• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

DrArchon

OK, I've now put about 8 hours into the game and I think I've settled down on which weapon and style I plan on using. I think I'm going with Aerial Insect Glaive, which I definitely wasn't expecting because I never used IG in 4U, but for some reason I'm really digging it here. Maybe it's because I don't notice which moves are missing like I do with SA and CB, or maybe I finally got the hang of grabbing certain extract boosts, I don't know.

Anyway, how should I be feeding my Kinsect? Which are the best stats for general purpose Kinsects? I'd figure speed would be best just so you get the extracts faster, but I don't know how much damage the Kinsect does, and I have no idea what the Heavy stat is for. It says the elemental ambrosias don't count towards leveling up so should I just not bother with that?

redcrayon

So we have two types of...harder fights I guess, hyper and deviant. Mechanically I have no idea what the difference is but in my head I'm sort of equating hyper to apex and deviant to guild quests. I know that you level up...or unlock harder quests featuring the deviants and I believe hyper monsters don't change in the quests that feature them. Is this about right?

Also the gear from these two are different. Each has a set of weapons again my assumption is the deviant stuff charges hunter arts faster and hyper weapons might...have slightly better damage or sharpness or something. Also my impression of the armor is that hyper sets are designed around mixing to get all the skills you want and deviant armors have special skills tied to the specific monster and that you unlock those by both having the full set and also leveling it up (through the harder deviant quests). Again...am I more or less on the right track?

Is it safe to say that either of the above gear categories outstrips basically anything in normal HR? Is all are most of this stuff intended to be taken on after the HR break, sort of like a soft G-Rank?

Hyper monsters are basically monsters that have a hunter's art gauge. They have glowing dark spots on their body, which if you hit, fill up both theirs' and your art gauges faster. When the monster's gauge fills up enough they can do a super powered version of some of their attacks, generally with more damage, or making projectiles larger etc. You'll be able to tell when they do it by a pause and red lightning flash before the attack. Deviants are monsters that actually have new variations of their attacks/patterns, like silverwind shoots shock waves with every tail swing and has homing tail spike projectiles.

The deviant monsters are also definitely more powerful than their hyper counterparts.
This is a great explanation. Just to expand on this a little, I've just finished my hyper Seregios armour. It's effectively the high rank armour, but allowed upgrading to level 7 that required materials only available from the hyper monster (such as hyper scales), and heavy armour spheres (that are very rare at high rank but drop fairly regularly from hyper monsters). Each piece also required a Seregios Dissenter- something that is a fairly rare drop at high rank, but seemed to drop much more easily from the hyper- I got six in about 10 hunts. The jump to fully upgraded is similar- buying the Regios armour S at 60 points defence per item gives 300 as basic. All in all the armour maxed out at high rank was around 450 defence, and with the hyper materials it is now about 600.

The weapons often need tickets- generally the rank 6 hyper quests often give a Hyper Hunter I ticket, the rank 7 single hyper quests give a Hyper Hunter II, and the rank 7 hunt-a-thons give a Hyper Hunter III.

Your tactics vs the hyper monsters are the same as they are just quicker and stronger, but with added occasional hyper moves as Peroist says. Seregios was so quick that I was glad I had constitution+2- triple aerial kicks and 4-5 stomps in a row (including combos with hyper stomps) were pretty common! As a solo hunter I found the hypers tough as they wasted my cats fairly quickly, but in multiplayer they don't seem to last very much longer than the high rank versions, mainly as hunter teams still easily keep the lighter creatures stun-locked.

Deviants are far, far tougher, and require learning new tactics and evasive manoeuvres.

There are a few hyper armour sets, but for the most part it's just the regular high rank weapons and armour that need hyper monster parts to reach their final, fully upgraded forms.

'Soft G rank' sounds like a pretty reasonable way to describe it, but it's less of the clear distinction between high rank and G as in previous games seeing as most hyper hunter teams will have a mix of high rank gear in various states of upgrade rather than specifically 'hyper' gear. Hyper monsters also don't need the specific anti-apex/frenzy skills/items from MH4U.

