• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Ultrabum

So what abilities do people here push for with their armour sets? I currently have Speed Sharpener and Attack (S). Looking to start building a new armour set and would love to hear some suggestions.

Also, any way to farm Inferno Sacs through village quests. Have been thrashing Rathalos but he just won't give them up. Maybe I am misunderstanding how drops are shown on kiranico? Thanks for the help gang.

According to kiranico you can get them from village quests, but only as a reward. You have a much higher chance of getting it online in high rank quests.

You can also "pre-tranq" things, but I don't actually know how that works or what the timeframe is. And you can only get one preloaded, I believe. Seems too complicated to me haha.

Edit: You can throw both ahead of time? What is the time limit on them before they wear off?

If I remember correctly from previous games:

Large monsters have a "Tranq" status counter ranging from 0 to 150, that must be at 100 or above to capture the monster when it's trapped.

One Tranq Bomb gives 50 Tranq status points, so you have to throw at least two. (Ironically, since Tranq is considered a "status", if you have the negative armor skill Status Attack Down, each Tranq Bomb gives slightly fewer points so you'll always need to throw three.)

If you throw 3 the counter is at 150, and then like other statuses, it decreases by a small amount every X seconds. Kiranico has those values (example: an Uragaan's Poison status counter decreases by 10 every ten seconds).

Unfortunately it doesn't list Tranq status and I can't find another source, but I'm gonna assume it's the same for all monsters and it should be 20/5. So that leaves you 15 seconds to lure the monster to the trap if you use the pre-tranq technique.

redcrayon

So what abilities do people here push for with their armour sets? I currently have Speed Sharpener and Attack (S). Looking to start building a new armour set and would love to hear some suggestions.

Also, any way to farm Inferno Sacs through village quests. Have been thrashing Rathalos but he just won't give them up. Maybe I am misunderstanding how drops are shown on kiranico? Thanks for the help gang.
I tend to go for skills that I can't easily replicate through eating or items if I need them, or that will always be useful no matter the monster, so sharpener and attack up are ones I'd pick. Although less so with sharpener with most online hunts as they are over much more quickly and there's more opportunity to sharpen. Definitely for the tougher bosses and village campaign though. Also razor sharp (halves sharpness loss) and expert (critical hit/affinity rate up), so the Shogun Ceanataur was a good match for me.

Towards the end of MH Tri, virtually everything was happening in the volcano so I chose a heat-res armour set or gemmed it in to avoid heat damage from the floor when fighting there, but MHG feels much more varied in its environments per level so I just mind my footing more instead!

It's funny that eating for Felyne Insomniac completely negates Malfestio's blue 'sleep' wave (not his orange 'confuse' aura). Now whenever I fight him, the poor thing ends up futilely flapping his wings at me trying to put me to sleep while I stand in front of him, stabbing him in the face. Definitely worth doing if you're still wearing Tetsucabra armour and haven't got the materials to gem out its sleep weakness too.

burgerdog

Just beat Glavenus in village quests, very fun fight. Too bad it's going to be a very long time before we get to fight this dude in G rank.

ChrisD

If I remember correctly from previous games:

Large monsters have a "Tranq" status counter ranging from 0 to 150, that must be at 100 or above to capture the monster when it's trapped.

One Tranq Bomb gives 50 Tranq status points, so you have to throw at least two. (Ironically, since Tranq is considered a "status", if you have the negative armor skill Status Attack Down, each Tranq Bomb gives slightly fewer points so you'll always need to throw three.)

If you throw 3 the counter is at 150, and then like other statuses, it decreases by a small amount every X seconds. Kiranico has those values (example: an Uragaan's Poison status counter decreases by 10 every ten seconds).

Unfortunately it doesn't list Tranq status and I can't find another source, but I'm gonna assume it's the same for all monsters and it should be 10pts/10sec or 10/5. So that leaves you 50 or 25 seconds to lure the monster to the trap if you use the pre-tranq technique.

Yo thanks a ton for this! I never knew it was counted as a status... or how statuses work behind-the-scenes!

So three Tranqs thrown ahead of time can make for an instant catch, and presumably in a large window (compared to how short traps give, anyways). And considering how much damage a full team can dish out while the monster is trapped.. This will make Cap quests a lot easier to time properly.

Fandangox

Its heavily dependent on what type of weapon you use. I use Gunlance mainly so I always try to get Artillery Expert first, and then something like Guard Up + 2 or Razor Sharp since Gunlance's pellets eat through the sharpness of the weapon.

Something Focus and Crit Draw is very good for Great Sword, while Maestro would only really work on Hunting Horn.

