• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

redcrayon

I also think 4U would make a better starting point for new players. Its story hooks, one-time event fights, and town unlocks provides a more balanced motivation to continue beyond just unlocking better gear/hunter arts/etc. Generations has a number of gameplay improvements, but it's more targeted at longtime players since it features a lot of returning villages, NPC cameos and monsters from previous games and isn't as much of its own thing.
4U also starts with a bang before soaking it back and gently introducing stuff bit by bit as you say, , whereas Generations offers so much to do but so little direction. I think 4U is a much better intro to the series, whereas generations is a playground full of references (and new ideas) for returning players.

Pejo

So I finally figured out why I love the default Jurassic Frontier default theme so much.

It's basically an evolution of a Panzer Dragoon soundtrack song.

I mean listen to this and think about it in PD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZDc1hPo7ng

So good.

Does anyone have a guide or list of pre-reqs to open the coal gathering talisman farming quest? I know I saw one either here or on Reddit, but I can't find it.

Mupod

Been mostly using the EX Rathalos S set late game. It has 11 points in attack so with a decent attack talisman you can get:
Attack Up (L)
Tropic Hunter
Weakness Exploit
Enough slots to get some 5 slot skill.

It's pretty nice for fighting monsters in hot areas. I went with TrueShot Up for my 5 slot skill to power up the built in water shots on the Mizutsune HBG. I'm having a hard time making something similar with Polar Hunter instead of Tropic Hunter though. `-`

what do hotblooded/coldblooded do exactly? I read you get attack up and defense up large if you use them in hot/cold areas with hot/cold drinks. But based on that armor set they stack with AuL?

And yeah, I wondered why everyone uses haphazard/trueshot on bowgun sets then I realized you can fit it into any spare 5 slots. On top of that, later bowguns have tons of powerful built in shots. I love the pierce elemental stuff, as someone who missed that from the older games (thunder and water shots used to pierce).

The guest on the latest Kinda Funny episode said this is the best jumping in point for those wanting to learn MH. T/F?

Yup. As good a starting point as any. A lot of people are saying get 4U, and while that is a good game, the majority of the player base has moved to Gen.

So yeah, if you want to have a lot of people to play with online I'd say get this one. If you want single player play 4U. I'm of the opinion that Gen is leaps and bounds better than 4U, but that's mainly because I don't give a shit about story in Monster Hunter.

Beats

what do hotblooded/coldblooded do exactly? I read you get attack up and defense up large if you use them in hot/cold areas with hot/cold drinks. But based on that armor set they stack with AuL?

Tropic Hunter is basically Heat Cancel, Attack Up (M) and Defense Up (L) in a hot area. If you drink a hot drink you get 10 extra defense even if you're not in a hot area.

Polar Hunter is similar except it's Cold Cancel and you get 5 extra attack if you drink a cold drink. And yeah the attack bonus stacks with Attack Up (L). You also might get people trying to give you the drinks you're usually supposed to use in hot/cold areas during quests.

Juraash

Yup. As good a starting point as any. A lot of people are saying get 4U, and while that is a good game, the majority of the player base has moved to Gen.

So yeah, if you want to have a lot of people to play with online I'd say get this one. If you want single player play 4U. I'm of the opinion that Gen is leaps and bounds better than 4U, but that's mainly because I don't give a shit about story in Monster Hunter.

I think from a content and learning standpoint, 4U village/caravan is by far the best teaching tool of any MH game yet. It explains basic mechanics with story and quests and eases the player into things. It also kicks things off with a huge monster which gives people a taste of what's to come.

Does Gen even explain steaks in the 1 star quests? It just dumps all these quests on you, most of them are bland as fuck in the early game and give the player almost no direction. It succeeds for vets because well...you're a vet but it fails to teach basics as far as I've seen.

Online can also be a crucible of assholes. I would pitty anyone who tries to cut their teeth on MH totally blind and hopping online to play with randoms as soon as they can figure out how.

