• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Dak'kon

Err... so Village NPC quests that get posted to the Hub don't get marked as completed unless you're the person who posted it? Why have they done this? As if Urgents weren't bad enough, now they're making numerous other random quests not count as completed unless you post them -_-

If anyone is up for doing turns for 4*, 5* and 6* quests to tick some of these off (or any other low-interest quests you want) I've made a room:

64-7681-8379-5005

Beats

But at the same time this isn't the case for new players. Monster Hunter 4U was the breaking point for the series in the west and many new players first wall was Tetsucabra of all monsters. Veteran players just have to realize they have just gotten gud.

That's sort of how I feel too. I think the bulk of the difficulty of past games was due to inexperience. I only started with Tri and played every single one since then. I thought the game was incredibly hard back then. My first Great Jaggi took me 20+ minutes to kill and monsters like Barroth felt like an impossible wall but I think if I went back to the game now I'm fairly certain it would take me significantly less time.

I dunno...just seeing the difference in quest completion times between veterans and newer players makes me think experience is a huge part of it even with all the newer stuff they're adding for players to take advantage of. It took me less than five minutes to kill a Cephadrome the first time in the village but I saw someone here say they took almost the full 50 minutes.

I suppose they could probably add a hard mode or something for veteran players so the ramp up in difficulty isn't as slow. If I had to add something like that I think it'd be cool to have two tiers of difficulty for each monster quest where the monster is faster, has more hp, higher resistance to staggering and status effects, deals more damage etc. in the second tier but gives out more rewards.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's sort of how I feel too. I think the bulk of the difficulty of past games was due to inexperience. I only started with Tri and played every single one since then. I thought the game was incredibly hard back then. My first Great Jaggi took me 20+ minutes to kill and monsters like Barroth felt like an impossible wall but I think if I went back to the game now I'm fairly certain it would take me significantly less time.

I dunno...just seeing the difference in quest completion times between veterans and newer players makes me think experience is a huge part of it even with all the newer stuff they're adding for players to take advantage of. It took me less than five minutes to kill a Cephadrome the first time in the village but I saw someone here say they took almost the full 50 minutes.

I suppose they could probably add a hard mode or something for veteran players so the ramp up in difficulty isn't as slow. If I had to add something like that I think it'd be cool to have two tiers of difficulty for each monster quest where the monster is faster, has more hp, higher resistance to staggering and status effects, deals more damage etc. in the second tier but gives out more rewards.

I think you've hit on it. A big part of why MonHun is hard when you're first starting the series is that you don't know the monsters, you don't know the weapons, you don't know the terrain, and you don't know the items. So you hit your head against the wall until you finally figure them all out and then when the next game comes it's easy. Even if they add new monsters you can figure them out easily by leaning on your experience.

The game isn't about leveling your character, it's about leveling you. The experience from one game carries over to the next, it's like starting a newgame+ with every new title before you even play through it. So if someone starts here they're going to have a hard time while if you played 4U you'll find it easy.

In terms of a hard mode I'd just like the option to skip right to high rank hunts. Like, cut down on the number of key quests needed to get through normal mode. Maybe one or two a star level, make them the new monsters, so we can build an armor set we can use in HR. I think that'd be a good way to do a hard mode, otherwise normal monsters become HR, HR monsters become G, and you'll need a super-G. Much easier to just cut out most of normal mode.

RobbieNick

The little yellow bubble by them? That doesn't mean that they're not don, it means that they were a villager request. One of the key quests in 1* is a villager request to kill ten Jaggi. Talk to people with a speech bubble over them to get it.

I did that one. Saved, then it acted like I never did it.

ilium

Finally taking a look at deviants and silverwind is pretty much exactly what I want.

So how does it work, I Post the hunt and after beating it I get access to lv 2? I assume it works like urents? How many does it take to get the complete Armor and all upgrades?

...and anyone up for Silverwind?

Completely forgot about talons, probably should of got them by now....

Finally taking a look at deviants and silverwind is pretty much exactly what I want.