This is just in general too, it also depends on your play style.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
That HR5 Plesioth is ridiculous. So many people get cared by his hip check. Took forever to find one other side who knew how to handle him and we duo'd it.

spiritfox

That HR5 Plesioth is ridiculous. So many people get cared by his hip check. Took forever to find one other side who knew how to handle him and we duo'd it.

It's normally the first high rank quest people do, and most of them will be wearing low rank armors. Plus Plesioth is a shitty monster.

Just did the c-stick mod on my n3DS XL and lord this is so much better.

hvC2cfcl.jpg

Thank you for this. I just did it (took all of 90 seconds) and it feels SO MUCH BETTER.

And it's reversible, so no losses even if it hadn't been awesome.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
do evade extender \ evasion+1\2 work on Aerial evade and Adept evade?

Also, how the HELL did this series get through 12 games and "Monster Information" still doesn't display elemental weaknesses?

Cerity

I'm having trouble wounding Ceanataur's claw with my S&S. Any tips? Would a hammer be easier?

Hammer would be infinitely easier in this case. It's claws are generally never in a nice spot for the SnS' reach. If you want to try with an SnS, you'll need to be abusing all of the usual - bombs, traps, mounting etc.

HR5 plesioth will wreck people for multiple reasons...
-People will still be in low rank gear by then, since the rest of the HR4 monsters go down in 5 minutes.
- Hipcheck hitbox is still bad
- Hard monster to heal against

Is there a way to get sushifish from the trader or somewhere other than doing a lot of fishing? Or is there another item that stops bleeding?

I'm second guessing my plan to grab the Narga DBs because of the NIbblesnarf and Ceanataur claws that upgrade path requires

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also, how the HELL did this series get through 12 games and "Monster Information" still doesn't display elemental weaknesses?

Pretty much the only thing I ever look online for are weakness affinities. Really difficult to remember which of my elemental equipment to take with me on some of the more savage hunts. Always disappointing to see how worthless the hunter's notes are for the bestiary in these games.

Seil

Is there a way to get sushifish from the trader or somewhere other than doing a lot of fishing? Or is there another item that stops bleeding

You can unlock fish at the trader for multiplication at either Village 4*, via the "Marshlands Fishing?" Prowler quest, or by reaching HR4 at the hub.

Comandr

Yo thanks a ton for this! I never knew it was counted as a status... or how statuses work behind-the-scenes!

So three Tranqs thrown ahead of time can make for an instant catch, and presumably in a large window (compared to how short traps give, anyways). And considering how much damage a full team can dish out while the monster is trapped.. This will make Cap quests a lot easier to time properly.

Understanding why monsters do what they do is an important part of the hunt. When they drool, they're exhausted, and they will look for food. When they limp, they're dying, and they will return to their den to sleep to recover health. ALLOWing them to sleep fully can be useful if you haven't done something like break a part or cut the tail. This sleeping period will let them recover enough health that you can attempt those again before they start limping again.

The secret to easy capturing is just letting them sleep.

• Paintball the monster.
  • Beat the crap out of it until it limps away. Do NOT chase it.
  • Watch your paintball (or psychic) until the monster stops moving for a bit. Helps to have Psychic2 for the full info (or a cat with Monsterdar) Monster will turn blue when it's asleep.
  • Set a trap RIGHT on top of it.
  • When the trap springs itself, the monster will be trapped.
  • Two tranq bombs and you're done. Prowlers also have free unlimited tranqs, so try to use them.

PKrockin

Wow prowlers are annoying to fight with online. The music and other sound effects all get drowned out by the incessant sound of charging up and whooshing boomerangs. I was about to turn off the sound effects entirely in the menu.

do evade extender \ evasion+1\2 work on Aerial evade and Adept evade?

I have heard they do not. They don't increase the window for adept dodges for sure.

Hunter notes have always been worthless crap despite having some potential. At least you don't have to pay for them in this game. But if you want to see elemental weaknesses without looking up the monster online you can go check out their armor set at the smithy.

ChrisD

Understanding why monsters do what they do is an important part of the hunt. When they drool, they're exhausted, and they will look for food. When they limp, they're dying, and they will return to their den to sleep to recover health. ALLOWing them to sleep fully can be useful if you haven't done something like break a part or cut the tail. This sleeping period will let them recover enough health that you can attempt those again before they start limping again.

The secret to easy capturing is just letting them sleep.

See, my problem is that things die before they show a limp lol. I go HAMmer (ba-dum-tss) on monsters, so the results are too often a failure due to killing.

