• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

ChrisD

No.Nope. No one likes this fucking thing. It makes me instantly want to close the 3DS.

One great part of lower health pools, shorter Kirin fights! :D

I don't know what they can do to make Kirin fun. Make him actually stand still for a second? ...Not really a fix since that happens frequently enough already. Remove the random bolts? That's part of Kirin.

But that's the heart of the problem. Those two things (Running all the time, dropping bolts) is all Kirin has going. It's a super simplistic fight but not in a good way. Great Jaggi is more complex while still being simple.

Kinsei

Banned
I hope they go back to the old style fo arena quests in the next game. The new ones aren;t a challenge outside of going for S rank times. Bring back special quests too.

Cerity

I only really find kirin fun with Hammer or GS tbh. Too much running around and trying to keep up involved with the other weapons. Haven't tried fighting it with a swaxe though.

There is so little need to cut of tails anymore with no high rank equivalent. That 5% rare item drop is pointless unless your upgrading that monsters regular armor. Remind them of that. Also, 2 knockdowns and one trap should be plenty for it to fall off, especially with 2 slash weapon users. Unless of course you are stuck rolling with people that only use the same blast or useless element weapon.
Personally speaking, it's hard to do all that solo. Especially since it breaks first before severing, and then you're at the mercy of RNG before it gets heated again. And by then it might be near death. Weapon handicaps could help, I guess.

Depends on who you roll with. 2 blast people for knockdowns. Go switch axe for perm minds eye. Or a crit draw user since you know you will be one shotting and sheathing 70% of the time. It's not so bad if the group is ready for it.
Rolling solo with an Aerial GL for now. Might be better with the HH (my other weapon of choice) because then I might be able to break its damn horn. But that would mean having to fight it again. Twice was enough in Village 6*.

jonjonaug

I'm at HR55, going through what's left of the quests that looks fun to do.

The Elder Dragons in high rank seem to have a higher health pool than anything else in the game. Chameleos took me like 25 minutes to kill offline.

Just recently started this game while skipping MH4 so there's a lot of info to take in.

Am I being dense or does Aerial Hammer not have the traditional superpound? I keep getting the uppercut despite charging for the longest time. Should I just stick with Guild styles until I figure out what I'm doing?

Just recently started this game while skipping MH4 so there's a lot of info to take in.

Am I being dense or does Aerial Hammer not have the traditional superpound? I keep getting the uppercut despite charging for the longest time. Should I just stick with Guild styles until I figure out what I'm doing?
I'm not a Hammer user, but sometimes styles take away certain moves and replace them with something else. For Aerial, I'm gonna take a guess and say this superpound move is used when you leap/attack.

You can check each style's moveset when picking them by hitting L/R.

I'm not a Hammer user, but sometimes styles take away certain moves and replace them with something else. For Aerial, I'm gonna take a guess and say this superpound move is used when you leap/attack.

You can check each style's moveset when picking them by hitting L/R.
Helpful tip, thanks!

Is there a difference between the Absolute Evasion hunter art and the insta-evade for Adept style? The animations look the same to me.

Cerity

I'm really liking Adept LS, every other style I've tried so far didn't really mesh all that well with the weapon or completely shut elements of it out. Whoever decided to lock the final swing of the spirit combo away behind the evade is genius IMO, it forces you to learn the monster's attacks in order to use the weapon to it's full potential.

redcrayon

How in the hell do you repel Nakarkos???
Inflict enough damage on it- it's only a 'repel' rather than 'kill' because of story reasons (for whatever the two paragraphs of story about lost expeditions the guild has!).

At its most basic level, at low rank, aim for the tentacles and keep hitting them. All parts use the same hp pool. Treat them like a normal monster, they have attacks you need to avoid, openings to exploit, and can be jumped on if using aerial style etc. There's nothing wrong with hitting them consistently with basic attacks, it has a lot of HP to wear down.

I'll spoiler this in case people want to learn for themselves, but this is what I've picked up so far.