I think from a content and learning standpoint, 4U village/caravan is by far the best teaching tool of any MH game yet. It explains basic mechanics with story and quests and eases the player into things. It also kicks things off with a huge monster which gives people a taste of what's to come.

Does Gen even explain steaks in the 1 star quests? It just dumps all these quests on you, most of them are bland as fuck in the early game and give the player almost no direction. It succeeds for vets because well...you're a vet but it fails to teach basics as far as I've seen.

Online can also be a crucible of assholes. I would pitty anyone who tries to cut their teeth on MH totally blind and hopping online to play with randoms as soon as they can figure out how.

I mean, I guess. There are plenty of resources to teach you the ropes both in game and out. I started with Freedom 2 back when there were basically almost no resources available to teach me anything and I still figured it out fairly easily.

So yeah, It's pretty difficult for me to recommend 4U when Gen is superior in more or less every way outside of Village quests/Story content (and graphics but that's a whole other bag).

redcrayon

Tropic Hunter is basically Heat Cancel, Attack Up (M) and Defense Up (L) in a hot area. If you drink a hot drink you get 10 extra defense even if you're not in a hot area.

Polar Hunter is similar except it's Cold Cancel and you get 5 extra attack if you drink a cold drink. And yeah the attack bonus stacks with Attack Up (L). You also might get people trying to give you the drinks you're usually supposed to use in hot/cold areas during quests.
I'm using that Rath Ex set now too, it's a really well-rounded set for hunting in the volcanic areas. The only downside is the hefty weakness to both dragon and thunder, but you can eat to address whichever one your mark is using, and it has a huge fire resistance which most of the targets in the hot areas will be using.

I had someone laugh at me drinking a hot drink in the volcanic hollow until I pointed them towards the skill.

Do the hyper monsters drop rare stuff more easily than previous G-rank versions? I balked at needing 5 Rathalos Rubies (one for each of the final lv. 7 upgrades) after trying to find that kind of thing in previous games, but got them from maybe 8/9 hunts, same for the Seregios Dissenters.

Juraash

I mean, I guess. There are plenty of resources to teach you the ropes both in game and out. I started with Freedom 2 back when there were basically almost no resources available to teach me anything and I still figured it out fairly easily.

So yeah, It's pretty difficult for me to recommend 4U when Gen is superior in more or less every way outside of Village quests/Story content (and graphics but that's a whole other bag).

I started with Freedom Unite so I totally get where you are coming from. But I feel like we are the exceptions, not the norm. Just by being part of GAF and having this discussion we are probably more engaged than the normal consumer. But if someone just saw the box on the shelf and was like, "hey there's a guy with a big sword fighting a kick ass monster. That looks fun!" I'm not sure they'd seek that information out. Monster Hunter is kind of obtuse and it has a learning curve and I just think that 4U had the best built in mechanics for engaging new people at that entry level.

I'm a huge fan of Monster Hunter but it has been killing my hands. The New 3DS XL isn't big enough. I went and ordered the Monster Hunter cross hunting grip from Hori. I have to wait until next week to get it but from everything I've read says it's an amazingly comfortable grip. Anyone here have one?

Sykotik

I'm a huge fan of Monster Hunter but it has been killing my hands. The New 3DS XL isn't big enough. I went and ordered the Monster Hunter cross hunting grip from Hori. I have to wait until next week to get it but from everything I've read says it's an amazingly comfortable grip. Anyone here have one?

I have the 3DSXL version and it makes it much better. No complaints here. My hands would go numb using the 3DS without it.

Juraash

I do and it is one of the best grips I've used on any portable. The grip feels a bit like a large WiiU pro controller or a 360 controller and has integrated shoulder buttons for all 4 buttons on the n3ds XL. It's bulky but not in an uncfortable way at all. If you feel like the xl is too small, this should work great or you I think.

Anyone interested in helping me with Snowbaron Level 10? Only need 3 hunts to finish upgrading the set. I'm so close to the finish line I can taste it.