So how does it work, I Post the hunt and after beating it I get access to lv 2? I assume it works like urents? How many does it take to get the complete Armor and all upgrades?

It takes at max 30 to get a full armor set + weapon.

KimChi

Err... so Village NPC quests that get posted to the Hub don't get marked as completed unless you're the person who posted it? Why have they done this? As if Urgents weren't bad enough, now they're making numerous other random quests not count as completed unless you post them -_-

If anyone is up for doing turns for 4*, 5* and 6* quests to tick some of these off (or any other low-interest quests you want) I've made a room:

64-7681-8379-5005

Good Hunts Dak'kon :)
So happy I learned Nibelsnarf can still be fished out haha

redcrayon

This was me too, I remember beating Barroth, Jhen Moran and Gobul all felt like climbing over a difficulty spike a dozen or so hours into Tri. Failed hunts were common online and it felt like a huge part of the online player base was still learning the basics alongside me. Looking back they all seem so simple to me now, but I loved being part of that online community learning the game together and having veteran hunters from the PSP games dishing out chunks of info that must have seemed incredibly basic to them in the same way.
I think you've hit on it. A big part of why MonHun is hard when you're first starting the series is that you don't know the monsters, you don't know the weapons, you don't know the terrain, and you don't know the items. So you hit your head against the wall until you finally figure them all out and then when the next game comes it's easy. Even if they add new monsters you can figure them out easily by leaning on your experience.

The game isn't about leveling your character, it's about leveling you. The experience from one game carries over to the next, it's like starting a newgame+ with every new title before you even play through it. So if someone starts here they're going to have a hard time while if you played 4U you'll find it easy.
This is absolutely true and something veteran players should remember. If you've played MH before you're stockpiling resources from the start and crafting items from memory that you don't even know exist as a new player, making it much easier even though you need them far less. The first time I saw someone use a farcaster in Tri to deliver a subquest drop in seconds it may as well have been magic to me as it's never mentioned in the villages, now I have the farm cranking out sap plants and stones for bomb casings and exciteshrooms to combine with them early on as I consider them a pretty basic delivery/emergency-escape tool.

As you say, even with new monsters you have a starting point of saying, for example, 'Seregios? Looks like a flying wyvern with big claws and a single horn that hangs out in the desert. I'll probably take dung bombs, flash bombs, cool drinks. I can probably break its tail and head for good drops and its wings and claws look like good targets too.'

Or
'Nkarkos? Those red arrows when it's stunned look like when we boarded Jhen Moran to mine/bomb/attack weak spots. The fleshy bits in its shell look less armoured if I get the opportunity. The tentacles lie still for a couple of seconds after some attacks, that looks like an opening. Ah, ballista bolts! Where's the bolt thrower then... Why are these tranq bombs in the supply box? They wouldn't be here if I couldn't use them...'

Monster Hunter carries so much forward from game to game, the crafting, the maps, the monster attack patterns, even some elements of its bigger boss/urgent battles. I think that's partially why fans keep coming back despite similar battles reappearing over and over again, it's a huge timesink that is reassuring to old players in that their knowledge gained over hundreds of hours still broadly counts for something, as opposed to learning a new crafting and combat system in each game.

Fandangox

Do people actually have fun playing this game with groups of 3 and 4?

For a change yeah, since I pretty much just played all of the Hub quests of 3U and 4U with the same person all the way, so getting to play with more people is fun. Shame that monsters do die REAL quickly on this one though.

It's been the opposite here were I've mostly played everything with the people at the GAF discord.

redcrayon

I'm willing to have the series drop Khezu forever just to have Gigginox back.
Giggi's music would be good to have back too. Felt like something out of a horror film. In terms of brute wyverns, I'd love to have Barroth back rather than Uragaan and Duramboros, I bet he'd be happy hanging out in the marshlands where he can cover himself with mud :)

It's time to retire Kut Ku too and bring back Peco.
Tri did have a great set of monsters considering how few there were in the original Wii game. It's monster equivalents just seem to have more character than their earlier archetypes.

