• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Hybris

Why on earth did they do that. So troublesome.

There's a few weird choices they made in this game... Another one is drastically reducing the amount of item sets you can register... Like why??? There is no reason to reduce those. All I end up doing is just carrying heat/cold drinks, antidotes, etc to every single hunt even when I won't need them.

Also locking item multiplication behind prowler quests? No thanks. Guess I'll wait till I progress in guild hall to get those. I have 0 interest in prowler mode quests. I'm still early on, but village is almost complete and I still can't buy bomb casings? MH4U was so much smoother in quite a few aspects.

they really ought to revamp rathalos. not like its going anywhere as a flagship monster. looking at it now it has one of the derpiest movesets in the game.

"i'm pretty sure i'm far enough from it's leg to not get charged. nope"
"i cut off it's tail so I'm pretty sure it's spin attack won't connect from here. nope"
"finally it landed, surely i can hit it now. *returns to the skies*"

i could fight the later gen monsters all day. retire these basic ass plesioth garbage movesets.

Kinsei

Banned
they really ought to revamp rathalos. not like its going anywhere as a flagship monster. looking at it now it has one of the derpiest movesets in the game.

"i'm pretty sure i'm far enough from it's leg to not get charged. nope"
"i cut off it's tail so I'm pretty sure it's spin attack won't connect from here. nope"
"finally it landed, surely i can hit it now. *returns to the skies*"

i could fight the later gen monsters all day. retire these basic ass plesioth garbage movesets.

Los has always been an awful monster IMO. No matter the game he's never difficult, just annoying. I wouldn't miss him if we only got Rathian in every game from here on out.

At least you can flash him out of the sky. Dreadking stays in the air even after you flash him.

Los has always been an awful monster IMO. No matter the game he's never difficult, just annoying. I wouldn't miss him if we only got Rathian in every game from here on out.

At least you can flash him out of the sky. Dreadking stays in the air even after you flash him.

RIP

rpmurphy

Are the wycademy points really plentiful in this game? Is there a reason for me not to readily use them to get goods from the trader and that I should save up for something?

gardfish

Ah man, I got SO close to beating Glavenus early on the mushroom-gathering quest he first appears in, but got OHKO'd on my last cart after I'd woken him up from sleeping and lost all the breaks I'd gotten from him. Then I tried again and found that he doesn't show up automatically on subsequent runs of the quest.

tuffy

O_O

Tell me more...
Playing as a Palico gives you an infinite stamina bar, no need for gathering items (pickaxes, bug nets, etc.), three deaths per cart, built-in autotracker skill, and some other perks. It's tailor-made for gathering.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Playing as a Palico gives you an infinite stamina bar, no need for gathering items (pickaxes, bug nets, etc.), three deaths per cart, built-in autotracker skill, and some other perks. It's tailor-made for gathering.

Holy guacamole!

O_O

Tell me more...

I've seen players online as their Palico. Did a couple of hunts and they really brought the pain on the bosses we took out.

Dunno if that's a unlock-able feature or something you can just switch to while Offline. But it was pretty cool feature.

Ninja Edit: They could perform arts and mount bosses same as you would if you were playing your Human avatar.

ajim

I haven't got generations yet as I'm in south Africa and it doesn't appear to be out yet so I'm awfully jealous of you all.

But, how does this compare to mh4u? Is it a big improvement?

xPhinehas

So I've been playing Monster Hunter since the PS2 days but have never really used Bowgun much and have decided this time around that I want to main it for online play. Can any of you bow gun users give me some recommendations for early game armor and wheather I should use light or heavy bowguns?

Doorman

Really starting to wish that the jelly/ambrosia gathering spots still had a more visually distinct look like nectars did in 4U. I've been thinking of delving into using glaives more but trying to run around for speed jelly and winding up with a handful of felvine instead is kind of demoralizing.

Along similar lines...is it just me or are shiny beetles seemingly more rare in early-game than it seems like they should be? The friends I was playing with last night, all of us were well short on them relative to how much early equipment requires them. Meanwhile I'm drowning in carpenterbugs, and don't even get me started on Royal Rhinos...

How does the game look/run on a vanilla 3DS?

I loved 4, but am worried about playing something that's much less than the intended experience.

Says it'll arrive between the 21st-23rd

Suddenly its out for delivery!

I'll mostly be playing with randoms and single player at start but may join up later on. My character name will be "Yume" if you see me!

As someone who only played 4U (and 15 hours of 3U) can't wait to see all the "new" Monsters! :D

Boney

Banned
Don't play random, start with gaf folks as soon as you can. There's always people at your level or others willing to help out. A much more pleasant experience.

Really starting to wish that the jelly/ambrosia gathering spots still had a more visually distinct look like nectars did in 4U. I've been thinking of delving into using glaives more but trying to run around for speed jelly and winding up with a handful of felvine instead is kind of demoralizing.

Along similar lines...is it just me or are shiny beetles seemingly more rare in early-game than it seems like they should be? The friends I was playing with last night, all of us were well short on them relative to how much early equipment requires them. Meanwhile I'm drowning in carpenterbugs, and don't even get me started on Royal Rhinos...
I've noticed some people struggle with them too. They appear more often in the dunes if you're not there.

How does the game look/run on a vanilla 3DS?

