• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

CTLance

a prompt. you can mine Duramboros' tail too but only after its firmly planted in the ground after its grand slam move
You can also mine a toppled Uragaan.

It's really annoying how you only get one or two chances per occasion, though, and only if you're moderately quick about it. So stingy.

BTW: Most of these tricks are mentioned in the otherwise utterly useless monster list, usually on page three. Not that anybody would read that thing. Still, finally a use for it! Yay!

You can also mine narakos in High Rank when he topples. You see markers you can climb him. Run straight up to the rainbow colored part. Hurry though, because it's also the major weak point and you can do a shit load of damage if you hit it, but it's obviously impossible to gather if someone else is wailing away at it since the space is so tight.

Kinsei

Banned
Also a fun, lesser known fact - When a Zinogre is toppled, you can put your weapon away and capture fulgurbugs with a bug net from his back. I think I even got a shockfur once this way.

Good luck if you got a longsword user in the group though.

This is a lesser known fact? They even give you bug nets in the supply chest when you fight it in low rank.

CTLance

Say, is there any rhyme or reason behind the goodies dispensed by the Footbath in Yukumo?
Very, very rarely you get Tickets or Eggs (from the attendant), Lagniapples (from the stoner cat in the swim ring), most of the time nothing. Haven't noticed a pattern so far, but it's hard to check reliably since it doesn't show up with a bubble, sometimes requires multiple interactions - and I'm honestly not motivated enough to run all the way over there after each quest.

What else is there to do between quests?
There's Fleeceball Gathering from the Village Moofah in Bherna and petting Poogie/Moofy for extra luck (and punishing them by Rodeo in case the previous luck boost was not good enough). Oh, and Palico scouting, Meownster Hunting and Trading, I guess. Also Elder Dragon Bones mining at the huge Sword in Pokke and Charm melding in Kokoto, although those two are not really the same.

Not gonna lie, I feel a tiny bit unsatisfied by that stuff. I miss the Farm in 2/3. Yes, it was empty busywork, but it kinda set a certain mood. Now it's just about moving through menus for the most part.

My MH fever has finally broke after a disgusting amount of hours put in in just 2 weeks. As evidenced by:

I just built the entire akantor set complete with SA to try a bludging build. It's cool to enter with like 280 raw, but I wonder how often I will find myself going to it.

mhgen.jpg

Best

Thing

Ever

Is this what I want to buy?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IF00ZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just making sure. Seeing that others bought MHG after this is sort of reassuring.

Boney

Banned
My MH fever has finally broke after a disgusting amount of hours put in in just 2 weeks. As evidenced by:

I just built the entire akantor set complete with SA to try a bludging build. It's cool to enter with like 280 raw, but I wonder how often I will find myself going to it.
Broke? Nooooo

tuffy

It's just my luck that server maintenance would strike before I could get to that Nakarkos urgent, so ranking up shall have to wait.

Man, I'm having a difficult time finding an early bow set.

Anyone have any suggestions? Guess I should just get a Tetsu set to just hold me over until I find something good.

ohlawd

Academy Points quests suck :(
deliver eggs. easy 1000+ points. for the 4000 ones, gather on your way to them. if you're lucky, you'll get crap like Auristone Chunks, or Volatile Coal that are worth 1000+ so you don't have to deliver more than 2 or 3 eggs

colinp

Banned
I saw on someone's stream they were somehow able to get a TON of honey from doing... Something? I'm not sure what. Right now my only options are 1) harvest tours or 2) two carts at the trader.

I have two carts getting honey at the trader but they get like one honey per round so it doesn't end up helping THAT much. Am I missing something?

As high as I can, I only have one four star and the rest three stars. Is it just level that increases enthusiasm?

From quick testing enthusiasm just seems to affect bonus stuff you get but I think laginapples are the ones that increase the amount you get but even then its only like 3 honeys compared to one.

katagai

Man, I'm having a difficult time finding an early bow set.

Anyone have any suggestions? Guess I should just get a Tetsu set to just hold me over until I find something good.