10-9307-6940-6364

Edit: Still have one spot open.

Edit 2: Thanks everyone! Finally maxed out the set!

Doombear

Replaced the c stick nub with a PSP stick. Best thing ever. I actually had to turn they camera speed down to normal it is so much more sensitive and responsive. Love it.

Also ordered the MHX LL grip a few weeks ago to replace my $5 chinese grip. It's not bad and it served me well for MHX but I want something a but more substantial.

In other news, trying to unlock Savage so I set up a Hyper room. Taking turns. Plenty of people joining and running off scared.

09-1097-0327-4904 if anyone is interested.

I have the 3DSXL version and it makes it much better. No complaints here. My hands would go numb using the 3DS without it.

I do and it is one of the best grips I've used on any portable. The grip feels a bit like a large WiiU pro controller or a 360 controller and has integrated shoulder buttons for all 4 buttons on the n3ds XL. It's bulky but not in an uncfortable way at all. If you feel like the xl is too small, this should work great or you I think.
Fantastic! I can't wait for it to show up now. If it feels similar to a 360 controller I'll be perfectly fine with marathon gaming sessions, thanks for the input.

Boney

Banned
It really kills me when I play on the Ancestral Steppe, since it's such a good map where every area provides interesting battle opportunities, but the nostalgia fest of having the first map of ost games which are for the most part the dullest in the games.
Jurassic Jungle isn't anything to write home about either, which only further disappoints due to the map selection.

It's my biggest gripe, worse than overpowered arts or lack of G class.

Fandangox

It really kills me when I play on the Ancestral Steppe, since it's such a good map where every area provides interesting battle opportunities, but the nostalgia fest of having the first map of ost games which are for the most part the dullest in the games.
Jurassic Jungle isn't anything to write home about either, which only further disappoints due to the map selection.

The Marshlands is an incredibly boring map, not just because of the flatness, but the layout of the areas is just about as uninteresting as it can get. The vertical aspect of MH4U's maps added so much.

redcrayon

The Marshlands is an incredibly boring map, not just because of the flatness, but the layout of the areas is just about as uninteresting as it can get. The vertical aspect of MH4U's maps added so much.
I quite like Deserted Island just because the lush blues of the coast areas are so clean and inviting, but yeah, Ancestral Steppe is a particularly good one with great variety (I love fighting fliers on the cliffs). They did really well to have it as the opening area in the last game.

Fandangox

I quite like Deserted Island just because the lush blues of the coast areas are so clean and inviting, but yeah, Ancestral Steppe is a particularly good one with great variety (I love fighting fliers on the cliffs). They did really well to have it as the opening area in the last game.

Deserted Island is good aesthetically, and the layout of the areas themselves are not bad, but its kind of a shadow of it former self, saying this as someone who didn't really like Underwater combat all that much.

I disagree. The Marshlands areas are well connected together so it doesn't take long to move around, unlike Arctic Ridge for example. Also Ancestral Steppe areas 4 & 7 are a chore to battle on and traverse. The elevation in Volcanic Hollow 8 is annoying too.
In fact MHGen made me realize how bad most of MH4U's gimmicky zones were.

Sane_Man

Does anyone know how to unlock the low rank Teostra quest in village or hub? I have the high rank one but need low rank parts to make his bow.

Beats

I kinda agree. Visually some of the old maps aren't too hot either.

I also kinda feel the same way about some of the old monsters too where you can see a big difference in the quality of the animations and moveset designs when comparing them to the more recent ones. I bet they could fill up a new game with the better ones plus any new ones they make and still have a lot of monsters to fight. :x

javadoze

Same. At first the returning maps intrigued me, but the more I played them, the more I realized how I missed the diversity and elevation of MH4Us maps.

Fistwell

Does anyone know how to unlock the low rank Teostra quest in village or hub? I have the high rank one but need low rank parts to make his bow.
Do you have other elder dragons showing up? These quests change every time out, sometimes teo's gonna be there, sometimes he not. I dont know that you need to do anything special to unlock him.