Ultrabum

OK, I've now put about 8 hours into the game and I think I've settled down on which weapon and style I plan on using. I think I'm going with Aerial Insect Glaive, which I definitely wasn't expecting because I never used IG in 4U, but for some reason I'm really digging it here. Maybe it's because I don't notice which moves are missing like I do with SA and CB, or maybe I finally got the hang of grabbing certain extract boosts, I don't know.

Anyway, how should I be feeding my Kinsect? Which are the best stats for general purpose Kinsects? I'd figure speed would be best just so you get the extracts faster, but I don't know how much damage the Kinsect does, and I have no idea what the Heavy stat is for. It says the elemental ambrosias don't count towards leveling up so should I just not bother with that?
I prefer the balanced kinsect because it gets the skill triple up, which makes your triple extract buff last longer. I hear the max speed bug is also good.

To get the balanced bug, just keep upgrading the starting bug to get each attribute to lvl 6, and then it unlocks the last style with triple up.

Here is a more in depth guide:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=APUUcL2Yi_Y

DrArchon

I prefer the balanced kinsect because it gets the skill triple up, which makes your triple extract buff last longer. I hear the max speed bug is also good.

To get the balanced bug, just keep upgrading the starting bug to get each attribute to lvl 6, and then it unlocks the last style with triple up.

Here is a more in depth guide:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=APUUcL2Yi_Y

Getting the triple buff isn't as hard as I thought with Extract Hunter, but I don't know what the other IG Hunter Arts are going to be so I'm not sure if I'll stick to it. That's good to know though.

Thanks for the link as well. I'll check that out.

spiritfox

Getting the triple buff isn't as hard as I thought with Extract Hunter, but I don't know what the other IG Hunter Arts are going to be so I'm not sure if I'll stick to it. That's good to know though.

Thanks for the link as well. I'll check that out.

I'm not completely sure but I don't think Effect Extender works with the triple buff from Extract Hunter. I use Speed 1 cause it gives 30% affinity for white extracts.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Hmmm interesting. I guess I'll have to see what (if any) deviant armors apply to how I like to play and go from there...once I hit the HR break. I have heard about the Hell blade stuff, though I was debating trying something different out when I get to that point.

Thanks for the info guys.

From my understanding since there is no G-Rank, and armors can be upgraded plenty in this game (and for cheap), there is no uber-tier armor that you might be missing out on. I'd say anything you pick up in HR can be good to go for the late game.

Is it just me or does weapon damage seem to be lower in this game?

Do you mean you feel like you're doing more damage? Or the stats at the equipment screen are lower?

Personally I feel like monsters die too fast in this game. And the lower weapon damage is now scaled so it's the same raw numbers across all weapons.

DrArchon

I'm not completely sure but I don't think Effect Extender works with the triple buff from Extract Hunter. I use Speed 1 cause it gives 30% affinity for white extracts.

Well if it doesn't work for Extract Hunter then I probably won't go for Balanced, I usually only get 2 extracts at a time because I'm not that good yet at grabbing the ones I want (better than I was in 4U but can't do it reliably yet).

+30% affinity with a white extract sounds bonkers with how fast you attack with a IG so the Speed bug sounds nice. Plus I hate waiting for the bug to slowly fly back when it's grabbed an extract.

I won't be getting any high level bugs for a while but I always like having a goal to work towards.

jorgejjvr

just trying to clarify you're only using the cap and not magically hacking the 3DS to use a vita joystick somehow.

that is correct. You only use the cap

this is mine -

mhgen.jpg

jorgejjvr

Is this what I want to buy?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IF00ZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just making sure. Seeing that others bought MHG after this is sort of reassuring.

This is what i bought -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SN08BY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i was at work, and took me two minutes.

Took it off the original 3ds cstick, with fingers only, and place the other. Took a minute.

And it works absolutely perfect, easiest mod of life and works to perfection. Wish i knew about this before, for majora, MH4U and so on, no idea how much i needed this xD

Pejo

I really wish this game had a "survival mode" at endgame. Kinda like the old Free Hunt system from 3U, but you can't take any items with you, so you have to find items and craft them on the hunt, and you can only die once or you start over. Monsters could range from a Great Jaggi to pretty much anything that's not a gimmick fight. Make the rewards suitably awesome like RNG endgame tier weapons with innate skills on them and 3 slots.

