• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Verelios

I still can't effectively use a Charge Blade. It feels so bad in sword mode, I unconsciously compare it to my main arms GS and IG, both which give satisfying responses.

ChrisD

I still can't effectively use a Charge Blade. It feels so bad in sword mode, I unconsciously compare it to my main arms GS and IG, both which give satisfying responses.

Personally I feel the A - X+A loop is satisfying, and the roundhouse feels really nice as well. It's really only the first X that feels bad. Second X (upswing) is cool because it actually reaches really high for them tails. But if I want to use that move I just forward roll into it.

What really feels bad on the Charge Blade is how... empty the Energy Blade Hunter Art feels. Like it slices diagonally upwards but there's no impact. Unless you break or cut something with it you're left feeling like, "...That's it?"

jonjonaug

Got lucky and ended up in a room with a few other people who were good at the game. We went through all the HR6 hyper monster quests and a large chunk of HR7. I only need one more Heavy Armor Sphere to fully upgrade my main armor set and I just need to do the urgent to get unlocked hunter rank.

RobbieNick

Okay, what Am I doing wrong in this game? I finished all one star quests, did the palico quest, save my game and when I turn it back one, it says the same two quests aren't done (mushroom gathering and bug hunting) and won't unlock two star quests. What's going on?

spiritfox

Okay, what Am I doing wrong in this game? I finished all one star quests, did the palico quest, save my game and when I turn it back one, it says the same two quests aren't done (mushroom gathering and bug hunting) and won't unlock two star quests. What's going on?

Is there a red dialogue bubble? You need to do urgent quests to unlock the next rank.

Kinsei

Banned

The little yellow bubble by them? That doesn't mean that they're not don, it means that they were a villager request. One of the key quests in 1* is a villager request to kill ten Jaggi. Talk to people with a speech bubble over them to get it.

Im HR 50~, almost have a deviant armor set ... and still no idea what weapon i'm maining this game, styles are good, i've never switched weapon this much before.

Gotta do one silverwind 8.
14-5170-6636-3423.

edit: i Am way too impatient, for creating hubs c:

Do people actually have fun playing this game with groups of 3 and 4?

Kinsei

Banned
There are so many scrubs running around pretending to be hunters. How can you call yourself a hunter if you can't fight a Deviljho or Rajang in low rank armor?

Yukumo Gal speaks the truth.

Gotta do one silverwind 8.
14-5170-6636-3423.

edit: i Am way too impatient, for creating hubs c:

Do people actually have fun playing this game with groups of 3 and 4?

If you're sick of farming something then groups are fun since it makes things go more quickly. I'd never play in one if I actually wanted to fight the monster.

Depends on the group, and depends what we're doing, but yeah. What's your problem with groups? Stuff too easy for you?

1 player : I love the challenge, but fights go on for too long sometimes.
2 player: Engaging fights, still gotta stay on your toes, but can pull off some cool teamwork combo's that feel rewarding.
3/4: Constant flash bombs, traps, being tripped over. Just feels like a mess!

Fistwell

1 player : I love the challenge, but fights go on for too long sometimes.
2 player: Engaging fights, still gotta stay on your toes, but can pull off some cool teamwork combo's that feel rewarding.
3/4: Constant flash bombs, traps, being tripped over. Just feels like a mess!
Well, as I was saying, all that depends on who you're playing with and what you're fighting. I've played in groups of 4 where I was never tripped over, it was not a mess, and maybe due to us being undergeared (or scrubby), there was still some challenge.
On the other hand, there are many fights in which with the right gear and knowing what you're doing you'll stomp the monster on your own.

Obviously, things do get a lot easier w/ 4. And a group of you +3 inconsiderate spirit combo spammers (or rapid fire pelleters, etc) will suck.

