• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Scher

Ugh sorry Scher, maybe I shouldn't have brought dragon-weak armor into that fight.

It's not a big deal! We could have tried again for you if you wanted. The room will still be up if you feel like hopping back in while me and the other work on stuff.

ChrisD

I remembered today that I love the Charge Blade, even in its not stupid-OP iteration of 4U. Impact Phials man. Mini Hammers on my axe.

I also got on a Perler kick and made a few MH things. Not pictured, the Felyne "weapon" icon I made for my Prowler maining brother.

BDgVIl1.jpg

MAINING, AUTO-CORRECT, NOT MAIMING

ChrisD

NO Prowler maiming! >=(

Those look great BTW. I did a few Hama things after the crafty Gaffer thread was posted here a couple of years back :p

I caught it literally as soon as the post went through. iPod's out for blood!

And thanks! I need to order some Hama colors one of these days. Your avatar also reminds me that Lagiacrus' icon would be an awesome thing to make. Google search showing some pretty sweet ones. :O

Astalos wingtalons are a myth. They do not exist. I have more plates than them for crying out loud!

Yo I had the same dilemma. Probably nowhere near as much as what you've fought, but it took six of the suckers before he coughed one up when I needed it for armor.

Still felt more annoyed hunting for a Lightning Sac though. Four Khezus before I finally got one. FOUR. KHEZUS. They just sit there. And roar. And kind of walk.

Then sit there

And roar

I hate Khezu

ChrisD

As an anything Khezus are lol tbh. They're a small ugly chicken that's honestly easier than Kut-Ku. But they don't have the nostalgia of Kut-Ku (The Fierce noob Killer!) and THEY STILL DON'T HAVE MUSIC UGH.

I get it Capcpom, it's blind, there's no music. That's great, I'm not even kidding. Laughed when it was pointed out. But there's no need for a silent battle in so many games. We can use music now.

redcrayon

Just helped someone beat the 7* urgent. I love the concept and design of the cuttlefish/tentacles/wyvern skulls, but it's a shame they didn't do much to change the battle compared to its earlier incarnation. Compared to Gogmazias and Alatreon, and also Jhen Moran and the giant snake from MH4, it lacks 'epic', the fight just feels a bit boring. Feels a bit like they thought it would work as the concept is cool, but the actual gameplay lacks the ebb and flow of the other greater dragon battles.

Feels very easy too- my first attempts vs Gog, Jhen and Alatreon all had me coming away thinking 'ok, I need to make fresh kit and change tactics'.

Was cool to see two of us had taken Felyne Insurance to cope with carting players though, I think I'll do that with my end run too.
Still, I'm looking forward to beating my own urgent and seeing what lies beyond.

redcrayon

Also kinda looking for an answer on this too as a Striker Lancer.
I like fencing to stop the deflect animation breaking your combos, but it's worth bearing in mind that if you are deflecting it's a warning that you aren't doing any damage.

Also constitution lets you block multiple attacks if you bunker down behind your shield a lot, guard will stop you getting pushed back and guard up will block tremors/beam attacks. If you prefer to evade and stay on the offensive, expert is good for raising your affinity, plus any skills that improve any status effects on your lance. You can make brutal stun/poison builds, stun is great for keeping a monster still while you deploy the high-damage corkscrew arts that have a big windup.

Not really relevant as I'm using aerial lance but I'm liking critical draw too, it makes the most of the sheathed jump attack.

deim0s

I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH. So, still 'rush to G rank' is the motto?

I see there is no G rank but I assume rush to high ranks or whatever? I felt slightly disoriented and carted last night on somebody and my shitty great sword kept bouncing. I was all types of off. It's weird. Same type of game but I haven't played 4 in 6 months and I feel like I'm just playing for the 2nd time.

Isn't this a great feeling to have? It means its something new.

Kinsei

Banned
I finished my Astalos armor set! Now I just need three more wingtalons to make the Astalos DBs and I can move on to Gammoth.

colinp

Banned
I'm rank 6 in village and 3 in hub and have been rocking SNS or Long sword with Ceanataur armor and am wondering what the next step for armor might be. Any recommendations?

Also, I kinda wanna try a gunner class so what's a good earlyish armor set to make for one?

Figures a Rathian/Rathalos combo quest (but only HR3) would be the first time I see a fail condition by other player carts in multiplayer. Could have just finished them off myself. Worst player was an HR6 individual. Bah.

I'll speed things forward myself, just the Gore and Seregios to do now that I started looking at keys.

Mupod

I'm rank 6 in village and 3 in hub and have been rocking SNS or Long sword with Ceanataur armor and am wondering what the next step for armor might be. Any recommendations?

Also, I kinda wanna try a gunner class so what's a good earlyish armor set to make for one?

nargacuga armor is the only way to go for heavy bowgun in low rank. Dunno about the others.

ceanataur should honestly be fine for the rest of low rank.

centracore

If anyone has the godcats and would be willing to share, I'll be around for the next few hours getting some work done and would love a break to pick them up. I really want the helper cats, but I'd take the prowler as well.

I'm looking for them as well if anyone has them - hope you don't mind me piggybacking your post!

CTLance

I... I have a confession to make, GAF. I've been playing through most of 3 * and all of 4 * village using only prowler mode. I blame the huge amount of gathering quests and kinda lacking difficulty. With an average (i.e. not cherry picked) cat it's less of a chore. Plus, no need for consumables like paintballs/drinks/traps/tranqs/gathering tools. Win/win, right?

