn any weapon against it easily.

I think you're fine to go online now, especially if you're playing with people from here.

RIght on. I watched the video on it, and it seems like that double note mechanic is pretty much telling you to get in there and hit stuff. One thing I've definitely noticed I have trouble with is timing on combos (on any weapon). It seems like there are big windows during which you can hit the next button in a combo, but there are definite sweet spots for maximum speed. Gaijinhunter was flying through combos twice as fast as I was. Didn't realize that was a mechanic, I had figured that combos were either you get the moves out or you don't. Really cool.

Hybris

What's the best way to go with the hammer in this one?
Granted I'll be branching out more seeing that I'm all hammered out after it being my mainstay since the PSP but so far its arts seems pretty plain and not really anything particularly unique compared to other weapons.

I'm also not entirely sure what's going on with the Gunlance now with that newfangled meter.

IMO guild is the best for hammer. Hammer is one of those weapons where every single move it has is important and giving up any of them hurts. Adept can be ok, but the others are just not worth using for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got done with the village quests (up to the credits rolling at least). This has probably been my least favourite MH game so far.

Until you fight the 'elite four' which are great, it's mostly just smashing stuff we already know the patterns of and strategies to beat. Looks like the guild quest endgame have some interesting variations at least so I look forward to getting there.

I actually went back to MH4U after a hefty amount of playtime with Generations this weekend. This new game is a nice bit of fan service, almost like getting the band back together, but its such a dry and rote progression. Not really certain its a strong starting point for new players, and older players will find the sluggish progression climb a bit muddy while not receiving enough new twists to make the old feel fresh again.

Outside of the downgrade in visuals in Generations(except for some added flashy fringe effects that do look great) the UI is also a lot cleaner and more pleasing in 4U as well which is all a bit odd. The Hunter Arts and Skills are a nice bonus but don't outright feel like major changes, just a bit of added flair and variety.

It's a solid Anniversary package celebrating the franchise, but it leaves me wanting MH5 proper far moreso than before this launched.

krpiper

This is my first Monster Hunter game, after only briefly dabbling (like 3 hours if that) into 4U. I did all of the tutorial missions and am working on the 1* ones, but I see why this game has its hooks in people.

I know I am not very far but Capcom, you have made a Monster Hunter fan!

Any tips for almost a complete noob?

Boney

Banned
Is there a good app database for iOS? Or at the very least a handy website?

Also we need more people's at the discord

This is my first Monster Hunter game, after only briefly dabbling (like 3 hours if that) into 4U. I did all of the tutorial missions and am working on the 1* ones, but I see why this game has its hooks in people.

Boney special tips:

1) always eat food by the cat (you sit at his table) before going out on a hunt. You can get health bonuses among other thing.

2) Start to learn how combining works. It's pretty automated since you can only select combinable items. So messing around with it on your box will end up giving you the combo lists for later. Important beginner friendly combine items are
a) Blue mushroom, which makes natural herbs and items into a direct manufactured and more potent item. Example Herb + B Mushroom = Potion.
B) Honey, which amplifies the effect of healing items. Potion + Honey = Mega Potion.

Another handy one are traps which are made with trap tools which you buy from vendors and combined with thunderbugs for shock traps and with nets (ivy + spider web) for pitfall traps. Pitfall traps are harder to come around because it needs two materials.

3) Try to not overextend your offense at times, especially with an agitated monster, get a few hits and roll away to avoid damage. Rolling forwards is surprisingly useful as well!

IMO guild is the best for hammer. Hammer is one of those weapons where every single move it has is important and giving up any of them hurts. Adept can be ok, but the others are just not worth using for me.

Huh you dont like aerial? Being able to chain hard crowd controls is pretty dam powerful!.

Kinsei

Banned

What weapon(s) and style(s) are you using? Once we know that we can give you specific tips instead fo general stuff like eating before every boss.

krpiper

What weapon(s) and style(s) are you using? Once we know that we can give you specific tips instead fo general stuff like eating before every boss.

I;m at work now so I dont remember the styles off the top of my head but I have been playing around with the Insect Glaive. Is that a good starter weapon?

Oswen

Kinda sad Lagiacrus (and Seregios too I guess) didn't get named variants.
As a flagship monster it probably deserved to get one aswell.

...and it's not like I'm biased or something.

Kinsei

Banned
I;m at work now so I dont remember the styles off the top of my head but I have been playing around with the Insect Glaive. Is that a good starter weapon?

It's a bit more complicated than others since you have to worry about upgrading both the weapon and bug separately but if you enjoy it then go for it.

It is weird that only soem of the flagship monsters got deviants. Kushala, Brachydios, and Seregios should have gotten one too. It's also super weird that this game has every flagship monster except Azure Rathalos.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Is there a good app database for iOS? Or at the very least a handy website?

Also we need more people's at the discord
Kiranico was my go to since mh4u. Still getting updated for generations.

Seregios can go fuck itself with its bleeding.

Yeah I've noticed the missing moves and links in some combos bugger up my flow heavily with the hammer.
After all it's not like it has much to begin with and the tradeoff always seems to be "even BIGGER hammer whomp" which really ain't worth it.

Does anyone have a link with a big list of all the new armour and weapons? With pictures too! I want to see whats new that I should get.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I recommend watching the ProJared Tips for Newbs series on Youtube(just search ProJared Monster Hunter and they will show up). Entertaining series of 4 videos(made for MH3U and 4U, but everything still applies). Covers all the fundamentals in an easy to digest manner and are just overall very well produced.

thefil

The adept dodge is bonkers. After so many years of spacing myself out from Khezu carefully now he uses his lightning AoE and I just adept dodge, charge back in and slap him in his stupid face. And that was on my first ever fight in adept style. The timing is generous.

Learning SnS this game, after using GS through MHFU and then guard lance/bow in MH4U. My damage output currently feels a little low, but I might just be bad. My goal is to never fall back to GS this game - I used it as a crutch in 4U as it's still the easiest weapon by far for me.

tuffy

Seregios isn't the only monster with bleed now!
That reminds me Portable Steam Bombs aren't a thing in this. Those used to be my go-to remedy for bleed status. Though Negate Bleeding is only a 5 slot skill and the Arisen Phoenix art would also take care of it, so there are workarounds.

Hybris

Huh you dont like aerial? Being able to chain hard crowd controls is pretty dam powerful!.

I was using it for a bit in some multiplayer and it seemed solid, but when anyone else was running an arial style, I felt like I was more useful racking up the dmg and k/o on the ground. If no one else was running arial, it seems useful to be a cc machine, but the majority of the hunts I've done, at least 1 arial style was present.

thefil

Only speaking for SnS, but aerial seems like the most boring style. Who wants to give up combo variation to just roll at the monster over and over again? And then when it falls, you can't even really capitalize damage-wise unless you have a Hunter Art or bombs ready. And the mount and jumping eats up valuable oil time. Also SnS already has more mounting options than the average weapon with the two jump attacks and the ability to jump up ledges.

Top Bottom