I was looking for armor set suggestions for a friend who plays bow a couple days ago, and one of the ones I found was this set:

• Jaggi Cap
  • Mosgharl Ribguard
  • Mosgharl Tendril
  • Jaggi Coat
  • Mosgharl Radicles
All you have to do is fill up all the decoration slots with Attack 1 gems, and this should give you Focus and Attack Up S.

The other sets I came across required you to have specific talismans, so not sure how viable they'd be.

CTLance

I saw on someone's stream they were somehow able to get a TON of honey from doing... Something? I'm not sure what. Right now my only options are 1) harvest tours or 2) two carts at the trader.

I have two carts getting honey at the trader but they get like one honey per round so it doesn't end up helping THAT much. Am I missing something?
Dunno, I thankfully avoided that situation because I am an compulsive gatherer and ran around for a good chunk in the beginning with the Arzuros set, which comes with the Honey skill (2x honey per gathering attempt, increased Royal Honey account item rate) and a heaping helping of defense. The bear is pathetically easy, so getting the mats shouldn't be a problem.

Equip that armor set (or gem in the Honey skill), then make it a habit to gather honey whenever you are doing a quest. If you're unsure: Misty Peaks has several easy to reach honey gathering spots. There's a bunch of useful monsters to choose from, e.g. Nargacuga, which gives a rather neat armour set. There's also Lagi, Royal Ludroth and Mizutsune, all of which offer some nice gear. Maybe worth a try to farm for two things at once.

Astral

I'm so pissed. I got a quest to deliver some abyssal mushrooms. The cuteass quest girl was not so subtly hinting at a monster attacking me while I was doing it. So I eat my meal and take on the quest but I forgot to buy potions. Of course I'm greeted with a fucking T-Rex with a sword for a tail. I managed to make it far with the 10 mega potions I had. The fucker was limping and everything but in the end I die. All because I forgot to buy potions. Now the quest is gone and I'm so pissed that I don't get to have my revenge till later I'm guessing.

CTLance

Huh, that's weird, quests shouldn't disappear. You sure it's gone?

Why did you go to those lengths to slay a cover monster at 4xHP without proper preparation anyway, you crazy Hunter. :lol
Just squeal, crap your pants, run to the next zone and gather your shrooms in peace like you're supposed to. It's a gathering quest!

Admittedly, I also tried to pummel him. That fucker can bring the pain.

Boney

Banned
Huh, that's weird, quests shouldn't disappear. You sure it's gone?

Why did you go to those lengths to slay a cover monster at 4xHP without proper preparation anyway, you crazy Hunter. :lol
Just squeal, crap your pants, run to the next zone and gather your shrooms in peace like you're supposed to. It's a gathering quest!

Admittedly, I also tried to pummel him. That fucker can bring the pain.
I've had my online teostra quest disappear and reappear and there's two actually that go in rotation. Really weird

Mupod

when doing arenas today I had the misfortune of experiencing Striker HH. Holy hell what were they thinking? Not only are HH's arts mediocre, they took away its unsheathe attack AND the backswing! Those are the most important moves on the weapon if you ever want to KO something. Adept still has them, even.

I was looking for armor set suggestions for a friend who plays bow a couple days ago, and one of the ones I found was this set:

• Jaggi Cap
  • Mosgharl Ribguard
  • Mosgharl Tendril
  • Jaggi Coat
  • Mosgharl Radicles
All you have to do is fill up all the decoration slots with Attack 1 gems, and this should give you Focus and Attack Up S.

The other sets I came across required you to have specific talismans, so not sure how viable they'd be.

Nice! Thanks

spiritfox

Any Hunting Horn users here? I want to pick it up but I want some tips. What weapon should I be using? What skills are essential? Do I need Horn Maestro?

redcrayon

That Hyper Garuga is such a pain to fight.
I had a crack at soloing 'birds of prey' (7*) last night, which is hyper kutku, then hyper Malfestio, then hyper Garuga in an arena. Took out the first two easily enough but Garuga ripped me apart, I was burning through resources just to stay alive and eventually ran out of time!

javadoze

Any Hunting Horn users here? I want to pick it up but I want some tips. What weapon should I be using? What skills are essential? Do I need Horn Maestro?

