• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

I've been contemplating MHGEN from afar due to how much I played and how much time I've sunk into the previous games. I tried my hardest but in a moment of weakness, I downloaded the demo and have it ready to play on my lunch. I feel like I already know what's going to happen soon after.

Pejo

Finally got a good group for 7* Nark last night, got my HR unlocked. Feels good! I was surprised that not much unlocked after beating him other than the color selector.

I think since I'm super close anyways, I'm going to farm the rest of the things I need for the Arc S set. It looks pretty cool and it seems like a good starter set for endgame hub stuff. Afterwards, I'm going to finish up the village stuff I need to unlock the Coal charm farming quest. My charms that I've gotten from just playing the game are complete ass. Actually, that's not entirely true, I have a few great gunner charms, but I have never played a gunner class yet.

Do you guys at endgame work on a weapon of every element, or do you just go for the "best" weapons instead (seems to be hellblade in this game)?

redcrayon

Finally got a good group for 7* Nark last night, got my HR unlocked. Feels good! I was surprised that not much unlocked after beating him other than the color selector.

I think since I'm super close anyways, I'm going to farm the rest of the things I need for the Arc S set. It looks pretty cool and it seems like a good starter set for endgame hub stuff. Afterwards, I'm going to finish up the village stuff I need to unlock the Coal charm farming quest. My charms that I've gotten from just playing the game are complete ass. Actually, that's not entirely true, I have a few great gunner charms, but I have never played a gunner class yet.

Do you guys at endgame work on a weapon of every element, or do you just go for the "best" weapons instead (seems to be hellblade in this game)?
To be honest I work on a couple of all-round weapon options that work well with my armour sets, rather than base the armour around the weapon. I'm more likely to go with poison, stun, high raw or high sharpness than an elemental weapon as it's useful against almost everything then.

Dak'kon

I've soloed all my Urgents up until now (have HR7 Urgent) but I know I'm going to need a group to do Nark at some point -_-

I've just got the Arc S set and levelled it up a bit but I really don't think I'll use it for that long. Peak Performance is great when playing in groups and you can heal up while a mount is happening but chip damage is so easy to sustain I never feel like I'm making the most of it. Rationer is useless and since you get 11 points in Handicraft even that feels like a waste without a Handi charm. I want to go back to a Crit Eye+3, Crit Boost set at some point.

Like always it depends on what weapon you use but it's always good to have various endgame weapons. I main HH so it's based on elements and songs mostly. Affinity if I can get it.

Pejo

To be honest I work on a couple of all-round weapon options that work well with my armour sets, rather than base the armour around the weapon. I'm more likely to go with poison, stun, high raw or high sharpness than an elemental weapon as it's useful against almost everything then.

Yea this is what I've always done in the past, too. I definitely want to try some of the elmental weapons this time though, since I'm maining IG and it hits really fast with Red Extract. Just wanna see how different the average kill times are using elemental weapons against monster weaknesses. It sucks experimenting with IG though because you have to level the damn kinsect every time too.

I've soloed all my Urgents up until now (have HR7 Urgent) but I know I'm going to need a group to do Nark at some point -_-

I've just got the Arc S set and levelled it up a bit but I really don't think I'll use it for that long. Peak Performance is great when playing in groups and you can heal up while a mount is happening but chip damage is so easy to sustain I never feel like I'm making the most of it. Rationer is useless and since you get 11 points in Handicraft even that feels like a waste without a Handi charm. I want to go back to a Crit Eye+3, Crit Boost set at some point.

Like always it depends on what weapon you use but it's always good to have various endgame weapons. I main HH so it's based on elements and songs mostly. Affinity if I can get it.

I actually have a +4 Handi charm with 2 slots that I was planning on mixing with the armor. It was the driving force for my decision to finish farming what I need to make it. What is the attack buff number at full health btw? 15?

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Last night I found a group in the Reddit MH Discord, and joined up with them for doing Dreadking Rathalos the whole way through. The group had a LBG user who completely carried us through the whole thing. Not only did she get 2 paralysis procs and a KO every hunt, but she also came decked out in a Wide-Range+2/Mushroomancer/Herbology/Speed Eater/Light Eater set. I'd lose 80% of my health in a hit, only for it to be full 3 seconds after I got up. Probably the best "support" class I've ever seen, props to her.

Mupod

playing support LBG with a Kettleblower was fun in MH3U multi-monster hunts. You just feel like you're making the monsters absolutely miserable. Also the gun makes nonstop cat noises.

Dak'kon

I actually have a +4 Handi charm with 2 slots that I was planning on mixing with the armor. It was the driving force for my decision to finish farming what I need to make it. What is the attack buff number at full health btw? 15?

Oh well then that's perfect then. Don't think I have a single Handi charm :(

Peak Performance is same as AuL so that's +20 I think?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
"Default loadout" what are you plebs talking about? I have 2 pages of saved item sets, none of them is more default than the other.

Ohnonono

HR6 Glavenous down! He was much easier to fight in the Dunes. One more kill on him and I should be able to upgrade my SNS to the second to last level. Then time to beat on HR water dragon and upgrade his DB. Then its on to deciding to push on to HR7 or maybe start on hellblade or silverwind. I am assuming that Hyper monsters and the Deviant monsters are roughly similar? Meaning if the only thing left for me to do to upgrade my stuff is get Hyper parts and tickets then I should be in the range of being able to tackle the Deviants?

Dak'kon

Is there a list on how to unlock certain Hyper monsters? I need Hyper G.Magala and Blangonga but I don't have quests for them even though I seem to have pretty much everything else.