ChrisD

Guy joins this lobby I was in earlier. After some quests with everyone, he asked where to find Dragonite Ore and Hercudromes. He was only HR2, so I grabbed a "Kill 20 monsters" quest from the Volcano. Showed him the areas where you can get the Hercudromes (I think they're relegated to two areas?), then went to kill the 20 while he gathered. Hopefully he got some of each!

I want to feel good about helping a new player out, but I definitely think the other two guys were probably annoyed at my course of action since it was their lobby, lol... The two had less than 30 quests under their belt and were already HR3 though, so I'll just say I was making them stop and smell the roses. :p

MildSoss

Probably going to go pick up this game up today after reading all the nice impressions so far. I'm guessing all of you or most are using discord to team up on here?

ChrisD

How do you give an npc a ticket anyway? Got one for the Kokoto Smithy, but dont see an option.

They're just crafting materials. Certain Armors/Weapons will require them.

Veggie Elder tickets are the only things you actually hand over to NPCs. And those are named to be p obvious.

Cob32

Props to anyone who manages to max hellblade armour. Acquiring hellblade powder is the greatest challenge this game offers.

redcrayon

I know it's been mentioned numerous times but I still wasn't prepared for that ending scene.

Really dug all the new monsters from this one, really helps round out the gen 4 monsters.

One of my fave monsters.
Even accounting for variants and subspecies, there is a huge amount of variety in creatures to hunt in the game. All of the MH games I've played have added some great new monsters, the creativity in creature design is really exemplary compared to a lot of RPGs that use your common-or-garden dragon as a first resort for a big lizard.

What I thought they could have done is included the giant spider (Nerscylla) from MH4 as it fights so differently from the general tactics needed for flying and brute wyverns that are applicable to Astalos and Glavenus respectively. Even Mizitsune is reasonably similar to Ludroth (although I love the bubbles!).

Even so, it's great to be spoilt for choice, I also thought it was a shame that Gammoth is both unique and has good music, yet is such a boring, easy fight against a largely static huge target.

What could have been cool, as a nod to Tri's water battles and sharks (there was a great arena fight where you had to turn up wearing your swimming trunks only), would have been to have had a water arena fight vs Zamtrios, but presumably it would have not been worth it to add the water combat and a huge amount of new animation. Still, I used to love my old lance that looked like a shark, paired with a 'no swimming' sign as a shield. Made me smile anyway :D

Edit: is Malfestio new for MHG? I really like that crazy owl, it's the well-observed nods to actual wildlife like its 180 degree neck-turn that really build the atmosphere for me.

Wanderer5

After a week of mostly working and checking out a convention, I am back in this game in force, through I did some village stuff and was able to wrap up making the nargacuga armor.

Fought three of the 4 flagship monsters, and Mizutsune is by far my favorite for now. Great design, great music, some nice attacks and that the bubble attacks kind of give a shump vibe to it heh.

Beats

Fought Amatsu for the first time today. It's a pretty cool looking monster, but it's a bit slow. Seems like it'd be tougher as a melee user. That charge up whirlwind attack is something though. The timing to dodge it seems pretty tough so it blew us up pretty bad. Feels like it'd be easier to just bring mats to make farcasters and use those so I might try that next time or maybe just get better at superman diving the attack haha.

also according to one of the capcom unity blogposts we should be getting access to more quests this friday. I guess we'll find out what they are during the week.

Kinsei

Banned
Fought Amatsu for the first time today. It's a pretty cool looking monster, but it's a bit slow. Seems like it'd be tougher as a melee user. That charge up whirlwind attack is something though. The timing to dodge it seems pretty tough so it blew us up pretty bad. Feels like it'd be easier to just bring mats to make farcasters and use those so I might try that next time or maybe just get better at superman diving the attack haha.

also according to one of the capcom unity blogposts we should be getting access to more quests this friday. I guess we'll find out what they are during the week.

We already know what they are. Go to the DLC and click on content preview. There's some arena quests, the Metroid Garuga quest, a couple Rathian quests, The fan club quest, and more.