I don't really have much in the way of weapon recommendations (currently using Hunter's Horn), but Attack Up and Earplugs are simply amazing to have on hand (also, never forget to play the self-improvement song to speed up movement and remove attack deflection).

Horn Maestro is nice to have, but if you're constantly building up double notes, playing them, then rotating around your 2 or 3 key songs, then it's more or less a luxury.

For a first-time HH user just starting the game, the Bone armor you can buy almost immediately is great. Comes with KO and Horn Maestro and five slots altogether.

Weapon is personal preference. For me, I'll almost always go with an appropriate elemental weapon for weaknesses, even if I don't like the song selection (most early/mid healing songs are not the best, anyway). This is because I'm an offensive HH user, which you should be, too. And I'd rather have different elemental weapons to choose from than non-elemental ones that are probably the "better" choice (like Obsidian Horn which has Attack Up (L), Defense Up (L), Defense Boost (L), and Wind Resistance) because then you might not want to switch to anything else, and I think that's boring. But like I said, all preference.

For skills, KO and Horn Maestro are good. Horn Maestro for me is a must 100% of the time because it adds one minute to your buffs, which means one more minute of whacking monsters before you have to reapply them (if they run out). Horn Maestro is a priority, so if I can't get it via Talisman/Decorations, I think twice about armors, which sucks. KO is great since you're almost always going to be hitting monsters' heads, but I haven't been using it since I have a Malfestio set for my HH (because it looks cool. Got Horn Maestro through talisman/decorations. It also has Tenderizer, which is sort of an okay replacement for me). Basically, for me as a player, Horn Maestro gives me just that more time to smack stuff, and that's why it's a necessity for me, especially when you're so focused on destroying a monster that you forget to look at your buffs. It happens!

I only use the Aerial style. It makes you an even deadlier force because you now have the amazing speed buff and easier mounting capabilities. Grounded monsters means tons and tons of free hits on heads, legs, etc.

I've gotten so used to monsters' timings with HH that it's instinct now. My bnb on grounded monsters is: y, a, y, a, y, a, forward x+a as they're getting up (first hit is a sweep and will connect when they slide their head up, then the overhead connects when they're up), forward y as they stay in place/turn to me, then neutral x+y if I'm feeling confident, since it moves you back slightly and at an angle for a retreat. God, it feels so good. The best moment is when you're doing all this and then get a stun. More free hits! The worst is when you get a stun on a freshly grounded after the first two hits :( Waste of hits! You might want to lessen the "y, a" string depending on the situation. Sometimes I do less "y, a" and make my finisher forward y after neutral x+a.

The downside to Aerial Style is only one Hunter art. I actually don't even use a HH-specific one because, 1) the one that causes all buffs to be applied to yourself could make you complacent; 2) the one that causes all notes to become double notes, even on misses, is actually great in concept but I found myself not using it even when I had it equipped. I'm pretty good about getting my songs out and reapplying them while being on the offensive (thus getting double notes as it is). It's probably the "best" HH art and might be more beneficial online, but I found myself hardly needing it. I actually used the useless offense-based one most, haha. It was a neat finisher sometimes, and I even killed some monsters with it as the final blow! It's honestly the only one I found myself actively using once it was up. The latter one (double notes) was more situational because I didn't want to waste it... and then I would never use it. I might just go back to the offense one, but right now I have the health mine that regens health if you stand near it. Reminds me of the Dragon's Dogma heal spell, but it's still kind of useless because you have to stand REAL close and is an XL charge. It's come in handy once or twice, but nothing to write home about.

Aerial style is honestly my favorite style in the game. I haven't even tried the other three with HH, because I knew HH with Aerial was going to be disgustingly good. And it is.

GL took me a bit longer to figure out what style I liked because I was starting to learn it... but, yup, Aerial style for GL, too. I hope Styles come back in MH5.

I kind of wrote more than I expected, but I hope it helps... even though it's basically for Aerial HH, but in MH3U my bnb was almost the same.