Do you have to reach a certain HR to unlock Akantor?

ChrisD

"Default loadout" what are you plebs talking about? I have 2 pages of saved item sets, none of them is more default than the other.

...two pages? I only have eight slots to fill, all on one page.

Can you seriously L/R through pages? I feel pretty stupid never noticing that.

Tarps

I've never really found a need for more then just a few item load outs.

Mine are:

Blademaster all purpose
Extra Traps
H/C Drinks
Gunner

We don't even need a gathering set any more.

Let us know what you're packing!

Dak'kon

I think he was being facetious :p

L/R only scrolls through the pages of the specific item set. So unless you can unlock more you only get 8.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, what? There's only one page of item slots, you don't get 2.

For me I have an express blademaster set, a full blademaster set (with traps and flash bombs and shit), a gathering/mining set, and then a set with different ammo loadouts for every gun I use

ChrisD

I think he was being facetious :p

L/R only scrolls through the pages of the specific item set. So unless you can unlock more you only get 8.

Okay I feel a bit less dumb now haha.

I have every slot filled, but four of them are just my aforementioned basic + a Hot Drink, Cold Drink, Antidote, or Cleanser. The other three are Gunner load outs.

Wanderer5

Is there a reason you want the Teostra horn over Hellblade? I know it has a third extra Blast but Hellblade has white sharp, a bit of affinity and Attack Boost L song. I guess it's more of a pain to upgrade too :p

Well first off, I not sure if I want to focus on multiple deviants lol, cause honestly I been thinking of looking at Dreadqueen Rathian, at least up to around Lv 7-8, but that going to be still a lot of work and pain alone lol.

Teostra's Orphée is still pretty good and without the hassle that Hellblade is likely to be.:p While it doesn't have Attack Boost L, it has Defense L and Negate Stamina L, plus dat extra blast, whew. Also I LOVE its design and sound.

lionpants

What? You actually need to bring the combo books with you to get their effect? Also, why bring Combo Book 1 and not greater ones?

What? You actually need to bring the combo books with you to get their effect? Also, why bring Combo Book 1 and not greater ones?

You need 1 for 2 to work, and so on. Also you bring them to the hunt because it's a gameplay mechanic of choosing sacrificing inventory space for combine chance. You also have food effect or armor skills if you reallly don't want to bring them. Anyway most of the time you just bring your stuff already pre-combined. It's mostly a gunner thing for ammo.

tuffy

If you're combining out in the field, you need to have them with you in order to help. And I only have Combo Book 1 in my default set because I only have combination materials for normal shot lv. 2, which is brought to 100% success rate with one book.

PKrockin

Each combo book by itself only increases combination odds by 5%. If you want higher combination odds without crowding your inventory you can eat for Felyne Combiner or get the combination armor skills.

lionpants

You need 1 for 2 to work, and so on. Also you bring them to the hunt because it's a gameplay mechanic of choosing sacrificing inventory space for combine chance. You also have food effect or armor skills if you reallly don't want to bring them. Anyway most of the time you just bring your stuff already pre-combined. It's mostly a gunner thing for ammo.
Makes sense. I just didn't know you had to bring them with you. If they're in your storage they're in effect when you combine is town, right?

Also, are the armor/power charms even worth bringing?

Beats

Makes sense. I just didn't know you had to bring them with you. If they're in your storage they're in effect when you combine is town, right?

Also, are the armor/power charms even worth bringing?

I'd say they're worth bringing.

Power Charm and Powertalons stack and end up giving you 15 extra attack together. Armor Charm and Armortalon give 20 defense together iirc. For Blademasters that might not be much additional defense but as a gunner I'll take any extra defense I can get.

lionpants

Cool thanks. I always just eat for Attack as well, assuming it boosts my attack? :)

Also, why are their so many of the same sauce in the list in this game? Pretty confusing.

PKrockin

If you're curious about attack boosts but don't want to look it up, you can always check your Status menu before and after.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

No, but in 4U there was 3 pages for item sets. I'm going to be in trouble when I start using gunner weapons in this game because I've got my entire first page already full up.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ok im checking my default item list:
Mega potions
Cool drinks
Hot drinks
Well done steaks
Whetstones
Pickaxe
Bugnets
Paintballs
Tranq bombs
Farcaster
Pitfall trap

Used to be more.

Voror

Is it worth upgrading the initial Petrified Weapons or would it be better to save and go for the better ones? I guess that's one aspect I'm unclear about since I'm early on. I've got enough to upgrade several of them but not sure if it's worth doing.

LProtag

I've been a bit behind. I got up to Village 6 and just hit HR2. I made that armor that has Focus/Crit Draw on it with Seregios parts, so I think that will last me for a bit.

Sykotik

Just finished a Focus, Rapid+, Peak Performance bow set. If I could axe this damn Deviljo & friends quest I could add Crit eye +2 to the mix, but gotdam this thing will not die.

omg that Palico would be swapped out ASAP

I should start carrying Dung Bombs, but my Inventory is a preset with a lone empty slot. One I don't think to fill in with them. It's a goofy OCD-ish thing as well: Unless I can carry the maximum of any item into battle, none of the specific item will come along. Don't ask, because I don't have a good answer. :|

Yeah I don't know who did it as the monster was between me and the two palicoes. Cheeky buggers.

I definitely don't have item ocd. Number of times I've gotten ready to cap and then realised I have a trap but no tranqs, or vice versa.. Kind of embarrassing really.

15 hours in and I finally beat the Tetsucabra, I think I finally get Monster Hunter now. The excitement and fist pumping moment of taking down a big beast, man what an awesome feeling.

Top Bottom