Cerity

Fought three of the 4 flagship monsters, and Mizutsune is by far my favorite for now. Great design, great music, some nice attacks and that the bubble attacks kind of give a shump vibe to it heh.

Each time I fight Mizutsune it makes me want an arctic fox type monster and not a bubble fox/wyvern hybrid thing. Imagine a fox coming in at you from the sky head first.

ldl0PCo.jpg

Mizutsune is still pretty cool but I think the Glavenus is my favourite of the new monsters.

I killed the first encounter with Glavenus when you had to pick mushrooms at 3* village, which took me about 30-35 mins to kill using striker longsword (though I am better with adept, just wanted to try 3 arts for fun). How much hp is the one in the event in the hub? I read on reddit the first encounters you meet in low rank have 3x the hp, so I wonder how long it would take me to solo the hub event one. So far, I have killed Gammoth, Mizutsune, and Glavenus when I first ran into them, the only one that got away is Astalos, because that asshole just flew away and never came back. I do like that we can kill them in these encounters because a lot of other games would make them unbeatable encounters or something. Though it was pretty weird because they don't seem to go limp until they are really close to dead unlike a normal encounter.

Juraash

Well today has been reasonably productive for me far. Finished my solo run to HR which was not bad at all. Nakarkos was an interesting fight and I felt like I really didn't get what it was doing half the time, but it died/was repelled easy enough. Compared to some of the monsters I solo'd in 4G it was relatively easy.

That said, he looks kinda neat and the gear you can make is appropriately sinister so I dig. Especially since we don't get the equally grim Gogmazios gear in this one.

Now I'm using prowlers to get the mats to boost up my gear so I can start wailing on more HR stuff.

Kinsei

Banned
Glavenus is one of the worst monsters in the entire series. The length of a hunt shouldn't quadruple just because you want to cut of a tail.

Shengar

Glavenus is one of the worst monsters in the entire series. The length of a hunt shouldn't quadruple just because you want to cut of a tail.

It never felt that long for me to cut off his tail. I'm using SnS and destroyer oil is probably why. Also compared to other beast wyvern, Glavenus doesn't move around that much when tripped which makes it easier to cut it off.

Kinsei

Banned
It never felt that long for me to cut off his tail. I'm using SnS and destroyer oil is probably why. Also compared to other beast wyvern, Glavenus doesn't move around that much when tripped which makes it easier to cut it off.

The problem isn't the time it takes to cut it, but the time it takes or Glavenus to heat it up. I spent 15 minutes just running around in circles waiting for the tail to get red hot so I could finally cut it off. It's way too random.

Spot on, just like urgents. My advice: rush to 10, then get the tickets from the highest to lowest rank. That way you'll get bonus tickets for the easier hunts and hopefully cut down your farm. You'll need 5 of each for the armor, 1 of each per weapon.

Does anyone actually like fighting Kirin? Because fuck that thing.

The problem isn't the time it takes to cut it, but the time it takes or Glavenus to heat it up. I spent 15 minutes just running around in circles waiting for the tail to get red hot so I could finally cut it off. It's way too random.
Ugh, yes. Worse is when it's heated, you mount it, and it disappears. Unbelievable. One time I spent around 15-20 minutes running around, hoping it would heat it up. Never did so I ended up killing it. It was limping, so that might have been the issue. But, yeah... annoying just on the tail alone. Otherwise I do like the monster/fight.

There is so little need to cut of tails anymore with no high rank equivalent. That 5% rare item drop is pointless unless your upgrading that monsters regular armor. Remind them of that. Also, 2 knockdowns and one trap should be plenty for it to fall off, especially with 2 slash weapon users. Unless of course you are stuck rolling with people that only use the same blast or useless element weapon.

Does anyone actually like fighting Kirin? Because fuck that thing.

Depends on who you roll with. 2 blast people for knockdowns. Go switch axe for perm minds eye. Or a crit draw user since you know you will be one shotting and sheathing 70% of the time. It's not so bad if the group is ready for it.

Top Bottom