Deosier

I had a crack at soloing 'birds of prey' (7*) last night, which is hyper kutku, then hyper Malfestio, then hyper Garuga in an arena. Took out the first two easily enough but Garuga ripped me apart, I was burning through resources just to stay alive and eventually ran out of time!

Me and the wife was trying to get Savage Jho quest, but the Hyper Garuga, Kut Ku, Rathian quest was our wall for the last two days. Garuga is such a monster in hyper mode. The other two are way easier.

Karanlos

Just started playing and saw some things I'm confused about.
What is a perfect palico? Saw people could share them, can I get someone to share them to me and the share them with my friends?

Also has anyone got a setup for voice chat and gamesound that is mobile ?

co1onel

when doing arenas today I had the misfortune of experiencing Striker HH. Holy hell what were they thinking? Not only are HH's arts mediocre, they took away its unsheathe attack AND the backswing! Those are the most important moves on the weapon if you ever want to KO something. Adept still has them, even.

You should check out the HH in MHFU.

The best end game HH set for solo, and probably for multi too, is the Akantor horn with crit boost, crit+1/2, weakness exploit and razor sharp. As long as you hit the weak spots, you'll have 100% affinity, which is a 40% attack boost with crit boost. Horn Maestro isn't really needed for AuS horns, since the song lasts longer than AuL songs. The emerald flap is a good alternative to the akantor horn if you want better sharpness.

Guild is the most popular style for HH, but adept can be useful. The HH specific hunter arts are pretty much useless. Absolute readiness is by far the most useful.

If you wanna run AuL with horn maestro for multi, I'd recommend the Sieze or Magma horn. The Obsidian horn is also great if you've got s+1. If you aren't going for the crit build, then just general offensive skills are all useful.

spiritfox

The best end game HH set for solo, and probably for multi too, is the Akantor horn with crit boost, crit+1/2, weakness exploit and razor sharp. As long as you hit the weak spots, you'll have 100% affinity, which is a 40% attack boost with crit boost. Horn Maestro isn't really needed for AuS horns, since the song lasts longer than AuL songs. The emerald flap is a good alternative to the akantor horn if you want better sharpness.

Guild is the most popular style for HH, but adept can be useful. The HH specific hunter arts are pretty much useless. Absolute readiness is by far the most useful.

If you wanna run AuL with horn maestro for multi, I'd recommend the Sieze or Magma horn. The Obsidian horn is also great if you've got s+1. If you aren't going for the crit build, then just general offensive skills are all useful.

Hey thanks for the info. How about the Teostra's horn? I see it has the same song list as the Akantor horn. The attack is much lower but it has blast. Plus it looks better.

Also anyone knows what exactly is the boost for Coldblooded? I'm seeing several different numbers just looking around.

redcrayon

Me and the wife was trying to get Savage Jho quest, but the Hyper Garuga, Kut Ku, Rathian quest was our wall for the last two days. Garuga is such a monster in hyper mode. The other two are way easier.
I think my problem is I'm just not dealing enough damage when playing solo to end each component of the fight quickly enough, and I probably need either a much more offensive build or to go with capture guru to shave some time off each monster.

Currently running with fully upgraded Regios S armour and a sedition lance (lv2, I need the hyper hunter III ticket from one of these arena quests to finish it).

Skills are constitution+2, critical draw and Expert+2 gemmed in and from a talisman, which synergises with the sedition lance for a total affinity of 35%. The White sharpness combined with expert draw gives me a good hit-and-run game, and constitution lets me bunker down vs multiple melee hits while leaving me perfectly placed to counter, but my low raw damage is probably the issue. Maybe I should swap aerial style for striker and take multiple aggressive arts?

Also the way talismans work has always been a minor annoyance with me in monhun. I've got pages of them, can't meld even the ancient ones quick enough, and haven't found anything really particularly good despite finding over 50 king/dragon charms. It would be great if you could forge them somehow, as it seems silly that I must have multiple boxes full of the worlds crappest Magic items. All of my armour and weapons fit on a single page of the item chest, and then there's just pages of junk. I think I'll just sell them.