This is only really a problem in Generations though. I'm still definitely going to have to make a Set to tell when guys are Cap Ready for online, or at least while going through Low Rank, because those are the most catastrophic. (That or just play alone in them.) So many people wailing on one thing gives no chance at all for the poor sucker to limp away.

Random story that reminded me of: my brother and I thought drooling meant a monster was almost dead when we first played Tri's arena mode. That Great Jaggi took us multiple tries to beat and a multitude of minutes (10+) on our first success. I remember him continuously asking, in an annoyed tone, "WHY IS IT STILL NOT DEAD, IT WAS DROOLING SIX MINUTES AGO?!"

Also we thought the Superman Jump was something to never ever use because it left you vulnerable so long. We stuck with that for weeks until Googling why you would use it and learned of the invuln frames. The good old days are pretty funny to look back at sometimes. :p

PKrockin

What are these hunters for hire and how do I get them?
Get a guild card from someone and their character will show up in your Hunter Hub when you're offline. Open the menu and send your card to someone when you're in a room with them and they'll likely send you theirs back.

It's a good idea to exchange cards with people you play with a lot because going on hunts with people whose card you have will get you Veggie Elder Tickets, which can be exchanged for good stuff.

Got to the last step of my nargacuga LS, so that my silver wind armor set would have 70% affinity, when I learn I need a wyvern crystal. What's that? Jump on kiranico, and I learn fucking ukanlos and akanlos are back. Dope. Unlocks at HR 60 and I'm at 59, perfect.

Farm those a bit. Few hours later join a Lobby for ukan, destroy it easily when the host suggest fighting amatsu. I'm thinking wtf is that. Oh shit, it's the elder dragon from portable 3rd. After we kill it, he says let's do alatreonmy, my old Tri Nemesis, and I'm thinkin holy shit, I'm 90 hours in an discovering new monsters I didn't know made the cut. I fucking LOVED that feeling.

And I haven't even fought half of the deviants yet. God I love this game.

Comandr

See, my problem is that things die before they show a limp lol. I go HAMmer (ba-dum-tss) on monsters, so the results are too often a failure due to killing.

This is only really a problem in Generations though. I'm still definitely going to have to make a Set to tell when guys are Cap Ready for online, or at least while going through Low Rank, because those are the most catastrophic. (That or just play alone in them.) So many people wailing on one thing gives no chance at all for the poor sucker to limp away.

Random story that reminded me of: my brother and I thought drooling meant a monster was almost dead when we first played Tri's arena mode. That Great Jaggi took us multiple tries to beat and a multitude of minutes (10+) on our first success. I remember him continuously asking, in an annoyed tone, "WHY IS IT STILL NOT DEAD, IT WAS DROOLING SIX MINUTES AGO?!"

Also we thought the Superman Jump was something to never ever use because it left you vulnerable so long. We stuck with that for weeks until Googling why you would use it and learned of the invuln frames. The good old days are pretty funny to look back at sometimes. :p

You're just too stronk. I play glaive, so most of my time is spent lining up jumps and throwing myself at the monster. So it has ample time to (usually) get out of my way and start limping.

The HR Malfestio set has Perception on it to tell you when its capture ready. So there's that.

Boney

Banned
Got to the last step of my nargacuga LS, so that my silver wind armor set would have 70% affinity, when I learn I need a wyvern crystal. What's that? Jump on kiranico, and I learn fucking ukanlos and akanlos are back. Dope. Unlocks at HR 60 and I'm at 59, perfect.

Farm those a bit. Few hours later join a Lobby for ukan, destroy it easily when the host suggest fighting amatsu. I'm thinking wtf is that. Oh shit, it's the elder dragon from portable 3rd. After we kill it, he says let's do alatreonmy, my old Tri Nemesis, and I'm thinkin holy shit, I'm 90 hours in an discovering new monsters I didn't know made the cut. I fucking LOVED that feeling.

Si-sixty!?

What

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, solo charm farmed for like 4 hours today and finally got the 3 slot evade dist +6 charm I was hoping for. Now I can make some nice armor setups I was looking at.

Just hit 60 like a minute ago and gonna farm some akantor if you want in
edit - done

Mupod

on the one hand I should probably unlock this coal delivery quest for myself and stop relying on others to host.

on the other hand it's funny seeing the silly rules and superstitions all these random people have about the quest. I just had a guy DEMAND we all be cats, follow his movements exactly, and deliver 40 coals. I just played along, lol.

Also surprising how many know about the deliver 12 coals one by one method. I just want to get my charm farming out of the way now so I don't have to worry anymore.

Top Bottom