When you stun it, it has a weak, fleshy spot in its shell you can attack, and red arrows will guilds you up its back, where you can hit a weak spot or mine for resources.

Pick up the glowing drops for decent ballista ammo, and then use them if the fight takes you close to one.

The 7* mission has a second stage. You can also use tranq bombs to cancel its laser attack from its mouth when it's charging up.

Cerity

Make sure you use the ballista's, there should be some shot and binder in the supply chest. That won't be enough so attack it's arms so that it drops more shot. It's pretty much the easiest way if you're still rocking LR gear.

redcrayon

Make sure you use the ballista's, there should be some shot and binder in the supply chest. That won't be enough so attack it's arms so that it drops more shot. It's pretty much the easiest way if you're still rocking LR gear.
Does anyone know if the drops you pick up, 'timeworn ballista ammo', are stronger than the ones in the supply box? Sounds like they should be and it's a minor point, but I'm curious!

Hybris

Does anyone know if the drops you pick up, 'timeworn ballista ammo', are stronger than the ones in the supply box? Sounds like they should be and it's a minor point, but I'm curious!

I've noticed that they have about double the fire rate of the normal ballista ammo. Not sure if there is a damage difference though.

How much does spirit and spirit + 2 buff characters?

I've been told it's 20 attack, 15% affinity for +2 in this game. It was slightly stronger in MH4U (25 attack), and it was largely considered an op armor skill because of how easy it was to get. Still very strong, but I have found it difficult to make a well rounded set with it in this game. Much easier to get weakness exploit and other crit based skills on one set.

Boney

Banned
clearing up HR7. gotta do the remaining three hypers in HR6 first tho

16-2178-7364-6215
I'll be on in 30 minutes

I've noticed that they have about double the fire rate of the normal ballista ammo. Not sure if there is a damage difference though.

I've been told it's 20 attack, 15% affinity for +2 in this game. It was slightly stronger in MH4U (25 attack), and it was largely considered an op armor skill because of how easy it was to get. Still very strong, but I have found it difficult to make a well rounded set with it in this game. Much easier to get weakness exploit and other crit based skills on one set.
Thanks! Doesn't sound that hot I guess. Just did the caravan armor cause it looks cool and put some gems for +2.

tuffy

Not only was Challenger +2 a bigger boost in 4U, but monsters were enraged more of the time. In Generations it doesn't activate for as long, so it's not a must-have skill like it used to be.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone have any suggestions for GS armor sets for mid-game play? I've been rocking BuJa since as early as you could make it, but now I'm looking for something with more def and better skill options...

Boney

Banned
Anyone have any suggestions for GS armor sets for mid-game play? I've been rocking BuJa since as early as you could make it, but now I'm looking for something with more def and better skill options...
You just got hr right? Volvidon has fast charge. Tetsucabra has punish draw which are quite handy skills to have. I think another early one has crit draw as well which is also great.

Pejo

One great part of lower health pools, shorter Kirin fights! :D

I don't know what they can do to make Kirin fun. Make him actually stand still for a second? ...Not really a fix since that happens frequently enough already. Remove the random bolts? That's part of Kirin.

But that's the heart of the problem. Those two things (Running all the time, dropping bolts) is all Kirin has going. It's a super simplistic fight but not in a good way. Great Jaggi is more complex while still being simple.

I always wondered why they don't give him a transformation, ala Zamtrios or something. Even making him grow and slow down a bit would be a nice change of pace. Maybe give you some zones to hit where you're not bouncing if you haven't gemmed in Fencing.

Anyways, I made the HR Gore armor last night just because I like the look. The Evade+ ended up being more useful than I expected on IG. I just wish I could get a decent talisman. I had an Expert+6 with no slots that I managed to get to +10 with gems in my armor, but that's really all I have going for me. Shame too, because the set looks awesome.

One of my favorite skills in past games has always been Spirit, but I can't get a good set with it yet at 6*. I like the effects that are either always helpful or that activate on their own. I ran a long time with a Zinogre mixed set in 4U that gave both Gloves Off and Challenger, and it was amazing when they were both active.