I loved 4, but am worried about playing something that's much less than the intended experience.
Looks much better. Somebody was commenting how the resolution of the textures is the same for 3ds and n3ds this time around so it makes it look much cleaner. Haven't noticed any frame rates issues and game looks phenomenal really, whereas 4 had it's ups and downs.

tuffy

So I've been playing Monster Hunter since the PS2 days but have never really used Bowgun much and have decided this time around that I want to main it for online play. Can any of you bow gun users give me some recommendations for early game armor and wheather I should use light or heavy bowguns?
Whether to use light or heavy bowguns depends on the style of play you like.

Light bowguns are very mobile; your movement speed while unsheathed is pretty fast and they sheathe/unsheathe very quickly. Their gimmick is the rapid-fire mechanic which multiplies a single shot into several bullets fired off machine gun style, but your hunter is anchored in place until all those shots are fired (which can get risky when rapid-firing a lot of shots).

Heavy bowguns are not so mobile; walking speed is slow while unsheathed, and they take a long time to sheathe and unsheathe. Each shot is quite powerful, however. Their gimmick is crouching fire which anchors your hunter in place in exchange for a large clip of powerful full-strength shots. But being anchored in place can be risky and Guild style takes a long time to get back out again.

For light bowgunning, any sort of damage boosting armor set is fine in the early game (like that Bulldrome/Jaggi mix). But for heavy bowgunning, I prefer sets that boost my mobility (such as Nargacuga) in order to keep targets in range and compensate for its slowness.

xPhinehas

Thank you very much for your input!

Whether to use light or heavy bowguns depends on the style of play you like.

Light bowguns are very mobile; your movement speed while unsheathed is pretty fast and they sheathe/unsheathe very quickly. Their gimmick is the rapid-fire mechanic which multiplies a single shot into several bullets fired off machine gun style, but your hunter is anchored in place until all those shots are fired (which can get risky when rapid-firing a lot of shots).

Heavy bowguns are not so mobile; walking speed is slow while unsheathed, and they take a long time to sheathe and unsheathe. Each shot is quite powerful, however. Their gimmick is crouching fire which anchors your hunter in place in exchange for a large clip of powerful full-strength shots. But being anchored in place can be risky and Guild style takes a long time to get back out again.

For light bowgunning, any sort of damage boosting armor set is fine in the early game (like that Bulldrome/Jaggi mix). But for heavy bowgunning, I prefer sets that boost my mobility (such as Nargacuga) in order to keep targets in range and compensate for its slowness.

I feel like I'm never getting my LS level up off of the adept dodge and always just getting it from the hunter art, I don't know if this style is working for me...

I might jump ship to aerial switch Axe since I've never used it and it seems awesome

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I understand they're padding it out a lot because there's no G-rank but the ramp up in the village quests is looong and slow in this game. So many gathering and small-monster hunts in the 2-3 star lists and they just keep coming and coming, holy crap. I've been playing all weekend and I haven't hunted anything bigger than a drome or arzuros.

Kinsei

Banned
Dragonite ore seems to be pretty rare in this game and I need 35 more pieces of it. I'm going to be mining in this volcano for a long time.

I understand they're padding it out a lot because there's no G-rank but the ramp up in the village quests is looong and slow in this game. So many gathering and small-monster hunts in the 2-3 star lists and they just keep coming and coming, holy crap. I've been playing all weekend and I haven't hunted anything bigger than a drome or arzuros.

you could just do the keys. Village doesnt really ramp up until 4 star imo

krossj

I'm in again. Got a copy as a gift today but probably won't be jumping on board for a while yet. Looking forward to trying out the new gameplay styles.

Pejo

Yea I feel you on this. I went ahead and crafted full Tetsucabra armor, and I'm already sick of looking at it just from doing all the gathering/small monster quests. I think I might just go online and get up to HR 4/5 and come back to the village stuff later.

Is there a list somewhere of all the things only unlockable through village quests?

I'm in the same boat. The amount of villager quests is insane; I've gained so many village points now. I've mainly been doing the Hunt ones, but I still haven't done all key quests in 3* offline. I'm one of those players that tries to do/guess as many of the key quests as I can, because looking it up is too convenient, but I've done so many quests now that I'm about to say fuck it and look 'em up, haha.

I've been enjoying myself, though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Ugh. I can't wait til I have access to more weapons (Bows specifically). Way too many spread bows in Low rank Village.
If you're specifically looking for Rapid Bows than to my own regret I have to tell you now that Rapid Shot Bows are very limited in this game. It's so limited I'm currently thinking about actually using a Bow that doesn't have Rapid Shot.

Yea I feel you on this. I went ahead and crafted full Tetsucabra armor, and I'm already sick of looking at it just from doing all the gathering/small monster quests. I think I might just go online and get up to HR 4/5 and come back to the village stuff later.

Is there a list somewhere of all the things only unlockable through village quests?

This is what I always recommend. Even the retail armor.

Come back to the village 3 stars and above with a significantly upgraded weapon and clean house.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
If you're specifically looking for Rapid Bows than to my own regret I have to tell you now that Rapid Shot Bows are very limited in this game. It's so limited I'm currently thinking about actually using a Bow that doesn't have Rapid Shot.

Might as well embrace it now. Guess I'm going spread!

Decided to try online for the first time. So my first Blangonga and a Nilbelsnarf were multiplayer. Randoms seemed fine, and most seem to be able to read when I want to use a good opportunity for wyvernfire.

Top Bottom