When I played local CoOp with my buddy I switched back to Hunter mode and proceeded to make a complete and utter fool out of myself. Like, I was playing by mashing face on the controls levels of bad. I carted to Lagombi.

Lagombi.

Dammit.

Prowler Mode killed my leet MonHan skillz.

6yPENg2.png

Voror

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the best cats to look out for or rather scout for? Are any of the Special ones you can hire worth it?

I've seen mention of godcats but don't know if that's some special one from a promotion or just scouting until you get the right combination.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I... I have a confession to make, GAF. I've been playing through most of 3 * and all of 4 * village using only prowler mode. I blame the huge amount of gathering quests and kinda lacking difficulty. With an average (i.e. not cherry picked) cat it's less of a chore. Plus, no need for consumables like paintballs/drinks/traps/tranqs/gathering tools. Win/win, right?

When I played local CoOp with my buddy I switched back to Hunter mode and proceeded to make a complete and utter fool out of myself. Like, I was playing by mashing face on the controls levels of bad. I carted to Lagombi.

Lagombi.

Dammit.

Prowler Mode killed my leet MonHan skillz.

6yPENg2.png

I've carted to 3-4* LR stuff before. It actually makes me legit angry and want to turn the game off, haha.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the best cats to look out for or rather scout for? Are any of the Special ones you can hire worth it?

I've seen mention of godcats but don't know if that's some special one from a promotion or just scouting until you get the right combination.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/13/three-palico-prowler-builds-make-life-easier-monster-hunter-generations/

Also, gaijinhunter has a couple that are great that he gave out on reddit.

I don't know of any special promo ones that were incredibly good.

JP_

Banned
When I search youtube for vids of people using charge blade (aerial style), not much shows up. I want to see how it is in the hands of a pro. Would that exist or am I looking wrong?

Beats

When I search youtube for vids of people using charge blade (aerial style), not much shows up. I want to see how it is in the hands of a pro. Would that exist or am I looking wrong?

It could be that Aerial Style doesn't really make for the fastest run times with that weapon so that might be why you aren't finding much.

JP_

Banned
It could be that Aerial Style doesn't really make for the fastest run times with that weapon so that might be why you aren't finding much.

Found some more by searching in japanese :)

Lance SnS is a great duo. All of Lance's bad matchups are covered by SnS, so your game should probably be smooth sailing.

My suggestion would be to try something really different, like Hammer or Charge Blade. That'll keep things fresh if you're getting bored. Bow is a great start too since it's a totally different play style but is still easy to pick up.

Thanks for the rec -- charge blade is indeed a lot of fun.

I understand moves on Palicoes but how skills works??
I can equip skill, but how active it in battle ?? Works only in Prowler mode?? It works only on that Palico or can it work on hunter??

Mupod

22-1706-9795-7466
pass: 1111

Could use some help with my HR7 Nakarkos urgent. Will be delivering coal until someone joins

edit: thanks! Went straight to HR47, heh.

Less, but not half. I gave it a shot back in the first week when I couldn't find a party and even if you can evade all the attacks, you just can't output enough damage in time. Maybe if you use a lot of traps/barrel bombs, idk.
It seems possible if you are already in end game gear, will either wait for my gf to catch up or find a gaffer to farm with.

Comandr

Jesus Beats. The last time I did that with 3 people it took 27 minutes. You are stupid strong.

Edit: Chewing through Hellblade Glavenus if anyone wants in. 53-9749-3078-9159

Voror

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/13/three-palico-prowler-builds-make-life-easier-monster-hunter-generations/

Also, gaijinhunter has a couple that are great that he gave out on reddit.

I don't know of any special promo ones that were incredibly good.

Thank you for the link!

Ah, I may need to look into that then. I also just found his video regarding Palicoes for Generations. I'd missed it before.

Noted. I hired the Gatherer since I wanted one of those. I think I'll use them as a prowler for any delivery missions or if I want to get materials. Seems more efficient.

Thank you for the link!

Ah, I may need to look into that then. I also just found his video regarding Palicoes for Generations. I'd missed it before.

Noted. I hired the Gatherer since I wanted one of those. I think I'll use them as a prowler for any delivery missions or if I want to get materials. Seems more efficient.

Yea a lot of what people recommend are strong assist or healer cats, but some people prefer gatherers with the thief skills to get extra stuff. I have a couple of those that are just ok.

ajim

Just got the game and enjoying it so far, I'm only up to 3 star missions. But it's been great revisiting old fields and seeing old faces from previous games.

It's also great to see how the new movements (basic climbing/movement speed) gives a breath if fresh air to the older environments.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U is still my favourite MH game tho.

Voror

Yea a lot of what people recommend are strong assist or healer cats, but some people prefer gatherers with the thief skills to get extra stuff. I have a couple of those that are just ok.

Is that Boomarang cat mainly recommended if you want to play as a Prowler or is it one to take along with you as a hunter? Like combo it with a Healing one if you didn't want to trap a monster?

Anyone have the Monster Hunter Illustrations books? I'm eyeing one from Barnes and Noble since gave out a 20% coupon and I have some left over gift cards and curious how they are.

Anyone have the Monster Hunter Illustrations books? I'm eyeing one from Barnes and Noble since gave out a 20% coupon and I have some left over gift cards and curious how they are.

I have all 3 of them. IMO they are fantastic. Probably my favorite art books (but I love MH, so take that into consideration)

Top Bottom