To each their own, but I don't just play for the challenge. The sense of camaraderie in a friendly group working well together is something I enjoy. It's kind of ironic though, for a series that has, to a large extent, built its legacy on being a fun MP game that people now question whether it's even possible to have fun in groups of 3 or 4. But yeah, I'd agree that things would be more enjoyable if they buffed monsters quite a bit, both in SP and MP.

Kinsei

Banned
Well, as I was saying, all that depends on who you're playing with and what you're fighting. I've played in groups of 4 where I was never tripped over, it was not a mess, and maybe due to us being undergeared (or scrubby), there was still some challenge.
On the other hand, there are many fights in which with the right gear and knowing what you're doing you'll stomp the monster on your own.

Obviously, things do get a lot easier w/ 4. And a group of you +3 inconsiderate spirit combo spammers (or rapid fire pelleters, etc) will suck.

To each their own, but I don't just play for the challenge. The sense of camaraderie in a friendly group working well together is something I enjoy. It's kind of ironic though, for a series that has, to a large extent, built its legacy on being a fun MP game that people now question whether it's even possible to have fun in groups of 3 or 4. But yeah, I'd agree that things would be more enjoyable if they buffed monsters quite a bit, both in SP and MP.

Is that really it's legacy in the west? Pre-Tri the series was very much all about the challenge outside of Japan.

Fistwell

Is that really it's legacy in the west? Pre-Tri the series was very much all about the challenge outside of Japan.
Japan still exists and games since pre-Tri have also happened. *shrug*

MP's been a big part of monhun for a while. But you're right, certainly more so in Japan.

Cerity

They've made the game much more accessible both difficulty and MP wise so I don't think it's surprising that people see it more as a MP based series instead of a challenging series now. Unless you had people to play local with, the only real way to play MP back then was to set up xlink kai and find a community.

It is a shame difficulty wise IMO, I remember a lot of the discussion around the time of the PSP games was simply how to beat village monsters. Dudes were hitting walls with village YKK/Khezu/Plessy/Tigrex, now you have dudes racing to high rank before having any real trouble.

Kinsei

Banned
They've made the game much more accessible both difficulty and MP wise so I don't think it's surprising that people see it more as a MP based series instead of a challenging series now. Unless you had people to play local with, the only real way to play MP back then was to set up xlink kai and find a community.

It is a shame difficulty wise IMO, I remember a lot of the discussion around the time of the PSP games was simply how to beat village monsters. Dudes were hitting walls with village YKK/Khezu/Plessy/Tigrex, now you have dudes racing to high rank before having any real trouble.

Yeah. I really hope they add a hard mode in future games that gets rid of things like delayed wake up, mounting, monster stamina, KO's, charms (never should have been added to the series in the first place), shortens the time monsters are in traps, and so on.

We've gotten so many new ways to wreck the monster since the first game but instead of buffing the monsters so they still pose a threat, they've gotten weaker with the addition of things like KO's, stamina, and mounting.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It is a shame
I don't really get this mentality tbh. How others/the community is playing the game or whether it's viewed as multiplayer-centric or not shouldn't really affect you if you like doing things solo. Things like heroics runs still exist and you can still work on speed runs while taking advantage of as many or few of the new mechanics as you'd like.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got lucky and ended up in a room with a few other people who were good at the game. We went through all the HR6 hyper monster quests and a large chunk of HR7. I only need one more Heavy Armor Sphere to fully upgrade my main armor set and I just need to do the urgent to get unlocked hunter rank.

I had some real good luck online yesterday, ended up bouncing into three different rooms all filled with super competant people and got all of HR2 and most of 3 taken care of, plus killed three Lagis and a couple Seregios for some weapons I wanted

Kinsei

Banned
I don't really get this mentality tbh. How others/the community is playing the game or whether it's viewed as multiplayer-centric or not shouldn't really affect you if you like doing things solo. Things like heroics runs still exist and you can still work on speed runs while taking advantage of as many or few of the new mechanics as you'd like.