Edit: doesnt show any prerequisite here.

ChrisD

Ancestral Steppe is a great map minus the massive cliffs section.

I feel it sacrilegious to say, but I dislike Snowy Mountains in this game because I guess I just never really noticed the highly obvious fact that battles only take place on the three peak areas. Once that set in I felt pretty disappointed in the map. I wish there was a short route from the first area that would take you to a peak, and then let Monsters be fought in the two grassy plains area as well.

I actually like Marshlands for the most part. It's all connected really well, as stated above.

Deserted Island is still great, but the loss of the base shortcut took away a lot of convenience. It gives monsters that spawn in the water area (hopefully that's just Plesioth...) the same issue Snowy Mounrains has. Way too far a run.

Complaining about running too much, but then something I've been thinking about since 4U that makes me sound a bit hypocritical: I wish Monsters had a varying spawn point. It kind of sucks that while a Monster may HAVE the ability to move to different areas and give a different feeling to the fight, they rarely do so in online killfests. This means you're always fighting the same Monster in the same Area, time after time.

I don't want it random (imagine the few that can travel the whole map with such a thing), but have the game pick between two or three designated spawn areas. Even two would aid a ton in not only giving more variety in gameplay, but also make the Monsters feel like more of a living thing. Like, you mean to tell me Mizutsune ALWAYS spawns in the little hut area of Misty Peaks?... Why not in either of the two water areas? Why the huts only?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm also pretty disappointed in the map selections. For first gen I wish we had gotten that swamp instead of the Dunes. For second gen I wish we had gotten the Jungle/Island instead of that swamp and the Great Forest instead of the Volcano. For third gen I wish we got the (not so) Flooded Forest instead of the Deserted Island. The fourth gen maps are fine.

The Arctic Ridge/Snowy Mountain is disappointing in this game. For some reason it seems like monsters can;t go down to the base of the mountain anymore. I used to love fighting Blangonga and Tigrex down there.

Gvitor

I'm also pretty disappointed in the map selections. For first gen I wish we had gotten that swamp instead of the Dunes. For second gen I wish we had gotten the Jungle/Island instead of that swamp and the Great Forest instead of the Volcano. For third gen I wish we got the (not so) Flooded Forest instead of the Deserted Island. The fourth gen maps are fine.

The Arctic Ridge/Snowy Mountain is disappointing in this game. For some reason it seems like monsters can;t go down to the base of the mountain anymore. I used to love fighting Blangonga and Tigrex down there.

Khezu can. And I hate when he does that.

Khezu still goes to area 1 in Snowy Mountains. But yeah, I never liked that map for the same reason everyone said. And I prefer the Gen 1 swamp over Gen 2. And wish we got Gen 3 Volcano for the required fire map.

Mupod

I saw Kushala go to the mountain base. It was convenient 'cause I could just jump on him from the ledge over and over.

Sane_Man

Do you have other elder dragons showing up? These quests change every time out, sometimes teo's gonna be there, sometimes he not. I dont know that you need to do anything special to unlock him.

Edit: doesnt show any prerequisite here.

Thanks man. When I checked it had showed up with a 'new' marker next to it. Either I missed it completely which is possible or doing some 3 star village quests unlocked it.

co1onel

Tigrex can still go to the base of the mountain.

I just wish we got any desert other than 4u's. I hate area 2 in that map.

Infinite

Also ancestral steppe has the best song in the series.

Juraash

Well I removed the c-stick nub and swapped to the psp cap....

I was so resistant, I was so sure I just wanted to keep it stock and just have Nintendo fix it. I was so bummed it wasn't working anymore.

But I bit the bullet, bought some psp parts and just swapped it. Holy shit, everyone who has said how good it is is not lying. It works perfectly now and is more precise than ever. And to top it off, I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg or send it off.