I feel like for the most part, the crafting system is entirely wasted, particularly in the field.

It definitely wouldn't be for everyone, but I could really enjoy some time spent like that.

Anyways, got to HR7 last night, and stuck around farming Steve because of how awesome the group I got was.

Is any rank 6 and above armor upgradeable to endgame standards in this one in terms of defense, or should I just plan on getting some of the hyper and EX sets and not bother farming the other stuff?

Kinsei

Banned
I really wish this game had a "survival mode" at endgame. Kinda like the old Free Hunt system from 3U, but you can't take any items with you, so you have to find items and craft them on the hunt, and you can only die once or you start over. Monsters could range from a Great Jaggi to pretty much anything that's not a gimmick fight. Make the rewards suitably awesome like RNG endgame tier weapons with innate skills on them and 3 slots.

I feel like for the most part, the crafting system is entirely wasted, particularly in the field.

It definitely wouldn't be for everyone, but I could really enjoy some time spent like that.

Anyways, got to HR7 last night, and stuck around farming Steve because of how awesome the group I got was.

Is any rank 6 and above armor upgradeable to endgame standards in this one in terms of defense, or should I just plan on getting some of the hyper and EX sets and not bother farming the other stuff?

It sounds like you want the special quests from first and second gen. Imagine an arena quest (preset gear and items) set in the regular maps where you only have one life. If you want good items then you have to find them. An example of this would be a max potion coming from a bug spot, but even if you knew it was there you'd still have to find a bug net.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I like how the new deviants are the new endgame/ g-rank. They're monsters with actual new mechanics different from subspecies and no bullshit aoe or one hit kills
fatalis
. Its takes like 30 quests or kills to get their armor so thats like a good 8 hours for each monster, no rng bullshit just mmo token systems.

Mupod

In Tri I used to put on Deviljho gear, leave the hunger increase in, then go screw around in moga woods and see how long I could 'live off the land' while taking out every monster who appeared. I really wanted to see them expand free hunt but instead they just dropped it.

I think weapon types would be a bit unbalanced in such a mode as Prowlers/Hunting Horns basically get unlimited stamina and HP-restoring capabilities, meanwhile gunners/bows become underpowered as they eventually run out of ammo/coatings.

Fistwell

I used to love my old lance that looked like a shark, paired with a 'no swimming' sign as a shield.
Dunno if it's been mentioned or if you even care, but that lance is in. You craft it with sharqskin, which you get as a quest reward for some villager request.

I like how the new deviants are the new endgame/ g-rank. They're monsters with actual new mechanics different from subspecies and no bullshit aoe or one hit kills
fatalis
. Its takes like 30 quests or kills to get their armor so thats like a good 8 hours for each monster, no rng bullshit just mmo token systems.

Yee i love the deviant system mostly, it kinda reminds of why i enjoy challenge runs in other games. You just keep fighting the same thing, getting better as a play, whilst the game amps up difficulty for you.

Ohnonono

So i just spent 45 mins wailing on level 1 Silverwind Narga and it never limped. I broke all parts and felt like I was doing pretty well. My understanding was that he had a similar health pool to the HR one that I have farmed for armor and weapon stuff. I am using the 140 damage blue sharpness narga weapon and full HR narga armor. Is my weapon just not good enough at this point? I am using adept SNS because the dodge is godly for getting close to him and keeping up pressure.

blackflag

In Tri I used to put on Deviljho gear, leave the hunger increase in, then go screw around in moga woods and see how long I could 'live off the land' while taking out every monster who appeared. I really wanted to see them expand free hunt but instead they just dropped it.

It's the thing I miss most honestly. Really loved that.

Beats

Made an explosive LBG set with these skills:
Ammo Saver
Load Up
Artillery Expert
Recoil Down+2

Using Lost Musket and a Recoil+5 3 slot charm. It's pretty fun to cycle through all the crag and clust shots, but I dunno if my supplies can keep up with the ammo usage and combining stuff mid hunt. lol

The built in ammo for that gun is great too.