Even if you ignore the new features then the game is still ridiculously easy. The monsters are made out of wet tissue paper until you reach the endgame content.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Even if you ignore the new features then the game is still ridiculously easy. The monsters are made out of wet tissue paper until you reach the endgame content.
But that endgame content is still there and is still good. New features/mechanics and accessibility allowed the game to sell better than ever, ensuring we actually get new games. Not to mention if we still had 2nd gen mechanics as is, I'd be bored stiff 3-4 games later.

I really hope the deviant system returns, but majorly tweaked.
Example idea.
10 levels, each level drops two permits ie. silverwind III A and silverwind III B. Need 10 levels of A and B for a whole armor set.
A permits drop 100% on completion, B permit drops 100% for completing increasingly challenging subquests or tiny % reward.

Cerity

It disappoints me as the game is really endgame loaded now and everything is more or less a cakewalk up until that point. Even if you take all the new mechanics aside, encountering new monsters during village quests feels more like a zoo visit compared to what they used to be like. I enjoyed hitting those walls during progression, I don't enjoy having to spend spend 20-30 hours plus before hitting those same bumps. Luckily they manage to add a bunch of new things with each iteration to keep me interested up until that point.

It disappoints me as the game is really endgame loaded now and everything is more or less a cakewalk up until that point. Even if you take all the new mechanics aside, encountering new monsters during village quests feels more like a zoo visit compared to what they used to be like. I enjoyed hitting those walls during progression, I don't enjoy having to spend spend 20-30 hours plus before hitting those same bumps. Luckily they manage to add a bunch of new things with each iteration to keep me interested up until that point.

But at the same time this isn't the case for new players. Monster Hunter 4U was the breaking point for the series in the west and many new players first wall was Tetsucabra of all monsters. Veteran players just have to realize they have just gotten gud.

Koeta

K got you guys, been open for 30 minutes going to close it for now and play some more :)
I got a few other people and a few who I think just wanted to fish as prowlers lol.

Sylas

Anecdotal, but I got the first MH to play with my friends when it came out. One of us snagged it as teenagers are wont to do and we all hopped on board to play together.

Since then just about every forum community I joined was more interested in helping each other out in MP and playing together. They were still interested in the challenge but it was far from the focus! People were setting up the router hacks left and right to play together.

It's legacy in the west from everything I've seen outside of gamefaqs (and now GAF I guess?) is the fact that it was a MP game that was wholly unlike anything else out there.

Kinsei

Banned
But that endgame content is still there and is still good. New features/mechanics and accessibility allowed the game to sell better than ever, ensuring we actually get new games. Not to mention if we still had 2nd gen mechanics as is, I'd be bored stiff 3-4 games later.

And said endgame content is not a large part of the game. 12 monsters out of 71 is not a good percentage. Even if there was more endgame content you'd still need to play through all of the really boring stuff to get there.

WVW69jdg6r8HquXKuF

Just being blocked by zenny now ):

Boney

Banned
i did and 3 silver, but this game is super stingy on zenny.
Low zenny and small FOV are my biggest problems with the game!
Silver eggs are crafting materials though.

What I'm doing for money is trading for God Bugs which sell for 20k the batch. So if you're not in need of Honey or something else, that's a good way to get extra cash flow for minimum point investment.

Moondrop

Banned
Perhaps y'all are right about this game being easier. Just soloed my way to High Rank in Rare1 Maccao gear. Guess it's time for Rare4 Maccao gear?

Trap cats are clutch.

redcrayon

Even on Tri, I remember Barroth and Gobul were the monsters forcing new players to up their game. Not to the extent of the infamous Plesioth in the PSP games, but multiplayer was full of people learning those fights. In MH4U, there were several village quests that had me restarting too. In Generations, I haven't seen a quest fail yet outside of me running out of time in a variant fight when playing solo.

Credits are rolling now after beating what I guess was Low Rank in the Village. That was a fun fight! Also, for the first time since I started playing MH, I was able to beat all of Low Rank without ever getting new armor or any defense upgrades. Adept style is too good.

Top Bottom