Mupod

Were those the new moves? I remember little of FU hunting horn except that it was terrible. But double recitals and a better moveset made it a great and viable weapon once it got put back into 3rd gen (I think the revamp was P3rd, but I mained it in 3U).

Wasn't the old optimal combo just doing its mini super pound over and over? Or something similarly awful.

I've been considering getting back into HH or hammer. There's a complete dearth of impact users these days, and at least half of the few I've seen couldn't get a KO to save their lives. Seriously almost all of the KOs I've seen have been myself with crag shot.

Still learning about the HH style differences but I don't think I'd use Aerial. I feel like I'd use Guild with evade+2, or Adept. I'm all about using the recitals as attacks and then using the evasion iframes to get me out of where those long animations put me. Whatever works for you though - just don't be the guy who hides in the corner buffing.

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, but have played MH for a long time (since Tri) MHX is the first time I'm using Hunting Horn, and I've finished village, and am HR 3.

Horns are in the middle of the pack, so you can go for elemental or raw, I personally have one horn per element but will sometimes use a horn just because it has good songs that suit the monster being hunted. But basically anything with Attack Up is never really a bad choice.

Best LR horns:

Hunter's Horn (Attack Up Large, Earplugs, Bind Resist): If you don't know what to take, bring this since it has good songs. AuL and Earplugs are good all the time, and bind resist helps a lot on the snow monsters, Mitsune and Narkakos. Plus its buyable from the shop for the low price of 5400z and 0 parts =). So if you want to mess around with HH, this is great.

Petrified Horn (Attack up, Defense up, Max Health Up ): The starting horn has great songs too. At Level 5 it evolves to the Obsidian Horn which has L versions of the songs. AuL is always good, DuL and Max Health help prevent teammates from carting, esp tbhose who are undergeared.

Danger Call: For being the support guy. Same songs as Hunter's horn, but has Paralysis (kind of low though). Pair with Aerial style to lock down monsters like mad

Element-wise

Water: Ludroth, Snarf, and Mitsune Horns are all pretty good. I picked Ludroth for Negate Stamina which makes DB, Bow and Hammer users love you.

Thunder: I used Khezu since it will get Divine protection and Elemental Attack up in HR

Fire: No really good choices, I use Glavenus myself

Ice: Gammoth gets Blightproof, Elemental Resist Up, and Elemental Attack up, which seems like fun.

Poison: Poison Fungasax has Negate status(!!!), status attack up and Divine Protection. I've heard that it makes monsters that rely on status (like Dreadqueen Rathian) really easy, but haven't tried it out yet.

Skills:
Maestro is good, so the buyable Bone armor is nice when starting out and easily upgradable to give you a good defence. You can use a mix of Bulldrome and Jaggi armor to give you Attack Medium and Maestro, which works well enough to get you to high rank.

Gameplay:
If you have ear plugs, I like playing it at the starting area so the first monster roar is negated. Self Improvement is the first song you should have up, followed by attack up if the horn has it. I always get hit while encoring, so I mainly use double notes to get the second boost instead.

Basically hit the monster (head if possible) while trying to play the next song you want. Once its all lined up with all double notes, evade an attack and play your song. If its down, go for the head and keep swinging without worrying about music (unless Attack Up wore off) Also feel free to hit the body if the head isn't available, horn does great exhaust, and drooling monsters means easy to hit heads.

X+A is a really nice overhead attack for hitting high up heads and does really good KO, but it hits backwards so you need to position yourself with your back to the monster. Needs practice but well worth it when you KO things like Lagi easily.

Juraash

So I made it through the always "fun" Plesioth last night and got into HR5. Now that I'm making some measurable progress in high rank I figured I'd ask for some clarification about the post HR7 game.

So we have two types of...harder fights I guess, hyper and deviant. Mechanically I have no idea what the difference is but in my head I'm sort of equating hyper to apex and deviant to guild quests. I know that you level up...or unlock harder quests featuring the deviants and I believe hyper monsters don't change in the quests that feature them. Is this about right?