Shengar

thanks!
Heads up alot of quests only give it for the person posting, cause the guys making quest decisions in this game, want you to fucking hate them.
I could understand if they make it this way with deviant monster but it's baffling for request and other shits since MH4U had it just right.
So i just spent 45 mins wailing on level 1 Silverwind Narga and it never limped. I broke all parts and felt like I was doing pretty well. My understanding was that he had a similar health pool to the HR one that I have farmed for armor and weapon stuff. I am using the 140 damage blue sharpness narga weapon and full HR narga armor. Is my weapon just not good enough at this point? I am using adept SNS because the dodge is godly for getting close to him and keeping up pressure.
your weapon is a underwhelming since you should be able to get lvl 4 with 160 damage at that point.

Ohnonono

thanks!

I could understand if they make it this way with deviant monster but it's baffling for request and other shits since MH4U had it just right.

your weapon is a underwhelming since you should be able to get lvl 4 with 160 damage at that point.

I need to get to HR6 I think to get the stupid Seltas Queen parts you need to get it to level 4. I will do that first and try again. I swear the level up system is just to make you fight stuff you would not fight normally, lol

For the 2 bow users out there, are you guys using the default control set up on the N3DS? I'm having a difficult time aiming a lot of times and it's because of the damn nub.

Was watching a bow user on YouTube and his aiming was so on point that I'm not sure if he's even using the nub.

Hybris

He's got a pretty sizable amount of health over the high rank narga. 6350 HP vs 4704 HP. If you want to kill it faster, don't waste your time breaking all the parts. Especially the wing arms. Also yeah that weapon is definitely a little behind the curve for deviants.

Ohnonono

He's got a pretty sizable amount of health over the high rank narga. 6350 HP vs 4704 HP. If you want to kill it faster, don't waste your time breaking all the parts. Especially the wing arms. Also yeah that weapon is definitely a little behind the curve for deviants.

Cool thanks for the numbers. That is a good bit more health. Makes sense.

Fistwell

Ammo Saver
Load Up
Artillery Expert
Recoil Down+2

Using Lost Musket and a Recoil+5 3 slot charm. It's pretty fun to cycle through all the crag and clust shots, but I dunno if my supplies can keep up with the ammo usage and combining stuff mid hunt. lol

Really fun gun. Just spamming crag 1 already decimates a lot of mid-game monster (been farming a lot of nitroshrooms).

spiritfox

For the 2 bow users out there, are you guys using the default control set up on the N3DS? I'm having a difficult time aiming a lot of times and it's because of the damn nub.

Was watching a bow user on YouTube and his aiming was so on point that I'm not sure if he's even using the nub.

I was using Type 1 for a while, but Type 2 allows you to use the nub while charging, so I switched to that. In the end I still prefer to use the Dpad for aiming, but it's hard to move if you do that.

Ohnonono

What is a good HR Lance set? I want something to do in my downtime when I am not farming up my main gear stuff. Both guard and dodgy adept lance I like.

redcrayon

What is a good HR Lance set? I want something to do in my downtime when I am not farming up my main gear stuff. Both guard and dodgy adept lance I like.
I don't know if they are good, but I went with Hermitaur (guard, health) as a good defensive set to start with (mainly because it was a fairly quick fight to complete the set because it's so slow). After that, Seregios (constitution, critical draw). Paired with a Harmah lance with Expert gemmed into the spare slots.

I'm considering going for Rathalos next just because it's more offensive.

Boney

Banned
Ammo Saver
Load Up
Artillery Expert
Recoil Down+2

What is it? Is it a shard weapon? I'm always up for boom boom, and my demon's isle is pretty darn good but only does fire element.

PKrockin

Adept lance doesn't need any specific skills, pick whatever blademaster skills you like. For aerial I think you definitely want Guard+.

EX Shagaru set from doing one of the Shagaru village quests gets you this

Chance +10
Guard +12
Light Eater +10

OO-
---
OO-
OO-
---

Instead of stacking Evade+ skills for evade lance you can pick Striker and abuse the evasion hunter arts.

Boney

Banned
it's crafted from meownsters expeditions, drops from rare targets.
I've seen the attack from those weapons being very weak comparatively. Do they catch up with upgrades or end up mediocre? Cause it's like half the damage as the other Rare3

Top Bottom