As a side note, I was really hoping that Gen was going to be the first MH game that let you have vanity slots or a Transmog system.

Speaking of Vanity, does anyone have a resource with the questline to unlock custom colors? I'm pretty sure it's Village, but I don't actually know that.

Hybris

I used a seregios/mosgharl mix at the end of low rank and into 7 star before upgrading:

Regios Helm
Mosgharl Ribplate
Regios Vambraces
Regios Tassets
Mosgharl Roots
-----------------
OO-
-----------------
2x Draw Jwl 1
2x Charger Jwl 1
1 slot spare

Gives Crit Draw and focus

jorgejjvr

mhgen.jpg

Best

Thing

Ever

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I used a seregios/mosgharl mix at the end of low rank and into 7 star before upgrading:

Regios Helm
Mosgharl Ribplate
Regios Vambraces
Regios Tassets
Mosgharl Roots
-----------------
OO-
-----------------
2x Draw Jwl 1
2x Charger Jwl 1
1 slot spare

Gives Crit Draw and focus

Thank you!

jonjonaug

Nibelsnarf sucks. Also just discovered aerial switch axe. Lose a few good moves buts its great.
Nibelsnarf can be fun if you know how to fight it. You can use large and large+ bombs when it does its charge attack and they'll blow up inside him. If you stun him by doing this (or just by hitting him a bunch) you can sheathe your weapon and fish him out of the sand. The fight has fun gimmicks but if you're not prepared it becomes protracted and boring.

Finnroth

Nibelsnarf can be fun if you know how to fight it. You can use large and large+ bombs when it does its charge attack and they'll blow up inside him. If you stun him by doing this (or just by hitting him a bunch) you can sheathe your weapon and fish him out of the sand. The fight has fun gimmicks but if you're not prepared it becomes protracted and boring.

Like...literally? With the fishing angle? This...I need to try this...omg.

Can't you also combo bombs and sonic bombs to trick it into swallowing bombs after it burrows?

Still, I'm not sure how they decided to include shit tier monsters like Plessy, Garuga, and Nibelsnarf while cutting out Nerscylla. Also why have so many Jaggi/beast variants but not as many elders?

tuffy

Absolutely. It doesn't even need to be after bombs, either. Anytime his head is sticking out of the sand and wriggling back and forth (like after being hit with a big attack), you can sheathe your weapon, run up to him, and fish him up with a little button mashing. But you need to be fast or he'll do a spin in order to escape which hits pretty hard. If you're successful he'll flop around like a fish on land for a lot of easy hits, though.

CTLance

Could it be that I just killed a Nargacuga by jumping off it using aerial style? One of my cats was slacking, the other was dead, and I don't think it was poisoned.

If that's really it: Huh. You learn something new every day. Also, note to self: Need to find YouTube video of Japanese pro hunters jumping a monster to death.

Pejo

Also a fun, lesser known fact - When a Zinogre is toppled, you can put your weapon away and capture fulgurbugs with a bug net from his back. I think I even got a shockfur once this way.

Good luck if you got a longsword user in the group though.

Dak'kon

Is it the HR6 "Coal Hearted" quest that is the best for charm runs or is there a better one at a higher rank?

Also a fun, lesser known fact - When a Zinogre is toppled, you can put your weapon away and capture fulgurbugs with a bug net from his back. I think I even got a shockfur once this way.

Good luck if you got a longsword user in the group though.

And you can also mine Uragaan's back when toppled!

Absolutely. It doesn't even need to be after bombs, either. Anytime his head is sticking out of the sand and wriggling back and forth (like after being hit with a big attack), you can sheathe your weapon, run up to him, and fish him up with a little button mashing. But you need to be fast or he'll do a spin in order to escape which hits pretty hard. If you're successful he'll flop around like a fish on land for a lot of easy hits, though.

And you can also mine Uragaan's back when toppled!

Do these prompt you like a mining/insect/fishing node? Or do you have to manually use the appropriate tool at the time?

Top Bottom