Also the gear from these two are different. Each has a set of weapons again my assumption is the deviant stuff charges hunter arts faster and hyper weapons might...have slightly better damage or sharpness or something. Also my impression of the armor is that hyper sets are designed around mixing to get all the skills you want and deviant armors have special skills tied to the specific monster and that you unlock those by both having the full set and also leveling it up (through the harder deviant quests). Again...am I more or less on the right track?

Is it safe to say that either of the above gear categories outstrips basically anything in normal HR? Is all are most of this stuff intended to be taken on after the HR break, sort of like a soft G-Rank?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I made it through the always "fun" Plesioth last night and got into HR5. Now that I'm making some measurable progress in high rank I figured I'd ask for some clarification about the post HR7 game.

So we have two types of...harder fights I guess, hyper and deviant. Mechanically I have no idea what the difference is but in my head I'm sort of equating hyper to apex and deviant to guild quests. I know that you level up...or unlock harder quests featuring the deviants and I believe hyper monsters don't change in the quests that feature them. Is this about right?

Also the gear from these two are different. Each has a set of weapons again my assumption is the deviant stuff charges hunter arts faster and hyper weapons might...have slightly better damage or sharpness or something. Also my impression of the armor is that hyper sets are designed around mixing to get all the skills you want and deviant armors have special skills tied to the specific monster and that you unlock those by both having the full set and also leveling it up (through the harder deviant quests). Again...am I more or less on the right track?

Is it safe to say that either of the above gear categories outstrips basically anything in normal HR? Is all are most of this stuff intended to be taken on after the HR break, sort of like a soft G-Rank?
Hyper monsters are basically monsters that have a hunter's art gauge. They have glowing dark spots on their body, which if you hit, fill up both theirs' and your art gauges faster. When the monster's gauge fills up enough they can do a super powered version of some of their attacks, generally with more damage, or making projectiles larger etc. You'll be able to tell when they do it by a pause and red lightning flash before the attack. Deviants are monsters that actually have new variations of their attacks/patterns, like silverwind shoots shock waves with every tail swing and has homing tail spike projectiles.

The deviant monsters are also definitely more powerful than their hyper counterparts.

spiritfox

Regarding armor, no, Deviant sets are not categorically better than HR gear. Their defense ratings are comparable to most Rare 7 HR gear. Their advantage is their unique skills, which are activated when you upgrade them to level 6. This allows them to carry more skills compared to other HR gear, but if those skills do nothing for you, it's not better than any other armor.

Deviant weapons are similar, except that Hellblade Glavenus stuff pretty much outstrips everything else for blademasters.

Hyper monsters do not have separate weapons, but most weapons do require hyper parts to fully upgrade them. There are some hyper armor sets, but they're pretty much the same as the S-series sets with similar defense ratings and slightly different skill spreads.

Juraash

Hyper monsters are basically monsters that have a hunter's art gauge. They have glowing dark spots on their body, which if you hit, fill up both theirs' and your art gauges faster. When the monster's gauge fills up enough they can do a super powered version of some of their attacks, generally with more damage, or making projectiles larger etc. You'll be able to tell when they do it by a pause and red lightning flash before the attack. Deviants are monsters that actually have new variations of their attacks/patterns, like silverwind shoots shock waves with every tail swing and has homing tail spike projectiles.

The deviant monsters are also definitely more powerful than their hyper counterparts.

Regarding armor, no, Deviant sets are not categorically better than HR gear. Their defense ratings are comparable to most Rare 7 HR gear. Their advantage is their unique skills, which are activated when you upgrade them to level 6. This allows them to carry more skills compared to other HR gear, but if those skills do nothing for you, it's not better than any other armor.

Weapons are similar, except that Hellblade Glavenus stuff pretty much outstrips everything else.

Hmmm interesting. I guess I'll have to see what (if any) deviant armors apply to how I like to play and go from there...once I hit the HR break. I have heard about the Hell blade stuff, though I was debating trying something different out when I get to that point.

Thanks for the info guys.

Top Bottom