Hugstable

Banned
Any tips for Blangogo? I just tried to fight him in the HR1 Urgent quest and got destroyed, felt like I only took him to half health or so. He's so fast that I can't dodge his attacks as reliably as I've been doing for other monsters.

ChrisD

Just had the single most confusing online quest in my hundreds of hours playing this series.

So this guy grabs a quest. He was laggy, teleporting around in the previous round, but who cares, right? It took about seven seconds for the system to give me the quest once I hit A to select it, so I knew for sure that I wasn't just seeing things.

Battle starts and the guy is just standing there. But he's warping. While standing still. And taking damage from nothing. While warping while standing still. And swinging his weapon!.. While warping while taking damage from nothing while standing still.

It was the strangest thing. We were disjointed entirely. It was made pretty clear when he died to nothing. But it was MOST clear when I killed Rathian -- the Target monster -- and the Quest didn't clear. I ran to the area he was in; where he was now running in place or in short spurts, but he was still teleporting every two~ seconds. He ran to the area where the dead Rathian lay, and... Was fighting Rathian. I couldn't see it, of course, but I knew because he got poisoned at some point and was clearly fighting something.

After about a minute of teleport-man fighting a phantom, the Quest cleared. It was probably a good four minutes of waiting between the time I killed her and the time the quest cleared. Oh, but my timer stopped entirely once I killed her. So... Yeah, we had two quest clear times I guess.

I really can't say it enough, it was strange.

The Great Forest was GOAT, that map really needs to come back.

Khezu still goes to area 1 in Snowy Mountains. But yeah, I never liked that map for the same reason everyone said. And I prefer the Gen 1 swamp over Gen 2. And wish we got Gen 3 Volcano for the required fire map.

Gen 3 Volcano over Volcanic Hollow, sure, but old Volcano does well enough I think. Another case of Marshlands. It's mostly accessible, and the monsters aren't relegated to just a few places.

Edit: well, idk. Volcanic Hollow's actually pretty decent. I guess I'm still just annoyed after 4U using it twice heh.

Also ancestral steppe has the best song in the series.

Definitely.

Any tips for Blangogo? I just tried to fight him in the HR1 Urgent quest and got destroyed, felt like I only took him to half health or so. He's so fast that I can't dodge his attacks as reliably as I've been doing for other monsters.

Try Adept style if you're not using it? I don't know much in the way of Blangonga specific tips, that thing still kicks my butt if it's at equal difficulty level with my armor. He preys on making impatient moves, I can tell you that much. Try to hit him less when he's hopping around (haha like that ever stops happening) and more when he's doing things like blowing his ice breath. Also you MAY be able to roll through his ground pound's quake effect? Not 100% sure because yeah, I Adept against him.

SCREW
THAT
BULLDROME

If it wasn't the main target I could have just killed him then took to Mizu.
That's still the only quest I've failed and all because that freaking Bull kept interfering with the fight. I haven't been angry at MH in a long while, but him ramming me right into Mizu's super slam to take my last life (he also was the root cause for the other two) had me pretty livid.

Nah livid is when you are doing a capture mission and one of your cats kills the target while you're laying the trap. :|

Edit: I always carry a few dung bombs for situations like you describe. Pop one on the bulldrome and he'll get out of there quick smart.

Afrocious

As much as I liked MH4, I can't seem to get into MHG. I found Village 1 boring and somehow made it to Village 2. I failed my HR 1 as well. I understand struggle but IDK what's up. Maybe I'm weak.

I can say I can't figure out what weapons I want to use.

Pejo

Dammit I hate when you get a group for urgent and the dude spams his quest in and leaves after his, then everyone else leaves too. I wish I could retroactively kick people.

Weird. Had to get a new 3DS, and for some reason I've lost my save file.

I transferred my ID (had to call Nintendo since my old 3DS died and couldn't be repaired), and I'm even using the old SD card (unless the repair place gave me the wrong SD card). What gives? Anything else I'm missing?

(I'm also missing some themes and stuff that don't seem to be re-downloadable)

Top Bottom